As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

19596979899101»

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I did a bunch of standing dumbbell Arnold presses and dumbbell upright rows and my shoulders are now informing me that I haven't been doing very much shoulder isolation work (due to lack of dumbbells mostly). Only thing for it is to do more I guess.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Managed to deadlift 405 for a fairly quick triple today. Would have gone for one more but I didn't put clips on and some of the plates had wobbled out of place.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My boy Jeff Nippard coming in clutch (do the kids still say that?) with a video laser targeted at exactly what I need. Effective, minimalist training.

https://youtu.be/xc4OtzAnVMI

I'm definitely gonna give this a swing and see how it goes.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    New SSB PR today. Ten pounds up from last month and I held onto the handles for every rep, which makes me think I left some weight on the table. Looking forward to seeing how all these hypertrophy blocks carry over to my strength work in two weeks.

Got to the gym late so leg day went out the window. Decided to start week off with an accessory day so I did a bunch of superset splits and it went decent. I was already tired so I expect legs wouldn't have gone well.

That said, I was at work yesterday and I had the corner of an angle iron jab right into my tendonitis riddled right elbow and holy fucking shit it immediately set the whole thing off. It's been almost 24 hours and it still hurts to bend, even with naproxen, which makes anything like tricep extensions, bench presses and bicep curls very uncomfortable.

Its wild, I've never had that happen before.

Have you looked at any kind of support for your elbows Jugg? I, like seemingly everyone who's picked up a weight, have always been battling elbow tendonitis of one sort or another and there are sleeves/cuffs that you can get that make a big difference.

Yeah, elbow sleeves eliminated tendon issues in my elbows. I throw them on for any kind of bench work and anything with a weight held overhead.

I definitely could use them yeah. Probably knee sleeves too.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone got brand recommendations for sleeves? I've been having elbow pain since I switched to dumbbell press exclusively.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Also, more importantly, with both knee sleeves and elbow sleeves, I can pretend I’m wearing armor and going to war when I lift. Like all the real badasses on the internet.

The two main kinds are neoprene or stretchy fabric sleeves and an elastic cuff; I use these neoprene shorties for my accessory stuff and back days, I don't like the full sleeve up my forearm, and Slingshot compression cuffs for my bench/pressing days. You'll want to size the compression cuffs at least an inch down for proper tightness, I just order the sleeves according to the sizing chart.

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone got brand recommendations for sleeves? I've been having elbow pain since I switched to dumbbell press exclusively.

I like my SBDs. I’ve heard good things about Stoics, too.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thank you both. It's annoying because dumbbell press feels so much better in terms of ROM and how worked my chest feels, but getting them into position seems to stress my elbow.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited October 2022
    Gork wrote: »
    Also, more importantly, with both knee sleeves and elbow sleeves, I can pretend I’m wearing armor and going to war when I lift. Like all the real badasses on the internet.

This is why I'm enjoying my current ones, they are extremely extra but you can lock down exactly the bit of you that's owie and just undo the velcro when you don't need it anymore and they make you feel like you're putting on tactical combat warfare lifting gear.

Peen on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I bought Cerberus elbow sleeves and they are a fight getting on but they leave my elbows quite happy.

Fun fact, I don’t get near as much elbow pain when I do a bunch of variety grip bicep and tricep work (also not pounding the shit out of heavy straight bar squats / bench)

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Working through what may be the longest ChadBot workout I have dealt with. Four sets of close grip bench, six sets of RDLs, SEVEN sets of front squats, three sets of step ups, three sets of GHR. I need an intraworkout nap for this.

edited October 2022
    Alright first day of the new program and so far it looks pretty straightforward.

All weights but at least the first blocs look to mostly be dumbbell, machine and cable work with 1 to 2 heavy sets and a good sprinkling in of drop sets or super sets. So their conceite is maximal effort per set (8-9 RPE) and to either increase weight or rep count each week while keeping the actual number of working sets low.

It's going to take a little experimentation to find the sweet spot of taking a set to failure without you know, breaking and still being efficient. So I think what I may do is pick a hard weight and then increase my rep count a bit until I get to the either 6-8 rep range for the real hard sets or the 10-12 range for the lighter sets then go up 5 pounds or something and start my ladder in the next weight range. So for example today called for 1 heavy set of flat dumbbell bench presses for 4 to 6 reps. I knocked out two sets of 75 lbs because I could've probably done 90-100+ for one set of 4 but with the weirdness in my right shoulder/bicep I don't want to get cocky. So next go round I may go up 5 pounds and do 80 for 6-8. Then go to 85 or 90 pounds for 4-6 then 90 lbs for 6-8 then go to 95 or 100 if that makes sense.

The big thing is the time frame per session. I was able to wake up at 4 AM this morning and while I'm still pushing it a little bit I was able to get the full workout in. If I'm smart about it I should be able to get up at 4 AM instead of 3 AM every morning and get more sleep. Being smart about it is the key phrase though. Probably gonna start at 4 days a week so I'm only waking up super early twice a week and see how I feel. Then I can either adjust down to three days if I'm just not recovering or go up to five days if I feel like it's too easy.

Juggernut on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I haven't lifted much since June because I've been unemployed, moved states, and had CoVID-19 back in July/August in a way that fucked me up bad until just recently

But I'm finally re-employed, my body has stopped hating existing, and learned last week that I live real close to a gym that apparently has a really solid strongman program and now I'm like "what if I chase ALL the gains 🤔🤔🤔"

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm in a similar position of getting past sickness/my tooth and I'm finally back into it. I've recently past a couple of milestones and I'm starting to wonder if I should do 4 days a week instead of the 3 days (but usually 2) I do now. It's annoying though, as I love having a day in-between and weeks are odd. I could just do every second day I guess but then I lose that feeling of "today's Tuesday, that means I have to exercise!" Hmm.

Hypertrophy blocks are paying dividends in the strength block, at least for deadlifts. Doing sets of four, I PRed the top set and am manhandling my backoff sets. Not even breaking a sweat.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well i'm back at it after just a really shitty 3 months and it felt nice to just have a couple hours of calm and music. I told my app thing to onramp me back over 4 weeks. not sure if too long but last time i had a break i was way too aggressive about it and got knocked on my ass doing very light work.

idk, just feels good to do it again. the problem isn't the gym. the problem is working till 5.

Strength can come back pretty quickly if your recovery is in check, but whatever you’re comfortable with is best.

Been really trying to push myself with these shorter workouts and sometimes, like, today, I fuckin feel it. Then other days it's like, eh didn't really get anything out of it.

I feel more comfortable with the upper body stuff than the lower body stiff so I can mentally push harder. 2 drop sets of chest supported T-bar rows with maximum effort and I'm still feeling it two days later.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    2nd day back was my first deadlift back. Possibly should have eased back in a bit more, but we got it done and I learned a valuable lesson about time away from the gym lol.

Buttondown shirts are the devil but sometimes I need to wear one for my job so I was trying one on at a store and I had to do a fit check with my wife and when she was looking at my back she said "well it's pulling a little here (indicates between my shoulders) and it's tight here here (poking me in the lats) and you can't gain anything else here (waving around my shoulders and traps upper arms)" and seemed slightly confused when I was pleased as punch.

She doesn't really get strength training, the standard in her family was and is who can be the skinniest and that's how she measures "looking good" in her heart, but bless her for supporting my dumbass habit anyway.

This discussion has been closed.