As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One Year In, We are Still Playing [Genshin Impact]

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    So there was an interview with the developers and, uh....it's not good. The tl;dr is:

Interviewer: "The players want more from the game, can you tell us what more they can expect?"
    HoyoVerse: "Nothing."

No permanent endgame modes are really on the table. They're designing 'other types of gameplay' for the future in the vein of the TCG, but Spiral Abyss 'gives players anxiety' so they aren't doing more of that. Old characters aren't getting buffs unless they make something else that specifically buffs them. (So, like, Diluc is only going to rise up as a Pyro DPS if they release a new character or weapon that does it.) Basically how Dendro buffed Keqing. It's a consequence, not an intent. No more reactions coming anytime soon. No resin cap increase in the future. They are 'working on' making the game more accessible for new players, so they can actually use characters they get without needing to get through four regions just so they can /start/ farming for them. And also, probably no more cross-overs, whether it's from their own games (Honkai, ZZZ, etc.) or others (like the Aloy, collab, aka, Aloy is never getting better, thanks).

Christ.

I'm fine with most of this. It's pretty much what I would expect, and I'm actually happy to hear they aren't doing any more crossovers. Although Aloy could stand to get constellations at some point, I don't care about her at all, so whatever.

The only thing that's disappointing is that I would like some more difficult content in the game. It doesn't have to be like the spiral abyss, but something like that roguelike dungeon that we had in an event a while back would be great. And I don't mean a re-run of that event or another event just like it (although that would be okay); I'd like it if it was in a regular rotation that we're encouraged to do every few weeks, like the Abyss. "Other types of gameplay" is kinda hit or miss for me. I'm actually looking forward to the TCG quite a bit, but most of the other stuff like this are things I don't care about. I play Genshin for an action RPG, I don't want to play hide and seek with randos.

AshtonDragon on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'd already decided I'll just play through quests in new patches and not frustrate myself trying to enjoy the game past that, because every little agitation is so much worse knowing they will never, ever spend a single man-hour on fixing anything.

I'm content to let the ToF team have my gatcha dollars for a while, its nice to have options for what I'm going to do each day and in general moving around and fighting is more pleasant, even if I've definitely felt the limitations of that game over time.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Genshin has a 6 week (currently 5 week) content release cadence. The vast majority of those releases now include new playable areas. That scale of content delivery is almost unheard of, and people are still complaining.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    wow that interview was the most non-interview ever. way to inspire the playerbase..
    it's annoying, they have this whole combat system which is kind of good and fun... but the story and writing has gotten progressively more tedious.
    upgrading my characters has only led to most of the game feeling trivial and silly. (when can we get higher world levels?)
    The Abyss is also pointless. what am i gonna do with the primos? upgrade my characters even more to make things even more trivial in the 'actual game'?
    it's just odd because most of the things you can actually DO in the game, are all about upgrading your characters. but there's only this old-basic-frustrating thing called Spiral Abyss where any of that actually matters.

i just don't understand why people would be inspired to continue throwing money at a project like this if the trajectory is going to be so... blah.

Xantus on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Getting new characters and building new teams is fun. I'm certainly excited to get new characters, even if I've had no real issues clearing Abyss 12 for a very long time now. That said, I kinda agree that throwing money at the game is unnecessary.

I also disagree about the story and writing getting any worse. Sumeru in general has been very good so far, in my opinion. The whole Vanarana questline was definitely... a lot, but it was pretty good, and all side content anyway. If anything, I'm impressed at how much there is to it.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've got no problem with the current way things are going. Happy to just collect characters and explore for loot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Genshin is, I'm starting to think, what you get when you put a bunch of casuals in charge of developing a big multiplayer game: endless new stuff to do, very little ratcheting difficulty, gated progression, or time pressure, indulgent storyline dialogue.

I don't even mean that as a judgment against it, just a description.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I don’t perceive as an expression of the developer’s nature. Per the remarks of player anxiety about The Abyss, I think it likely we need to recognize that they source enormous volumes of player feedback and appear to genuinely listen, which can occasionally backfire.

For instance, the period of Abyss Knights/Enkanomiya/The Chasm suggests they were developing ideas for more challenging gameplay and discrete “endgame -like” environments, but they definitely got a lot of pushback on that content, as well as the enemies in Inazuma. So rather than continue iterating on concepts of increased difficulty, they seem to have prioritized “general fun”.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I don't like the no buffing part, but ultimately I think that's ok for a couple reasons. First, their buffs to Zhongli were pretty overtuned, and they don't want to make that mistake again. And second, they've been avoiding power creep pretty damn well unlike every other f2p game.

