As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAoC] Anyone still playing?

blinkeblinke Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So yeah, I am thinking of rolling myself another BG toon. Have had a couple 50s back in the day, beta'd for DAoC and absolutely loved it. Quit when my guild moved on, now that I have some spare time was gonna get a 24 or 30 something stealther and make hell in the BGs.

Soo anyone still play? I'd like to play the classic server more than likely, Darkness Falls expansion (the instances) still works on classic servers right?

blinke on

• MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still play, although my will is slowly being sapped by the fact that in order to solo, you actually need to have skill. And to get a group, you actually need to be social. :roll:

For classic, all of the expansions are active except Trials of Atlantis. The servers are still quite busy and will more than likely remain so until WAR is released. (IMO)

Screwing around in the BGs is still a tonne of fun.

If you, or anyone else, wants some advice or a little start up help on classic, let me know.

Morturus on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I re subed like 3 to 4 months ago and tried to see if anyone else was playing and got nothing. Was fun messing around but once again my Add kicked in and i started playing something else.
    and now im just bored with games in general. :(

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• blinkeblinke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What server / realm are you on in the classics? I'm gonna hop back in and probably get an archer up again.

Also, which is the most popular BG level range?

blinke on
    edited February 2008
    The BGs you'll want to aim for are Thid (20-24) and Molvik. (35-39)

Thid is pretty zerg happy and I find just about everything dies in one hit.

Molvik is a little better, it's always hopping and most people actually have armour at this point. If you are planning on a permanent BG character, Molvik won't disappoint.

On the account I'm playing now (friend's ex-bot account actually) I've got enough in every realm on classic that I could farm you up some aurulite pretty quick. If you want to play an archer, these days scouts are one of those most overpowered classes around. A good hunter is scary and a ranger, even behind the other 2 in melee/toys, has nasty ranged damage.

Molvik is typically Mid dominated, with Albs occasionally bringing more numbers for periods of time. As a stealther you'll always find action though if you want.

Morturus on
  • CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm in the same boat, thinking about coming back and making either a Thid or Molv char. Any opinions on which is the better choice for a permanent bg character? I'd like to make a Hibby I think, but I'll probably end up in Mid since I already have some money/chars on Gareth.

I really wish I could convince a couple of my friends to join me, but it's WoW or nothing with mmo's as far as they are concerned.

Also, I would like to be completely self reliant if possible, so I want to pick up some trade skills (armour and spell crafting) so I can make my own templates. I am a complete trade skill newbie, so any idea on what level I would need to get them to in order to make a set of Molv armour and get it spell crafted?

Corsair on
    edited February 2008
    Hunters scary? They were the biggest laugh of a class back when I played.

I've had a 39 ranger before, and he destroyed everything. I'd probably end up with a Kobold Shaman at some point in time as well. Not sure what I have already, know I have something on the classics.

Sent an email to customer support earlier, I had three accounts, and I'm not sure which had the expansions so I gotta figure that out before I reactivate the wrong one.

blinke on
    edited February 2008
    Tradeskills are easy.

I just recently started in Mid and with 300g and a few hours (one evening of being bored) I got alchemy up to a level where I could make my own buff potions. Spellcrafting is the same, one solid evening and a couple hundred gold and you'll have enough to put together a decent enough template.

When I started in Alb my perma-Molvik inf template was made with about 500 spellcrafting, a bunch of aurulite items, and maybe 500g worth of darkspire gear. Even after getting rich (if you do suffer your way through spellcrafting to the end, massive money making!) I never bothered to update her temp. I'd recommend doing your own alchemy for sure, and if you don't mind not having a perfect template, SC'ing as well.

Archery got redone. Archers are now like fire wizards, except with armour, and pets, and shields, and the ability to melee... ya.

