As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly, after seeing the final evos of the starters, I'm a bit torn between the cat and the chili.

I won't lie, I love the shit out of Fuecoco's final evo. I heard people were hating on it and I flat out don't get it. It was *almost* enough to get me to switch from Sprigatito but her final evo is pretty great too.

Yea I like Fuecoco's final, its rad and honestly the best of their forms imo.

DemonStacey on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    fuecoco has kirby character energy

he's a poyo boyo, I choose him

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I hope there is a patch pretty early on to fix performance. Pretty much universally from people who had retailers break street date they say there are fps issues, menus load slow, and combat speed is also really slow.

Also, competitive is going to be kind of crazy when hidden abilities drop and there are 3 pokemon with libero/protean that can all have any attack type with terrastalize.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I hope there is a patch pretty early on to fix performance. Pretty much universally from people who had retailers break street date they say there are fps issues, menus load slow, and combat speed is also really slow.

Also, competitive is going to be kind of crazy when hidden abilities drop and there are 3 pokemon with libero/protean that can all have any attack type with terrastalize.

About that
    Leak spoilers
    Battle tower items including things like the ability patch are now buyable with cash and 7 star raid rewards. Points are given out pretty freely for almost anything because you need them to make tms and such

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am very happy about that above spoiler.

That sounds so much nicer to actually interact with. In the past I would plan to get that stuff and then realize it was way too boring and never actually dive into it.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I still haven't picked a starter yet. Kind of waiting to see what my family is doing, because it will be my 6 year old's first Pokemon game. To say he is excited in an understatement.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Been playing Pokemon Infinite Fusion while I wait.

May god forgive me:
    Gp8PjIw.png

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Here we go

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Help there are too many pokemon in the starting areas. I will never progress at this rate

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    at work desperately hoping to get home before 9 pacific so I can catch some pocket monsters

odds are not in my favor but maybe it’ll happen

Kizmitt wrote: »
    Help there are too many pokemon in the starting areas. I will never progress at this rate
    "Welcome to the first gym! Wait...why are you level 40?"

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »

I haven't even got to school and I've caught 24.

Damn. Couldn't get my national dex done before midnight.

Only 34 left to go.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    this sure is a pokemon game so far.

it is definitely... a little jank, visually, with stuttering and pop-ins, but it basically functions, if a bit slowly.

delightful assortment of pokemon in the starting area, i already have to make real decisions about who makes the core of my early party, it's wild.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm going into this one basically blind save for the official trailers, so I hope to be surprised by some of the new Pokémon. And also some the returning Pokémon.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I didn't work to avoid spoilers, because I strongly do not care about spoilers, but also didn't specifically go looking for them save for looking up what the starters evolved into.

So I know, like, a couple things, but mostly I'm pretty blind, overall. Ended up going with the cat, and already caught myself a Fidough and named it Sanallite in honor of my favorite Vtuber. Let's see where this goes from here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So besides the box legendaries, are the version exclusives just old pokemon and new forms of old pokemon?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This game is hilariously jank. Just forcing me to walk until I enter a new zone where suddenly I can run.

The game opens with character creation. No preamble, no intro to the world, no title screen: just straight to character creation. This game must be bewildering to newbies, lol.

YL9WnCY.png
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So besides the box legendaries, are the version exclusives just old pokemon and new forms of old pokemon?
    Rockman
    The megamen evolution items are exclusive. Armarouge and Ceruledge.

And some old pokemon. And Paradox formes, as you said

But the main difference is which legendary you get to ride and the color of your uniform.
    Everything else you can trade for or even multiplayer into someone's world for

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    My son started playing at 11pm (central) last night. His first Pokemon game. He went with Quaxly. I've been helping him read and yeah, the graphics issues are readily apparent. One time in the early part of the game he flat out got stuck for a few minutes (as in, his character would not move). Another time it seemed like the screen was broken but it was just the camera glitching out inside a house.

Great start, GameFreak....