As for no harder endgame content... That's just not the type of game this is. Never has been. If you want difficult endgame content, you need a different game. Hoyo has been pretty clear from the beginning that they're more focused on casual players.

I hear this argument a lot but you'll note that I didn't say "harder" endgame content. There's this misconception (not saying you're under it, just in general) that 'Endgame' has to mean Spiral Abyss when it doesn't. Endgame literally just means "things to do when you've finished the current content". Right now, the 'endgame' is only tangentially Abyss (since you can only do it once every few weeks) and the actual reality is that endgame is....artifact grinding. The TCG is something I'm not qualifying as endgame until it comes out because we don't know how repeatable it's going to be. If there's going to be a weekly refresh sort of thing with it, fine, if it's like Fishing where you have a lot to do at the start and then nothing? Then that doesn't really count. I just want something to do in the game when we aren't fresh off of a .0 release and there's actually stuff to do. I don't think that's crazy.

i also disagree that they've avoided power creep as well. Most of the old characters are still good because they've been intentionally designing the new ones to feel weak, sometimes unless you have constellations, sometimes just in general, because of how unintentionally powerful some of the older characters were. But then you have characters, old and new, who are just released bad and never fixed. Xinyan, for example, still has a bug with her skill where it doesn't always give her a Level 3 shield like it should. That was starting to become more known when Thoma was being shown off as a Pyro shielder, leading the idea being that instead of fixing her, they were just making a new character to do what she was supposed to do. And then Thoma came out and was....unimpressive is putting it kindly. Meanwhile, as said, Xinyan is still bugged and even if she wasn't, she still wouldn't be a great character to use because her kit is intentionally unoptimized. This 'solution' to power creep is not sustainable.

And it still happens. Jean is a niche character because there are simply better characters to use for VV shred and better characters to use for healing. The only things that keep her 'viable' are her Cleanse effect and the Attack Speed increase on C2. Keqing was the worst 5* for a long time because everyone else simply out-damaged or out-utilized her (Even Qiqi after the Clam set released) and it's only with Dendro that she has a place. But even still, she doesn't shine, she's just 'competitive' now. Diluc is easily out-DPSed by Hu Tao and even Yoimiya because even if his Burst gives him AoE, it doesn't produce enough to out-produce the single-target damage, nor is it enough to be worth keeping him around. We are still in the buffer zone where having two characters that do the same thing is good - take Yelan and Xingqiu for example - because of the Abyss but if they aren't going to add anything else to take advantage of that, Power Creep is going to hit hard around 4.0 if not before.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Genshin has a 6 week (currently 5 week) content release cadence. The vast majority of those releases now include new playable areas. That scale of content delivery is almost unheard of, and people are still complaining.

We 'complain' because the content delivered isn't actually substantive, sustainable or meaningful. They are lovely areas that you go through exactly once and then never visit again unless you need materials. Enkanomiya is one of the areas I like the most, visually, but I haven't been there for months because I have no reason to. I know I'm not alone in this. And then every update that doesn't add a map section adds events that do not remain in the game, despite having story connected to the main plot. Maybe an archon quest if we're lucky. Nothing actually enriches the game, it's just more stuff for the sake of more stuff.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    The world where adding new interesting areas to the game doesn't enrich the game is a wild one, that's for sure. I'm even more baffled what it would mean for content to be "substantive, sustainable or meaningful" especially since it implies what we have now has no substance, isn't sustainable and is meaningless.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I mean, the patches are nice and fun, but I suspect Mihoyo wants me to do more than log in for a few days every other month and never spend a dime.

Bethryn wrote: »
    The world where adding new interesting areas to the game doesn't enrich the game is a wild one, that's for sure. I'm even more baffled what it would mean for content to be "substantive, sustainable or meaningful" especially since it implies what we have now has no substance, isn't sustainable and is meaningless.

How is it not?

Take Tsurumi Island for example. It was added in version 2.2 almost literally a year ago. It's a gorgeous place with a great atmosphere, the quest there was some good lore and it did some neat things, like with the time loop thing. But you do it and then it's done. The only reason to ever go back is to farm the Golden Wolflord or gather Flourescent Fungus.

