As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the week - 2/13/2008 - Kirkman!

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm just tickled by novelty of it, is all.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Punisher support group was worth a lol I guess.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The Zero Hour stuff was by far the least interesting part

Yeah, it seemed pretty random and minor in the larger scope of the issue, but still awesome.

Furu on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anti-moment of the week: fill in art on New Avengers.

I mean, hurrrrrrrrrrrgh

I also got the impression that the last panel of the issue was supposed to be a visual hint to future plots, but failed on account of the artist being a goddamn reprobate.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I mean, hurrrrrrrrrrrgh

I also got the impression that the last panel of the issue was supposed to be a visual hint to future plots, but failed on account of the artist being a goddamn reprobate.

i... i don't know what to say

Diablo Fett on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I mean, hurrrrrrrrrrrgh

i... i don't know what to say

Pretty much every expression looked wrong, half the characters looked like they had downs syndrome, the colouring was inconsistent and at times just weak... I don't know what there is to defend. To be honest, it looked like an issue at the inking/colouring stage rather than with the lineart itself, something I should have clarified.

But seriously:
    hurrtv3.jpg
    hurrrrrrr

Bob The Monkey on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Kill it with fire.

The Punisher MAX: Force of Nature one-shot was pretty good, as was the Nova annual.
    I'm not really in love with ASM the last month or so. The writing just feels off, lately.

Me Too! on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, was the colorist the same one as in Alias? Because it was obviously supposed to be the same style (which is also being used in DD), but there was something off about it.

Fencingsax on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really liked the Walking Dead :D Pretty awesome.

Re: Salvation Run (did anyone read this?)-
    Did Gorilla Grodd die? D: Also, that was crazy when he killed Brain

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mustnotreadwalkingdeadspoilersmustnotreadwalkingdeadspoilersjesusjesusjesusjesus

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, was the colorist the same one as in Alias? Because it was obviously supposed to be the same style (which is also being used in DD), but there was something off about it.
    It's a different colorist. Trying to capture the same style, but failing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No one reads American Virgin? The final issue came out yesterday. It was goooood.

Sharp101 on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    mustnotreadwalkingdeadspoilersmustnotreadwalkingdeadspoilersjesusjesusjesusjesus

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I like reading TWD in trades but damn it's hard not to peek at some of this stuff.

DMAC on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I picked up Fantastic Four #554 in hopes of something different, and the first few pages reminded me of why I don't like the FF.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I mean, hurrrrrrrrrrrgh

I agree with you totally. I didn't mind the colors so much, but Jesus, there were two facial expressions in the whole book: "no emotion" and "slight befuddlement". That part where Jessica Jones is on the phone with Cage, right? At the end of the conversation, when the text is bolded and slanted, which to me implies that it's being said with volume and force? Her face was blank.

Delduwath on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    NA was a piece of horse shit

Walking Dead all the way
    Fuck. Right. Off.

Please don't quote people on my ignore list

smokmnky on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I just read Walking Dead and jesus god I do not know what to say. I feel like the shell of a person right now.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Tiny Titans is aces. It's more like Mini-Marvels than it is a kids' book.

I mean, that's awesome for me but it doesn't make sense as to why they made it a Johnny DC title.

Garlic Bread on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I enjoyed Tiny Titans. Cute lil' Plasmus with his ice cream situation.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All of Salvation Run for me. I just really like this book.

Mr Pink on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    Is anyone else reading Simon Dark?

I can't figure out if he's supposed to be white or black

there's a scene in #5 where his mask is punched off and he looks like a white goth kid (with longer hair that's green and purple) but in the next panel he's black with a short hair cut

Garlic Bread on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    if you buy ultimates 3 you are what is wrong with comics

Man, go to hell.

He is 100% right. you buy shit like Ultimates3 you deserve awful comics.

and YOU are what is wrong with comic fans... thus, the circle of life is complete.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    No one reads American Virgin?

That would be why the final issue came out yesterday!

Furu on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Tiny Titans is aces. It's more like Mini-Marvels than it is a kids' book.

I mean, that's awesome for me but it doesn't make sense as to why they made it a Johnny DC title.

Hah, I picked that up too. Got a good laugh, and it reminded me of that Marvel short with the Hulk and the Warbound. The one with the Haiku.

