As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

1575860626375

Posts

  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I just beat the game and got the "Real Ending".
    Holy shit, that was insane. I think my hand cramped up from holding down Z for 3 boss fights in a row.

    My Name Is Luke on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    I would kill for a wallpaper of
    The zoomed out shot when #1's dragon whip is floating straight up in the air

    Fix'd (for me at least)

    gunwarrior on
  • willyjameswillyjames Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Hello,

    I just wanted to say No More Heroes was awesome. In my opinion it had a great story and the combat was extremely fun. I am becoming a fan of simplistic control over combos that require the push of many different buttons. Uncharted and Assassin's Creed felt very similar control-wise. Anyway, my friend just sent me a gift through iTunes, and it was the funniest thing I heard. It was the full song "Heavenly Star" from when you talk to Naomi and other parts of No More Heroes. I guess you can buy the soundtrack. Anyway, just wanted to share.

    willyjames on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    No no, the best background is clearly
    Travis walking down the desert road walled in by the wind farm during #5.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No More Heroes is basically Suda 51's version of Assassins Creed.

    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    No no, the best background is clearly
    Travis walking down the desert road walled in by the wind farm during #5.

    Bah, lies, each and every one of them!

    the best would be:
    Travis stuck to the wall after taking the charge up blast from Dr. Peace

    Unearthly Stew on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So far this one has been serving me fine.

    http://star.walagata.com/w/fugitive/NMHBG.png

    Fugitive on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    No More Heroes is basically Suda 51's version of Assassins Creed.
    That's almost certainly one of the games he sought to assess with this.

    Actually, there's a surprising amount of depth to the combat, which really makes you think on the feet. Pulling off sidesteps, for instance, is often dependent upon which side your target is attacking from- which hand he leads with or where the attack is coming from. Do it wrong and you can slide into the attack, and they'll either block you or evade it (Shinobu's a good example of this) I think a lot of developers would have skimped on that detail. Pulling of parry charges also really demands you have a deep understanding of the pace of the combat.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just started this. "FUCKHEADS!"

    i-barfd.jpg

    *ugh* Still fun though. I just have trouble endorsing it because it's just a brawler with over-the-top violence and corny dialog to anyone else I might suggest it to.

    His only motivation is a number? For realz?

    CZroe on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    He has another motivation as well. Well, two others.

    But you don't find out about one of them until the very conclusion of the game, in one of the greatest endgames I've ever played.

    The other is pussy.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    After today's brief playing, I'm still ranked #8.

    And there are no more Lolikov Balls left for me to get. Which kinda makes me sad. :(

    AnakinOU on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, so his only motivation is a number. You, the player, are only motivated by the goal of the game; being the number one ranked assassin. You, the player, are also driven by the promise of hot babes who want to do stuff to you. You, the player, also want a narrative with huge twists and turns to the plot, which the game all but assaults you with. I don't think people are giving this game enough credit for how ELEGANTLY it looks at gamer culture. The game gives you some narration so you know generally what's going on, and then it just starts beating you over the head with blood, action, and profanity. Isn't that what we all want from our games?

    l337CrappyJack on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rank 7 now. Whee. That was a lot easier than rank 8.

    Jragghen on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    So I finally reached the end of my second run last night, and played through the Real Ending.

    And I've gotta say, it really is the best ending I've ever played in a game.

    Though I thought that #1 was far, far more difficult than the real end boss. He's just so freaking easy to darkside step, and all of his attacks are easy to avoid. I did get hit by his one hit kill, and I'm glad I did, because it was awesome.

    Wow. Truly amazing. The perfect cap to one of the best games I've ever played.

    Incidentally:

    WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME YOU CAN DIG UP TRADING CARDS!?!?!

    I found my first trading card while digging for the hell of it on my way to the #1 ranking match.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

    Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruceski wrote: »
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    Which one is that? The old woman?

    urahonky on
  • bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    Which one is that? The old woman?

    The beach.

    bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

    Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    #6 is Holly Summers.

    The dodge game is really important for Holly, since her missiles can do a good deal of damage to you, and she fires so many that they can be hard to avoid. Worse still, she fires them in a way that you can't really track their movement, since they travel off screen.

    Honestly, I beat her my first time because she sort of got stuck in a loop of running back and forth between two locations that were close enough to one another that I could get to her and start wailing on her before she did anything. So I can't really offer any tips aside from...try to do that.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruceski wrote: »
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    My beach strategy:
    Lock on, dodge around, fall into all the holes and tap or waggle your way out before she lobs a grenade in, and when she goes into her move to brush sand over the trap again, wail on her. You can usually dizzy her at this point I think. Dodging her projectiles a couple of meters away and then rushing her a second or two after they launch will get you a few hits too. She's not that hard.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    My beach strategy:
    Lock on, dodge around, fall into all the holes and tap or waggle your way out before she lobs a grenade in, and when she goes into her move to brush sand over the trap again, wail on her. You can usually dizzy her at this point I think. Dodging her projectiles a couple of meters away and then rushing her a second or two after they launch will get you a few hits too. She's not that hard.

