As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Have they added more depth to Pokemon Go over the years?

Haven't played it in eons but when it first came out, didn't feel like there was much to it other than walking around collecting pokes. I mean, its fine, but I ended up wanting more out of it I guess.

There's definitely way more than when it first came out (also unlike that time, you can actually log in now :P). Raiding and PvP are probably the two biggest things. They've added lots of other things like buddy pokemon, mega evolutions, various events, sending gifts to people on your friends list, etc etc too.

It's still *mostly* about walking around and catching Pokemon, but there's a lot more stuff to do with them now.

Also research. You get regular research from pokestops that tell you to do things like "catch X pokemon" or "make X curveball throws" or any number of things that grant items or encounters with Pokemon. Then there's occasions that give you loads of special research. Typically, you have a group of tasks to do, then when you do them all, you get a set of bigger rewards.

They're also doing events much more often, and shinies are very much a thing and arguably easier to obtain than in the mainline games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Oh yeah, I forgot Research is a new thing since launch. That's a pretty huge one.

Anyways, no shiny Furfrou for me T_T I tried real hard but no luck. Did pick up two more shinies last night (Butterfree and a new one, Blitzel) as well as surprisingly a perfect Crogunk in a hat :3 So at least it was worth going out for a bit. I actually really wanted a shiny Glameow too but no luck there :(

Edit: Damn, I thought Shiny Purrloin was released but I guess that's a future Safari zone. Then I'm totally skipping spotlight hour. I can get double evo xp from home :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Ended Fashion Week with just a shiny Kirlia and a shiny Absol. Not mad at that, just wish Croagunk or Furfrou had popped shiny for me. I did nab a shiny Eevee this morning which was nice.

edited October 2022
    Looks like Evolving Stars details are coming out
    https://leekduck.com/events/evolving-stars-event/

Hello Altaria and Kangaskhan mega energy! (also Gyarados but I mean, the Mega Gyarados day is coming too) Too bad it's just those in terms of "haven't had a mega raid in awhile" (or at least long enough for me to get mega energy) but I'll take any new megas (also Altaria will be my first Fairy mega which I think covers all types for me except Dark which gets covered by Gyarados soon enough too).

I legit don't understand the Collection Challenges tho. Evolve these pokemon for... your evo items back? Huh? Maybe they think the evo XP is enough reward but I mean, you're spending candy too. Kinda lame. I'd actually skip but I like to check the boxes :3 (I'm hoping Leakduck is just missing some other reward like stardust or something)

3 evos for 2000 stardust is pretty ok tho :3 Most of these research tasks are not bad at all (except for the one with the early gen evo items because screw that stuff, I'm always throwing it away :P)

Edit: Also thank Christ the eevee collection quest is only for Flareon/Jolteon/Vaporeon. Still annoying due to randomness but at least that's only a candy cost and not a hassle like all the other Eeevolutions (seriously if they were gonna make me evolve an Espeon and Umbreon AGAIN after the garbage level 42(?) quest I was gonna riot).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I legit don't understand the Collection Challenges tho. Evolve these pokemon for... your evo items back? Huh?

For the evolution challenges, you have to evolve something to the Pokemon shown, not evolve it to something.

So the Sinnoh stone one: you evolve a swinub to piloswine and so on for 25 candies each, you get the 4 Sinnoh stones you'll need to evolve them to maoswine and so on (but you'll still need to grind the 100 candies each).

Hevach on
    edited October 2022
    Hevach wrote: »
    I legit don't understand the Collection Challenges tho. Evolve these pokemon for... your evo items back? Huh?

For the evolution challenges, you have to evolve something to the Pokemon shown, not evolve it to something.

So the Sinnoh stone one: you evolve a swinub to piloswine and so on for 25 candies each, you get the 4 Sinnoh stones you'll need to evolve them to maoswine and so on (but you'll still need to grind the 100 candies each).

Ohhh really? Ok, that's much more reasonable then. I was reading it as "you have to evolve these pokemon." That makes so much more sense. (also thank god I don't have to waste all that candy)

Warlock82 on

Ohhh really? Ok, that's much more reasonable then. I was reading it as "you have to evolve these pokemon." That makes so much more sense. (also thank god I don't have to waste all that candy)

Allow me to re-angry up your blood: apparently in the next step of the research, you have to have already collected enough Cosmog candy to evolve it. You only get the additional Cosmog candy afterward.

edited October 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Allow me to re-angry up your blood: apparently in the next step of the research, you have to have already collected enough Cosmog candy to evolve it. You only get the additional Cosmog candy afterward.