Vann Diras on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Booster Gold
    1) Ted Kord attacking Extant, a Crisis-level villain, with a flashlight gun.

2) Seeing Ted show such willingness to face death again, if it means Booster gets to save his sister.

Atomic Robo
    [talking about an enormous set of doors] "Okay seriously? Those are end boss doors."

X-Factor
    1) Rictor's all-too-brief ass-kicking spree.

2) Jamie walking into a mob of anti-mutant extremists alone, and then kicking their asses.

Fantastic Comics aka The Next Issue Project
    The whole damn thing was awesome. Kind of like the Grindhouse of comic books, this comic's all about taking old Golden Age comics and embracing them, not trying to update them and make them cool and relevant. That kind of stuff's cool, but it's already being done in Project Superpowers and The Twelve. No, in Fantastic Comics you get nine stand-alone stories, printed on oversized, textured pages, complete with replicated printing flaws and goofy mock advertisements. Most of the stories have the artists and writers replicating the Golden Age style of comics, with many tiny panels per page, and exposition-filled captions like in Jim Rugg's Captain Kidd, or Tom Scioli's Space Smith, while others are done in a bit more of a modern style, while still retaining the characters' innate Golden Age silliness, as in Andy Kuhn's Yank Wilson story. Some are a bit of a mash-up of styles, like Erik Larsen's Samson tale, which looks like something from an old Marvel monster comic, or the Stardust the Superwizard story illustrated by Mike Allred, where Allred updated the old character models, but retained the artistic flaws of Fletcher Hanks, Stardust's creator.

All in all, it's an incredibly fun book. Don't let the high price tag scare you away. For 64 pages at $5.99, you're actually getting a better deal than you would on a standard 22 page, $2.99 comic.

Munch on
    edited February 2008
    I'll have to pick up Next Issue Project when I go back for the Nova annual. Your description is intriguing.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No one reads American Virgin? The final issue came out yesterday. It was goooood.

I read it. I'm not really sure what happened beyond the broad strokes, since it was pretty confusing.

Felt kind of rushed too, but then I guess that's exactly what it was, trying to get it wrapped up somehow before cancellation.

For a book that promised, and I quote "to do for sex what Preacher did for violence", well, yeah.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

Unknown at the moment, though unlikely with the way it happened.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

Man, go to hell.

and YOU are what is wrong with comic fans... thus, the circle of life is complete.

i don't buy Loeb comics and variant covers, so apparently I'm what is right with comics

Algertman on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

Man, go to hell.

i don't buy Loeb comics and variant covers, so apparently I'm what is right with comics

I;m talking about condemning people for liking comics you don't.

I mean, if everyone followed YOUR advice there wouldn't be any comics... just shelves and shelves of sadness.

Regardless... my moment of the week has to be Punisher War Journal...

Showing the aftermath of issue four, and once again having a story with almost no action be fully and completely engrossing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I mean, hurrrrrrrrrrrgh

It's not fill-in art, Gaydos was the artist for that issue because it was about Cage and Jessica.

Gaydos was also the artist on Bendis' Alias series, which was the series were thier relationship started.

It's an amazing book that you clearly haven't read and the art is great.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I read Alias and loved the art there. It fit the style and tone perfectly. It clearly didn't work for whatever reason on this issue, at least in my opinion. Ares looks like he's going to eat the baby in one scene. I think it's the inker or colouring, but anyway I try to look at it, it's bad. The opening pages with Luke going to the Alias office looked great in comparison to the rest of the issue though.

KVW on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's the coloring, I think. It worked for me, because I am a giant Alias whore, but the coloring was a bit off.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited February 2008
    I don't think you'd hear as many complaints if the contents of the second annual had been issue #38, and the Cage-Jessica story had been in the annual. Why that is, I don't know.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    because the annual story was more than 22 pages and takes place beforehand?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

wait

that was it?

I am so disappointed.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guess more people should have read it.

Crimsondude on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »

I hope Mallah & Brain are okay. They are two of the best villains in the DCU.

Lux on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »

I hope Mallah & Brain are okay. They are two of the best villains in the DCU.

And by best villains, you mean cutest couple.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited February 2008
    The real Mallah & the Brain are safely hidden on Earth somewhere. Those were clones!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg