As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Oh baby, I really hope this Cram-o-matic machine is in SV in some form.

ITS RAINING GOLD BOTTLE CAPS.

(playing through the DLC for the first time before gen IX)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    https://youtu.be/pjrf87vgKLo

Thank christ, overworld shinies are back! I was so worried they were going to backside on this after Arceus. Not only that, there is apparently sandwiches you can make that boost shiny rate! (he doesn't mention in this video but I saw that mentioned elsewhere)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I got to hand it to Klara. She actually tried to cheat her way to a win during a fight which makes her already 1000% more competent than pretty much every evil team in the history of Pokemon who never did anything other than a straightforward fair and square battle like morons.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I got to hand it to Klara. She actually tried to cheat her way to win during a fight which makes her already 1000% more competent than pretty much every evil team in the history of Pokemon who never did anything other than a straightforward fair and square battle like morons.

To be fair, the Misfortune Sisters in Legends: Arceus did almost try to legit potion stall :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I spent some time moving the last important mons from Shield/Legends Arceus to Home. The only Pokemon I don't have in my living dex is Zarude.

I guess I'm ready for the new game.

• Options
    Thank god for dynamax adventures.

Covering a lot of gaps I had in legendaries for my pokemon home dex.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Can you still get the variant Magearna for completing the National Dex in Home? If so, does that include Mythicals?

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Can you still get the variant Magearna for completing the National Dex in Home? If so, does that include Mythicals?

Yes and yes. I just got it a few months ago. But you do need the mythicals (which, incidentally, Genesect and Volcanion are available *right now* at GameStop and Marshadow will be available at Target on the 30th).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I don't think you need Zarude though, as I got the Magearna and I don't have Zarude. You might not need the Legends Arceus exclusives either but I'm not sure about that.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Thank god for dynamax adventures.

Covering a lot of gaps I had in legendaries for my pokemon home dex.

I'm missing Marshadow and that electric cat one
    Marshadow I'll get on Monday via GameStop God knows when I'll get the other they seem to avoid giving him away
    Edit Zeroara! That's it's name

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I got the Gamestop ones but I think that's about all I've got anymore. I lost most of them years ago when I let Bank lapse too long and Nintendo deleted everything.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5UzdmOzPs

Edit:
    Taya wrote: »
    I don't think you need Zarude though, as I got the Magearna and I don't have Zarude. You might not need the Legends Arceus exclusives either but I'm not sure about that.

Oh yeah, I think this is true actually. Unless they updated it, this promotion was done before those were released so they don't count (I think)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So the new ghost pokemon is a dog that wants to play but seemingly inadvertantly drains the life out of people who play with it?

Awesome concept.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    It wouldnt be the most scary or outright brutal pokedex entry heh. Hims looks like a good pupper tho.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited October 2022

I like this name. I think I would like this on my team. (also it's getting to the point that you could probably have a diverse team of only dogs)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    If anyone wants a Zarude for a to get the special Magearna event mons don't count

But I'll be dead in the grave before I settle for a less than perfect Dex

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Has Pokémon fully absorbed Yokai Watch? That’s a very good dog in a slightly different style. I wonder who’s on the art team this time…

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    We've been at the point of having a diverse team of only dogs for a while I think. Especially if you count Eeveelutions (clearly canine, unclear if dog)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »
    We've been at the point of having a diverse team of only dogs for a while I think. Especially if you count Eeveelutions (clearly canine, unclear if dog)

People say Eevees are dogs but I've never really felt it. They feel more like foxes or something. Or some kind of fox-dog hybrid thing. I dunno.

Incidentally a google search came up with this:
    https://bestreamer.com/pokemon/dog-pokemon/

Though there's so many on this list that are kind of "wtf that's not even close to a dog." Like, why is Nikit on there? It's just straight up a fox. Also Lucario is an Anubis. That feels like a separate thing (Anubis is a jackal, not a dog).

