As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my brain went "Ooh Space Shuttle!" and I wanted one.

I didn't realize how much he was in demand since people were complaining how fast he sold out on Hasbro. Guessing most people were buying him there since Walmart doesn't have the best track record of shipping pre-orders.

I should cancel this preorder and leave it for those who really want him.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don’t think it’s selling out from Walmart any time soon

Speaking of Walmart exclusives, just got ML Retro Lizard and he’s super cool

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Won a halloween geico gecko funko from the promotion. This is the link if anyone wants to give it a shot. (It even has a tiny jack o lantern pail for trick or treating. =P) https://geckofunko.com/

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Won a halloween geico gecko funko from the promotion. This is the link if anyone wants to give it a shot. (It even has a tiny jack o lantern pail for trick or treating. =P) https://geckofunko.com/

Lmao I won a green one nice, thanks for posting that

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    OH HELL YES! My Cosmos actually shipped instead of getting canceled! Avoided the Walmart curse again!

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Last time I had a Walmart pre-order cancelled was a discounted Astrotrain. I figuted it was because it was too good of a discount.

Glad to hear you have a Cosmos on his way. Especially since he is like a real UFO. Hard to spot and get on camera.

I also just realized you are on TFW since I saw your avatar over there.

Edit: I forgot about this. Clicked on the link and got a green one too! Thanks!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    They start giving out the orange ones in about two days, and the glow in the dark ones starting on the 24th. <3

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I preordered Hiya Toys 3.75" G.I Joe Snake Eyes on HLJ (I didn't see him on any American retailers yet).

I don't have much experience with Hiya outside of their RoboCop figures (movies 1 and 2) but their 1:18 scale ED-209 is freakin' awesome and gives the larger 7" scale NECA version a run for its money. The Hiya version even has articulated toe joints (something the NECA version lacks) and sound effects from the movie, and is pretty well painted and articulated.

I'm sorely tempted by their Aliens M577 Colonial Space Marines APC (in the accurate olive drab coloring and not the first edition black one) but the price and size make me hesitant to pull the trigger. I've heard that the ankle joints on the 3.75" Colonial Marines are very fragile and result in easy breakage.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Last time I had a Walmart pre-order cancelled was a discounted Astrotrain. I figuted it was because it was too good of a discount.

Glad to hear you have a Cosmos on his way. Especially since he is like a real UFO. Hard to spot and get on camera.

I also just realized you are on TFW since I saw your avatar over there.

Edit: I forgot about this. Clicked on the link and got a green one too! Thanks!

I saw that recolored Astrotrain on Walmart and normally I love anything NASA Space Shuttle related but the shuttle mode on that particular mold is kinda rough. I'll have to think about it.

Also, small world since I suspect there's a bit of overlap between these PA boards and TFW2005. :smiley:

Raiju on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I just snagged Transformers Earthrise Sky Lynx and Velocitron Cosmos (both used) for $140 total from a local collector and I’m pretty satisfied with that considering their aftermarket prices

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wait... How much is a used Sky Lynx going for?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wait... How much is a used Sky Lynx going for?

Seems to be around $100 (if you’re lucky) to $160, trending more towards the higher end.

And then Velocitron Cosmos is a Walmart exclusive that is sold out everywhere and already being marked up x2 or x3 by resellers

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Cosmos is ONE per case, as a store exclusive, was an original mold, and was basically the first attempt at a modernized, G1 accurate toy this S2 character has ever received. Honestly its surprising that Hasbro didn't see this coming and packed more of him per box. If only they did 4 figures to that case instead of five, forcing two figures to only be one per case.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    There might be cheaper and/or faster places to order it from, but the next MPG trainbot, Suiken, just hit Hasbro Pulse.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-masterpiece-mpg-04-trainbot-skuiken

I wish there was a better shot of the back. All of these seem to have pretty massive backpacks.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Cosmos is ONE per case, as a store exclusive, was an original mold, and was basically the first attempt at a modernized, G1 accurate toy this S2 character has ever received. Honestly its surprising that Hasbro didn't see this coming and packed more of him per box. If only they did 4 figures to that case instead of five, forcing two figures to only be one per case.

I bet they did tbh, it’s far from the first figure they’ve short packed.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

I bet they did tbh, it’s far from the first figure they’ve short packed.

It's also Walmart ordering the exclusive and quantities, from what I've gathered.

Hasbro: "We have this cool throwback unique mold. It's not something most kids would want, but the collector community will love it."
    Walmart: "Awesome! We'll buy the exclusive rights to sell it, and package it with these other ones."
    Hasbro: "Okay. How would you like it shipped?"
    Walmart: "You said it's not something most kids will want, right? Well, howabout 1 to a case."
    Hasbro: "... Are you SURE about that?"