Did they not give us enough in the first research thingy? I can see if you spent it leveling him, but I *think* I should be close? I dunno. Maybe I need to make him my buddy :/

Warlock82 on
    edited October 2022
    I only have 3 candies from catching him and I'm positive I didn't spend any leveling up his 135 cp ass (I think the only time I've ever powered up a pokemon that's not done evolving is when I'm sitting on the candies to evolve it but need a sinnoh stone or something).

Edit: Actually, the last step of the prior research line with the objective, "Check back for more details soon..." gives 25 candies and 1000 stardust. That should complete when the event starts for you, then you'll have the candies to evolve him, which will get paid back in the fist step of the new research (which looks super grindy, but the following step doesn't drop until damn near Thanksgiving).

Hevach on
    edited October 2022
    I only have 3 candies from catching him and I'm positive I didn't spend any leveling up his 135 cp ass (I think the only time I've ever powered up a pokemon that's not done evolving is when I'm sitting on the candies to evolve it but need a sinnoh stone or something).

Huh.. I could have sworn the last step gave a bunch of Cosmog candy but maybe I'm misremembering.

Edit: At least according to Polygon:
    STEP 4 OF ??
    “Professor Willow is currently performing an investigation regarding this research. Check back for more details soon!” (789 XP)

Rewards: 25 Cosmog Candy, 3,000 XP, 1,000 Stardust

Does this not complete once the new questline is out? That would also explain why you only have 3 right now.

Warlock82 on
    edited October 2022
    Yeah, I edited it in after loading up the game and looking, the last step gives 25, but the objective is to wait until the next step unlocks, so you'll get the candies automatically as soon as you can actually use them. I'm guessing that's specifically so you can't accidentally burn them all and fuck yourself on the second phase.

Hevach on
    edited October 2022

Edit: Actually, the last step of the prior research line with the objective, "Check back for more details soon..." gives 25 candies and 1000 stardust. That should complete when the event starts for you, then you'll have the candies to evolve him, which will get paid back in the fist step of the new research (which looks super grindy, but the following step doesn't drop until damn near Thanksgiving).

Ah, whew. Okay, problem solved. Now if only my Cosmog didn't have the worst stats possible....

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2022

Ah, whew. Okay, problem solved. Now if only my Cosmog didn't have the worst stats possible....

Ah good :D And yeah, I actually got a kind of amazing Cosmog, but it's 14/15/15 which makes me so sad. It's only missing one point of attack but why'd that have to be the one to roll 14? T_T Ah well.

Warlock82 on
    And one last bit on that: It just dropped for me. The "check back" objective changed to "Catch 1 pokemon" instead of just completing itself.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK, my Cosmog doesn’t have an “evolve” button? WTH?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited October 2022
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Restart. I had to do it to get the evolve button to pop up.

General rule of thumb is that if something obvious or event-specific isn't working, restart.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2022
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Restart. I had to do it to get the evolve button to pop up.

General rule of thumb is that if something obvious or event-specific isn't working, restart.

Same. Was wondering if I missed an app update but it was just this. Weird that I did originally start it *after* the event went live tho, so like, why? Haha

Warlock82 on
    edited October 2022
    "Daddy look at this gym there's five shiny Eevees in it!"
    "Cool buddy put that shiny Vaporeon---
    "I put your UFO guy in it!"

And the little shit calls ME bad at games.

Hevach on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Well we tried to do Yveltal just the 4 of us and we got it down to 5% health and failed. Really sucks that we need one more person or my kids to pay attention to typing.

We did end up getting a Mega Lopunny afterwards so that's pretty cool I guess. I really should figure out how to use this Poke Genie to host raids.

If you need just one more you can spam raid invites at all your online friends. A lot will ignore it but they might click and if they see you already have four might stick around.

Dataminers did find a "ready to raid" status setting which would make that even easier.

urahonky wrote: »
    Well we tried to do Yveltal just the 4 of us and we got it down to 5% health and failed. Really sucks that we need one more person or my kids to pay attention to typing.

We did end up getting a Mega Lopunny afterwards so that's pretty cool I guess. I really should figure out how to use this Poke Genie to host raids.

Honestly, 75% of the work in hosting a Poke Genie raid is finding a raid near you. After that it's just taking the picture, accepting the friend requests that pour in, starting the raid, inviting your new friends, and then confirming in Poke Genie.

Really the only other factor to consider is that if there's a ton of open lobbies, you'll be in for a wait as the ones ahead of you fill up. But it's an incredibly fair system.

