As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    yeah i played that, it was very detailed. if the whole mod is of that quality it's going to be simply amazing.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I... Didn't finish Fallout 4. Its actually the one major release I paid full price for and never did.

I dont care what tech is in the game, as long as they fix the awful writing. Fallout 3 was a masterpiece by comparison.

Eh Fallout 3 was pretty bad at writing too.

Fallout 4 I felt like honestly had pacing issues more than anything else. Fallout 3 keeps you moving, keeps putting cool stuff in front of your face, and has more cool stuff to find.

Fallout 4 doesn’t really have the push you along narrative of New Vegas or the wander out and do your own thing but always find cool stuff element of fallout 3. Its basically either you like starting settlements and being johnny appleseed or you have not much to do for the first 15 or 20 levels. And by the time you get back on the narrative 10 hours later its hard to give a shit about your kid or whatever.

FO3 had at least some characters I enjoyed. Moira, Fawkes, Charon, Sarah.

If I do finish FO4 it will likely be an evil play through because I just dont care about these Factions or characters.

Nick can stay though.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I... Didn't finish Fallout 4. Its actually the one major release I paid full price for and never did.

I dont care what tech is in the game, as long as they fix the awful writing. Fallout 3 was a masterpiece by comparison.

Eh Fallout 3 was pretty bad at writing too.

Fallout 4 I felt like honestly had pacing issues more than anything else. Fallout 3 keeps you moving, keeps putting cool stuff in front of your face, and has more cool stuff to find.

Fallout 4 doesn’t really have the push you along narrative of New Vegas or the wander out and do your own thing but always find cool stuff element of fallout 3. Its basically either you like starting settlements and being johnny appleseed or you have not much to do for the first 15 or 20 levels. And by the time you get back on the narrative 10 hours later its hard to give a shit about your kid or whatever.

FO3 had at least some characters I enjoyed. Moira, Fawkes, Charon, Sarah.

If I do finish FO4 it will likely be an evil play through because I just dont care about these Factions or characters.

Nick can stay though.

I honestly really liked the amount of personality Fallout 3 squeezed into its companions for basically not having much more to work with than Skyrim. The neutral and evil companions are pretty cool but most people just use Cross, Charon, and Fawkes because its hard not to end up with good karma (though TTW fixes this).

Jericho is one of my faves especially.

FO4, yeah. The railroad really falls flat for me and all you have left when the main good guy faction falls flat are 2 villain factions and the minutemen who are basically just Yes Man.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    I can’t imagine playing fo4 on anything but pc just because of not having mods.

Mods are weird. When I get into installing mods I spend 3 or 4 days installing them and getting them to work. Then I play the game for an hour and then it sits on my computer wasting precious HDD space lol

I'm guilty as well, and finally just embraced the Wabbajack. It beams curated modpacks straight into your system -- obviously it has some disadvantages over hand picking everything yourself, but generally gets you a lot more stability than slamming the same number of mods in there yourself (and saves the 3-4 days of slowly building your mod list, crashing, removing, re-testing).

I can't resist fine tuning stuff, so I've mostly used them as a base and customized things I don't like as much, but it's saved me a ton of time over the completely manual method in Fallout 3 / New Vegas and Skyrim.

If you're in a Fallout 3 / New Vegas mood, Capital Punishment is good! It's built around Tale of Two Wastelands so you get Fallout 3 and New Vegas inside of New Vegas's engine. It does skew hard core / survival-ey, but has tons of in-game menus to disable pretty much all of that if you're in the mood.

They have more variety on the Fallout 4 side, but I haven't gotten around to trying any of them out yet.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Solid Project, Diagonal Movement, and one or two animation packs are pretty much all you need to take 90% of the jank out of Vegas. The one I use is Gopher's for stances and 3rd person, and Hitman's for 1st person shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_3I3PbFAE

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I was going to try to hit up 76 again, but apparently I can't get the library transfer to Steam to work. Have my account linked, but every time I go to transfer I get a "Already Read" error. Bethesda support, is of course, utterly broken. Can't even submit a ticket, it just hangs.

Can I just log in off of Game Pass instead? I'd like to know before I spend ~80gb of my data usage for nothing.

• Options
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I was going to try to hit up 76 again, but apparently I can't get the library transfer to Steam to work. Have my account linked, but every time I go to transfer I get a "Already Read" error. Bethesda support, is of course, utterly broken. Can't even submit a ticket, it just hangs.

Can I just log in off of Game Pass instead? I'd like to know before I spend ~80gb of my data usage for nothing.

No idea, but any chance you tried to log in during the morning on Tuesday? There was a patch so I assume there was at least some downtime.

Semi-related: please for the love of all that is good, people; if you're putting out a candy bowl, put it somewhere obvious! Usually near your vending machines works, but some decorations around it to draw attention is always helpful.

