As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not only will you burn through his shields fast, you'll be able to get maximum benefit out of that weird pause Rockets do before they start hitting you back.

Yeah, I noticed that! It's a really weird thing but you get a couple of free hits in under certain circumstances, like after a shield (either you or enemy). I think a pokemon fainting is another one (I've noticed when the rocket changes to a new mon with different weaknesses, it's sometimes more beneficial to let my current mon die than deliberately switch out to something super effective since a manual switch doesn't give you this grace period). This was actually super relevant the last few Giovanni fights I did since shadow Latias/Latios just annihilates you with its fast attacks. So getting an extra second or two where it isn't pummeling you is huge (IIRC, once I got the timing right it was literally the difference between getting out a charged attack or dying just before)

You get the Rocket pause after a bunch of things - shielding, their mon fainting, and after they do a charged attack. Apologies if this is stating the obvious, but keep spamming attack after all these things; you don't have to wait for the throw animation to finish to start attacking again. Took me a little while to figure out, and it can give you an edge in leader/Giovanni fights.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah, NEVER STOP POKING THE SCREEN

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    yeah, NEVER STOP POKEMONING THE SCREEN

Fixed :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Clutzy took out Gio's Persian and second mon with a freaking Crustle once. It was crazy to me for some reason.

Typically Machamp with Mewtwo usually handles Giovanni for me.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Machamp never handles Giovanni's Persian for me.
    I found throwing an Aggron down for double normal move resistance was much more successful.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Hello friends please open your gifts so I can unlock this pumpkaboo pose that I spent $9 on.
    Probably most of my 75 Go friends no longer play or lurk this thread so the great purging will begin soon, because this is what pumpkaboo does to me. It makes me murder old friends.
    You have 11 days. Thanks love youuu

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Hello friends please open your gifts so I can unlock this pumpkaboo pose that I spent $9 on.
    Probably most of my 75 Go friends no longer play or lurk this thread so the great purging will begin soon, because this is what pumpkaboo does to me. It makes me murder old friends.
    You have 11 days. Thanks love youuu

What's your code? I'll add you to my family's account (3 of us).

• Options
    M2JBYFC37

• Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    M2JBYFC37

Should look like this:
    ml3hwlfynmor.png

• Options
    Um wow, thanks game, I'll take it
    am9fbow831j6.png

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Oh poop I copied the wrong thing. Haha that's some random referral code for new people.
    6389 2562 2467

• Options
    Added on all our accounts.

• Options
    Oh shit, after 3 years they are FINALLY updating the OSM map data! I don't know why they waited so long but thank God, this is long overdue

• Options
    Having a weird issue with PokeGenie... When I view this Pokemon it says 89% but when I have my trainer appraise it the number goes to 74. And then when I close the appraisal it goes back up to 89. Any ideas?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Having a weird issue with PokeGenie... When I view this Pokemon it says 89% but when I have my trainer appraise it the number goes to 74. And then when I close the appraisal it goes back up to 89. Any ideas?

No, sorry.

In other news, I managed to get both shiny Yamasks within 24 hours of the event starting! That never happens. Either I'm incredibly lucky or they cranked up the shiny rates for them (probably that one).

• Options
    edited October 2022

So in some cases PokeGenie can only give you a rough estimate of the IV %, but when you do appraisal it has enough information to give you an accurate one. So your pokemon is probably actually 74%.
    In other news, I managed to get both shiny Yamasks within 24 hours of the event starting! That never happens. Either I'm incredibly lucky or they cranked up the shiny rates for them (probably that one).

No luck on either of those for me, but I did have decent shiny luck in general. Murkrow, Shuppet, Misdreavus and Glameow, most of which were new for me (Murkrow wasn't, Glameow I have wanted for MONTHS... I was so bummed I didn't get it during Fashion Week). Also got a perfect Yamask (regular). I'll just have to keep trying for the shiny Yamasks :3 I also could not for the life of me find Mega Absol quests :/ Found Mega Gengar quests EVERYWHERE but only one Mega Absol out of all the pokestops I spun :( It's a rando thing though so hopefully there'll be more out tonight.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Turns out the 2 XL candy for buddy walking was apparently a misunderstanding by the infographic community, so that's a bit disappointing.

