As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Did Oblivion GOTY ever hit console? I'm looking at the Xbox store and all I see is the base game.

Yes. It's probably the goty version if you get it off the store? I know if you put the original vanilla Morrowind disc in an Xbox One it downloads the goty version with the expansions.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Starting up a new Skyrim playthrough. Head out to join the Companions, and got a radiant quest to clear out Dimhollow Crypt.

But... wait, hang on, Dimhollow Crypt is the dungeon that starts the Dawnguard questline. You can't enter that before starting Dawnguard. I know. I've checked. Both the entrance and the exit are blocked off. So now I need to start the Dawnguard quest if I want to continue with the Companions. And that's assuming the game's not gonna freak out about these two different quests happening in the same dungeon. And I'm not even at the level I need to be to start Dawnguard in the fist place.

Ah, Skyrim.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck yeah, a new version of Tamriel Rebuilt just released. . At this point the mod has well over twice the content the base game + expansions does, and they (slowly) keep on keeping on.

https://youtu.be/an_vUUs3iXg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Vanilla(ish) Morrowind Playthrough Thoughts:

* this game is still very good damn it
    * the mishmash of physics + skill checks is still really weird and funny. I think there's a certain distance after which the game stops bothering to check your Marksmanship skill and just checks the projectile arc, which means that at a certain distance I can arc-shot snipe most open world mobs no problem, but the second they get within 30 ft or so I'm like MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS
    * even if you go for a Crusader-y class (I named it Paladin & swapped out a couple skills) you WILL need sneak. There is no way around it if you don't want to piss massive amounts of people off (I don't, especially since this playthrough is for me to review dialog)
    * Open MW is a huge pita to mod because there's no automatic tools like ModOrganizer yet, you gotta do that shit by hand.
    * oh god I have too many quests in my journal and the journal is not particularly well organized /internal screaming

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    You can use Mod Organizer with OpenMW. You just need to download an add-on or something. I definitely did it about 6 months ago.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Now if only there was a Skyrim Special Edition Mod That Actually Supports Widescreen Monitors instead of the ones that just cause the game to crash immediately.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Thought I'd take a crack at updating to 1.6.6~ along with the mods.

I'd been following wiki on the status of the updates. Unfortunately while checking the main body, I neglected to see that Dynamic Animation Replacer, a framework for...dynamic animations...wasn't listed on the tables but had its own mention in the preface. DAR may become this update cycle's Net Framework unfortunately. I'm glad I had the foresight to back up everything (the entire installation directory, and even MO2 for good measure) and just drop everything back on top after re-disabling the updates on Steam.

It's an eleven year old game; it wouldn't be much of a disappointment if I never updated it again. Starfield is an entirely new can of worms, never mind the next Elder Scrolls game.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, DAR is kinda the last remaining major piece.

I think I heard talk someone was trying to reverse engineer it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, DAR is kinda the last remaining major piece.

I think I heard talk someone was trying to reverse engineer it.

For a couple months now. It may still happen (we've had outside replacements for FNIS, Immersive First Person, etc.), but for frameworks...I can't remember the last time an abandoned (seems an apt term here) mod serving as a community framework was actually taken over by another person successfully. There's probably a case out there somewhere. Guess we'll see.

• Options
    My understanding is the DAR author is slowly working on updating it.

• Options
    My understanding is the DAR author is slowly working on updating it.

DAR has updated, btw.

And most recently Custom Skills Framework.

I think we're down to grass cache being the only thing left.

In other news, here's a video showcasing a DLSS-supporting ENB.

https://youtu.be/crmRvXjev6M

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    I booted up Morrowind from Game Pass and decided I at least need widescreen.

I started looking at current best methods to get a widescreen MW with maybe a graphics boost and got kind of bogged down. Would you guys go with OpenMW and a couple choice OMW specific mods, or vanilla with Wabbajack, assuming it still works?

I'm not looking for an overhaul, just enough --- widescreen and maybe a resolution boost --- so my giant TV isn't completely wasted on it. I'd be connecting my laptop through an HDMI cable and using an XSX controller through Bluetooth.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Justice wrote: »

I started looking at current best methods to get a widescreen MW with maybe a graphics boost and got kind of bogged down. Would you guys go with OpenMW and a couple choice OMW specific mods, or vanilla with Wabbajack, assuming it still works?

I'm not looking for an overhaul, just enough --- widescreen and maybe a resolution boost --- so my giant TV isn't completely wasted on it. I'd be connecting my laptop through an HDMI cable and using an XSX controller through Bluetooth.