I appreciate that people seem to be largely putting out bowls, but 9/10 camps I visit have them either in completely arbitrary places, or just in a shelf with their litany of other decorations and is hard to see.

Also, just throwing it out there; when you pick a place for your camp and start to plan something, do yourself a favor and fast travel to your camp from different places, so you can see where other players will first appear in your camp (also for your own convenience) and try to plan your stuff around that so when people appear they're not showing up on the ass end of your camp or worse, in geometry. If you've got it set up to intentionally troll players and spawn them on a cliff or something, well, you suck :lol: if you're building your camp wholly for yourself you don't have to make it public!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    There’s no world or any company where “5 would already be out”, unless that company was dedicated solely to making fallout games. Bethesda is allowed to make other games than fallout.
    Well...in a perfect world.
    Sirialis wrote: »

Fallout 4 answer sheet:

1. Yes.
    2. Uh huh.
    3. Yeah.
    4. No... But actually yes.
    Thank god they're backtracking hard as hell on this with Starfield.

Really did a lot to elevate my hype for that one.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Did we forget about New Vegas in here. What's this "No world" stuff. Every studio in existence could have done it by now if they wanted to (and got the license). It's not likely they would be allowed to or maybe no one wants to, but mainly I'm just expressing dissatisfaction with waiting and hoping the new game is worth it.

And where is Elder Scrolls 6!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    We'll see Elder Scrolls VI a day before the sun burns up. No sooner.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Pretty much every Bethesda game has arrived exactly when they’ve announced it, starfield was the first to be delayed and they had covid as an extenuating factor. Elder scrolls will likely arrive a few years after starfield. It’s not some crazy long production, they’ve literally been working on another game most of the time.

• Options
    With Obsidian and Bethesda under the same roof now, and the other stuff Bethesda is working on, it seems like there's a deecent chance we get an Obsidian Fallout before a Bethesda one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Fiatil wrote: »
    With Obsidian and Bethesda under the same roof now, and the other stuff Bethesda is working on, it seems like there's a deecent chance we get an Obsidian Fallout before a Bethesda one.
    Yeah but with as stacked with projects as Obsidian was before the merger, I doubt we will even begin to see or hear a whiff of anything like that being confirmed until around 2024-2026 and I feel like thats me being optimistic.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah but with as stacked with projects as Obsidian was before the merger, I doubt we will even begin to see or hear a whiff of anything like that being confirmed until around 2024-2026 and I feel like thats me being optimistic.

They only got two in the pipe now, but I imagine Pillars of Elder Scrolls will certainly keep Obsidian too busy to take on another of its ilk.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Did we forget about New Vegas in here. What's this "No world" stuff. Every studio in existence could have done it by now if they wanted to (and got the license). It's not likely they would be allowed to or maybe no one wants to, but mainly I'm just expressing dissatisfaction with waiting and hoping the new game is worth it.

New Vegas had the advantage of recycling assets that had already been created for Fallout 3. I love the world it presents, but I also understand that the reason the devs had the luxury of making it so good is because they were building on top of something that already had the hard work done for them.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

New Vegas had the advantage of recycling assets that had already been created for Fallout 3. I love the world it presents, but I also understand that the reason the devs had the luxury of making it so good is because they were building on top of something that already had the hard work done for them.

So you're saying Starfield: The New West. Will be amazing?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yeah, sure, but the thing is that the studio was completely unfamiliar with the engine and Fallout New Vegas was made in only 18 months.

They managed to pull it off by hiring a Fallout 3 modder to help them with the engine.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There's a part of me that's still somewhat bothered that the modders are able to do things with these games that the people whose actual job it is to make them can't or won't, with all of their internal tools and documentation and such.
    but it's been made clear that modders have effectively infinite time to do what they do, and the official devs... don't.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Modders have passion and aren't constantly forced to justify how doing so and so will help sell more copies, actually!

That said, Bethesda definitely takes them for granted in the bugfix department.

• Options

It did, but it was also a rushed miracle that I was fortunate I didn't play on release. Try playing a non Ultimate edition... or dont.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Modders have passion and aren't constantly forced to justify how doing so and so will help sell more copies, actually!

