As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited December 2022 in Social Entropy++
Personally I'm betting on the lettuce.

Whippy on

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story 169 votes

Twitter
4%
Kevin CristHouk the NamebringerBloodsheedAzraithqwer12Thegreatcowmaraji 7 votes
A head of lettuce
41%
A duck!Munkus BeaverButlermatthias00MKRminor incidentInquisitorJasconiusEmperorSethAlistair HuttonMegaMan001Lindsay Lohan-SPI-CantidoRear Admiral ChocoTomantaSirToastyTheySlashThemReynoldsvalhalla130 70 votes
Elon Musk's financial solvency
22%
The GeekInvisibleInkBionicPenguinKadithJavencaptainkastrobstrdUndead ScottsmanDouglasDangersarukunsilence1186ShadowfireTrenogOneAngryPossumOlivawKetBraLabelBurtletoyRhesus PositiveBucketman 38 votes
Britain's current PM, whoever that is
31%
SporkAndrewLegacyschussMulysaSemproniusPreacherZeroCowSanderJKKane Red RobeDoodmannHoA-playerSonelanElendilT-boltZekOkamikriegsTNTrooperMetzger MeisterGrey GhostCurly_Brace 54 votes

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean the real answer is the billionares money, but man my heart wanted lettuce to win.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    “You cannot run Twitter without this team” says tweet about said team resigning

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    voting with my heart and not my head, all in on the lettuce baby

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Twitter
    Re: the tweet about closing offices - it's pretty funny they're doing this out of fear of sabotage considering no other employee could sabotage Twitter as much as he already has and will continue to do

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Entire teams quitting is how you know you fucked up

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    While Rishi Sunak has inherited a dicey political situation which there are no good responses to in his ideological wheelhouse, he probably won't upend the Tories before he's required to hold an election in January 2025, so I think Twitter will look very different by then.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Holy shit locking out your entire staff because you can’t trust them, because they haven’t shown you absolute deference is some wild shit. I have a like contact paranoia high right now.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Re: the tweet about closing offices - it's pretty funny they're doing this out of fear of sabotage considering no other employee could sabotage Twitter as much as he already has and will continue to do

Yeah like they just trapped the sabotager in the building.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i broadly think twitter will last longer than most people do, but it sure is going to have some impressive downtime over the coming months

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Recent departures have left multiple critical systems down to two, one or even zero engineers, according to a former employee who was familiar with the situation and spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of retaliation.

“I know of six critical systems (like ‘serving tweets’ levels of critical) which no longer have any engineers," the former employee said. "There is no longer even a skeleton crew manning the system. It will continue to coast until it runs into something, and then it will stop.”
    Resignations and departures were already taking a toll on Twitter’s service, employees said. “Breakages are already happening slowly and accumulating,” one said. “If you want to export your tweets, do it now.”

Hate speech and other abuse was also likely to spike, employees said. Most of Twitter’s Trust and Safety team, consisting of up to 40 people, was expected to resign.
    Twitter employees: Twitter is fucked

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Elon's a billionaire

You and I have no idea how much money that is, and how much it would take to actually reduce him to the level of merely someone with nine hundred million dollars

But doing a "fun" little thought experiment: based on the net worth I can get for him by googling (a fake number I am sure but purely for the sake of argument) he could lose one million dollars every single day, and at that rate it would take 544 years for him to lose all his money. And this assumes he is not still using his money to make more money even through the most conservative investments possible, which would likely still outpace this loss, or at least forestall it by another century or so

If Twitter died tomorrow and he wrote the whole thing off, he would lose (based on that fake google number) about one quarter of his wealth

That's still three quarters left! Plenty to fuck around and find out with

Maybe he can buy Yahoo next

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "There was once a great city here," the elder solemnly posts. "Before the end of all things. The ancients called it Twi-t'ter, and it was a place of signs and wonders."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    hsqk047wtzw3.jpeg

“Hey, where’s this Musk?!”

“I am Elon Musk, sir, and I am prepared to make a full report. These users are consummate trolls, they use their clout to cause social strife; people think they’re not woke enough, and they listen to these bozos who conveniently deliver hot takes with fake electronic bots!”