Also TMs are single-use only again? Didn't they used to be usable multiple times in the last few games? Ugh, it's always one step forward two steps back with this franchise.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yup, so they can implement a dumb crafting system, because...open world?

Would have made more sense to craft clothing or pokeball parts for different colors/shapes/effects when a pokemon comes out, but no: let's remove a quality of life feature.

YL9WnCY.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    That's a strange thing, because PLA had an open world-ish thing, and a crafting system, but it also had probably the best version of learning new moves in the series. WIth every move a pokemon has learned being available to swap in and out, and just having a dude who can teach a pokemon additional moves at any time. I haven't played *too* far into PLA, but it feels really nice to just see "new move learned" and be able to swap it in for a while to see if you like it.

I don't have my copy yet, but did they go back to requiring you to learn moves on the spot/talk to a dedicated move relearner to get back old moves?

Enlong on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I don't think there is much to fix here. The crafting tms thing is easy. The use for them is limited even in competitive play so /shrug.

The little additions are lovely.
    Edit:there are loads sorry but they are not that bad

The menus popping over the world. No load there either.

The added textures to the characters and players.
    This follows with their focus on close up since they went "3d".

The wild Pokemon gathering by you. Typing this up have a bunch of guys around me chirping at me.

The variety of Pokemon early. I have a group full of new Pokemon or new variations.

Edit: oh and no auto battles so far too!

And the load in and fps drop don't seem THAT bad... But it is not something I particularly care about if the game is good and this is a good Pokemon so far. I like the story just fine. One of the top ones I think at least so far.

Jubal77 on
    That's fair. It's just kinda odd to see them experimenting with the TM system, when it feels like they had it down back in Sun and Moon, with infinite-use TMs.

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they had some one use TMs again back in Sword/Shield, mostly for the 'competitive' moves, like Earthquake. It at least seems easier to get multiples in Scarlet/Violet with the crafting system.

I was just saying the use for them was limited traditionally.

edited November 2022
    Well yeah, that is true. It just seems odd to keep trying to fix it when they had (in my opinion) the best version of the mechanic in Sun and Moon.

But then, they can't stop tinkering with stuff, it seems. I'm sorta surprised that regional variants have remained a consistent feature in the series, for example.

Enlong on
    edited November 2022
    The game does have very obvious jank I do agree. While I kind of love going into random houses is gone it does seem to lessen the world I guess. Also the camera is jankiest when going to doors that don't open heh. Shop load in I would say is worse than game load in. And the fps drop in distance is, of course, still a thing and you notice it in the city a lot. For me these aren't all that big of a deal.

I would say the game performs much better than sword and shield. And this game is much more "open world" comparatively.

Jubal77 on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Sterica wrote: »
    This game is hilariously jank. Just forcing me to walk until I enter a new zone where suddenly I can run.

The game opens with character creation. No preamble, no intro to the world, no title screen: just straight to character creation. This game must be bewildering to newbies, lol.

The first patch is gonna be massive at this rate.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Kotaku's got an article on the glitches in this game that is just dripping with vitriol, but is it really that bad?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I was really excited but my amazon order got delayed, so I'm tempted to switch to digital but all the reports of performance issues are bumming me out. Still good anyway? The reddit for pokemon is dire but I can't tell if that's overblown or it really is a mess.

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Kotaku's got an article on the glitches in this game that is just dripping with vitriol, but is it really that bad?

Kotaku's opinions tend to be either 'best thing ever!' or 'worse than the devil himself, and you are bad for liking it!' with not much subtlety or anything in between. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

That said, there definitely are performance issues from what little I've seen (just from brief clips. Haven't had a chance to fire up the game yet myself). Whether they are enough to prevent enjoyment will depend on the player. I figure, much like Arceus, for me the issues will be noticeable, but tolerable, but your millage may vary. To me Arceus was a game that, even if it had been at N64 level graphics and performance, it was still fundamentally a good game, and I suspect this one will be similar.

