As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Morrowind

191011121315»

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    While the main questline does have its moments most of its execution is just plain terrible. I only finished the game once, and it was when Oblivion was coming out- I probably logged hundreds of hours into it, but those were spent ignoring the main quest.
    I do have the urge to reinstall, but it's being kept at bay by memories of the terrible (terrible) travel system of inane retardedness. Die in a fire die die die.

The travel system being "walk everywhere"? :lol:

I can't imagine playing it on console without the....um....console.

Huh? I don't get your complaint or the complaint you quoted. There is a huge and pervasive network of quick-travel methods as shown in that map. The methods are varied enough to be interesting, but not so complicated as to be unusable. Add in Mark/Recall (I like to use the Vivec Mages Guild), and Divine/Almsivi Intervention and you can get almost anywhere really quickly. If you can't, it's probably because it's out in the wilderness and ought to feel remote anyhow.

I prefer this to Oblivion's version of fast travel because every trip has sort of a little story built in--you got there quick (which is important--I'm not one of the people who turns off Fast Travel in Oblivion), but you know how you got there. As opposed to "uh I guess I must have walked."

edit: 'course I do have all those spells, and my Birthsign is almost always the Steed, and on my most recent character I very quickly cooked up a 1pt Levitate for 90 seconds on Self spell (just 18 mana, IIRC!), so okay maybe it is a little more painful for other people. :P

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I love the Morrowind traveling system and kind of hate fast travel in Oblivion.

Yeah, me too. I found I ended up using the fast travel in Oblivion a lot and it kind of ruined the experience for me. I know it's my fault I used it but it doesn't change the fact that I didn't end up wandering around nearly as much as I did in Morrowind (which was a fucking lot).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, me too. I found I ended up using the fast travel in Oblivion a lot and it kind of ruined the experience for me. I know it's my fault I used it but it doesn't change the fact that I didn't end up wandering around nearly as much as I did in Morrowind (which was a fucking lot).
    Not that it mattered since Cyrodiil wasn't even half as fun to explore as Morrowind was.

Silpheed on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »

Not that it mattered since Cyrodiil wasn't even half as fun to explore as Morrowind was.

I think that this, right here, is the exact issue I'm facing between these two games right now.

Marty81 on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »

I think that this, right here, is the exact issue I'm facing between these two games right now.

It's so true. I got Morrowind for the Xbox right when it came out and played it all summer long for hours a day. I enjoyed Oblivion, but the world was bland and the characters generic. The world didn't feel lived in at all.

Then my 80 hour game save got erased and I never went back. That was depressing, because I had wanted to get the Shivering Isles.

Still a really good game, but Morrowind was just so much more immersive, even with little voice acting and the whack combat system.

Nimble Cat on
    edited February 2008
    I figured Lover's would be good because it gives +25 Agility which is good for a stealth stuff.

Yeah, but the overall effect of agility isn't much. Besides, the Lover only gives you 25 points, whereas the Lady gives you 50...25 in endurance and 25 in personality. Endurance is just flat-out awesome, and I've found that high personality and speechcraft (just train it up to 70 or so) are great things to have, regardless of how good of a thief you are.
    Also, I'm used to Oblivion where you have a hammer to repair and a lockpick to unlock. What are probes and repair tongs for?

Probes are for disarming traps. Repair tongs are just another type of repair hammer.
    And is there a way to change your chosen skills in the console?

dunno.

I think enableracemenu does it. Also face and, duh, race.

Shivering Isles is something I really want to play -- looks 100% less bland than Cyrodil. Alas, I feel certain that Oblivion is beyond my Macbook's powers. :(

Mahnmut on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    There is a huge and pervasive network of quick-travel methods as shown in that map. The methods are varied enough to be interesting, but not so complicated as to be unusable.
    And you don't see how having to remember travel nodes for 3+2 travel systems with none going to all locations could possibly annoy someone? Really?

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    There is a huge and pervasive network of quick-travel methods as shown in that map. The methods are varied enough to be interesting, but not so complicated as to be unusable.
    And you don't see how having to remember travel nodes for 3+2 travel systems with none going to all locations could possibly annoy someone? Really?