    That's pretty close to mine, just add this:
    The holes are all in the same spot every time, just memorize them. And when she shoots those missiles at you, wait until they get close, then lock-on to her and side step like 3-4 times. After they blow up you have a few seconds until she moves again. The main time to hit her is when she throws the sand at you. If you're close she'll do it and pause for a second, giving you time to wail on her.

    Edit: I couldn't spell holes. :(

    urahonky on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    My beach strategy:
    Lock on, dodge around, fall into all the holes and tap or waggle your way out before she lobs a grenade in, and when she goes into her move to brush sand over the trap again, wail on her. You can usually dizzy her at this point I think. Dodging her projectiles a couple of meters away and then rushing her a second or two after they launch will get you a few hits too. She's not that hard.

    That's pretty close to mine, just add this:
    The holes are all in the same spot every time, just memorize them. And when she shoots those missiles at you, wait until they get close, then lock-on to her and side step like 3-4 times. After they blow up you have a few seconds until she moves again. The main time to hit her is when she throws the sand at you. If you're close she'll do it and pause for a second, giving you time to wail on her.

    Edit: I couldn't spell holes. :(

    Spoilered because it's a "cheap" method:
    That's quicker, but I find it easier to just fall in them. As long as you start tapping/waggling immediately, you won't take any damage at all.

    Actually, falling in a hole is a very cheap way of evading her attack. All of her attacks fail if you just hop into one of her traps. It will immediately trigger the QTE for getting out which triggers her hopping back and getting ready to lob a grenade in.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »
    So I'm trying to stay away from Gamefaqs these days to avoid temptation, and I'm stuck on #6. Do I just need to keep whittling off life and playing a good dodge game or is there a way to pull off good damage like #8?

    Also, are the moais all over the place referencing something, or does Grasshopper just like moais?

    My beach strategy:
    Lock on, dodge around, fall into all the holes and tap or waggle your way out before she lobs a grenade in, and when she goes into her move to brush sand over the trap again, wail on her. You can usually dizzy her at this point I think. Dodging her projectiles a couple of meters away and then rushing her a second or two after they launch will get you a few hits too. She's not that hard.

    That's pretty close to mine, just add this:
    The holes are all in the same spot every time, just memorize them. And when she shoots those missiles at you, wait until they get close, then lock-on to her and side step like 3-4 times. After they blow up you have a few seconds until she moves again. The main time to hit her is when she throws the sand at you. If you're close she'll do it and pause for a second, giving you time to wail on her.

    Edit: I couldn't spell holes. :(

    Spoilered because it's a "cheap" method:
    That's quicker, but I find it easier to just fall in them. As long as you start tapping/waggling immediately, you won't take any damage at all.

    Actually, falling in a hole is a very cheap way of evading her attack. All of her attacks fail if you just hop into one of her traps. It will immediately trigger the QTE for getting out which triggers her hopping back and getting ready to lob a grenade in.
    Missiles can lock on to you in the hole if you fall in at precisely the right time. It sucks, but it is also very rare.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I beat the game on Mild and saw both endings. Is there any reason to play through on Bitter? I heard that the cards are different but is there anything cool that I would miss if I started playing something else now?

    Other than just playing it through again for fun I mean.

    Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I beat #6 easily when I came back to it, I guess I just needed a break.

    #5 spoilers, something I noticed.
    Was that a Virtual Boy he pulled down for targeting?

    bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

    Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • DeyisDeyis Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Yes it does look like a virtual boy, also there is a N64 in his living room on a shelve behind his chair

    Deyis on
  • StupornautStupornaut Registered User
    edited February 2008
    bruceski wrote: »
    I beat #6 easily when I came back to it, I guess I just needed a break.

    #5 spoilers, something I noticed.
    Was that a Virtual Boy he pulled down for targeting?

    Yep. I'm a different kind of geek, so the first thing I noticed about that was
    The sticker on it, which bore a certain resemblance to the logo of Johnny Rotten/Lydon's post-Sex Pistols band, Public Image Ltd.

    Stupornaut on

    Stupornaut.jpg
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Stupornaut wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »
    I beat #6 easily when I came back to it, I guess I just needed a break.

    #5 spoilers, something I noticed.
    Was that a Virtual Boy he pulled down for targeting?

    Yep. I'm a different kind of geek, so the first thing I noticed about that was
    The sticker on it, which bore a certain resemblance to the logo of Johnny Rotten/Lydon's post-Sex Pistols band, Public Image Ltd.
    Letz also refers to a part of his machine as "cell"-something while it activates. Given the excessively elaborate nature of his weapon, that could be a reference to the PS3.

    Not that I'm looking to summon the dreaded "lol Sony" posts. I loves me some PS3. But Suda 51 might not, or he just might have wanted to cram yet another morsel of gaming culture self-reference into his tribute/satire masterpiece.

    Raughn on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Krentz wrote: »
    I beat the game on Mild and saw both endings. Is there any reason to play through on Bitter? I heard that the cards are different but is there anything cool that I would miss if I started playing something else now?

