As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Between the discussions here and in the Fallout thread, mentions of Wabbajack, and the special edition going on sale for $10 on Steam, I picked it up and installed Skyrim again. I think the Wabbajack lists are a bit overkill for me, but what are some recommended mods if I intend to do a magic user playthrough?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    You definitely want a perk tree overhaul, the vanilla stuff is mostly butts for magic. I know there's at least a few options, I am a fan of SPERG. Unfortunate name, but I like what it does. Past that, I am also a fan of a mod that flips the potion and enchanting buff effects, so that gear makes your magic stronger and potions make your magic less expensive.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’d probably look at Adamant/mysticism or Vokrii/odiin as a baseline vanilla plus perks and magic set (and the companion mods for those listed on the mods page).

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Ordinator allows you to have skeleton followers you assemble by collecting bones from fallen enemies, so it's clearly the best perk overhaul.

Pair that with Apocalypse (by the same author), which adds a ton of spells with new effects and you're pretty much set.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Okay, a couple semi-self promotion things real quick.

First off, JPSteel2 (COTN guy) released his next thing, Northern Roads:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/77530

It's being very well recieved, and is....very large in scope to say nothing else. In addition to that, there's already a patch hub.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/77386

I had literally nothing to do with either of these, but I feel good about their success because they're being worked on/made by friends of mine, and most of the beta testing/patch work happened on a discord server that I made so I feel a weird sort of pride because of that?

In other news, I have a very, VERY early peek at something I'm working on which there's still plenty of things wrong with this video, but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjexF-RRwU

....it works 911114783049277440.webp?size=96&quality=lossless

Wow the northern roads mod is awesome.

Also looks like means throwing out or patching most anything that touches the worldspace at all.

I’ll probably use it once a patch for a few things come out.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I'm not sure which of my 15 merged magic mods this is from, but I do know that my summon has his own summon:

6184AAFB73606E9D1C6848E936082AAECBAC388E

Which makes it the best mod.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy shit the new great cities winterhold with Jelidity’s cotn castle patch is the best thing ever.

Really one of those things screenshots don’t do justice to.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I'm not sure which of my 15 merged magic mods this is from, but I do know that my summon has his own summon:

Which makes it the best mod.

The Anniversary Edition character I'm playing is a Conjuration focused spellblade. Right now he has two Dead Thralls, one of which is a mage with conjuration that usually opens fights with a Frost Atranoch. My companion is currently Serana who frequently uses necromancy so there's usually an undead spider, undead bandit, or doubly undead draugr with her.

But wait, there's more!

My creature companion is Gogh, the goblin added in one of the Creation Club modules. I recruited him largely because he's the only creature companion that is marked Essential. His level is really low compared to some other creature followers, but being immortal helps a lot with that. What I didn't realize when I picked him up though is that the other thing that counteracts his low level compared to Rieklings or the man-eating dog is that his permanently equipped spear is an artifact that lets him summon Storm Atranochs. Confused the hell out of me the first time he did it.

Dungeons can get a bit tight with 8 bodies walking around but it is funny watching quest bosses get blitzed by so many attackers.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I know we kinda moved on from talking about other CRPGs but I do want to offer a recommendation for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous since it came up. I don't even particularly care about the Pathfinder system (I loved 4e) but it's a very enjoyable game. It definitely encourages a significant degree of system mastery on the harder difficulties, and even a year out from release there's still some jank going on, but it's a very fun game.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Hrm, is there a tutorial for placing buildings and making them work?

I miss the cotn winterhold buldings and would love to just stick the 3 uniques out by whistling mine or somewhere. Like maybe assign the mine foreman to the house and the other two could just be a generic inn and goods store.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Generally speaking, Darkfox's tutorials are a good go-to.

https://youtube.com/c/Darkfox127

For that SPECIFIC idea, path of least resistance is probably to install arthmoor's whistling mine: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1912-whistling-mine/ and then follow my guide: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/37651

Specifically the "combining city overhauls" part, step number 3 and on.

Unfortunately, using the arthmoor modification method would make it so you can't release it as I doubt he'd go for a patch like that - maybe on afk itself?

At the very least, it seems like a better sandbox than trying to start from scratch.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hrm, is there a tutorial for placing buildings and making them work?

I miss the cotn winterhold buldings and would love to just stick the 3 uniques out by whistling mine or somewhere. Like maybe assign the mine foreman to the house and the other two could just be a generic inn and goods store.

https://beyondskyrim.org/au

^ these guys have A LOT of info about modding and such

In other news, I should probably replay Morrowind sometime... anybody know what the current "best" / simplest package for getting "mostly vanilla but looks nicer and combat is less ass etc" thing is?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Generally speaking, Darkfox's tutorials are a good go-to.

https://youtube.com/c/Darkfox127

For that SPECIFIC idea, path of least resistance is probably to install arthmoor's whistling mine: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1912-whistling-mine/ and then follow my guide: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/37651

Specifically the "combining city overhauls" part, step number 3 and on.