Yeah I'm just nervous about screwing it up when I host. Plus the issue is if I minimize Pokemon Go the game ALWAYS has to relog back in. And yesterday I opened poke genie to see types of something and it relogged back into the game but wouldn't let me join the raid.

Yeah I'm just nervous about screwing it up when I host. Plus the issue is if I minimize Pokemon Go the game ALWAYS has to relog back in. And yesterday I opened poke genie to see types of something and it relogged back into the game but wouldn't let me join the raid.

Ugh, that sucks. And shouldn't be happening - I never have to relog back in. What kind of phone are you using?

edited October 2022

Ugh, that sucks. And shouldn't be happening - I never have to relog back in. What kind of phone are you using?

I'm on a Pixel 6a. It also happened on my previous phones. If I ever "minimize" Pokemon Go the game never stays open for me.

e: By relog I mean it takes me to the splash screen and has to go through the process of getting back to the game. I don't have to type my username/password or anything.

urahonky on

I'm on a Pixel 6a. It also happened on my previous phones. If I ever "minimize" Pokemon Go the game never stays open for me.

e: By relog I mean it takes me to the splash screen and has to go through the process of getting back to the game. I don't have to type my username/password or anything.

Still, that shouldn't be happening. Never does on my iPhone. Maybe it's an Android thing? Is there an option in the app settings to do a background app refresh or such? I have mine on. I poked around on my app and I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe download all game assets to your phone in "advanced?" That would at least speed things up.

edited October 2022

Yeah, that's a phone memory thing. I always have to be careful about that too (and I've found that Pokemon Go uses a significant chunk of memory itself - like 1GB+). I recommend making sure everything else on the phone is closed and/or you don't tab to anything beyond PokeGenie. I've noticed it tends to happen if I switch to a lot of different things (web browsers will especially eat up a lot of memory). It will "close" Pokemon Go to allocate memory for whatever you opened/tabbed to, assuming you don't have enough free, which causes the re-login.

In terms of PokeGenie specifically, what I'd say is make sure you have notifications on. Queue up for a raid, once you get the notification that you've been matched, tab over, copy the code, tab back to Pokemon Go. IF it restarts, you should have enough time (hopefully) to still log in and add the friend, then tab back and click the button. Almost always after I've clicked the "added to friends list" button there's some amount of delay before raid invites go out so if you have to log in *again*, you should definitely have time (there's also like 60-80s before the raid actually starts so even if you get invited before you get back in, you have lots of time to join.. unless the host does a dumb).

FWIW, I don't know if Pixel has this (and it might be called something different like "Clean") but my Samsung has an "Optimize" button/widget I add to my home screen. It basically cleans everything out of memory. I tend to get into the habbit of clicking this before starting games so I can tab out without worrying about them restarting. (I honestly also find it nice for curbing power drain while the phone is off.. sometimes if I don't close down a high memory app like PoGo this way it will drain a ton of battery in the background even if I'm not playing) (I think you can also get apps to do this but I dunno if they work as good as the one built into the OS since the app is obviously using some of that memory itself)
    Still, that shouldn't be happening. Never does on my iPhone. Maybe it's an Android thing? Is there an option in the app settings to do a background app refresh or such? I have mine on. I poked around on my app and I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe download all game assets to your phone in "advanced?" That would at least speed things up.

There is (it's like a "Max background apps" setting), but you need to enable developer mode (I forget how to do it off hand but it's some kind of long press of something in the settings). I've messed with this but I don't think it helps a ton. But maybe Pixel sets background apps to some stupid low number by default, I dunno. I think the normal default is 4? (but maybe this isn't constant across every phone). Ultimately the biggest thing tho is how much memory your phone has. I dunno how much the Pixel 6a has (not even sure if it's an older phone?) but that is the main thing. You could set background apps super high but if you phone doesn't have the memory to keep that many going in the background it won't make much of a difference.

Warlock82 on
    edited October 2022
    I literally closed everything. Opened Pokemon Go, downloaded all of the assets, and refreshed the game data... Minimized it and opened Poke Genie, went into Type Effectiveness, then swapped back to Pokemon Go and it had to reload.

e: Tried it again and it worked. So I guess it's Russian Roulette on whether or not it works for me.

urahonky on
    edited October 2022
    I literally closed everything. Opened Pokemon Go, downloaded all of the assets, and refreshed the game data... Minimized it and opened Poke Genie, went into Type Effectiveness, then swapped back to Pokemon Go and it had to reload.

Yuck, that sucks. Yeah, might be your phone's memory is kinda low or something. Definitely look for that cleanup/optimize thing because even if you close everything it doesn't always clear them from memory, but this will. That might help.