• Options
    Yeah it’s unfortunate, it’s a pretty fun TF. I’m glad I was able to get one.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    There might be cheaper and/or faster places to order it from, but the next MPG trainbot, Suiken, just hit Hasbro Pulse.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-masterpiece-mpg-04-trainbot-skuiken

I wish there was a better shot of the back. All of these seem to have pretty massive backpacks.

Snagged thanks! I'm all in on this set to display as model trains that transform.

@Raiju I know of four of us now. Never realized the overlap on forums.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    With Thunderking I finally posted enough on the TFW2005 forums to throw down one of my standard avatars. >.<

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, who was looking for a transforming dog turd?
    https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-botbots-custodial-crew-pet-mob-32-character-bundle
    c88ettgbeitu.png

Also included: the transforming rubber glove to play with your transforming turd, and a transforming box of kitty litter.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I found Waldo!

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Put in preorders for the two Dinobots in March.

Really thinking on Needlenose, he’s up there with Spinister for “toys I remember spending a lot of time with.”

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Nobody wrote: »
    Put in preorders for the two Dinobots in March.

Really thinking on Needlenose, he’s up there with Spinister for “toys I remember spending a lot of time with.”

Just saw this on TFW about Needlenose.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/10/13/legacy-evolution-deluxe-needlenose-behind-the-scenes-467908

Edit: That talk about him and the photos made me decide to keep my pre-order of him.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    No real interest in the board game, but damn I love the figures for this

sp2a1vklrgnj.jpeg

Prohass on
  • Options
    Won the orange one. ^.^

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Won the orange one. ^.^

All I get are coloring pages.
    i don't know why I'm entering.
    I don't collect the things.

But offer me a chance at something free...

see317 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I didn't win but then again, I don't know how many gieco geckos I need. But the gold one..

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Won the orange one. ^.^

All I get are coloring pages.
    i don't know why I'm entering.
    I don't collect the things.

But offer me a chance at something free...

Same here. My wife looked at me with that look of, "why???"

The stare is justified since I don't collect pops, and I need to stop adding to the clutter in the house.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I just want a fake gecko so I can get a picture of my real gecko sitting on its head.
    Is this too much to ask?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey ya'll, I haven't posted here in a while for a few reasons (one of them being illness), but just today I got the wigs that I had ordered last month, so I tried them on Junie.

Unfortunately the pink one I ordered turned out to be a size too small, but I was able to try the other two.

First is a lavender wig with pigtails:

ycfqclybz8a3.jpg

This was pretty much my favorite from the start, but it has one downside: it's made out of a cheaper synthetic than Smart Doll wigs. I'm guessing it's made out of Saran (ie Barbie hair) which has the unfortunate quality of looking like plastic. I'm not exactly sure what Smart Doll uses, but I think it's Monofiber, which is the best synthetic hair you can get. Even though it's synthetic, it does a really good job of emulating the look at feel of real hair.

The other wig was a similar style, just in white:

ahhwc90mgxak.jpg

I like this wig for itself, but not on June. I might try it on Mina if I ever get around to painting her face.

Since the pigtails are removable, I tried putting those on the Smart Doll wig, but the color and texture mismatch is too great, IMO:

fwsdgwgdqntk.jpg

I'm not sure how well the difference reads on camera, but in person it's super obvious and not great.

So in the end I went with the lavender Saran wig, figuring you can't tell how plastic-y it looks when it's up on the shelf, anyway:

di3ev163xdjn.jpg

This does spur me on to finally try my hand at wig-making, but I might not need to go that far. The pigtails are basically extensions with a small alligators clip holding them on. If I can just get some lavender extensions that match the Smart Doll wig, I can get the same look with my existing wig.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Can you dye the white wig to the color you want?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Can you dye the white wig to the color you want?

Maybe? It's still Saran, though, I don't see why I'd want to.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I was looking at picking up Eris until Legacy Tarn happened. I don't have a problem with having both of them, but Eris is apparently 20.5cm tall while Tarn is only 16.5cm tall and I'd rather they be similar sizes on the shelf (twins, Basil!)

So just put her on the MP shelf then? Yeah, she'll be bigger than the likes of the Autobot cars, but Soundwave and even my Unique Toys Octane will be bigger than her and that doesn't feel quite right; she should be able to look Soundwave in the eye.

Eh, I should just get her and see how she looks on the shelves; she might be fine as Tarn's big sister.

• Options
    I was looking at picking up Eris until Legacy Tarn happened. I don't have a problem with having both of them, but Eris is apparently 20.5cm tall while Tarn is only 16.5cm tall and I'd rather they be similar sizes on the shelf (twins, Basil!)

So just put her on the MP shelf then? Yeah, she'll be bigger than the likes of the Autobot cars, but Soundwave and even my Unique Toys Octane will be bigger than her and that doesn't feel quite right; she should be able to look Soundwave in the eye.

Eh, I should just get her and see how she looks on the shelves; she might be fine as Tarn's big sister.

