As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    There are 3 mega raid eggs in my range (granted I live near a pretty big park with multiple gyms) so I assume they're not super rare. I think they might've started the timers a little later than planned though, around 6 pm, so you might have missed them popping up depending on when you were out?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I spent about an hour catching Litwicks and got about 5 shinies.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The weird thing for me is that all the shinies I saw spawned in the same spot, 3 right away and another when I walked back the same way home. Probably just weird RNG but it happened that way. Same when the Roggenrola event where I played entirely from work

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Oh, it's a one day thing huh.
    I guess I don't raid then.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Niantic hates me so much
    and damn i walked for 90 minutes and only found 3 shiny Litwicks. at least i'm less than a mill from reaching level 40, finishing then super ultra research and getting my BLUE MEW.

*quickly hides my 40 shiny litwicks...* (seriously tho, I wish I could trade some of these to people who got screwed)

BTW, anyone not seeing an elite raid egg? I drove all over for community day and didn't see one anywhere in town. Isn't this thing supposed to be tomorrow? Did they make them stupid rare?

well i wouldn't mind gettin 3 candle bois on Home <3

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Had a mega raid at the college up the road from my house, and actually saw a decent group waiting when I checked it out. 16 people, egg popped, tap the gym... and 16 people staring at the spinning pokeball for 12 minutes now.

Edit: Well, by the end there were only four people left, but sure enough just dumped us back to the map without a chance to try.

Hoopa looks stupid anyway.

Edit again: Last time window worked out better! Yay, now I get to figure out what to do with a pokemon I don't like who's too high to use in CP limited stuff and too low to use in anything else and who I'm never ever going to fuck around to get candy for.

Hevach on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Elite raids were fun. Didn't get any amazing IV Hoopas or anything but got some ok ones (I got one that would have been amazing if Attack wasn't the only stat not perfect :/ I think it's like 12/15/15... still was my best one tho)

Also got a Wooloo which I guess were spawning after a successful raid? I saw two but the second one seemed to be outside the bubble where you could get timed spawns, because of course it was (maybe it wasn't but it was showing nearby to a pokestop outside the range of that special spawn aura and I drove all around that area trying to find it with no luck).

One thing I miss about EX raids was the organization. These elite raids were EVERYWHERE so it was hard to get everyone on the same page on which gyms to go to. Our community managed to work it out but it was a bit chaotic. I think something like the Campfire flare thing would help here, that is, if Campfire wasn't still closed access and I wasn't getting flares from EVERYONE ON MY FRIENDS LIST EVEN IF THEY LIVE HALFWAY ACROSS THE WORLD (seriously, it was pissing me off and the app is bugged so it wouldn't let me turn off push notifications... I might just turn them off entirely until they fix that)

Also I can't Re-bound Hoopa. I'm not sure if that's normal or what. I kinda wanted one regular lookin Hoopa :/

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I'm confused. Elite raids spawn after 24 hours and you have 30 minutes to fight him. Does that mean you can repeatedly fight them? I saw someone on Facebook post the 8 or so Hoopas or whatever they are.

edited October 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm confused. Elite raids spawn after 24 hours and you have 30 minutes to fight him. Does that mean you can repeatedly fight them? I saw someone on Facebook post the 8 or so Hoopas or whatever they are.

Yes-ish? You basically have that 30 minutes to fight as many as you can/want (you can't re-fight the same one though). So if you have a bunch of Hoopas that spawned in gyms that are close enough to each other, you can hit a handful before you run out of time. I went for the 11am and 2pm ones yesterday and was able to get 7 total (4 at 11, 3 at 2).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Oh okay. I didn't see any spawn around me. Maybe one that's about 15 minutes from my house according to Facebook.

edited October 2022

Had a feeling they might release Ursaluna with this. Like, why else would you do a Teddiursa community day? It's shiny already exists. But Ursaluna still had to be added to the game and Niantic specifically added moon phases very recently. Signs were on the wall :P

Which is good. Teddiursa/Ursaring not exactly an exciting pokemon to me, but being able to get Ursaluna for the first time makes this a much more interesting community day (not that Ursaluna is the most exciting pokemon either, but it's new and that's fun :3).

Warlock82 on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife was flown out to Japan yesterday to meet up with the people at The Pokemon Company. She'll be there all week. First time in Japan.

