As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Sadly kyrie can travel to Toronto now
    Raps just lost their COVID home court advantage

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    its ok
    for 7 years, the world has been underestimating steph
    he'll just continuing winning championships as the scrappy underdog here

I still want Jody Allen to go, "Fuck it!" trade Dame back home for Wiesman and Poole and future pick

Besides, it's only righteous that , The Glove's son , is now Portland's future.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    GP2 is like 29-30 already, hes barely younger than Dame.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There's now a video of Draymond punching Poole.

The first two words out of my mouth after seeing it: "That's assault."

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Yeah, Dray clocked Poole hard and clearly instigated the physical side of things.

Marathon on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Picked a fight with and then suckerpunched his own teammate. Not shocked but also a new low.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Hard to defend it. Draymond got in his face, instigating the push, and then threw that punch. We don't know what was being said, but I doubt it was enough to warrant that kind of reaction

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I believe Poole referred to Draymond as “triple single”. You know, the kind of things a grown adult punches another one over.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Punching your teammates was only funny when Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith was doing it (it was never funny) and he spent large chunks of his career in anger management therapy

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Season starts next week... I'm going all in on following NBA this year. Gonna be in two fantasy leagues and drafts for both are tomorrow. I probably should get NBA League Pass.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Punching your teammates was only funny when Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith was doing it (it was never funny) and he spent large chunks of his career in anger management therapy

Or when MJ did it to Steve Kerr (it was never funny)

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Season starts next week... I'm going all in on following NBA this year. Gonna be in two fantasy leagues and drafts for both are tomorrow. I probably should get NBA League Pass.

League Pass is a great product especially if you're outside of your favorite team's market. If you're inside however and want to watch them or nationally televised games it's an annoying reminder of cable networks clinging to sports for dear life.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Gonna be a looooong season for the Lakers looks like

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

League Pass is a great product especially if you're outside of your favorite team's market. If you're inside however and want to watch them or nationally televised games it's an annoying reminder of cable networks clinging to sports for dear life.

100%. Its sooooo annoying and frustrating that you cant watch your local team's shit. It just feels like "who the fuck felt like capitalism was the best system for consumers. This is complete bullshit".

• Options
    edited October 2022
    burbo wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

100%. Its sooooo annoying and frustrating that you cant watch your local team's shit. It just feels like "who the fuck felt like capitalism was the best system for consumers. This is complete bullshit".

And in cases like Cleveland, you couldn't watch the team even if you had cable. Bally's had some contract dispute that I think lasted the entire season last year, so unless you were willing to change your provider to DirecTV you couldn't watch the Cavs in your home. I got to watch more Cavs basketball in Indiana than any of my old fiends back in Ohio could.

Butters on
  • Options
    2022-23 season begins! Welcome back, Inside the NBA.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    And Charles just got a 10 year contract extension after saying for years he would retire at 60.

NBA half time is saved!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Normally I want the old dudes out, but I am not ready for Chuck to hang it up yet. I'd rather Shaq piss off as he was redundant anyway.

• Options
    Ahhh fuck. Personally, i really dislike Chuck. What do people like about him anyway? Hes the laziest "analyst"in the business with basketball opinions basically amounting to "these guys are soft, players were better in my day", and social/ political opinions always coming to "i love cops, if the cops shot you, you probably deserved it".

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    He’s funny (for a certain definition of funny, anyway) and at least a little self aware, which is more than a lot of analysts manage. He gives the rest of the desk someone to play the straight man for

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Ahhh fuck. Personally, i really dislike Chuck. What do people like about him anyway? Hes the laziest "analyst"in the business with basketball opinions basically amounting to "these guys are soft, players were better in my day", and social/ political opinions always coming to "i love cops, if the cops shot you, you probably deserved it".

