As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Probably) buying a digital camera. Halp?

QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
To make a long story short, the camera on my cell phone gave up the ghost, so I've decided that between the $75 out-of-warranty repair costs and buying a point & shoot, the latter would probably be the best course of action. But that's about as far as I've gotten. I like photography quite a bit and currently have a not-quite DSLR (hopefully a D40 is in the near future), so I don't want a really crappy camera. However, I can't decide between just getting a low end, $100 model or just sucking it up and spending some more for a good one. Manual control would be nice, but I know that's not an option in the low-low end route. I also have a $25 GC to BB, so I'd like to get it there if I can. Anyhoo, just wondering if all ya'll had any suggestions! 8-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
QuarterMaster on

• TalondelTalondel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This would be a good hold out until you can afford a D-SLR:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/fuji-finepix-s700_reviews.html

In general this site and a couple others do really good reviews. If you don't like my suggestion, check out your price range on those sites and go with one of theirs:

http://dpreview.com/

Talondel on
  • QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, thanks for the links! I guess I should clarify though - I'm looking more for a point & shoot that I can carry around with me easily. This is the "almost" dSLR that I currently have, which has worked great for me so far. It's just really big. :P

Edit: I've been eying this Fujifilm Z5fd. Reviewers seem to like it, and I like the small size. And I might as well admit that looks are at least a little important.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd say go with either the Canon G9 or the S3IS. Basically when it comes to camera and whatnot Canon and Nikon are your best bets - both in quality and reputation, as well as compatibility with equipment later on. Both the ones I suggested are pretty high end point and shoots with all the manual controls. Shit, I think the G9 even shoots in raw. They are damn close to dSLR's, at about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of an entry level dSLR.

UnknownSaint on
  • QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd say go with either the Canon G9 or the S3IS. Basically when it comes to camera and whatnot Canon and Nikon are your best bets - both in quality and reputation, as well as compatibility with equipment later on. Both the ones I suggested are pretty high end point and shoots with all the manual controls. Shit, I think the G9 even shoots in raw. They are damn close to dSLR's, at about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of an entry level dSLR.

Yeah, I've looked at both of those. But like I said, what I'm looking for right now is a point & shoot. Besides, the D40 is cheaper than the G9 on Amazon, and only a little more than the S3IS.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Big 3 page thread about P+S camera suggestions. It's really quite hard to go wrong if you pick a budget and get the nearest Canon A series camera, especially considering it will just be a backup/pocket camera after you get your DSLR. Remember, MP mean nothing on smaller cameras and 8+ on a point and shoot should be considered a negative point, not a positive. They'll only increase noise by a massive degree.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg