As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey Guys, Let's Look at Some Subscription Numbers

korodullinkorodullin What.SCRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So, for the first time in a year and a half, MMOGchart.com finally updated with (generally) up-to-date subscription numbers, gleaned from company press releases, financial statements, and general insider sourcing.

As for the numbers themselves, a few things are surprising, but most things aren't. World of Warcraft is quite unsurprising, and it even has its own chart detailing its meteoric rise. Most of the happenin' info is in the 50,000-700,000 subscriber range chart though. FFXI hasn't had any real updated data, sadly, but NCSoft's quarterly report recently showed that its properties are doing fairly well. City of Heroes/Villains has lost some subs recently, and is at its mid-2005 sub levels. Tabula Rasa is doing much better than I expected and is right around 125,000 subs. Pirates of the Burning Sea is too new to really get any data from and Vanguard is, unsurprisingly, doing extremely poorly.

Lord of the Rings Online seems to be doing quite well, though Turbine's always been hard to get numbers from, and it's entirely possible that it's not doing so hot now. The old standbys of EQ and UO continue to decline, but EQ2 seemed to pick up a bit. EVE continues to do its slow but steady chug up the subscriber ladder.

So what do the rest of you make of this? Granted, some of the info is six months or so out of date, but it's probably the best we have at the moment.

ZvOMJnu.png
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
korodullin on

• Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    vanguard is still online?

who knew

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And trucking at a measly 40,000 subs. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Pirates of the Burning Sea does, and to see if SirBruce can get more updated info on LOTRO.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Given that 2nd Life has been stuck under 100k for a year makes me wonder even more why that's the one newspapers/etc always choose to do stories about.

Scooter on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Given that 2nd Life has been stuck under 100k for a year makes me wonder even more why that's the one newspapers/etc always choose to do stories about.

everybody loves dong barrages

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited February 2008

Well, it's stuck at sub-100k paying members. It's impossible to keep track of free users, since they're always coming and going and getting banned for throwing dongs all over the place.

The reason it's the thing the mass media keeps latching on to is because it was essentially the first thing of its kind. Certainly not on its technical merits.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Given the lack of interest in our thread here a while back I thought lotro was dying but once I resubbed it seams that at least my server is pretty active.

And 2nd life is covered because they have good press agents who sell what it might be an not what it really is, IMHO.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dofus has nearly 400k subs? Are you kidding me? O_o I'm also shocked that FFXI has maintained 500kish subs. Though he does say that number is rather roughly estimated.

DDO at 50k a year ago... sounds grim. I'm actually picking up a copy of the game (for under $10) just to give it a try, I figure it's something I can experience as fully as I want within a month. Which, if others are finding the same thing, would explain the low sub numbers.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited February 2008
    Dofus has nearly 400k subs? Are you kidding me? O_o I'm also shocked that FFXI has maintained 500kish subs. Though he does say that number is rather roughly estimated.

DDO at 50k a year ago... sounds grim. I'm actually picking up a copy of the game (for under $10) just to give it a try, I figure it's something I can experience as fully as I want within a month. Which, if others are finding the same thing, would explain the low sub numbers.

Dofus is pretty big in France. It's basically a not-quite-as-poor man's Runescape.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FFXI's community has held pretty strong, so the 500k number wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

Murphy on
    edited February 2008
    I personally think it's either holding steady at 500k, or is slightly above or below it. It's always had more Japanese players than American though, and outside of UO and maybe WoW, the Japanese don't seem to do the MMO thing all that often.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    I personally think it's either holding steady at 500k, or is slightly above or below it. It's always had more Japanese players than American though, and outside of UO and maybe WoW, the Japanese don't seem to do the MMO thing all that often.

I really like the screenshots and in-game art.

Is it still the "have to have the right class, wait for hours for a group, blah blah blah" that drove me away from purchasing it in the first place?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited February 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

I really like the screenshots and in-game art.

Is it still the "have to have the right class, wait for hours for a group, blah blah blah" that drove me away from purchasing it in the first place?

I dunno. I have a friend who still plays it though, so I'll ask her.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those questions can be pretty easily answered by checking out the FFXI thread. But the game is a bit more forgiving now (though the playerbase isn't always).

Murphy on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

An excellent PR department.

Thomamelas on