Take Enkanomiya. Version 2.4, so January of this year. Great area, very bleak look for very purposeful reasons, huge looks into the backstory of the game, interesting new mechanics that take advantage of its nature. Used for one of the best events in the game. Once it's done, you don't need to go back unless you need to farm the Vishaps boss.

Take Dragonspine. Version 1.2, December of 2020. Dangerous but really neat, presents an area that starkly contrasts Mondstadt and Liyue, several storylines that go through it, some secrets for weapons, had a whole thing for exploring the entire thing for rewards. It has the Heart of Depth/Blizzard Strayer Domain, which has been replaced with a Strongbox and the Cryo Hypostasis. And I guess the annual Christmas event that covers a lot of lore that doesn't stay in the game.

Hell, take the entirety of Mondstadt and Liyue at this point.

All these areas just kind of exist at this point. The areas that they add are much the same. If this was any other game, that would be fine. But Genshin is a game that demands your time, even if it doesn't demand a lot of it. HoyoVerse wants you to play it every day but doesn't give you incentive to. When you have explored the areas, there is nothing to do and this has been the case for a while, this has been something we have been telling them constantly. That's what I mean when I say the content doesn't enrich the game or add anything substantive or meaningful because it does nothing to build in the places where it's lacking. It doesn't add anything for you to do when you've run through the content, so your only option remains as Artifact Farming, which now expressly doesn't have a point once you can clear Abyss, since they basically said that they aren't adding more combat-focused endgame. It is stuff for the sake of stuff.

It isn't sustainable because they can't just keep adding areas. They just can't. They're already adding options for you to be able to clear data that you won't use to free up space and theoretically they could do that with entire areas of the map but what happens if you do need to get something from that area then? You just download it again and then delete it again when you're done? There are a number of factors that make it clear why that isn't tenable.

So then it becomes a case of "You don't actually need to play it every day", except you kind of do. If you're interested in experiencing the lore, you need to play when there's an event out because little bits contribute hints and things here and there. If you're interested in getting characters, you need to play for the free primogems and steadily build those up unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount of money. If you want to play the Archon quests or just explore the new areas, you have to make sure you've cleared the prerequisite content for them or else you can quickly get in a situation where you have to clear a quest to clear a quest to clear a quest so you can finally play the thing you wanted to play in the first place. So if there are all these reasons to play it at least semi-regularly, there needs to be things to do.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I mean there is literally a festival event going on in Mondstadt right now. Involving battle trials, a scavenger hunt, and... well ok a below average business minigame. But there's a reason to revisit the area. Now if you want to argue it's a temporary event that won't exist in the future, then yeah you have a point. But that's also a problem for a hypothetical future player, and they'll have content galore when they pick up the game. If it's *your* complaint that *you* have nothing else to do in Mondstadt... *you* have something to do *right now*. And in the future? Well Chinese New Year is coming up, so I'd gamble on Liyue getting the spotlight shone on it around Jan/Feb.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I mean there is literally a festival event going on in Mondstadt right now. Involving battle trials, a scavenger hunt, and... well ok a below average business minigame. But there's a reason to revisit the area. Now if you want to argue it's a temporary event that won't exist in the future, then yeah you have a point. But that's also a problem for a hypothetical future player, and they'll have content galore when they pick up the game. If it's *your* complaint that *you* have nothing else to do in Mondstadt... *you* have something to do *right now*. And in the future? Well Chinese New Year is coming up, so I'd gamble on Liyue getting the spotlight shone on it around Jan/Feb.

Yes, the temporary event in Mondstadt lasting less than 20 days being the only reason to visit Mondstadt right now is actually part of the problem. The temporary event that might last 20 days in Jan/Feb being the only reason to visit Liyue is not the answer.

Let's get this straight: Having a giant map of intricately designed places and no reason to visit them beyond temporary events is not a 'complaint', it's a design flaw when you have a live service game that wants you to play it often. I'm not suggesting they make it a big deal where you have to visit everywhere every week or something but just little things like respawning chests, maybe special enemies that drop double mats, more randomized random events that reward you for exploring in the exploration game would be nice. A hypothetical future player is still going to run into this issue eventually of having nothing to do unless they actually address it.

edited October 2022

Yes, the temporary event in Mondstadt lasting less than 20 days being the only reason to visit Mondstadt right now is actually part of the problem. The temporary event that might last 20 days in Jan/Feb being the only reason to visit Liyue is not the answer.