Morturus on
    edited February 2008
    Jeeze. Yeah I always have had a spellcrafter. Soon as they announced that as a new tradeskill, I instantly got it when it went live. There is a spell crafter calculator I used to use.. can't remember the name, I might have it still on my PC gotta check.

blinke on
  • NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just to give an updated status of the game for those thinking of coming back. I recommend playing the classic servers. Mainly because that is where a good portion of the population already plays and if you play to 50 you don't have to worry about ToA stuff. Also, just a note on population: Mids don't need more people, trust me, in the frontier and the BG's they consistantly have 1.5 to 2 times the number of people the Hibs usually field and almost 3 times the people the albs can usually field. By all means if you want to roll on Mid go ahead but seriously, they don't need the help. Crafting is a lot easier than it used to be. Also, they changed the way SCing works in relation to crafted item quality. It used to be quality dictated the number of embue points and item had, that is no long the case. Basically MP armor is no longer a must have. Also if you have the coin they add in some lower level armor reactive procs as well. Xilasrn if you are looking for the SC calculator I think you are probably talking about Cort's SC Calc. That is the one I used last, although I don't bother much anymore as I tend to just throw drops together for 50, Between all of the new quests and Lab drops they work just as good if not better in most cases. Right now I'm playing Mainly Alb so if anyone wants to group up and run around in the bg's or go out and level, you can probably reach me on Ycias-Lamo, my Thid level Heretic

NinjaPirate on
    edited February 2008
    How do the clusters work? Like say I have an Alb on Gareth, can we interact together outside of the BGs / frontier if you are on a different classic server for alb?

I'm likely to roll a Friar, Infil, and Ranger for Molvik. Have /20 (is that still in the game?) so leveling should be rather painless.

blinke on
    edited February 2008
    xilasrn wrote: »
    How do the clusters work? Like say I have an Alb on Gareth, can we interact together outside of the BGs / frontier if you are on a different classic server for alb?

I'm likely to roll a Friar, Infil, and Ranger for Molvik. Have /20 (is that still in the game?) so leveling should be rather painless.

With regards to your first question, yes I think you can but I'm not 100% sure... As for /level, I believe that is disabled on the classic servers.

Corsair on
  • NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yes, you can interact with all people in your realm as long as they are a member of your cluster, regardless of the starting server. So someone from gareth could group up in mainland with someone from ector as long as they are both of the same realm. And there is no /level for the classic servers. But getting to 20 is much easier now than it used to be.

NinjaPirate on
  • adenxadenx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just started playing this game again on the classic cluster

adenx on
    edited February 2008
    So i'll be starting out on hibernia classics with my RL friend. Both gonna do stealth so we can duo in the BG and be pretty dangerous.

So who plays on Hib?

blinke on
    edited February 2008
    I would suggest for the first 10 levels if your not up for doing quests jsut head to balbans dungean , and kill shit there. You will be 10 in under 2 hours if you don't get ganked more often then not.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited February 2008
    That the newbie DF? Went in it briefly on my alb. Really cool idea.

How are BG lockouts handled these days? They used to be RP cap, then they just made you stop getting RP at the cap and it was solely level.. do they force every character to eventually leave the BG, or can I have a level max ranger at the BG forever since he'll eventually stop getting RP for kills?

blinke on
    edited February 2008
    I think you still get forced out after a certain level and RP. I how ever have never had that problem.

Draeven on

edited February 2008
    You can stay in a bg permanently if you choose. There is a command that will make you not gain any exp ( /xp off or something), and I am pretty sure you'll just stop gaining rp's when you hit the cap.

Corsair on
    edited February 2008
    You actually need to turn RPs off as well before hitting cap. (/rp off) If you do hit cap you can have your RPs removed to get back into the BG, but then you're out those realm points.

So turn xp and RP off and stay in your fave BG forever. (my inf's been 2L9 for a looooooooong time in Molvik)

Morturus on
    edited February 2008
    Awesome. I'll be reactivating tonight or early tomorrow most likely.

Who are your hib characters? I'm likely to stay in Thid for a bit, then permanently in molvik.

blinke on
  • Lacerated SkyLacerated Sky Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have very fond memories of DAoC.

Does no one fight in the frontiers anymore? Has the RvR been relegated to just BGs now?

Lacerated Sky on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have very fond memories of DAoC.

Does no one fight in the frontiers anymore? Has the RvR been relegated to just BGs now?

You can find some keep raids sometimes

no where near as big as they used to be though (no duh)

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Corsair wrote: »
    You can stay in a bg permanently if you choose. There is a command that will make you not gain any exp ( /xp off or something), and I am pretty sure you'll just stop gaining rp's when you hit the cap.

you only get kicked out if you log off

there once was a level 30 bonedancer in merlin's thidranki

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited February 2008
    50 RvR is very busy. (on classic)

Keeps are always under siege and relics change hands on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis.

It's just that BGs are so incredibly easy to jump into and have fun. You don't need any gear, or a guild, or friends. 50 RvR takes a little more effort.

Morturus on