As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Satisfactory] FPS Factorio

13»

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You can always buy the game twice and just copy the save files.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    You can always buy the game twice and just copy the save files.

No. The problem is that the save was there. Now its not. Im not sure what happened to it.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Sucks about your save, but it's kind of the nature of the beast with it being in early access. Gotta go in with the expectation that everything can break and you may have to start from scratch at any point.

Anyways, 5 GB update, so I guess goodbye life again for a while.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Update 3 is on the Early Access version now. AFAIK saves should carry over from experimental, but you should probably back them up first just in case.

I believe it's the exact same version as the final experimental update that went live yesterday, so I don't think there should be any issues with save compatibility.

If you haven't played since prior to update 3, so much has changed with recipes, balance, and fluids means that any power plants you have setup will work without major major changes, and any factories probably won't be remotely balanced, if they work at all. And since so many of the alternate recipes changed, and it doesn't seem to have been a 1:1 change (i.e. an old alternate wasn't just changed to a new one in all cases, if you had researched them before), added to there being a hard limit on hard drives, and how it takes the vast majority in Update 3 to unlock all the alts....

Long story short, you are probably better off not attempting to salvage a pre-Update 3 save. You can if you want! Just. Don't get your hopes up.

And, as myself and many others have learned, don't build bases that rely on terrain and areas that are clearly works in progress, because you're bound to have a bad day when the devs get to it.

If you're starting a new save, the Dunes are a nice way to have relatively unhindered access for resources up to Tier 6 or so, but as soon as you need oil (and to a lesser degree, water), you're in for a headache if you hope to maintain a "main" base, as there is no oil in the region, and the method many people seem to have used to access the oil from the northern coast, takes them over an area that is incomplete and the devs have warned that many peoples pipelines will be screwed up if that is the way they did it. You're better off bringing the oil down through the canyon and not over the mesa that is very clearly incomplete (and don't rely on using the "lake" up there for water either, for similar reasons). Also, at the same time you start needing oil, you need bauxite, and like oil, there arent any nodes anywhere nearby. The Northern Forest is probably the best starting place, still, for resource access, as you can get pretty much everything from there, without having to go too far. The grasslands, despite being labeled as the "easy" starting area, is a trap. It has obnoxious terrain, loads of fart rocks that can't be moved/destroyed, and like the dunes the nearest oil is annoying far away, without the benefit of loads of pure nodes for other resources, or relatively clear terrain; ditto with bauxite, I think both are further away than they would be from the Dunes. The Desert starting area is probably right behind the Forest as the "best" starting position. It isn't as resource rich as the Dunes, but when you arrive at higher tiers, you have ready access to great sources of those resources; it just takes a bit longer to get to.

So, I'd say, if you want a single massive main base, and don't want to do it as a floating sky factory, go Dunes, but be prepared for the oil hell. If you want access to everything and are happy with having your production be in smaller, separate locations (or you prefer it, there is a lot of debate that boils mainly down to preference, as to whether or not it's better to bring everything to a main factory, or process resources where you mine them, and only bring in the results for higher tier stuff at a main factory) and would rather be able to access all the resources in a smaller location and don't want/need to sprawl across the entire island, go Desert or Forest (forest requires more work clearing areas for your factory, unless you don't care about trees and stuff clipping through your foundations, and has less wide open areas), and if you just hate yourself, go with the grasslands.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I've got two major works plans worked out right now that I'm not sure which to start.

One is an insane goal that serves no purpose other than to do it, to completely maximize to their fullest, the three Uranium nodes on the map, for Nuclear power. And if I did my math right, and I'm pretty sure I did, I can support 471 Nuclear Power plants at 100% efficiency (I didn't bother looking at overclock requirements; if it's just 2.5x for both the fuel units and water intake, it'd mean 188 plants, but it wouldn't really change any of the other production requirements, just reduce the space needed for the plants, and hold up a lot of the power cells that I'd generally prefer to use on miners. Anyway, the long story short is it would produce 1,177,500 MW power, which is about 40x the amount of power needed to basically use every node in the game fully. It would put my 18,750 MW (250 plants) Coal array to shame. I haven't even moved on to fuel power, as I don't really have any need for it atm.