    Other than just playing it through again for fun I mean.

    No additional scenes/ending, but you get concept art instead of collectible cards apparently.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Raughn wrote: »
    Stupornaut wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »
    I beat #6 easily when I came back to it, I guess I just needed a break.

    #5 spoilers, something I noticed.
    Was that a Virtual Boy he pulled down for targeting?

    Yep. I'm a different kind of geek, so the first thing I noticed about that was
    The sticker on it, which bore a certain resemblance to the logo of Johnny Rotten/Lydon's post-Sex Pistols band, Public Image Ltd.
    Letz also refers to a part of his machine as "cell"-something while it activates. Given the excessively elaborate nature of his weapon, that could be a reference to the PS3.

    Not that I'm looking to summon the dreaded "lol Sony" posts. I loves me some PS3. But Suda 51 might not, or he just might have wanted to cram yet another morsel of gaming culture self-reference into his tribute/satire masterpiece.
    Incidentally, Letz's giant machine is infact an Earthquake Machine.

    Which is awesome.

    The game's final cutscene has the single best execution of character acting I have ever seen in a video game.
    When Travis asks Henry why he keeps calling him by his first name, and Henry says "You can't be serious" in the most incredulous manner possible. They even nailed the look of utter dumbfoundedness in the animation. It's subtle, but astonishingly well done.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I just beat it and got the bad ending

    Is there no way to go back and fight Jeane again to get the good ending? It wasn't till after I had beaten her and saved that I found out I needed the fourth katana to get the real ending. Do I have to go through the whole thing again?

    elevature on
  • Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User
    edited February 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    So I just beat it and got the bad ending

    Is there no way to go back and fight Jeane again to get the good ending? It wasn't till after I had beaten her and saved that I found out I needed the fourth katana to get the real ending. Do I have to go through the whole thing again?
    I don't think so. Load up the save you have after beating her, pick the option that lets you return to Santa Destroy, then you can go get the 4th Katana, go back to your apartment, go to Save and it should give you the option to see the real ending. I haven't tested this myself, but I heard it should work.

    Octopus Melody on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Did you save the Clear file over it?

    That's what I did. I had to replay the whole game.

    Which was totally worth it, by the way.

    If you didn't save the Clear file over your Rank 1 file, you should be able to return to Santa Destroy to get the last sword.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just started it today, after having it still in its packaging since release day. Man, that part with the cell phone!
    I finally figured out that you're supposed to hold the Wii Remote to your ear just as she signed off. Gagh.

    Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    So I just beat it and got the bad ending

    Is there no way to go back and fight Jeane again to get the good ending? It wasn't till after I had beaten her and saved that I found out I needed the fourth katana to get the real ending. Do I have to go through the whole thing again?
    I don't think so. Load up the save you have after beating her, pick the option that lets you return to Santa Destroy, then you can go get the 4th Katana, go back to your apartment, go to Save and it should give you the option to see the real ending. I haven't tested this myself, but I heard it should work.

    Success! thanks so much.

    EDIT: beat'd! The real ending is so much better. Now to go back and read all the spoilers in this thread.

    elevature on
  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited February 2008
    So I haven't read any of the spoilers since I just beat the real ending tonight (which was fantastic, by the way) but has anybody recorded and slowed down
    Jeane's
    speech to make it understandable? If so, is there a transcript floating around somewhere?

    Edit: Oh, found it. Should've looked before asking. :) To watch!

    Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, like 10 pages back.

    There's a YouTube link.

    Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    Yeah, like 10 pages back.

    There's a YouTube link.

    Man, you're not kidding. Cripes.

    That just makes the ending that much more awesome.

    Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I actually liked the number one fight because
    it had a more serious vibe that was absent from a lot of the rest of the game...plus it was cool to see just how good Jeane was, compared to yourself. Even darkstepping wouldn't work against her. Not to mention how goddamn good you have to be to fight a swordsman with just your body. And the feeling of dread that goes through you when you lose that last blow and she punches you...oh man.

    It was appropriate for a last boss fight.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, Shinobu is killing me on Bitter. I need to figure out a better way to consistently stun her, because wrestling moves seem to be the best way to drain her health. I can't imagine the last few bosses on bitter. This will not be fun.
    It will be SO MUCH FUN.

    Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    I actually liked the number one fight because
    it had a more serious vibe that was absent from a lot of the rest of the game...plus it was cool to see just how good Jeane was, compared to yourself. Even darkstepping wouldn't work against her. Not to mention how goddamn good you have to be to fight a swordsman with just your body. And the feeling of dread that goes through you when you lose that last blow and she punches you...oh man.

    It was appropriate for a last boss fight.

    Eh...
    She was waaaay to easy though. After the first time I grabbed her I thought, "Hrm, maybe I shouldn't grab her anymore..." So every time I stunned her I just opened up a new combo on her, which lead to another stun, which lead to another combo, etc. I really thought Henry was the better fight of the two.

    Unearthly Stew on
This discussion has been closed.