Relatedly, modders are on their own timetable, not some financial quarterly one

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    Classy of Bethesda to gather thoughts on Fallout with short interviews of the developers.
    Back in the day I just could not put Fallout 1 down. Going through Junktown, clearing lock boxes and book cases for loot. Raiding homes and bugging NPC's for background story or quests. Just nothing quite like it. I talked to my buddies about RPG's and they could only think of Final Fantasy. Pen & Paper RPGs were not cool back then as they are now.
    I find validation in my interests that when I was into Fallout, nobody had heard of it. Now every gamer knows about it.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »

Relatedly, modders are on their own timetable, not some financial quarterly one

To give some credit to Bethesda as well: it's also just how they design their toolkit. The Creation Kit that modders use is basically the same thing as what their studio uses to develop the game. Obviously they do under the hood stuff to start, but it sounds like their asset creation process is basically the same as a modder's process with the Creation Kit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/U_vhnMEt-ns

Has this been posted in here yet, because holy shit this is good. :o

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Bethesda chose to be fucking cowards. EDIT: maybe "chose to continue being fucking cowards" would be more accurate?

https://youtu.be/ivEN07dMr2s

Even if I had some sympathy for people with legacy weapons when they thought they were going to be removed, the sheer amount of petulant and asshole griefing that has gone on in PEs since the announcement would have wiped it out. At this point these shitbags have now been rewarded for ruining people's events for weeks, and will get a bonus reward by absolutely trivializing the new boss next week, and even if they do end up finally pulling legacies in the relative near future, they'll have already gotten everything and will have just diminished it for everyone.

I don't even expect to have the mini-nuke spam reduced in events because if you're childish enough to fuck things up for others because you feel like you're being hurt, you're probably childish enough to ruin it for everyone to celebrate continuing to be a douchebag.

Fucking. Pathetic.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    wrong thread

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What are legacy weapons and why are they so bad? I haven't played in years at this point.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    What are legacy weapons and why are they so bad? I haven't played in years at this point.
    Unbalanced weapons with overpowered mod combinations that trivilize content and make events shit for those of us who actually play with normal gear and want to actually hit something once in awhile.

• Options
    Was in southern nevada and saw a few new vegas areas. Its pretty amazing I think the areas south of vegas are more desolate in real life.

Interesting that Goodsprings, Primm, and Nipton are real places (and didn’t seem that much bigger in real life than in game). A bit sad Novac isn’t real though.

Whenever I get back down Zion is on the list to go see, didn’t have time to go out of the way this time. I’m not huge on hiking though but may have to make an exception.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Novac is a pastiche of a bunch of different roadside attraction type things.

• Options
    it took me way too long to figure out why that town is called Novac
    t2yiguntuv7f.png

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Novac is a pastiche of a bunch of different roadside attraction type things.

Yeah it seems like they needed a stop there and cobbled it together from a few other random things in the southwest, like how Helios 1 is on the location of a real solar plant but takes its design from a plant in California. IRL there isn’t anything at all in the area other than solar farms. There’s no actual paved road going north off the highway between nipton and searchlight so that whole section of the map seems to be made up. Which is fine, alternate future reality and all that.

Interestingly enough the area Lonesome road seems to be set in is in the real world right where Death Valley is, and pretty close to the Yucca mountain Nuclear Waste facility and Nevada nuclear testing site. There’s nothing much there in real life (you can go to Death Valley that way from vegas passing by Mt. Charleston - aka New Vegas Jacobstown), which is definitely something I want to do at some point), and I’m not sure how practical starting a community on the edge of death valley would in the post-apocalypse even if there was a preexisting military base there. Still neat though.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    If I remember my Fallout geography correctly Vaults 13 and 15 are both located within Death Valley. I suppose as a region far away from where anyone sensible would be living would make them somewhat sensible locations for nuclear bunkers, although it would be rough going for anyone emerging out of said bunkers after the bombs fell.

• Options
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    If I remember my Fallout geography correctly Vaults 13 and 15 are both located within Death Valley. I suppose as a region far away from where anyone sensible would be living would make them somewhat sensible locations for nuclear bunkers, although it would be rough going for anyone emerging out of said bunkers after the bombs fell.

IIRC they mentioned Vault 13 is under Mount Whitney, Vault 15 is on the edge of Death Valley. Shady sands is between them, probably around I 395. I don’t think there’s much there in real life, but shady sands was founded post-apocalypse.

• Options
    Its still really bizzare to me that Obsidian did nothing with Area 51.

I mean...its right there.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Its still really bizzare to me that Obsidian did nothing with Area 51.

I mean...its right there.

There’s a lot of stuff right off the edge of the map IRL. Laughlin/Bullhead, Death Valley, Valley of Fire, Yucca Mountain, Nevada Test Site, Area 51…. I understand though that there’s only so much time to make stuff and feel like they did a pretty good job.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    They mentioned at some point that there's a lot of open desert between Vegas and Area 51 without a lot of stuff they could build content to fill, and Fallout 3 already had its own alien focussed DLC, so making another would have been a bit redundant. So we got Old World Blues instead.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I would have liked to see Area 51 as a DLC which would have taken care of the in-between areas issue. Maybe have it less focused on but still include Zetans and their technology in general, a bunch of super-secret shit.

Basically just give me like 10 more DLCs and I'd have purchased every one of them. It's not like Bethesda is going to do anything on the west coast.