I'm so not jealous right now....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My wife was flown out to Japan yesterday to meet up with the people at The Pokemon Company. She'll be there all week. First time in Japan.

Why do you have the coolest family? :P

Why do you have the coolest family? :P

I blame my wife.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RamiRami Registered User regular

I don't know if TPC is based in Tokyo or Kyoto, but if it's Tokyo tell her to get down to the Skytree and visit the Kirby Cafe, and Pokémon Centre / Cafe in Ginza (I think).

It's hard to get a booking but for a single person you can usually manage to snag a seat within a few days notice.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm assuming working on PoGo you get lots of pokemon swag already hehe

I'm assuming working on PoGo you get lots of pokemon swag already hehe

Oh yeah. We’ve got two Fanny packs filled with Niantic stickers, iron-on patches, keychains, and pins. There’s also hats and shirts. We kept getting more swag for each Community Day and it just piles up.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Man, some people really don't want their waystop approved, do they?
    1dqy03b22ju91.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=b6684a296b91b974acd1efc9077001190579cac3

(FWIW I didn't reject this one, but I did skip, because fuck off if this guy thinks I'm approving after that text)

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular

Had a feeling they might release Ursaluna with this. Like, why else would you do a Teddiursa community day? It's shiny already exists. But Ursaluna still had to be added to the game and Niantic specifically added moon phases very recently. Signs were on the wall :P

Which is good. Teddiursa/Ursaring not exactly an exciting pokemon to me, but being able to get Ursaluna for the first time makes this a much more interesting community day (not that Ursaluna is the most exciting pokemon either, but it's new and that's fun :3).

This is going to be a good community day for Stardust.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Question: does the game store wild encounters?

Like if I have the game off but does it still generate the wild pokemon when I turn it back on that would have appeared if I had the game on while I was walking/taking a ride?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Like if I have the game off but does it still generate the wild pokemon that would have appeared if I had the game on while I was walking/taking a ride?

Yeah, the encounters are all server side. In fact wild encounters will have the same IVs across multiple people (though things like shiny status are individual)

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Like if I have the game off but does it still generate the wild pokemon when I turn it back on that would have appeared if I had the game on while I was walking/taking a ride?

No.

The game isn't going to track Pokemon that you've walked past with the app off.

There was the.. Pokemon Go Plus I think that automatically encountered Pokemon that you walked past.

And it may track steps while the app is off to hatch eggs, if you've connected your phone to a step-tracking app.

And yeah, most all the Pokemon are server side so, if someone else is playing next to you (and not using incense), you can just jump on to find whatever Pokemon they've just encountered.
    (Same is true for scanners, where someone has made an online overlay of the currently spawned Pokemon. But they're constantly in an arms race with Niantic to figure out and script around the current app API in order to poll that data)

discrider on
    edited October 2022
    I've been busy all day but it looks like at some point the Halloween pt. 2 stuff was revealed:
    https://leekduck.com/events/pokemon-go-halloween-event-2022-part-2/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/y881f7/pokémon_go_halloween_2022_part_2/

Boo at no Mega Houndoom energy (still Absol) but lots of neat costume pokemon.

Also woo shiny Pumpkaboo

Warlock82 on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Based on the descriptions it sounds like one big event with two phases of wild pokemon, with the hatted ones coming in the second phase?

Looks like it's back to grinding 7km eggs again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2022
    Hey look, still terrible

I might try to buy one more 1900 box for incubators since we'll probably be stuck with these for the rest of the month :/

Warlock82 on
    Leek Duck's got the $1 research details and $5 research details up.

Looks like the $1 is a decent way to grind for shiny Yamask, while the $5 only gets you a bunch of random pokemon, an incense, two regular incubators, the Lanturn pose, and the only shot at Spiritomb this year.

edited October 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Leek Duck's got the $1 research details and $5 research details up.

Looks like the $1 is a decent way to grind for shiny Yamask, while the $5 only gets you a bunch of random pokemon, an incense, two regular incubators, the Lanturn pose, and the only shot at Spiritomb this year.