The other is a goal to produce every non basic item (i.e. no ingots, raw materials, etc) via a single 100% with as maximum efficiency as possible, meaning one massive factory, and not separate factories for different items, and see how it turns out. I've already got the basic requirements and flow of the system, I just have to actually design and implement it all in a way that is clean and concise as possible. If I get it set up in a way I like, and isn't pure hell, I'd consider reproducing it as necessary, for shits. This one I thought I'd pump everything to an "inventory" room, where I can access everything as it comes out, should I need it at any point. And fortunately, as big of a scale as this sounds, the raw material requirements aren't terrible, and I already meet most of them, and can get the remainder with little effort from what I already have. But if I doubled it, I could have one complete system going directly into the resource sink, without limiting resources I have access too.

So I'm probably going to do the latter, and afterward if I'm still feeling masochistic, I might do the Nuclear thing. Or maybe I'll actually try Trains in between?

Also I have to do whatever I setup with the expectation that whatever Tier 8 ends up being, I need space to implement it. I will have some buildings that will be underclocked, so I'll have some wiggle room to directly getting to higher tier stuff without needing much, if any, additional base infrastructure for it.

Regardless, it will require me to basically delete my base right now. Which, whatever. I've maxed the 3 industrial containers I gave each one, and they're all using base recipes, so it's all horribly inefficient anyway.

I've just got to figure out a decent setup for a resource room. I've seen some neat ones, but they're not taking into account 50 different resources, and that line gets loooooong (actually 46, but I'm going to allow for 50 for whatever, in case i forgot something, or in case I decide I do actually need to access condensed carbon outside of a factory system :rotate: )

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Been trying to hold off for final but man these posts are strongly tempting.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Spent hours looking for coal. I finally found some on top of a mesa but that area was buggy as hell so I only placed beacons for future updates.

Then, after all that work, it turns it I have a pure node of coal 200 meters from my main base.

Blaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh

• Options
    Good news.

I have restored my coal power plants. I have routed out the pipe for the oil production I had going, and the power site has 2 more fuel generators to max* out the oil used in the power generation.

Bad News.

The numbers have changed, I have no idea if my Heavy Metal Frame & Computer factory are properly functioning again, but the changes to the plastic production guarantees that the CP factory needs some work.
    I was properly screwed in the coal plant. The old consumption rate allowed me to run 24 coal plants with the 120 compacted coal I was producing. However, the current setup is now only producing 100 compacted coal, and the new consumption rates only support 14 coal plants. Going to have to overclock here to get that system up and running again, but I have no idea if it will be able to do 24 again,

Need to run out and get the other oil spots producing, as all 120 cubic meters I have is going towards fuel generator consumption. Do I need the other 240m^3 that I can get from the islands? probably not yet, but I'd like to build it now so I can just tap right in if I need to later.

At a loss for what to do next. I was in the middle of making another HMF production line.

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    I lover this game, but restarting after update 3 reminded me just how much it sucks to not be able to automate power. Game is so much better once you hit Coal and don't have to farm biomass...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I stumbled across that video a couple days ago

I now have a crippling addiction

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I started playing this again due to similar video links. And despite the fact I'm not up to Futurama tubes yet. But I do like the pipelines. They took a little bit to get used to with the buffers and pumps. And it's still a bit weird knowing where my pump head is. None of my friends seem interested in playing the co-op. But that does let me attempt to build a ridiculously compact factory out in a sand dune. Until I realized just now I built it on impure iron.

My pipeline is glorious though.
    gCGkMWG.png

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So 10% off the Epic store with their $10 coupon brought this down to $16. I was waiting for this big of a discount because while it looked fun, I wasn't sold yet.

Well, I should have bought it earlier. Played for 6 hours, forgot to eat, and still thinking about it.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I'd say definitely worth it (especially since the relatively recent update). Especially since they don't really have a roadmap, but development continues. Apparently there's not much of a true endgame yet (but there is the Awesome Store), but I haven't run out of goals yet (even though my tier is still behind where it was the first time I played).

I'm also willing to offer my co-op services where I spend far too much time constructing factory floors and bridges and trying to string together buildings in a compact space.

• Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Got this game about a month ago and have been playing it far too much. Put in over 100 hours on my current run. Just did a test on 'How High Can I Go?' in this game and didn't find out the answer but I did find out how high I care to go. Image spoilered below. As you can see the world turned into a featureless void. I used the Space Elevator as a point of reference and you can see that if you go high enough it becomes a sinister looking black obelisk reaching into and emerging from nothingness. So I built a small observation platform up there and decided to time how long it would take me to fall back to the ground. Remarkably it was exactly 30 seconds of free fall.
    2y3x563dmffu.jpg

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I can't believe this thread isn't hopping what with Update 4 coming out.