“Everything was fine with our system until our infrastructure was shut off by Can’t-post over here.”

“They impersonate celebrities and brands!”

“Is this true?”

“Yes, it’s true. This man can not post.”

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Quit.hoodie_mock_2.png?v=1636133034&width=1100

Found the top holiday gift for Twitter folks

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Everything about this, every post it just continues to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45x9ranFH0

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Elon's a billionaire

You and I have no idea how much money that is, and how much it would take to actually reduce him to the level of merely someone with nine hundred million dollars

But doing a "fun" little thought experiment: based on the net worth I can get for him by googling (a fake number I am sure but purely for the sake of argument) he could lose one million dollars every single day, and at that rate it would take 544 years for him to lose all his money. And this assumes he is not still using his money to make more money even through the most conservative investments possible, which would likely still outpace this loss, or at least forestall it by another century or so

If Twitter died tomorrow and he wrote the whole thing off, he would lose (based on that fake google number) about one quarter of his wealth

That's still three quarters left! Plenty to fuck around and find out with

Maybe he can buy Yahoo next

But most of that isn't hard assets, though, right? I thought it was mostly Tesla stock. Ford is crowing about how EVs cost 40% less labor to make, they're going to eat all that right up.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kissinger will bury us all.

• Options
    Did you know that when HMHS Britannic was sinking, the signal to abandon ship was two long blasts on the whistBWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce

The sabotage is coming from inside the house!

• Options

*shits pants*
    *people point and laugh*
    haha, all attention is good!

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Kissinger will bury us all.

I am fucking sad that we will likely be unable to tweet through his death

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Couscous wrote: »

*shits pants*
    *people point and laugh*

Elon Musk wrote:
    The media constantly writing about Twitter is driving usage to all-time highs, so it’s fine by me!
    dril wrote:
    "im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    like basically, i reckon there is a website twitter dot com this time next year. the question in my mind is how bad the outages are. if it just goes down for a few hours even daily, it survives. that's enough that people will keep checking in and piddling along. if the outages last long enough to regularly break those habits, that's when it starts beefing it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

*shits pants*
    *people point and laugh*

Elon Musk wrote:
    The media constantly writing about Twitter is driving usage to all-time highs, so it’s fine by me!
    dril wrote:
    "im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

"i truly believe that i will usher in a new era of peace and prosperity when i get every single post on hthis fucking website deleted by 2022"

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Yeah, like, Twitter will likely exist for decades. Like, it’s not hard to keep a low traffic website on life support forever.

The real question is “Will Twitter cease to be one of the big sites of the internet?” And right now I am thinking, yeah, it probably goes the way of MySpace and Digg and Yahoo where they still exist but they are not the global internet touchstone they once were (but may still have some specific regions where they have a footprint).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's been 3 weeks.

THREE WEEKS!

• Options
    MySpace is Byzantium under the early Palaiologos dynasty. A massive and traumatic contraction from its staggering heights, but mostly stable for now.

Twitter is Byzantium if Phocas ruled for 50 years.

• Options
    A head of lettuce
    Please let that be true and please let that person let them whither on the vine.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Elon Musk frantically searching StackOverflow right now

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Alexandier wrote: »
    Please let that be true and please let that person let them whither on the vine.

If he gets a six figure contractor bung out of it I wouldn't begrudge him.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Sure there will be a twitter.com in the future, least into next year. Usually, you get a husk for many sites that implode or finally wither, but will there be anything there other than a single page with some error message or stating the site is defunct?

• Options
    Musk wrote:
    How do you make a small fortune in social media?

Start out with a large one.
    I believe he can reach unheard of levels of not mad

• Options
    A head of lettuce
    I mean, if you're going to cash out to secure your family's future sure. But if they wont grantee that, hey, /em keithdavid welcome to hell finding out mother fuckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHA

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    alas, I'm hearing "alex cohen" is a parody account.
    (hard to tell, there are so many these days, all with those lovely blue checks.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

*shits pants*
    *people point and laugh*

oh zoom got it already, thanks cmdr.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    honestly i've always preferred this one

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Is dril a parody account how am I supposed to tell?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    no dril is the only one that's real

also dasharez0ne

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.