Speaking personally, between the All Silt Strider Ports, All Boat Ports, and Multimark mods, I've never been annoyed.

Marty81 on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Speaking personally, between the All Silt Strider Ports, All Boat Ports, and Multimark mods, I've never been annoyed.

Well, those were all the important locations, I mean what other place did you want to go do that you didn't find a way to travel to?

RoyceSraphim on
    edited February 2008

Even without those mods, it isn't something that requires much memory. The towns are arranged in clumps; go to a clump and check either the strider or the boat. If you want a coastal town, check the boat first.

If you're told to visit Tel Aruhn and not told that it's near Sadrith Mora, then sure, you have a problem; but you'd have a problem in Oblivion, too.

(once I spent 15 minutes hunting for Tel Aruhn. sadface)

edit: Actually I guess you wouldn't -- default Oblivion map is actually informative, isn't it? Still.

Mahnmut on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone with a fully working brain? No.

Are you seriously trying to argue that the difference between silt striders and boats is too much to remember? You might want to think that one through.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited February 2008
    I was annoyed because in order to go from A to D I had to use the boat to go from A to B, a silt strider to go from B to C and the fucking Mage's guild to go from C to D. It was irritating both because it required a decent knowledge of all three systems to use effectively (or constant map glancing) and because it meant I had to load a whole bunch of zones just to get to the quest that usually boiled down to "talk to person, get book". With many quests I spent more time running around/loading zones than I did actually achieving objectives.
    Now, maybe you fine ad homineming gentlemen enjoy playing SimTravel Scrolls, but I didn't.

Glal on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would agree that this game is more immersive than Oblivion, regardless of it's graphics or dialogue.

Something about it just made it a lot more fun (probably the exploring and finding cool things, and the non level based loot and creature system.)

Also my character was pretty crazy, I was like level 45 or so. Had a bunch of custom nuking spells and crazy run and jump to do flying sunder attacks.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So to eventually be able to Enchant your own stuff and make spells, do you have to go through the Mage Guild like in Oblivion?

If so, it seems quite a bit harder since there's actual stat and skill reqs, I'm worried my Thiefish character won't be able to get to that point

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited February 2008
    It works the same way as using sigil stones in Oblivion- just drop a soul gem on yourself and it'll open up the interface to either recharge or enchant an item. There's a pretty high failure rate though (it destroys the gem) as soon as you want higher enchants, even with high related skills. Using enchanters is expensive (I'm not sure you need to be in the guild to use them), but yields a 100% success rate.

Glal on
    edited February 2008
    It works the same way as using sigil stones in Oblivion- just drop a soul gem on yourself and it'll open up the interface to either recharge or enchant an item. There's a pretty high failure rate though (it destroys the gem) as soon as you want higher enchants, even with high related skills. Using enchanters is expensive (I'm not sure you need to be in the guild to use them), but yields a 100% success rate.

Quite right; and nope, you don't need to be in a guild to use 'em. They aren't only found in the Mage Guild, either: there's one in the Imperial Chapel at Ebonheart, for example.

I think another difference you should notice is that enchanted items will recharge pretty quickly on their own, so they don't need to be fed Soul Gems very often. However, feeding Petty Souls to a handy ring is I think a decent way to level Enchanting.

Also, you should go find the shrine of Azura and get her Star. Reusable Grand Soul Gem, just like in Oblivion. I don't know where the shrine is though. Look it up. :p

Mahnmut on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So to eventually be able to Enchant your own stuff and make spells, do you have to go through the Mage Guild like in Oblivion?

If so, it seems quite a bit harder since there's actual stat and skill reqs, I'm worried my Thiefish character won't be able to get to that point

There should be a person in each guild that you can create spells with and, as said before, you can enchant yourself as long as you have the proper skill and a soul gem.
    I believe it gives you a chance of success, so you can see if you want to risk your soul trying to enchant.

Nimble Cat on
    edited February 2008
    I would agree that this game is more immersive than Oblivion, regardless of it's graphics or dialogue.