Cururu on
    edited November 2022
    I can see now why performance became a bigger factor in reviews than it was in SWSH and Legends. Its so much more noticeable/in your face here. Less than three hours in the game and it feels technically rough to say the least. Oof.

Its still fun though. Going to be a lot of compliment sandwhiching going on once I get further in I imagine as I start to see more of the ups and downs.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited November 2022
    Got to get those clicks in today's age. I think the games performance is better than the prior 3d offerings so far. Good thing about today's age is the general availability of vids to watch and make up your own mind. Probably staying away from review types and such.

Jubal77 on
    edited November 2022
    I'm not going to pretend the game performs spectacularly, but honestly, outside of the way that animations go into "faraway distance frame saving mode" when people are ten meters away, which does look really rough, I'm really not finding anything that strikes me as much noteworthy for the couple hours I've played. This ain't the XY Omega-level slowdowns or anything.

Drascin on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The funny thing about dividing the games into two separate versions and then associating the separate versions with different arbitrary symbols is it causes people to plant their flags in whichever game's symbol most appeals to them, regardless of the other features of the game itself. I strongly suspect that, say, Pokemon Red outsold Pokemon Blue, simply because, even if you add cannons to the turtle, a turtle simply doesn't have the cachet of a fire-breathing dragon. I don't know how it shook out for other versions, but I feel like there's probably a similar lopsidedness to the sales of the individual versions, even on something as simple as the individual color if the box legendaries aren't sufficiently distinct (as in Black and White).

All this to say that I set out on my trip to the local Target fully intending to buy a copy of Pokemon Scarlet, but with the idea in the back of my head that I needed to be prepared for the eventuality that they might only have copies of Violet. And it's a good thing I did, because Pokemon Scarlet was fucking obliterated. Like, multiple empty shelves labeled "Pokemon Scarlet" level of destroyed. "Here's where we'd put our copies of Pokemon Scarlet... IF WE HAD ANY!!!" type out of stock. (Within three hours of the store opening.) And right below that? Absolutely full stock of Pokemon Violet. Dozens upon dozens of boxes with that poor electric motorbike dragon pleading to be picked up. So, as is my usual trend, I'm in team "blue version". Let me know if y'all ever need a Violet version exclusive.

... caveman waifu stronk.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    The funny thing about dividing the games into two separate versions and then associating the separate versions with different arbitrary symbols is it causes people to plant their flags in whichever game's symbol most appeals to them, regardless of the other features of the game itself. I strongly suspect that, say, Pokemon Red outsold Pokemon Blue, simply because, even if you add cannons to the turtle, a turtle simply doesn't have the cachet of a fire-breathing dragon. I don't know how it shook out for other versions, but I feel like there's probably a similar lopsidedness to the sales of the individual versions, even on something as simple as the individual color if the box legendaries aren't sufficiently distinct (as in Black and White).

All this to say that I set out on my trip to the local Target fully intending to buy a copy of Pokemon Scarlet, but with the idea in the back of my head that I needed to be prepared for the eventuality that they might only have copies of Violet. And it's a good thing I did, because Pokemon Scarlet was fucking obliterated. Like, multiple empty shelves labeled "Pokemon Scarlet" level of destroyed. "Here's where we'd put our copies of Pokemon Scarlet... IF WE HAD ANY!!!" type out of stock. (Within three hours of the store opening.) And right below that? Absolutely full stock of Pokemon Violet. Dozens upon dozens of boxes with that poor electric motorbike dragon pleading to be picked up. So, as is my usual trend, I'm in team "blue version". Let me know if y'all ever need a Violet version exclusive.

... caveman waifu stronk.

I can't deal with the "wheel" on Scarlet's legend and then it's just galloping arounnd.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I mostly just got Scarlet because my sister wanted Violet.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I can understand how “fire dragon” could appeal more than “water turtle with some cannons” (even though Blastoise is totally cooler) but I’m struggling on how this applies to Scarlet/Violet

Both Legendaries are dragon lizard things, just one is like prehistoric feather bike and one is sci-fi electric rocket, what makes Scarlet so much more appealing?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL