As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Today I learned that a critical throw in Pokemon Sword isn't a guaranteed capture. It did the sound effect and had the ball shake but it still broke out.

Yeah, I was shocked when I found that out. I had always thought for so long that's what it meant, only to have a couple critical catches break out on me a few months back.

I forget exactly what it is but I want to say it gives the pokemon only one opportunity to break out instead of 3 or something like that.

Precisely that. When attempting a capture, the game rolls once for each visible shake. So if, say, the Pokémon has a 50% chance to escape for any individual shake, you have a real success chance of 12.5%. Because of the exponentiation involved, lowering a 'mons HP has a nonlinear effect on catch rate.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Are they finally gonna reveal
    regional fakes? :3 Let's goooooo vampire jigglypuff!

So I guess this was the update. A new gym leader and a new Pokémon tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HAaHc3wnc

In the old days she would the reason why this Pokemon generation never made it over to NA Gameboys.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

In the old days she would the reason why this Pokemon generation never made it over to NA Gameboys.

How so

BahamutZERO.gif

How so

Just over the top Japanese pop style. Although I will withdraw my statement and just say she most likely would have just been dubbed over or cut.

How so

Just over the top Japanese pop style. Although I will withdraw my statement and just say she most likely would have just been dubbed over or cut.

I see what you're driving at, though. Might be better to say "for the time, it would have been untranslateable, if not literally then culturally". In the same way that, like... there was/is that entire genre of humiliation/physical-comedy-based game shows in Japan, when in the 90s the American audience was keyed into somber quiz shows and, like, American Gladiator. Some suit in Nintendo America would have looked at that trailer and said "There's no audience for this in the US."

edited October 2022
    Kupi wrote: »

How so

I see what you're driving at, though. Might be better to say "for the time, it would have been untranslateable, if not literally then culturally". In the same way that, like... there was/is that entire genre of humiliation/physical-comedy-based game shows in Japan, when in the 90s the American audience was keyed into somber quiz shows and, like, American Gladiator. Some suit in Nintendo America would have looked at that trailer and said "There's no audience for this in the US."

We are used to it now but we have a ton of examples of very popular games in Japan not brought over in the Nes-SNES+ etc times heh. I agree thank you my brain is still meh this week heh. I had my booster on tues and flu shot today.

Jubal77 on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkfN-jyEcrI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rABZFQmWII

So they recorded the voice just for the youtube video since it appears the Iono isn't actually voiced in-game.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkfN-jyEcrI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rABZFQmWII

So they recorded the voice just for the youtube video since it appears the Iono isn't actually voiced in-game.

Yeah, that's exactly what I expected, and I hate it

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow attempting to catch Articuno in Sword is fucking stupid. He splits into 3 different and you have to pick the right one or else you have to do it all over again. My eyes aren't fast enough.

You'd think there's a 33% chance but I'm likely touching the same one every single time.

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Frogs are my jam, so a frog-thing that isn't just another water or normal type is right up my ally. Although I wish they didn't do the fake eye thing. Once you know where the actual eyes are, it ends up looking like some kind of weird ditto that morphed wrong.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea having all that VA and then going right into the game footage without it definitely hurt me a bit.

Just kinda showed me how much more I could enjoy these games of they actually added VA.

edited October 2022
    God damn it. We were so close to catching a Xerneas in the Dynamax Raid but the computer controlled trainer kept using substitute instead of actually attacking the boss. It was at like 3% health and his attack would have done it. But 3 turns in a row he would use substitute, lose some health, get hit by xerneas, and then repeat it on the next turn. Especially annoying when xerneas already uses an attack that hits everyone.

e: The computer AI is so fucking bad in this game it's a joke.

urahonky on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Martin's Solrock uses Cosmic Power!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I can’t understand their team choices for the AI. The two logical options to me:
    1. Make all the AI peeps have high stat Pokémon and damaging moves only.
    2. Make it totally randomly generated, so at least you’ll never see the same crap combo twice.

It’s like they went out of their way to make them suck. It felt like playing a joke mod.

Endless_Serpents on
    Yeah it feels like punishment because they want you to be online with other people. Which isn't guaranteed either because if the host drops at any point everyone loses out.

The reward for collecting all the wisps in Legends is pure sadism on Gamfreak's part.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm assuming it's spiritomb, but idk yet.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Martin's Solrock uses Cosmic Power!

I felt this in my soul

edited October 2022
    I think I kind of love the Lilipup line now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSOgsb2IeA&t=3s

Dr. Chaos on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    605tic8dnafq.png

PARKOUR

Or rather, getting to the top of the spring mountain at the beach with the wyrdeer.

If you guys ever felt like you were missing mons back when you transferred everything to Home, bank or swsh, don't forget about any misc systems in the games that might be holding on to them that aren't PC box related.