On the other hand I was able to find 7 of the Absol Mega Energy research quests on the first day of the event, so it should be smooth sailing to get the last few and start working on my planned evolve for that. Last one I need other than Mega Houndoom of the currently released megas, which I suspect is true of a lot of people who didn't bother with them until the new system was introduced. I appreciate that they gave us good coverage of the released ones over the course of the year since that change.

• Options
    That feeling when you're out playing Pokemon Go and you get a rando invite to a Mega Latias raid. So umm.. Now I have a Mega Latias :3 Didn't even know they were going on but apparently it's tied to Safari Zone Taipei

Now I may have to look for Mega Latios....

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Bought 100 pokeballs, think I wasted twenty of them trying to catch a clefable.

I can trounce my niece in a normal pokemon game but I'll never be able to curveball like she can in this shit. XD

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Finally got a Ditto! It was a Gastly.

• Options
    Thank you eveyrone who has opened their gifts. That pose is now mine forever.
    Still going to murder all the unopened on Halloween which is about 50 people so far.

Also managed to hatch 2 noibats in a row which saves me 555km of future walking.
    Only 1320km to go!

• Options
    Finally got a Ditto! It was a Gastly.

Congrats! Dittos are hard to find during events.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Any real benefit to keeping shadow pokemon aside from the cool aesthetic or should I just purify them?

Also my trainer code if anyone is interested, got a few gifts burning a hole in my pocket:

7113 6338 6875

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Shadow Pokemon get an attack bonus and a defense penalty. Purified Pokemon power up cheaper, sort of like weather bonus.

Shadow Pokemon can be really good for raids.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Shadow Pokemon get an attack bonus and a defense penalty. Purified Pokemon power up cheaper, sort of like weather bonus.

However, you have to wait for an event when you can TM away the charged move frustration, which all captured shadow Pokemon have. Yes, the move sucks.

Also, you have to live with the guilt of having Pokemon that are constantly wracked with pain that you can cure any time you feel like it but won't, because you want them to dogfight. You monster.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

However, you have to wait for an event when you can TM away the charged move frustration, which all captured shadow Pokemon have. Yes, the move sucks.

Also, you have to live with the guilt of having Pokemon that are constantly wracked with pain that you can cure any time you feel like it but won't, because you want them to dogfight. You monster.
    Good.

Their hate will make them stronger.

https://youtu.be/sObyG9bTf5A

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Shadow Pokemon also look cool as hell. Should I set a partner Pokemon strategically to get candy for them? Yes. Do I instead always have my shiny shadow Weezing as my partner because he looks cool as hell? Also yes.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed I'm seemingly always at max bag capacity at like 600 slots or whatever I have, I'm consistently tossing stuff I don't need but it seems like impossible to keep up.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm at 1100 slots, and all I can say is you want to get your backpack/Pokemon to a state where you have about 200/150 slots clean respectively after emptying.

Otherwise yeah, it's really annoying cleaning it out all the time.

With items specifically, you can also check whether you have a bunch of Evolution items gumming up too many slots too.
    They sit at the bottom of the list and insidiously grow in number slowly but surely.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm at 1100 slots, and all I can say is you want to get your backpack/Pokemon to a state where you have about 200/150 slots clean respectively after emptying.

Otherwise yeah, it's really annoying cleaning it out all the time.

With items specifically, you can also check whether you have a bunch of Evolution items gumming up too many slots too.
    They sit at the bottom of the list and insidiously grow in number slowly but surely.

^

I also find berries and TMs to be sneaky "taking up too much space" items. Pokestops love to inundate you with a bazillion razz and nanabs (I try to keep mine somewhere around 150/100 for razz/nanab and even that is probably way more than I'll ever need). And if you raid a lot, the TMs pile up too (tho I try not to throw these out unless the stack gets really high).