Bah, the $5 one almost doesn't feel worth it but I would kind of like that pose. Spiritomb can be shiny, right? (not that I'm gonna get a shiny)

Edit: Oh, this is kinda nice tho:
    Bonuses for $5 Event Ticket
    Trainers who purchase the $5 Event Ticket for the Halloween Timed Research have these bonuses instead.

3× Candy for catching Pokémon
    3× Candy for hatching Pokémon
    3× Candy for transferring Pokémon

Trainers level 31 and above will receive two (2) guaranteed Candy XL when walking with their buddy.

Also a bit confused by some of the pokemon rewards in that one. I guess "bats and spiders" but Litten is a bit of an odd choice. I guess it counts as a "black cat"? (yeah, that seems to roughly be the theme of that step.. Purloin is sorta kinda a black cat, Sneasel is a black... something that I guess resembles a cat? Umbreon is a black.. whatever eevee is... they're stretching a bit with that one :P)

Warlock82 on
    Spiritomb's been shiny since 2020, but given the shiny rates you'll be extremely lucky to get one.

The $5 research has two guaranteed XL candy when you walk your buddy, I will definitely be buying that.

edited October 2022
    Ruldar wrote: »
    The $5 research has two guaranteed XL candy when you walk your buddy, I will definitely be buying that.

Yeah, that's the big thing that feels worth it. Wonder if it's worth walking Mewtwo with Poffins... (20k candy distance is still garbage)
    Spiritomb's been shiny since 2020, but given the shiny rates you'll be extremely lucky to get one.

And ok, I thought I saw shiny Spiritomb somewhere. But yeah, not exactly expecting anything, but at least it makes it more worth it than "a third Spiritomb" (I think third? Maybe the last task from 2019 only gave me candy). Shame he isn't as good in this as he is in the main games.

Warlock82 on
    Ugh man there's no way I'll be able to beat Giovanni. Even with typing the fact that his pokemon are 4000+ more CP than my mons it's insane.

edited October 2022
    Ugh man there's no way I'll be able to beat Giovanni. Even with typing the fact that his pokemon are 4000+ more CP than my mons it's insane.

He is super rough. I'd say wait for another event when there are NPC challengers at stops to nerf him, but Giovanni is likely to switch to a new shadow pokemon before that. Unless you don't care - people have said Latios isn't the best shadow (I think with the caveat that it's because Mega Latios and/or shadow Salamance is basically the same in terms of DPS) and you'd have two tries at the new one (but who knows what is next, it could be awesome or pure garbage).

Personal tip - I found Mamoswine really helpful against his Latios. Mine was in the ~3100cp-ish range when I beat him. The guides I was reading kept suggesting Dialga but mine was just getting destroyed. Mamoswine had the extra bulk that helped me out (like, just living long enough to get a charged attack off).

Warlock82 on

He is super rough. I'd say wait for another event when there are NPC challengers at stops but Giovanni is likely to switch to a new shadow pokemon before that. Unless you don't care - people have said Latios isn't the best shadow and you'd have two tries at the new one (but who knows what is next).

Personal tip - I found Mamoswine really helpful against his Latios. Mine was in the ~3200cp-ish range when I beat him.

My counters are:

Persian -> Machamp (can't kill him yet, probably about 5% health)
    Machamp -> Espeon (gets him to maybe 30% health)
    Latios -> ?? I have a 3100 Mamoswine that I could use but it turns out it's a 1* (ugh) so I don't know.

edited October 2022

He is super rough. I'd say wait for another event when there are NPC challengers at stops but Giovanni is likely to switch to a new shadow pokemon before that. Unless you don't care - people have said Latios isn't the best shadow and you'd have two tries at the new one (but who knows what is next).

Personal tip - I found Mamoswine really helpful against his Latios. Mine was in the ~3200cp-ish range when I beat him.

My counters are:

Latios -> ?? I have a 3100 Mamoswine that I could use but it turns out it's a 1* (ugh) so I don't know.

Honestly 1* is probably fine. Just make sure he has Powdered Snow and Avalanche. IVs actually don't make a huge difference in PoGo, CP is the main thing that matters (like, a 0 attack IV is only losing 15 points of attack out of a base attack value in the 200-300s... it might be the difference of killing something one fast attack faster.. same with defense and stamina - you might live one extra fast hit or it might not even be significant enough to change anything, especially on very frail pokemon like Gengar who die in 1-2 hits anyways). Those other two are good, maybe just need to get more CP on them or something. Machamp is probably one of the better options for fighting and Espeon isn't too bad (Mewtwo is obviously better if available).