Unfortunately, using the arthmoor modification method would make it so you can't release it as I doubt he'd go for a patch like that - maybe on afk itself?

At the very least, it seems like a better sandbox than trying to start from scratch.

Arthmoors is just houses, and the winterhold buildings are pretty huge so it may not fit very well.

I feel like the road from nightgate inn to whistling mine would be good to stick an inn and trade post on somewhere, thats a big slog in survival, I may play around with the construction kit some, though I’ve only done npcs in the past never building or landscapes.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I have just been made aware of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Astounding.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

Astounding.

I highly suggest checking out the rest of Young Scrolls catalogue, there are some very good tracks he's done from just cutting together clips of audio.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    So you know that early peek thing I posted last page?

It's got 50 locations. All locked behind different accomplishments.

....and also an SDK so people can make patches for mod locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKcHkz8-jO4

I.....might be kinda insane.

(it works)

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »

Astounding.

I highly suggest checking out the rest of Young Scrolls catalogue, there are some very good tracks he's done from just cutting together clips of audio.

He is seriously talented. His beats are sick and catchy, his technical ability to cut and mix dialogue from the games and string em together to rap is great, and lyrically his shit is amazing but also filled with lore-appropriate double entendres.

I never would have thought a dude what makes meme music about a videogame series would end up being one of my favorite artists, yet here we are.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So

Not getting TOO far into it, but I am working on a Morrowind related project, and I think I should proooobably replay Morrowind, as it's been a while.

Should I go for Open MW, or for a modded original? I'm looking for most of the actual quests, script, NPCs, etc to be vanilla, but not as muddy looking, less annoying combat, etc.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    If it were me, I'd go for Open MW just because of all of the visual improvements baked into it already.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    So

Not getting TOO far into it, but I am working on a Morrowind related project, and I think I should proooobably replay Morrowind, as it's been a while.

Should I go for Open MW, or for a modded original? I'm looking for most of the actual quests, script, NPCs, etc to be vanilla, but not as muddy looking, less annoying combat, etc.

OpenMW for sure, grab an upscaled texture pack and some of the bug fix mods (Project Atlas, Fix Those Bastard Rope Fences etc...) to smooth of some of the wonky performance then go nuts. Combat wise you could probably just cheat your stats up depending what you need FROM Morrowind.

https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla/

That link might help, the first ~7 are bug fix like, and I'd recommend grabbing Mod Organiser 2 and the MO2 to OpenMW utility that lets you set up a mod load order and zap it straight to OpenMW.

Or just go VR and vomit everywhere.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Or just go VR and vomit everywhere.

Really, that would improve the look of much of Vvardenfell.

• Options
    So just got my receipt for last month, which means I have had donation points turned on for exactly a year at this point.

For those curious about how much folks make, you can consider me on the high-ish end (you get payouts based off unique downloads, ie "download from a new username, per mod" which a) biases towards popular stuff, obviously, but b) also biases towards people who upload on a lot of pages. Given my collections are like...hundreds of plugins on one page, I don't get as much as I theoretically could, but I also get a ton of wabbajack traffic because it's a convenient one-stop shop. From comparisons with other folks, it seems "patch collections for popular mods" ends up a rather lucrative niche, but I'd assume is a decent tier below said popular mods), and I made ballpark 3900 bucks over the past year (payouts are 3 months after receipts, so technically it'd be that much from this February to next February).

Not a full-time job, but sure as hell ain't nothing, to the degree that I've hit the "well, guess I need to figure out how to pay taxes on this stuff" threshold.

I guess time to swing by block advisors to find out how to set that up.

• Options
    So just got my receipt for last month, which means I have had donation points turned on for exactly a year at this point.

For those curious about how much folks make, you can consider me on the high-ish end (you get payouts based off unique downloads, ie "download from a new username, per mod" which a) biases towards popular stuff, obviously, but b) also biases towards people who upload on a lot of pages. Given my collections are like...hundreds of plugins on one page, I don't get as much as I theoretically could, but I also get a ton of wabbajack traffic because it's a convenient one-stop shop. From comparisons with other folks, it seems "patch collections for popular mods" ends up a rather lucrative niche, but I'd assume is a decent tier below said popular mods), and I made ballpark 3900 bucks over the past year (payouts are 3 months after receipts, so technically it'd be that much from this February to next February).

Not a full-time job, but sure as hell ain't nothing, to the degree that I've hit the "well, guess I need to figure out how to pay taxes on this stuff" threshold.

That actually answers a question I had around a modder for STALKER Anomaly who refuses to package the mods up but instead built a downloader that just uses a manifest to download the files.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options

That actually answers a question I had around a modder for STALKER Anomaly who refuses to package the mods up but instead built a downloader that just uses a manifest to download the files.

Yeah, they explain the whole thing here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/modrewards#/faq
    At the end of every month, the money Nexus Mods has decided to donate into the Donation Points pool will be converted into its DP equivalent. For example, a total donation money pool of $10,000 is the equivalent of 10,000,000 DP.