In my opinion, he's super funny and entertaining, he pretty much is a comedian. He was also my favorite player growing up and I was a Suns fan because of him. He plays off the others really well, especially his trash talk with Shaq. He often says what he's thinking, probably a little too much so (like getting the bracelet from a random guy in a steam room), and just comes off as far more genuine than a lot of broadcasters (who are probably holding back what they really think). I think that's why he can get away with saying stuff that others couldn't because he's always been that way. What he is saying hasn't been focus grouped to death, it's probably just a slightly toned down version of what he'd be saying to people just sitting around and talking (like cutting out heavier curse words). I'm not gonna agree with everything he says (wasn't a fan of his response about how the NBA handled Darryl Morey saying support Hong Kong and China's retaliation), but it's probably rare to find someone you agree with on everything.

I'm not thinking one iota about their politics when watching the show, but the times they do address it on big events, I find it sincere, whether I agree or not and I'm curious about what they will say. As for analysis, yeah he has bias of course (like he's not a fan of jump shooting teams) but I'm not exactly sure what "in-depth" analysis people are looking for. If it's too technical, it becomes jargon, and not fun to watch.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    TelMarine wrote: »

In my opinion, he's super funny and entertaining, he pretty much is a comedian. He was also my favorite player growing up and I was a Suns fan because of him. He plays off the others really well, especially his trash talk with Shaq. He often says what he's thinking, probably a little too much so (like getting the bracelet from a random guy in a steam room), and just comes off as far more genuine than a lot of broadcasters (who are probably holding back what they really think). I think that's why he can get away with saying stuff that others couldn't because he's always been that way. What he is saying hasn't been focus grouped to death, it's probably just a slightly toned down version of what he'd be saying to people just sitting around and talking (like cutting out heavier curse words). I'm not gonna agree with everything he says (wasn't a fan of his response about how the NBA handled Darryl Morey saying support Hong Kong and China's retaliation), but it's probably rare to find someone you agree with on everything.

I'm not thinking one iota about their politics when watching the show, but the times they do address it on big events, I find it sincere, whether I agree or not and I'm curious about what they will say. As for analysis, yeah he has bias of course (like he's not a fan of jump shooting teams) but I'm not exactly sure what "in-depth" analysis people are looking for. If it's too technical, it becomes jargon, and not fun to watch.

Yeah he has some politics stuff I agree with, some stuff I definitely don't, but largely is just funny and entertaining and politics are definitely not the focus of Inside the NBA. If you're looking for in depth analysis you sadly have to skip....every single half-time show in american sports, and we can look at ESPN's NBA half-time as an example of how completely terrible half-time shows often are. Inside the NBA is light years ahead.

Also they are responsible for giving us things like this (a Boondocks reference if you're not aware of the context):

https://youtu.be/ZLGvuhkk25Q

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »
    TelMarine wrote: »

Yeah he has some politics stuff I agree with, some stuff I definitely don't, but largely is just funny and entertaining and politics are definitely not the focus of Inside the NBA. If you're looking for in depth analysis you sadly have to skip....every single half-time show in american sports, and we can look at ESPN's NBA half-time as an example of how completely terrible half-time shows often are. Inside the NBA is light years ahead.

Also they are responsible for giving us things like this (a Boondocks reference if you're not aware of the context):

https://youtu.be/ZLGvuhkk25Q

When halftime happens on ESPN, my attention goes somewhere else. When TNT is showing games, I can't wait for halftime. ESPN also definitely would not be making "your mom" jokes for a whole season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7V3EsOZOMM

Best part is that Ernie was the most savage one. They just have fun and you feel like you're in the room with them talking shit.

• Options
    edited October 2022

His politics are little better than you're giving him credit for. He was among the most vocally supportive of Jason Collins when he came out and became very vocal in his support for trans people. He's also hardly alone among the left to criticize "defund the police" as a message. We have plenty of people on these boards that feel that way.

I also wouldn't say Chuck's analysis is lazy it's just inarticulate. I think Shaq comes off worse when talking about today's game being "soft" and whatnot.

Butters on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    dray and dwayne wayne will be good taking over for shaq and chuck, its finding a replacement for Ernie that's gonna be very difficult

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Chuck lost me for good when he decided to use his soapbox to talk about how the cops did nothing wrong when killing Brianna Taylor and she more or less deserved it for who she had a relationship with.

That being said, i do understand that he comes across more authentic than most, and that's appealing on some level, i just don't feel like he's actually that funny, or follows the league closely.