I think this would be my list:
    Growlithe / Arcanine (never thought these looked like dogs but they are specifically called out as dogs.. when I was young I thought they were tigers :P)
    Snubbull / Granbull
    Houndour / Houndoom
    Smeargle
    Lillipup / Herdier / Stoutland
    Furfrou
    Rockruff (but I'd consider its evolutions to be wolves)
    Yamper / Boltund
    Zacian / Zamazenta (iffy on this but I think they're dogs and not wolves)
    Fidough (and probably potential evos)
    Greavard (and probably potential evos)

Like, I get wanting to call Poochyena a dog, but it's literally a hyena. It's in the damn name. They seem to be picking anything even remotely in the same genus (and I suppose I understand that somewhat if you're just trying to build a "good enough" dog team, maybe they want to present fringe options). But a wolf is not a dog, it's a wolf :P Dogs are descended from wolves but they are different animals :P

Edit: But going back to my original point, Greavard brings in the ghost type which isn't represented, I don't even think if you include all the fringe choices. Which is a good mixup when most of your options are fire/normal/electric :P (though I suppose you have the dark typing with Houndoom which overlaps a bit of the advantages)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wolves and dogs are about as close as two species can get and still technically be distinct, so I'm not going to stress too hard on it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    eevees are definitely fox-like
    but hey crazy people even insist arceus-damned RAIKOU is a dog

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Wolves and dogs are about as close as two species can get and still technically be distinct, so I'm not going to stress too hard on it.

Yeah, I'm talking my own personal opinions here :P I less begrudge them including stuff like Poocheyna or Lycanroc over things like Nikit which... are foxes even related to wolves? Maybe there's some distant evolutionary connection there but I don't look at a fox and say "Oh that's a dog." At least a wolf you have to study a bit to make sure it's not just like, one of those more wolf-like dog breeds.

Edit: Huh, guess they are, sorta..
    https://www.rover.com/blog/the-truth-about-dogs-foxes-in/
    Foxes and dogs are members of the same animal family, canidae, but their lineage splits off from there. While dogs are domesticated members of the canis genus, foxes belong to several different, non-canis genera (that’s the plural form of genus). The twelve most common, “true fox” species belong to the genus vulpes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_canids
    It looks like they are all Canids but foxes aren't part of the Canis genus :P Also huh, I guess Tanukis are part of this family too (I suppose this is the reason for the name "raccoon dog"). I'm now immediately calling out that list for not including Zigzagoon :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Blastoise is a dog.

• Options
    I think you could maybe make the case that Blastoise is a rodent, but not a dog.

• Options
    No you’re thinking of Nidoking.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm going to put money on Ghost Dog having an evolution and it being cerberus themed.

• Options
    It's murkier for Blastoise but Squirtle and Wartortle are clearly part squirrel. Even Blastoise kinda looks like a really fat squirrel, especially around the ears.

• Options
    It's murkier for Blastoise but Squirtle and Wartortle are clearly part squirrel. Even Blastoise kinda looks like a really fat squirrel, especially around the ears.

The other part? Dog.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm going to put money on Ghost Dog having an evolution and it being cerberus themed.

Candelabra…

Candelabrador.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Poocheyna has Pooch in the name, so it's at least half-pupper

I can't watch any more of these promo videos because they have much more personality than anything we're getting in a game with no voice acting. I'm disappointed just thinking about it

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »

Candelabra…

Candelabrador.

If this isn't the name I will be extremely disappointed

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »

I can't watch any more of these promo videos because they have much more personality than anything we're getting in a game with no voice acting. I'm disappointed just thinking about it

Hyenas are canids iirc

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    blastoise is goode dog
    shosqi6k3rgb.png

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Nah it'll get the cereberus treatment but be named Greavdrio

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    3 headed ghost/ ice dog
    Cerberusky

Chall on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Hyenas are canids iirc

Nope! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliformia

They're closer to cats who decided to fill the canine niche

qgc1ae8a3z7b.jpg

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    This is like when people call the Johto Trio Legendary dogs when they're very obviously cats.

• Options
    I actually just got off the phone with Muneo Saitō, the designer of the trio, and he said: “Originally I wanted to base them on a lion, a tiger, and a leopard, but in the end I just went for dogs.”

• Options

Hyenas are canids iirc

Nope! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliformia

They're closer to cats who decided to fill the canine niche

qgc1ae8a3z7b.jpg
    Dogs trying to evolve into the superior form but did it too late.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Looks like one of the new Scarlet/Violet Pokemon is debuting today in Pokemon Go:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293