I did wabbajack recently and it worked great! I went with the You Are Just an N'Wah pack. It definitely leans overhaul though, and last I checked requires the steam version of Morrowind.

I turned some of the stuff off but it's largely really good and that was mostly personal preference. I posted some screenshots of it a page or so back -- I thought it looked really good!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Justice wrote: »

tbh if you're just looking for widescreen and a resolution boost, and *maybe* a few graphical fidelity mods, I'd go with OpenMW. It has (iirc?) native widescreen compatibility. For mods, I'd go for this modlist here: https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla/ . which is basically just gentle graphics tweaks & a few QoL things (plants auto harvesting for instance)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    @Justice Controller support for both vanilla and OpenMW is bad. I don't think vanilla supports it at all. OpenMW supports it fine for moving around the game world, but navigating the pc menus with a joystick is a tiresome nightmare. Implementing proper console menus for OpenMW has been an open issue for several years and none of the developers seem interested and/or able to make it happen. Just warning you before you get started.

• Options
    Ahhh good point --- I didn't even think of that. Whelp, maybe Game Pass is the way to go after all.

• Options
    Apparently I got very drunk the other day and did the Morrowind FG/TG quests in the wrong order for Eydis to live, but I also apparently didn't give a damn (I don't give a damn about her sober either, I just like avoiding murder when it's possible). Also, I can't spell Eydis.

92mr3nyg8tjo.png

• Options
    Your save names are way more descriptive than my "A", "B", etc.

• Options

Yeah, I usually just name mine "Darmak1", "Darmak2", and "Darmak3" and then cycle through them, starting with whichever save is currently the oldest.

Lucid's way seems way cooler and more fun

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I usually just name mine "Darmak1", "Darmak2", and "Darmak3" and then cycle through them, starting with whichever save is currently the oldest.

I am kind of shocked you don’t name them “darmak in balmora when the ambelic was stolen” or “darmak in Vivec when he impersonated the ordinators”

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Apparently I got very drunk the other day and did the Morrowind FG/TG quests in the wrong order for Eydis to live, but I also apparently didn't give a damn (I don't give a damn about her sober either, I just like avoiding murder when it's possible). Also, I can't spell Eydis.

92mr3nyg8tjo.png

oh jfc I thought this was the Diablo thread and was so confused I literally started to shake

• Options
    I just started a new Morrowind game for the first time in 12 years.

Jesus fuck does your character walk slowly.

I'm a khajit, so I can't wear any of the speed boots (including bound boots, which I think is wrong), so I'm using the hop toad spell a little bit and training athletics. Sort of wish I'd chosen The Steed, but since I'm trying a khajit mage, The Apprentice seems kind of vital.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    IIRC there are mods that make that more reasonable.

Although be warned if you do either take steed/max athletics or use a mod the world is going to feel a lot smaller.

• Options

part of it is that I have fairly severe memory problems, so naming them this way helps me remember wtf I was even doing at the time. also it's fun.

• Options

part of it is that I have fairly severe memory problems, so naming them this way helps me remember wtf I was even doing at the time. also it's fun.

I wonder if there's a mod that has a journal item you can take notes in? Not that I would remember to take notes...

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    IIRC there are mods that make that more reasonable.

Although be warned if you do either take steed/max athletics or use a mod the world is going to feel a lot smaller.

I'd love some mods, but since there's no proper controller-UI mod, I went with the console GOTY version. I only play PC games on my laptop on the couch. Self-inflicted wound, but I like to be around my wife in the evenings, and anyhow by the end of the day I already spent way too long at the computer desk.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Reposting from steam thread by request (we were talking about the civil war in skyrim:

[in response to the empire giving aid and appeasing the thalmor]

I mean, Ulfric had no problem taking the Thalmor’s money and aid either. Sure he thought he was playing them for fools, but a civil war and independent skyrim just makes it a lot less likely a real resistance will crop up to the Thalmors plans.

There’s only one real way to go on the civil war:
    Go imperial and crush Ulfric and the Stormcloaks. Then do the Dark Brotherhood questline and murder the Emperor.

Then at the end of the game the stormcloaks are crushed, the empire is leaderless, and there just happens to be this dragonborn guy that defeated the dragons, saved Solstheim, defeated the vampire menace, etc and is a landholder in every city in skyrim?

Seems pretty primed to follow in Talos’ footsteps.

I mean honestly when you look at it, it’s a new era, and there are a few things in morrowind and oblivion that hint that something like that is the intended path.
    First of all when you meet Talos in disguise in morrowind. He goes on about how he’s a tired old man who doesn’t have the strength to go with you to fight Dagoth Ur, but gives you his blessing in the form of an imperial coin. (You don’t know it is Talos at this point). But he also talks about how the empire is old too, how it’s had a good run but it’s time for new things to come about even if it is messy, and the Nevarine’s quest is part of that.