Anyways, finally managed to get a shiny Galarian Yamask this weekend, plus a couple others. Still no regular Yamask (eh, if I don't get whatever but I can also try in part 2.. but Galarian was the one I wanted more) and still no shiny Noibat (which I really want). Freaking 7k eggs also refuse to give me Noibats. I think I've gotten 2 in total from way more than that hatched :/ (I dunno, 10? 15?) Thank god this thing runs until the end of October but still, annoying. I don't need a bazillion Golurks and Phantumps, thanks game.

Was trying to compare part 2 to this part and as far as I can tell, they're largely identical? The wild spawns change a *little* (swapping a few out for costumed stuff) and the 5* changes to Origin Giratina (and 3*s get costumes but otherwise are the same), but yeah, other than the costumes and addition of shiny Pumpkaboo, mostly the same. Kinda weird. Though I've been hearing rumblings of a "surprise" also (suggestions of Mimikyu release, a way to hunt for shiny Spiritomb, etc). Dunno if this is true or just garbage rumors.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Four out of seven eggs this morning had Noibat, which was very nice, and one of them was actually a 3 star (15/15/13). Almost halfway there with candy, and would still love a shiny, but I can work with this.

• Options
    I toss all Nanab berries. And I keep my razz berries below 50. I also have 1400 item slots and am always full.... but I have 450 Ultra balls lol

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I toss all Nanab berries. And I keep my razz berries below 50. I also have 1400 item slots and am always full.... but I have 450 Ultra balls lol

I like to keep a few Nanabs cuz sometimes not having the pokemon move is useful for completing certain research tasks (i.e. X great throws in a row, etc) but yeah, they're largely useless.

Also damn, I wish I had that Noibat luck. There's still a lot of time and I specifically stocked up on super incubators for this, so I'm hopeful.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Holy shit. I know someone here is KayleSolo but I can't remember who... Thank you for that Giratina raid invite! Ended up being a shiny and a 3* one at that!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    So this was a fun few days. My Pokemon Go account is bound to a disused facebook account, which decided to force me to change my password. But the password has been saved for so long (at least four phones now) I forgot it and it wouldn't autocomplete in the change password form. Ok, but I can recover it with an email... An old @hotmail.com email I used in college and I don't know the password for. And it's secondary email is set as an even older @googlemail.com email from the goddamn gmail invite-only beta and I couldn't even figure out how to get into that until I found out the domain was interchangeable with @gmail.com, and my old WoW account was tied to that, and I actually still remember the password for that (though my authenticator is long lost) AND the password is the same as the gmail. WHEW!

It took four days and self-phishing two college emails and a WoW account I haven't played since before Cataclysm just to get back into Pokemon Go because my kid hit the green button after logging in took more than five seconds and that counts as an unusual login pattern. Since I'm doing all my old 2005 internet stuff, who wants to go wardriving and ping the cash registers at Home Depot?

Hevach on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I know someone here is KayleSolo but I can't remember who... Thank you for that Giratina raid invite! Ended up being a shiny and a 3* one at that!

Glad we added you!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    I recommend everyone do tonight's spotlight hour:

• Options
    Should I make something easy to catch?

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I recommend everyone do tonight's spotlight hour:

I don't recommend everyone do tonight's spotlight hour.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    *siiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

I seriously gotta ask at this point.. do they not have tests for this stuff? There's been a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of issues with rollouts of events and new pokemon (mostly forgetting to turn on shinies). It feels like they just use New Zealand to test if it works and then disable it if it's broken :/

Like, speaking as a programmer, do you not have a test environment where you can do a test rollout and check if everything's working? Automated unit tests? This kind of thing? The shiny thing especially has happened so many times I'm shocked there are not regression tests to make sure it's turned on properly...

Edit: And I get some things are still gonna slip through the cracks, especially if there are issues created by scaling it up to basically the entire world (i.e. things caused by lag, etc). But these things aren't that. These are things that could *easily* be caught in testing. Mistakes happen, for sure, but this is a pattern and it's kind of ridiculous...

Warlock82 on