A script will then sum up the total unique downloads that each file page has received in that month, from mod authors who have opted into this scheme, and divide the total available DP amount by the total unique download amount for that month.

For example, if the total donation money pool is $10,000 (which is 10,000,000 DP) and the total unique download count is 5,000,000 then that means each unique download would be worth 2 DP. Ergo, a mod author who receives 25,000 unique downloads that month will receive 50,000 DP, which is the equivalent of $50 to redeem in our storefront, share with other users or donate to charity.
    We use the mod page unique download counter.

If you're wondering what the difference is; if you upload a mod with one file, version 1.0, and this file receives 1,000 unique downloads, your mod page counter will also show as 1,000. If you then upload version 1.1 of your file, and 2,000 people download this file, 1,000 of which are the same users who already downloaded version 1.0 and then 1,000 new users, then version 1.0 will have 1,000 unique downloads, version 1.1 will have 2,000 unique downloads and the mod page unique download counter will also be 2,000 (not 3,000). This is because only 2,000 unique users have downloaded your mod.

We get a nice little breakdown thing every month.
    kltdoyn71b2a.png

So JK's Interiors Patch Collection got 16,693 unique users downloading it for the first time last month, which translates to ballpark 65 and a half bucks, but I split that page 4 ways from the primary contributors (at this point it's really MOSTLY two of us, but whatever), so I get around $16.50.

On the other end of the spectrum, the 2 people who downloaded Gold Sink last month netted me 7 tenths of a cent :V

So yeah - more pages nets you more than fewer pages. On the other hand, there were some 3DNPC patches on my JANQUEL page which folks pointed out they were useful but hard to search for if people didn't think to check my page, so I forked them onto their own page and technically got to double dip on those, since from nexus's analysis it's a "new" mod.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Is there a way to feed Mod Organizer 2 a list of mods and just have it download everything? I am looking at a list of 361 mods (https://modding-openmw.com/lists/total-overhaul/), and there has to be a better way than doing this manually.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Corsini wrote: »
    Is there a way to feed Mod Organizer 2 a list of mods and just have it download everything? I am looking at a list of 361 mods (https://modding-openmw.com/lists/total-overhaul/), and there has to be a better way than doing this manually.

There is not! or atleast I didn't find one and did it manually. It is absolutely the worst and having done that modlist it is NOT worth it imo. It's extremely finicky and a lot of the visuals end up clashing.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    You're never going to make Morrowind look great by modern standards, in my opinion. When I played it a few months ago, I mostly just used some quality of life mods.

• Options
    Corsini wrote: »

For that specific list, nothing I'm aware of, but there's two wabbajack lists:

http://www.wabbajack.org/gallery?selectedGame=Morrowind

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If Corsini is using OpenMW they probably shouldn't use those as they are for vanilla Morrowind. I know at very least that anything built to use MGXE ain't gonna work / be necessary.

• Options
  • Options
    As expected, about half of my harddrive is now comprised of various Wabbajack installs of things. It started with Fallout 3 + New Vegas modpack, which went to Librum in Skyrim, aaand now of course I finally had to add a Skyrim VR modpack in there.

I had to go stealth archer because the VR archery is fun, I have it set for sneaking to require physically crouching, and a mod for locational damage tossed in there too. I just cleared out Bleak Falls Barrow and my legs are very sore and I'm sweating a lot. It's a lot of fun!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Aaand of course the obligatory Morrowind Wabbajack install (look I have to get as much mileage out of this 1 month Nexus subscription as I can).

I went with You Are Just an N'Wah because you have to with that name -- not sure how much I plan on playing, but the install size is fairly small so I at least wanted to take some pretty screenshots.

You can never fully un-jank the character models and animations, but the environments can still look pretty fantastic with the right collection of mods. The draw distance on actors/objects is great too if you look closely:

wftepeheqx2t.jpg
    j88duao5bc57.jpg
    09tyudca1oxg.jpg
    huglpsd6kt8p.jpg

Honorable mention for this incredible animated title screen they added too:

8v1xl2gd6gb2.jpg

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I haven't revisited Morrowind in a long time, but I remember that at the time, the environment art just stunned me.

I remember taking a silt strider into Ald'ruhn for the first time, and there being a sandstorm in the area at that point. I was really blown away by the visual effect it had, how it really changed up the feel and mood from where I just came from. "I guess this is the sandstorm zone, gonna have to get used to navigating in the dust here."

I was double-blown away the next time I visited, and was greeted by clear skies. It wasnt the sandstorm zone, it was just a zone where sandstorms happened sometimes! I didn't know you could do that in a video game.

• Options
    Guessing I'll have Destination Weddings launched within the next couple days, but JPSteel2 has been taking screenshots for me (he's got a much better eye for this stuff), and GOD some of the places look so good with Mandoranga's daedric statue replacers.

20221110205635_1.jpg

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Did Oblivion GOTY ever hit console? I'm looking at the Xbox store and all I see is the base game.