Ziplines are so good, they're so good. They make traversal so much easier, and they encourage you to place power poles everywhere so it's easier to hook up remote miners. Definitely my favorite new addition so far, though we've only just gotten to steel production on this run.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm... holding off until mainline. Got bit last time spending a lot of time in experimental and then throwing all my progress out when it hits prod.

Which is fine because Valheim exists.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm actually on info blackout until it gets to the main branch, because we have a relatively new factory sitting at just below nuclear and prepped for rail travel, and I don't wanna start over + also don't want to copy my save over to an experimental version install.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Got this game about a month ago and have been playing it far too much. Put in over 100 hours on my current run. Just did a test on 'How High Can I Go?' in this game and didn't find out the answer but I did find out how high I care to go. Image spoilered below. As you can see the world turned into a featureless void. I used the Space Elevator as a point of reference and you can see that if you go high enough it becomes a sinister looking black obelisk reaching into and emerging from nothingness. So I built a small observation platform up there and decided to time how long it would take me to fall back to the ground. Remarkably it was exactly 30 seconds of free fall.
    2y3x563dmffu.jpg

If you really want to see how high you can go, stand on the transport rocket on your hub while someone else sends a package to space.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I can't believe this thread isn't hopping what with Update 4 coming out.

Ziplines are so good, they're so good. They make traversal so much easier, and they encourage you to place power poles everywhere so it's easier to hook up remote miners. Definitely my favorite new addition so far, though we've only just gotten to steel production on this run.

Most of the discussion seems to be in the SE++ thread.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Update 4 is officially live on Early Access.

Ziplines are fucking amazing, that is all.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I've got a friend telling me that turbofuel production got moved to the blender... but I am not seeing this change noted anywhere. Before I load my save... can anyone confirm this?

-edit-

Looks like there is a new alternate recipe for it. Also, the Diluted fuel recipe is in the Blender now.

Quick and Dirty math shows turbofuel made via the blender nets you about a third less fuel than the refinery recipe. It eliminates coal from the equation entirely though, needing just Crude Oil and Sulfur. So that coal can get repurposed to steel production or something.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And now I start taking everything apart and rebuild it again. Nothing I have built was designed with lighting in mind. And the whole liquids thing, too.

I'm probably also going to expand my train network and delete some problematic stretches and add liquids to it (they were added last patch but I never added it to my train).

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Finally picked this up yesterday. Having a lot of fun, but the constant running out of power is really dulling my enjoyment. I've researched Coal Power and found a Rich vein but I'm having trouble finding an obvious water source.

EDIT: Coal is now running! ...But I accidentally my Tractor into the lake. Is there any way to rescue it, or is it stuck there forever as a monument to my derpiness?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    been a minute since I satisfactoried and never used vehicles much besides, can they be disassembled, or is it too far in to reach with the tool.
    As for coal power, yeah that's a fun one to get set up if your vein isn't near water.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Oooh, I hadn't considered bridging over and deconstructing it.

Also getting started with Steel. Getting that coal back home shouldn't be a big issue anymore now that my Rotor and Reinforced Plates factories aren't reliant on biomass fuel.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Oooh, I hadn't considered bridging over and deconstructing it.

Also getting started with Steel. Getting that coal back home shouldn't be a big issue anymore now that my Rotor and Reinforced Plates factories aren't reliant on biomass fuel.

As soon as you break into T5/T6, Get trains running. They're a godsend for moving stuff around emase.

(We also talk about this game a fair bit in the SE++ thread, and there's lots of fun info over there)

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    been a minute since I satisfactoried and never used vehicles much besides, can they be disassembled, or is it too far in to reach with the tool.
    As for coal power, yeah that's a fun one to get set up if your vein isn't near water.

You can disassemble vehicles

• Options
    Rise! Rise from your grave!

While our SE thread is still active,this one's been dead. Currently the devs are looking to launch the next big update this june - Which comes with a big rework of the spire coast area, and a minor rework of the swamp. It's also adjusting how overclocking works (With the current plan i belive being that power-building overclocking will stay the same, but other buildings will become linear - if you overclock them to 250%, they'll make 250% more stuff and cost 250% more power. a net buff for overclocking and building smaller bases!), and adding more equipment slots so you can have all your bits equipped.