Let's get this straight: Having a giant map of intricately designed places and no reason to visit them beyond temporary events is not a 'complaint', it's a design flaw when you have a live service game that wants you to play it often. I'm not suggesting they make it a big deal where you have to visit everywhere every week or something but just little things like respawning chests, maybe special enemies that drop double mats, more randomized random events that reward you for exploring in the exploration game would be nice. A hypothetical future player is still going to run into this issue eventually of having nothing to do unless they actually address it.

To a degree, that's just how it works. It's not really different from an MMO in that regard. How often do you think I visit the Black Shroud in XIV outside of events, for instance?

Polaritie on
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    i just think it's crazy that the game has been out for as long as it has... yet things like the spiral abyss still have no way to co-op them.

they've consistently put effort into rolling out interesting and fun one-off event dungeons that many people missed / will never see, yet when it comes to day-to-day "content" it's still just the same-old options.
    co-op is still basically an afterthought. the ability to play old story missions or past events is just not there..

it could maybe be more 'fun' if re-rolling an account wasn't such an insane time-sink due to none of the dialogue being skippable.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I got Tighnari from my standard banner pity and now I'm actually running out of bows for my built characters. Stole Viridescent Hunt from Childe and gave him a R4 Rust but now I'm all out. Zero bow billets too, Ganyu's bow ate em all. Given how refining eats all the copies you get until the 6th its not really a wonder but it still feels a bit weird. And I haven't even built Gorou or Sara and I don't have Yoimiya or Yelan.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I got Tighnari from my standard banner pity and now I'm actually running out of bows for my built characters. Stole Viridescent Hunt from Childe and gave him a R4 Rust but now I'm all out. Zero bow billets too, Ganyu's bow ate em all. Given how refining eats all the copies you get until the 6th its not really a wonder but it still feels a bit weird. And I haven't even built Gorou or Sara and I don't have Yoimiya or Yelan.

If you want to swap Viridescent back to Childe, Slingshot is just as good if not better for Tighnari, and being a 3* is much more accessible. He's also the first character to really make full use of Windbloom Ode. So at least there are options.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Mirkel wrote: »

If you want to swap Viridescent back to Childe, Slingshot is just as good if not better for Tighnari, and being a 3* is much more accessible. He's also the first character to really make full use of Windbloom Ode. So at least there are options.

I don't have any Slingshots (3*s get used as weapon xp ASAP) or Windbloom Ode (was sort of bored at the time, didn't bother getting the bow). Already leveled up the Rust too. I don't use the older characters that much anyways and I got my Childe way back during his first banner, he has had plenty of time to shine. It's more that if I got one more bow character right now I'd like to build I'd really have no bow them unless I stole one from the previous characters. My other weapons types aren't that bad off, I think part of the issue is I've only ever gotten 4 bow billets in two years. And I haven't gotten any of the new bow billets yet, I guess the tree will spit one out eventually.

I wrapped up the final leg of the uh... Archaeology Quest Chain? last night.

Narratively, I enjoyed how much of it is about the Akademiya Old Guard completely incapable of unbiased historical evaluation and distilling your finds into the most idiotic and tedious theses.

In terms of gameplay, I got real sick of helping lost blue sparks find their homes. Seemed like there were a lot of mechanical ideas introduced, but they weren't able to confidently employ them to any real end. So instead you're just unlocking the means to turn off traps. Which is kinda fitting (from an Indiana Jones perspective), but not that fun.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I didn't mind most of the mainline puzzles being about blue sparks since they can give you a quest point to them while they're on the move, which is important for keeping track of them in these fully 3D underground spaces. I liked how the other puzzle types were introduced in sequence to familiarize you with King Deshret's unique puzzle grammar, found at many points throughout the desert but rarely on the critical path.

One of my favorite non-blue-spark puzzles, though sparks were sometimes involved, was the entirety of the main room at the Place of Breath with the various pairs of elemental totems.

Glazius on
    The Albedo one is great. That's why you always go for main body, not headshots.

I know this is speaking from the perspective of someone who's played this game for literal years (I hit AR60 the other day!), but dang, these upcoming banners look like some of the saddest of all time.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    metaghost wrote: »
    I know this is speaking from the perspective of someone who's played this game for literal years (I hit AR60 the other day!), but dang, these upcoming banners look like some of the saddest of all time.

C2 Albedo incoming for me, I think. The 4*s are admittedly a joke.

We need more like this Cyno / Venti one, which I'd be deeper into if I weren't afraid to miss Opening of Phanerozoic. Kuki and Sayu are both quite legit except that you probably already have 5-constellation Bennett if you've been at this a while. 6 if you're not a coward.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Yeah. I might throw a ten or two into the Weapon Banner and hope for the Jade Cutter but I'm not too interested otherwise. The Key doesn't look like it'll be good for anyone but Kuki and maybe Ayato if you end up with it, so I might not even risk it.

And it’s saying something that the Weapon Banner, Scam of all Scams, is much more enticing than either Character Banner.

Nilou seems like she might be fun to use, but the hyperfocus of her kit is not compelling yo me.

The Key is ugly.

And it’s saying something that the Weapon Banner, Scam of all Scams, is much more enticing than either Character Banner.

Nilou seems like she might be fun to use, but the hyperfocus of her kit is not compelling yo me.

I'm trying to figure out what comp even wants essentially permanent Hydro conversion and Bloom everywhere. She's as narrow as Shenhe, so I assume her results also go to 11 (Freeze Ayaka w/ Shenhe is just idiotic, y'all), but I'm not sure the team she goes with is even fully released yet. Candace may be involved?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out what comp even wants essentially permanent Hydro conversion and Bloom everywhere. She's as narrow as Shenhe, so I assume her results also go to 11 (Freeze Ayaka w/ Shenhe is just idiotic, y'all), but I'm not sure the team she goes with is even fully released yet. Candace may be involved?

I feel like I heard from somewhere that the devs actually intend for her to be in a 2 Dendro, 2 Hydro comp to maximize her unique Bloom mechanics. So probably Dendro MC, Nahida, Nilou and another Hydro. I haven't actually looked at her kit or anything, so I don't even know what to think about for the second Hydro slot. Instinctively, I wanna say Ayato for his burst but I dunno, that's literally just a broad guess.

Auralynx wrote: »

I feel like I heard from somewhere that the devs actually intend for her to be in a 2 Dendro, 2 Hydro comp to maximize her unique Bloom mechanics. So probably Dendro MC, Nahida, Nilou and another Hydro. I haven't actually looked at her kit or anything, so I don't even know what to think about for the second Hydro slot. Instinctively, I wanna say Ayato for his burst but I dunno, that's literally just a broad guess.

Unless Nahida is a healer, sounds like Kokomi or Barbara.

They are really in to Hydro conversion between Nilou and Candace.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited October 2022
    Candace has a lot of obvious pairings though. I'm planning to try something like Collei Nahida Candace Kuki for a hyperbloom setup. Hydro infusion+buff infusions is easy to work with.

Polaritie on
    I'm just hoping they get over their cowardice and give us a Hydro Greatsword with HP scaling so I can get rid of all these The Bells.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Still awaiting on that cryo catalyst too.

And I'm waiting for Hoyo to remember Geo exists.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I mean Itto/Zhongli/Albedo/Gorou is my go-to team when I absolutely positively want to wreck this fight. Like the new domain with the Gilded Dreams set. Sure it's geared towards doing elemental damage with mastery buffs. I just club them all to death in under 30 seconds.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Still awaiting on that cryo catalyst too.
    watch mihoyo release one with the natlan volcano region

Gamertag- Travan7838

Tried the Nilou test run thingy and the super dendro bombs were exploding for 15k. That's not bad at all.

I suppose if you use her you'd just want to spam hydro and dendro as much as you can to create bombs and bombs and bombs forever. I already have Kokomi and Tigh who both seem great for that sort of team so I'm a bit tempted to get her even if she is very niche.

Yeah, I think she's basically intended to be used on a team that's exclusively hydro/dendro and you just unleash bloom as fast as possible.

Cyno/Staff banners are still up in US, and I managed to squeeze out pity on the Weapon Banner (took 67 pulls across the patch).

Obviously got Elegy and not the Staff, but Cyno should be fine with the Missive Spear.

Of note: of those 67 pulls, 8 were Sacrificial Fragments, 3 were Lion’s Roar, and 1 was a Makhairia Aquamarine.