Something about it just made it a lot more fun (probably the exploring and finding cool things, and the non level based loot and creature system.)

This might be part of it. Morrowind has a ton of good statically-placed loot, both in treasure chests and just lying out in the open, which makes it very rewarding to explore. On the other hand, there's very little that's both good and out in the open in Oblivion. Practically all loot in Oblivion is random and based on your level - why bother exploring the world if the treasure is exactly the same no matter where you go?

Marty81 on
    edited February 2008

This might be part of it. Morrowind has a ton of good statically-placed loot, both in treasure chests and just lying out in the open, which makes it very rewarding to explore. On the other hand, there's very little that's both good and out in the open in Oblivion. Practically all loot in Oblivion is random and based on your level - why bother exploring the world if the treasure is exactly the same no matter where you go?
    What made Morrowind such a fun place to explore was that it didn't feel a generic Tolkien fantasy world. The moment you exit the customs house you feel that it's a really alien place and I guess that just hit the right cord for me.

Silpheed on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, you know what sucks about Morrowind? Failing. Failing to cast a spell, failing to make a potion, failing to repair, etc. about a million times.

Anyone know of a mod out there that will either take failures out, or at least let failures still count towards leveling the skill?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited February 2008
    Man, you know what sucks about Morrowind? Failing. Failing to cast a spell, failing to make a potion, failing to repair, etc. about a million times.

Anyone know of a mod out there that will either take failures out, or at least let failures still count towards leveling the skill?

I always felt like the failure rate on Enchanting was waaaay too high, especially when you've got these flawless NPC enchanters just hanging out and selling their skills at very reasonable prices. Soul Gems don't grow on trees! Neither do Golden Saints! Why would I ever want to toss a combination of these things down the Maw of Infinite Failure?

Most of the other stuff struck me as fine. Most alchemical ingredients are available in such massive superfluity that even at a sub-skill-25 rate of failure I produce more than enough of the basic staples to keep myself supplied.

You're half right about repairs, though. The high rate of failure is fine as far as keeping your stuff in good condition goes, since you can click really really quickly and hammers are easy to find, but since Failure Doesn't Count, the skill does level up discouragingly slowly.

Spell failure is mostly balanced. If you fail frequently at max Fatigue (btw, hate that misnomer), it is basically because you are trying to cast Open Lock 100 as a novice Alteration...er. Alterationist? Alterer. Thing. :P

Mahnmut on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was always pretty boring about my enchantments. Get the standard constant levitating ring, then deck out all my daedric gear with strength bonuses. Which made combat even less interesting. Kind of dumb, looking back. Anybody have any fun alternatives? I guess you could deck speed out. Anything other than attribute boosting that's actually useful?

Tylerbroor on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I forget the method I used to do this, but basically I had one of the best soul gems. I killed Vivec, trapped his soul, then used it to power a health draining weapon. Preferably a short sword. I was then invincible. At least until my weapon ran out of charges.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    I was always pretty boring about my enchantments. Get the standard constant levitating ring, then deck out all my daedric gear with strength bonuses. Which made combat even less interesting. Kind of dumb, looking back. Anybody have any fun alternatives? I guess you could deck speed out. Anything other than attribute boosting that's actually useful?

Get the Dwemer Goggles from the eyeglasses mod. Enchant the ones that sit on top of your head with Feather or something, and give the ones that go over your eyes Night Eye. Name them "Dwemer Night Vision Goggles (On) and (Off)".

Dartboy on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedric tower sheild with +80 strength

My orc had 1100 carrying capacity and describing him as an unstoppable battle choo-choo is an understatement

The Black Hunter on
    edited February 2008
    I think Levitate is the most amusing mechanic in Morrowind. Sorry. :P But I'd say you're on the right track with Speed.