Edit: Oh, and either way, make sure you've baited out his two shields before Latios because you really need a charged attack to kill that one.

Warlock82 on
    edited October 2022

Yeah, that's the big thing that feels worth it. Wonder if it's worth walking Mewtwo with Poffins... (20k candy distance is still garbage)

I have a perfect Ttar that I'm only 41 XL candy away from getting to level 50, this is great timing for me. I can't see getting all the way there since that would mean 50k walking during the event and I doubt I'll do that, but I should make good progress on it.

Ruldar on

I have a perfect Ttar that I'm only 41 XL candy away from getting to level 50, this is great timing for me. I can't see getting all the way there since that would mean 50k walking during the event and I doubt I'll do that, but I should make good progress on it.

I mean, with enough poffins that could be 25k walking :P But yeah, either way, getting a bunch of XL candy will be nice

My counters are:

Honestly 1* is probably fine. Just make sure he has Powdered Snow and Avalanche. IVs actually don't make a huge difference in PoGo, CP is the main thing that matters (like, a 0 attack IV is only losing 15 points of attack out of a base attack value in the 200-300s... it might be the difference of killing something one fast attack faster.. same with defense and stamina - you might live one extra fast hit or it might not even be significant enough to change anything, especially on very frail pokemon like Gengar who die in 1-2 hits anyways). Those other two are good, maybe just need to get more CP on them or something. Machamp is probably one of the better options for fighting and Espeon isn't too bad (Mewtwo is obviously better if available).

Edit: Oh, and either way, make sure you've baited out his two shields before Latios because you really need a charged attack to kill that one.

Thanks. Yeah if I can get some more CP to let my pokemon survive just a few more hits longer then I should be able to bait out his two shields.

I just need so much fucking stardust. Getting 100 per catch is insulting when you need 8K to power up once.

My counters are:

Thanks. Yeah if I can get some more CP to let my pokemon survive just a few more hits longer then I should be able to bait out his two shields.

I just need so much fucking stardust. Getting 100 per catch is insulting when you need 8K to power up once.

A (semi) affordable option is to get Lucario with power-up punch. That move doesn't do a hell of a lot of damage, but it whips out really fast. Not only will you burn through his shields fast, you'll be able to get maximum benefit out of that weird pause Rockets do before they start hitting you back.

I mean, with enough poffins that could be 25k walking :P But yeah, either way, getting a bunch of XL candy will be nice

50k is with the poffins unless I did my math wrong, it'd be 100k without.

Another thing on my radar for this event is the Absol Mega Energy research. According to Leek Duck it's 20 per quest so I'm going to be hunting down at least 10 of those if all goes according to plan.

edited October 2022

50k is with the poffins unless I did my math wrong, it'd be 100k without.

Another thing on my radar for this event is the Absol Mega Energy research. According to Leek Duck it's 20 per quest so I'm going to be hunting down at least 10 of those if all goes according to plan.

Ooooohhh yikes, yeah that's a lot. And yeah, I need Mega Absol too. One of the few megas at this point that I don't have now (too bad Mega Houndoom hasn't been available for awhile too).
    Not only will you burn through his shields fast, you'll be able to get maximum benefit out of that weird pause Rockets do before they start hitting you back.

Yeah, I noticed that! It's a really weird thing but you get a couple of free hits in under certain circumstances, like after a shield (either you or enemy). I think a pokemon fainting is another one (I've noticed when the rocket changes to a new mon with different weaknesses, it's sometimes more beneficial to let my current mon die than deliberately switch out to something super effective since a manual switch doesn't give you this grace period). This was actually super relevant the last few Giovanni fights I did since shadow Latias/Latios just annihilates you with its fast attacks. So getting an extra second or two where it isn't pummeling you is huge (IIRC, once I got the timing right it was literally the difference between getting out a charged attack or dying just before)

Yeah, if you're able make sure you go out on the 2x stardust spotlight hours and bonus stardust community days (Teddiursa's gonna be 3x! So be sure to run a star piece). Those are usually when I get the most stardust myself. It's still constantly a problem tho :/

Warlock82 on