As for the Shaq comparison . . . Yeah, Shaq is like every annoying quality of Chuck dialed up even further.

• Options
    Chuck lost me for good when he decided to use his soapbox to talk about how the cops did nothing wrong when killing Brianna Taylor and she more or less deserved it for who she had a relationship with.

That being said, i do understand that he comes across more authentic than most, and that's appealing on some level, i just don't feel like he's actually that funny, or follows the league closely.

As for the Shaq comparison . . . Yeah, Shaq is like every annoying quality of Chuck dialed up even further.

This is not something I heard before.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean I'd agree that as a person he probably does kinda suck; he's got some crummy political beliefs and in general seems to have that winning attitudinal combination of 'made a pile of money' and 'toxic masculinity' that's distressingly common in pro athletes. But on television set he comes across as relatively genuine and sometimes funny and has as much intelligent to say about the games as most other tv analysts (which is to say not that much)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Shaq, at least, is playing a character. He's making TV, and he understands that. It's kinda like the Stephen A Smith thing. Stephen A Smith approaches his job more or less as a pro wrestling bad guy.

Today, on the LeBatard show, Amin claimed that back in 2015, before the Warriors had won their first title with the Curry dynasty, he ran into Shaq. Shaq asked Amin who he thought would win the finals. "I dunno, who do you think?" Shaq answered the Warriors without hesitation--he thought their style of play was the future. He then showed Amin video of his son, then in 9th grade and already 6'9", shooting at range and how he was advising him to study Warriors basketball.

Shaq's not stupid. He's not a bad basketball analyst. He's playing to what he thinks the audience wants, and apparently he thinks they want him to be an oldhead convinced that his generation of players and style of play is better than the modern one.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: Shaq's acting career

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Counterpoint: Shaq's acting career

Shaq playing “Shaq who says these kinds of things” might be easier for him then playing “person who is not Shaq and is instead a genie”

• Options
    Give me more Candace Parker destroying Shaq

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Candace Parker is probably my favorite commentator at the moment. She is able to have personality and feel genuine while actually still coming across like she knows a lot about the game and is keeping up with the times. I also like that she has an open-minded and sylistically progressive approach to the players, strategies, and goings on of the NBA.

It's hard to not notice the aspect of how she is twice as good at her job to make it half as far as her male counterpoints.

It also sucks that she is at a desk with Dwyane Wade who just comes across as cringe to me, as a personality.

burbo on
  • Options
    NBA League Pass is only $99.99 for the whole season this year. Gonna be able to watch all the games for my players I have in my two NBA fantasy leagues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For what it’s worth, Candace and Chiney Ogwumike are doing it as active players (though the WNBA season ends just as the NBA season kicks off)

I think both will have a chance to be far more prolific contributors once their playing careers are over

Megan Rapinoe probably for soccer as well, not sure if Sue Bird has the charisma to jump to commenting

Honestly I could probably name just as many or more women athletes I could see jumping straight to hosting/commentatoring once their playing careers are over, but that’s probably also personal bias because women athletes tend to be super duper progressive and thus all over my social/news consumption while I try to ignore the men who at best usually try and play dumb about politics and at worst….you know

• Options
    Sue Bird definitely comes across like she has the requisite charisma and intelligence to be a commentator, if she so chooses.

Though, it doesn't feel like charisma is a pre-requisite for many of the male former athletes. Like Dwyane Wade, as I mentioned, may be a very beautiful man, but his personality is just corny and uncomfortable, for me.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Sue Bird definitely comes across like she has the requisite charisma and intelligence to be a commentator, if she so chooses.

Though, it doesn't feel like charisma is a pre-requisite for many of the male former athletes. Like Dwyane Wade, as I mentioned, may be a very beautiful man, but his personality is just corny and uncomfortable, for me.

The women athletes, both current and former, are awesome for the NBA and MLB as commentators. They have way more honest insight to the games then the men.

• Options
    Cavs lose a nailbiter after losing Garland in the second quarter to a laceration to the eye. I hope its not too serious.

• Options
    DeRozen has been a great Fantasy pick having him in both my leagues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Going to be coming back to this video a lot this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evGk5JElAI