Second, in Oblivion, the whole Shivering Isles story is that you are there to repel an invasion by the greymarch, but the whole thing is really a trick to get you to replace Sheogorath. Sheogorath was originally a god that was punished to be the Madgod by the other gods. Since it a new era, Sheogorath recognizes that it is an opportunity to escape and trick some other sap into taking his place. So the player does that, and Sheogorath fucks off to retire.

So, we have seen that Talos at least considers himself weak and tired. We have also seen that around the beginning of a new era crazy things can happen with the gods.

So all the sudden a new Dragonborn pops up at a time the empire is weak and Talos worship is banned?

It seems to me there is a good chance Talos is trying to pull the same trick Sheogorath did. He knows the empire is weak and old can’t survive as is and will fall one way other the other but by having the fall take place on his terms he can make sure someone is there to make a new empire and carry on. The Thalmor are just the Greymarch equivalent, they believe in what they are doing and that they are playing the empire and stormcloaks but ultimately are getting played themselves.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    And I mean the Dragonborn Museum is in Solitude, so going Imperial is just TONS more convenient.

>_> <_<

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I am kind of shocked you don’t name them “darmak in balmora when the ambelic was stolen” or “darmak in Vivec when he impersonated the ordinators”

Please we all know it's Caldera where the alembic is stolen.

And the calcinator.

And the mortar and pestle.

And the retort.

and 20,000 tonnes of crude oil

and a fire..

and the part of the ship that the front fell off.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Decided to do another playthrough of Skyrim to get all the cheevos.

Something that always cracks me is by the end of the game I'm sure I've promised my immortal soul to like 20 different people and I'm just like "I'll let them sort it out."

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Decided to do another playthrough of Skyrim to get all the cheevos.

Something that always cracks me is by the end of the game I'm sure I've promised my immortal soul to like 20 different people and I'm just like "I'll let them sort it out."

It is a bit of a downside to having totally separate writing teams handling different faction quests.

But the canonical ending to Daggerfall is that the Agent handed the keys to Numidium to seven different people/powers so I'm sure Nocturnal, Sithis, Hircine, etc. can all deal with the Last Dragonborn's soul somehow.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's a very Constantine ending.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Once they figure out who gets ownership of the soul, they can come and try to take it from my maxed-out ultra-warrior with broken weapons and armor and backed by every public, private, and secret organization in Skyrim because I run/own/enslaved all of them.

My bet is that I'm walking away with plenty of topped-off Grand Soul Gems.

• Options
    Once they figure out who gets ownership of the soul, they can come and try to take it from my maxed-out ultra-warrior with broken weapons and armor and backed by every public, private, and secret organization in Skyrim because I run/own/enslaved all of them.

My bet is that I'm walking away with plenty of topped-off Grand Soul Gems.

"Alright lets go get the Dragonborn's soul!"
    "Well I looked into it and he, um, he found out about the alchemy/enchanting trick."
    "Well, shit."

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Been playing some Daggerfall recently. Only the second serious time diving into DF Unity since its first major release and only my third time really getting into it since I first played it in 1998.

Whipped up a dunmer custom character, rolling with axes, some magical skill, and some miscellaneous stuff like lockpicking and Running and speech skills. A kind of jack of all trades in a way.

About ten hours in I realized I fucked up pretty hard by forbidding plate armor; I forgot that all the extra materials like Elven and Adamantium are all considered plate and not material types applied to different base armor.

Thank goodness Daggerfall Unity's character data is saved in easily edited plaintext.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Just make an item that gives you +15 to one of your magic skills and then you have 5 cost magic spells once you’re capped.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I need to do more Mages Guild quests to unlock item making. It's what I'm working on now but it's a bit of a slog compared to how many Fighters Guild quests I can crank out in a day.

I don't understand how the Open spell works in Daggerfall but I guess it doesn't matter now since I just got the Skeleton Key from the "early artifact quest" that one of these quest mods threw in. Managed to snag an Adamantium greataxe so I could hurt the ancient lich that had the item.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Skeleton key will run out is my understanding. ALL items that have charges will eventually run out of charge. (I don’t know how many charges or if it’s possible to recharge items but my understanding is that it’s not)

Open spell works the same as all other magic. It’s magicka cost is base * (115-skill)/115 and it has a probability to succeed is equal to the listed probability plus the listed probability per level (which refers to character level). So 5% + 5%/level would be 50% at level 9 and 100% at level 19

wbBv3fj.png