My current character is an Unarmored Blunt-Weapon (or H2H) Monk who never ever uses offensive magic or conjuration or illusion. He does use Soul Trap, and has agonies of guilt over it.
    He has really low HP -- almost nothing in Endurance so far. Also he has of course really low armor, and his Agility is only 63 (that's AFTER a fantastic quest ring). So on the whole he is way fragile. However he has high Willpower, which at least hypothetically helps with magicka resistance, and high Strength. So combat mostly works like this:

1) Levitation! Kynareth's Left Hand, a custom spell which grants 1pt Levitate on Self for 120 seconds. Only 18 magicka!
    2) Soothing Balm! Custom spell, regenerates 3HP for 30 seconds on self.
    3) Various buffs from items, and possibly my Breton Daily Power or maybe Vitality, which is a Fortify HP spell.
    4) Hit and Run! Or Fly! I can swoosh in and smash things and then float back up where they can't hurt me to nurse my wounds, then smash 'em again. This terrifies the poor buggers, and as a result they often waste time fleeing -- to no avail (this is cheesy and I take advantage of it less often then when I was low-level and struggling to survive).

This weekend I streamlined the process by adding some enchanted items that give me a total CE 4HP/sec and 5 Fatigue/sec. I still cast Levitate myself, because without proper armor I only have so many slots to enchant. This means I can run at full-speed (100-Speed, actually) whenever I'm not flying, and makes me way hard to kill unless I get trapped or one-rounded. On the whole it is oddly satisfying. Hammer goes BOP!

Mahnmut on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My orc need not run away

he merely beats things till they stop moving

The Black Hunter on
  • Captain ReadingCaptain Reading Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was wondering if there were any restore magicka spells out there, I know there are restore health and restore fatigue potions but what about magicka ?

Captain Reading on
  • falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    potions for majicka are frost salts combined with void salts, daedra hearts ( I think?), comberry, and those frozen berries in Solsteim...um...whatchacalit. Its in front of all the barrows.

There are no restore majicka scolls/spells. That would be redundant. In a pinch, you can use a major fortify majicka and it kinda boots what you have in total. But for a little while. Also, never ever ever use a fortify fatigue spell, forget about it and go running somewhere dangerous. Its bad. Don't do it.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's Absorb Magicka, which drains it from a target (different from Drain Magicka, which just temporarily removes points from the target without giving them to you). But otherwise no. Think about it, a spell to regain spellcasting?

Dartboy on
  • zhadumzhadum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think "Constant effect: Restore fatique" is the best enchant you can make. One high quality item with this enchantment makes it almost impossible to run out of fatique.

zhadum on
    edited February 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Think about it, a spell to regain spellcasting?

Oblivion has Restore Magicka as a spell effect. It's positively broken.

Marty81 on
    edited February 2008
    Black Hunter: Well yeah -- I wasn't advocating it as something terribly effective--just a setup that might be fun. Was in response to Tylerbroor. ;)
    potions for majicka are frost salts combined with void salts, daedra hearts ( I think?), comberry, and those frozen berries in Solsteim...um...whatchacalit. Its in front of all the barrows.

There are no restore majicka scolls/spells. That would be redundant. In a pinch, you can use a major fortify majicka and it kinda boots what you have in total. But for a little while. Also, never ever ever use a fortify fatigue spell, forget about it and go running somewhere dangerous. Its bad. Don't do it.
    Yeah, Daedra Hearts. Sometimes I eat them to bring back a few points in a pinch.

Restore Magicka is actually an option for Enchanting, too -- but I've never tried it. It might not work.

Speaking of things that wouldn't work: CE Divine Intervention... O_o

Mahnmut on
    edited February 2008
    If I were to reinstall Morrowind and want to spice up the graphics and the character models+clothes/armours, what mods should I go for in that case?

Silpheed on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Better Bodies, Better Beasts, Better Heads. I never thought the armor looked bad the way the people did, but I'm sure there're mods for that, too. Check Planet Elder Scrolls.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Best.Game.Ever

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Best.Game.Ever

I have been meaning to replay Morrowind for so long.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aaaaaaaaaand heeeeeere we go again. Mod requests in 3.....2......

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    as well you should, ordering it off amazon, £2.99

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jesus h christ this thread is a year old where did you even find it to post in

Captain K on
This discussion has been closed.