Popped open Ultra Moon a year later just now and found my dumb ass had left a lot of my best/well bred/favorite pokemon there in the poke pelago. A system I had completely forgotten existed.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I definitely am and I think they were just erased because I lost my perfect IV garchomp and half my xy pokemon despite definitely having them all

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    that doesn't really happen afaik
    they're prolly misplaced

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I would pay money to have the ability to sort your Pokemon in the Box in Pokemon Sword. Even if it's by type/level/etc.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I would pay money to have the ability to sort your Pokemon in the Box in Pokemon Sword. Even if it's by type/level/etc.

There is so much box organization stuff that really, really needs to exist. I hope (but don't expect) Scarlet and Violet improves this. Man, even just Legends Arceus, trying to sort my pokemon in any meaningful way was basically an exercise in tedious dragging and dropping, box swapping, etc etc. I eventually got that shit sorted by color but god damn I never wanna do that again (and also the system quickly fell apart as I got new stuff)

The big issue with Sword & Shield is that the jobs system wants certain pokemon types, but there's no actual way to sort or search by type (at least I don't think so) so it's a matter of scrolling through each page with the little preview window up and looking if a type I'm looking for shows in it. In some cases it's obvious what the type is because I remember or it's like, a pokemon that's on fire or something. But man there are a lot of pokemon that really should be a type they are not (ex: Crogunk not being water type, Drapion not being bug type, etc)

BTW Pokemon Company - if I'm doing a "search", please just return my search results. Don't gray out everything so I have to flip through 20 pages to find the 3 pokemon who are in color (which fuck me if it's Onix or something)

Honestly it feels like they design these systems around those people who only catch like 20 pokemon the whole game despite the games literally being about catching and collecting lots of pokemon. (it still weirds me out how many people play like that - not counting Nuzlockes of course... it feels so wrong :P )

Edit: Oh, oh, but Pokemon Home *almost* has this, albeit in the jankiest implementation possible. But you can at least sort by Pokemon #, age, etc, but only from a certain screen, not the one that you can actually move stuff around on. Still, I would *take* that for instances in the actual games where I'm just looking for a certain Pokemon in my boxes for something like the Jobs system in Sw&Sh. Like, literally give me anything, I'm begging you...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    If I ever make a game where you collect monsters, which is very slim chance, the UI for sorting them is top priority. I derive more joy than I dare to admit from sorting things.

Same.

Home really should have more functionality than it does.

Feels like a "sort by highest IVs" should really be a thing. I have a thousand pokemon and sorting all of them to see whats worth keeping and whats not is going to be really tedious anytime I set out to do it in a broader sense rather than a specific species based one.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I miss the BDSP dupe bugs having to grind 1,110,000 Money every shiny i hunt is boring.

edited October 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Same.

Home really should have more functionality than it does.

Feels like a "sort by highest IVs" should really be a thing. I have a thousand pokemon and sorting all of them to see whats worth keeping and whats not is going to be really tedious anytime I set out to do it in a broader sense rather than a specific species based one.

In no particular order:
    - Search by name. What you want is at the top.
    - Sort by route/area caught, and the boxes get backgrounds of that route.
    - Sort by type, and the background reflect that.
    - Sort by dex order.
    - Sort by oldest or newest.
    - Sort by highest or lowest values.
    - Sort by highest or lowest level.
    - Sort by colour, for fun.
    - Sort by nature.
    - Pair off! Which randomly picks two compatible mons for breeding, which you can pretend isn’t just numbers.
    - Head to head! Which randomly selects two mons as friendly rivals.
    - Buddy up! Which semi-randomly puts clumps of mons together as friends, bent towards those that have been in the party together.
    - Oh, size too.
    - Plus you should be able to mix a few options together
    - Also many box background customisation things, naturally.

I’m thinking in this fictional scenario you’d actually watch the mini versions of them running around to sort themselves.

Endless_Serpents on
    I mean in Pokemon go you can type "Fire" and it'll show only fire type Pokemon. Or "3*" and it'll show 3* Pokemon.

I mean in Pokemon go you can type "Fire" and it'll show only fire type Pokemon. Or "3*" and it'll show 3* Pokemon.

But I want it to be really good.

But I want it to be really good.

I'll take just sorting by whatever type I choose lol

But your list is amazing.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I finally finished the Arceus Pokedex and holy fuck this Arceus fight is bullshit. Like, I get that it's PokeGod but this is not fun at all. I still marvel at how fun these games are sometimes, given the apparent idiots that make them.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The only saving grace of the Arceus fight is that it has check points

Zunde wrote: »

And its music. Damn, I love that music.

edited October 2022
    The DLC for SWSH added a mohawk?

Oh hell yes. Been needing this since Gen VI.

Dr. Chaos on
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

Yeah, I haven't seen any of those yet.