I have her with MMC's Optus Pexus as a dancing partner.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    @Athenor You probably already saw this (and/or may be avoiding it so you can be surprised by the actual toy), but Mangmotion has done a video showcase for Cang Toys Thorilla, their original-creation 6th Predacon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnLszkA-ZPM
    There's a completed Predaking at the end there, too (with a second bull-guy-leg standing in for the as-yet-unreleased rhino-guy-leg).

The transformation to gorilla mode is what you'd expect from a gorilla transformer, if you've seen an Optimus Primal then you've pretty much seen this, but the transformation to, er, crotch-mode does an interesting thing with the hips that I haven't seen before.

• Options
    Woo hoo, Volks shipped Megumin already! Originally she wasn't supposed to be shipped until November! Can't wait to see my first Dollfie in person.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Also I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but Dollfie has a whole line of Disney Princesses - they've done Cinderella, Rapunzel, and most recently Elsa and Anna. I could have purchased Elsa when she was available, but ultimately I'm not that big into Disney stuff, even if I do think Elsa is pretty; I also wished for a more anime-style take on the Disney canon than Volks went with.

That said, I was curious if Volks was still selling Elsa on the Japanese version of their site, when they've cut off sales on the English version (they frequently do this), and to my surprise I found that the Disney Store is selling most of the licensed Dollfie BJDs:

https://shopdisney.disney.co.jp/search/?q=Super+Dollfie

Of course, it's Shop Disney Japan, and you can't put in a non-Japanese address on that website. But TBH, I wonder why they don't do the same on the American website? Like obviously it's going to be a niche collector's item, but it's not like no American Disney collectors will want them. Disney knows there are people who pay a fortune for Disney stuff, otherwise there wouldn't be a Disney luxury gated community. A gigantic collector's doll for $800 a pop seems cheap by comparison.

Edit: I know this is a weird thing to fixate on, but I can't stop thinking about it. Disney, why wouldn't you have these in your American store? They're exactly the sort of ultra-expensive collector's fofaroo that you'd expect in a Disney story. The "only at Disney" shine you go looking for when you see a Disney brick and mortar store. Like how FAO Schwarz has/had those super giant stuffed toys that cost a fortune. Do they reject it because BJDs are a very Asian sort of hobby? Like Dollfie is a Japanese institution, but only collectors have heard of them in the States. But that hardly seems like a good reason! There are plenty of Japanese "institutions" that became wildly popular once they were introduced in the USA - Anime, Hayao Miyazaki, Akira Kurosawa, just to name a few. Why, Disney, why??

Cambiata on
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    My guess would be some kind of licensing shenanigans, like Volks has the license for Disney collector dolls for the Asia market and another company has the license for the US or something. There was apparently a similar thing a few years ago with Bandai Star Wars kits, though that's since changed.

That said, someone could presumably use a forwarding service to order from the Disney Japan site, so if they really want one of those dolls it should be easy enough. Obviously some buyers aren't going to jump through those hoops, but that's probably not much of an issue with a niche collector's item.

• Options
    MelonTron wrote: »
    My guess would be some kind of licensing shenanigans, like Volks has the license for Disney collector dolls for the Asia market and another company has the license for the US or something. There was apparently a similar thing a few years ago with Bandai Star Wars kits, though that's since changed.

That said, someone could presumably use a forwarding service to order from the Disney Japan site, so if they really want one of those dolls it should be easy enough. Obviously some buyers aren't going to jump through those hoops, but that's probably not much of an issue with a niche collector's item.

I dunno, I think licensing is not it, because Elsa was available to buy for Americans on Volks store a scant few months ago. I also fully expect them to release more Disney princesses in the future, who will again be limited release for the world, then go into Disney Japan to be sold for who knows how long.

Also there are people in Japan who are clearly buying up the dolls from the Disney store and then just selling them for double price on Ebay. Total assholes. Like I understand going a couple of hundred dollars up to make a profit, but double price is just fucked up. At least with the Lina Inverse Dollfie I've been jonesing for, there's a reason for them to jack the price up since those aren't being made anymore.

In my curiosity to see what, if anything, hardcore Disney fans think of this, I found out that back when Cinderella was released Volks did a 1 of a kind luxury Cinderella that sold at auction for $10k:

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/japanese-cinderella-super-dollfie-bjd-10k-auction/

Honestly she doesn't seem worth it. For $10,000 I expect hand-embroidered fabric, not machine embroidered. The trim on her dress should also be more delicate. But I guess none of that matters, the reason she auctioned for so high is because she's OOAK.

• Options
    Hopefully those eBay listings are with free shipping (since I'm sure the shipping will also be a killer).

Never underestimate the power of an one of a kind Disney anything. Heck even limited Disney stuff can go insane.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AntonioMabsAntonioMabs Registered User regular
    Is anyone into kitbashing? Just recently got into the hobby myself. Same with painting figurines and dnd. Started a campaign with my friends two weekends ago, really enjoying this whole world so far.