Only other thing I can think is if you have the option, maybe load PokeGenie on a different device? Or I know leakduck.com has its own "Raid Now" thing which is web based so you could potentially use that on a computer or something (there's probably others too).

Edit: Unrelated but this is sick:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/xwvw39/i_made_a_mockup_of_how_the_new_halloween_map_is/

Apparently this will be what the game looks like for Halloween?

Also apparently Festival of Lights details:
    https://pokemongolive.com/post/festival-of-lights-2022/

Totally called Morelull being introduced. Just made so much sense since it glows.

Warlock82 on
    Okay so I disabled Developer Mode and it seems to be working now? I can minimize the game, go into PokeGenie, and back into Pokemon Go.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yay for dragonite candy and explosions!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Thank god, I messed up that one research where you need to take a pic and I can finally get it done lol

Local H Jay on
    Wonder if this has anything to do with Dragonite running superpower showing up all over Master league in the current meta.

The Mega Gyrados raid that begins tomorrow... After the 2-5pm time does that mean we'll have to get lucky and run into one in the future? Wednesday we caught a Mega Lopunny.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    It took four raids, but I finally managed to catch a Yveltal and thankfully it has great stats.

Finally installing Pokegenie was a good call.

edited October 2022
    The Mega Gyrados raid that begins tomorrow... After the 2-5pm time does that mean we'll have to get lucky and run into one in the future? Wednesday we caught a Mega Lopunny.

Mega Gyarados will only be in gyms during those hours (though you can do like, PokeGenie to raid in other timezones too). After that you'll have to wait until Mega Gyarados comes back as part of the raid rotation, it's not random or anything. Though right now there are event research tasks that also award Mega Gyarados energy so you can get one that way too (and this may also happen again in the future, hard to say).

Speaking of which, was out playing last night. How the heck is LeakDuck actually missing one of the event researches? There's a couple for power-up 5 that award venu/chari/blast mega energy (and I think some others). Not listed anywhere on their page. I thought maybe they just weren't event tasks at first but no, they have the gold border around them. Now I'm wondering if there's any that are for megas I don't have... (edit: Oh, they did update the page but only if you click into the task. The infograph is still wrong)

Warlock82 on

Mega Gyarados will only be in gyms during those hours (though you can do like, PokeGenie to raid in other timezones too). After that you'll have to wait until Mega Gyarados comes back as part of the raid rotation, it's not random or anything. Though right now there are event research tasks that also award Mega Gyarados energy so you can get one that way too (and this may also happen again in the future, hard to say).

Dang that makes it way more complicated then.

edited October 2022

Honestly if you can get 300 energy that's all you need (that's like two raids). It will take awhile to level him up to mega lvl 3 without more (need to either walk a gyarados for more energy or wait a couple days each time for the mega cost to be free/super cheap) but just getting one mega evolved at all makes it much easier.

Also like I said, there's event research for Gyarados Mega energy so that will help a bit too. If you somehow get unlucky with raid day you can try to farm enough of those to hit 300 energy.

Edit: But yeah, I started playing again in April and started actually Poke Genie raiding in June and this has been my first opportunity to get a Mega Gyarados :/ (he might have been available April-May, not sure, but I didn't know about remote raids then so I wasn't really raiding at all)

Warlock82 on

Honestly if you can get 300 energy that's all you need (that's like two raids). It will take awhile to level him up to mega lvl 3 without more (need to either walk a gyarados for more energy or wait for the mega cost to be free/super cheap) but just getting one mega evolved at all makes it much easier.

Also like I said, there's event research for Gyarados Mega energy so that will help a bit too. If you somehow get unlucky with raid day you can try to farm enough of those to hit 300 energy.

Well my kids are going to be gone on Saturday and my buddy has something going on during 2-5pm.

Mainly my son wants one SO bad.

edited October 2022

Honestly if you can get 300 energy that's all you need (that's like two raids). It will take awhile to level him up to mega lvl 3 without more (need to either walk a gyarados for more energy or wait for the mega cost to be free/super cheap) but just getting one mega evolved at all makes it much easier.

Well my kids are going to be gone on Saturday and my buddy has something going on during 2-5pm.

Mainly my son wants one SO bad.

If you can get PokeGenie to work you can definitely raid him pretty much all day Saturday (and some Friday night) by raiding in other time zones (I have no clue if the extra shiny chance is active for that or only your local time, but you'll for sure get the mega energy). Otherwise the event lasts like 4 more days so there's a little time to try and get it that way too.

Edit: Silph Road people say shiny rate is tied to the raid itself so boosted shiny no matter when you remote raid

Warlock82 on