• Options
    Reposting from SE++

Hey all.

I don't want to mess with my save until I get a yay/nay for tier 9, and I don't want to start a new one.. by myself at least. Would you guys be interested in a PA forum Satisfactory Dedicated Server that I would leave up and people could pop into and build on when they felt like it? I had one running before but only had a couple people interested in it.

• Options
    Okay, dedicated server is up. If anyone is interested please send me a PM. It's a Rocky Desert start for now, and that area will be a free for all until we get better transit at which point we'll spread out into our various own little kingdoms. I have the server set to stop when nobody is connected so we don't waste biofuel but once coal power is available I can turn it on and we'll be able to farm the shit out of mats. :biggrin:

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tried to boot this up for some solo play the other day, saw my half rebuilt factory, but didn't have the heart to start over. The one thing that I've found exhausting is the multi-hour cost of teardown and rebuild when I choose to do that.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Tried to boot this up for some solo play the other day, saw my half rebuilt factory, but didn't have the heart to start over. The one thing that I've found exhausting is the multi-hour cost of teardown and rebuild when I choose to do that.

You can throw your save into the Satisfactory Calculator (https://satisfactory-calculator.com/ ), highlight everything you want to get rid of, and either outright delete it, or have all the mats get put into a single super-crate.

• Options
    I will say that if your factory is rather large, you should do that in bits, because you can easily lock up your browser if you're trying to fiddle with a couple hundred thousand objects.

I wanted to change all my foundations to concrete but realized too late that it wasn't a skin, but an actual different recipe, so I didn't through the calculator and it...struggled. :lol:

• Options
    So, Blueprints are coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBQyjy-a6g

It's maybe not as extensive as some people were hoping, but it sounds pretty versatile and even with the limitations should help a ton with some of the tedium of resetting up stuff for every new product, every new tier. You won't be able to just blueprint a whole factory, but components that are super repetitive should be good. I'm actually surprised they did this, I had just accepted that it never was going to happen.

It's not going to replace like the blueprint tools online where people can share their stuff, but I still think it'll help a lot!

• Options
    Watching the video all the way through, it looks like the blueprints you make should be fairly easy to share, and it's nice that they're kept locally to use on any playthrough so you don't have to redo them every time.

Also some current buildings just straight up don't fit in the boundaries. Some (he mentioned coal power in the video) they're looking at altering to make work, but others I don't expect them to. The goal doesn't seem to be to make a blueprint for literally everything, but to do the super repetitive stuff. So maybe you can't fit in a bunch of refineries, but you can set up the spider webs of inputs and outputs to run between them, so when you're doing a few hundred fuel power plants, yeah, you'll still need to place the plants, but all the pipes and belts should be less overwhelming.

I'll be curious at what point you unlock the blueprint maker. I could see it being later in the tiers, but at the same time things get pretty tedious early on with even things like modular frames, so earlier would be good to get players using the function before super late.

Apparently there's some community concerns that this will result in people losing creativity in their builds, but I think that's kind of silly. It's rarely the minutiae of how you have your manifolds set up for parts of a component production line that makes it interesting, but how you lay out your overall factories that brings uniqueness to them. You can't blueprint the logistics of getting resources across the map, whether you have modular factories littered everywhere with a central hub, or if you're a mega factory person. Plus, blueprints of massively larger scale have already been available and accessable via websites anyway, and they're pretty simple to implement. In fact, the last two playthroughs I've done, I went ahead and put on preconstructed geothermal power systems in our of the gate because early game power is super tedious after you've done it a few times, and the geothermal system is already limited to an exact cap and locations that don't ever change, and the nodes only serve that singular function anyway.

In fact, I'd say the geothermal part of the game could use some rethinking to begin with. It's one of the least complex, isolated, and uninteresting parts of the whole game and doesn't really fit in with any of the other systems that by and large are pretty intertwined with everything else.

But, experimental should be up today, if it isn't already, so we should be getting even more info.

• Options
    The Designer is Tier 4, if anyone was wondering.

• Options
    Nice that it's so low. Gets it at a good time right when things start to become complex.

I'd give experimental a go, but apparently it's super extra spicy level of buggy this time and nah. :lol: