As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Word For A Review w/o A "Score"

ED!ED! Registered User regular
Probably a really stupid question for the writers out there (and the Help section in general), but I'm at a loss in my Google search. I am basically looking for the word to describe the philosophy surrounding a "review" or "grade" for something that doesn't have an "order" to it. As an example: Eurogamer doesn't give out review "scores" but instead tasks you with judging the value of a game based on the content of the review itself (and not a summary score); IGN and Gamespot are obviously on the other end of that. What is the word you would use to describe Eurogamers approach to game reviews? Preferably one word. I'm certain I've heard this word used before (likely in relation to school grades) but just can't summon it from memory.

. . .or I made it up like when I dreamed about Krispy Kreme doughnuts filled with melted sour gummy bears and spent a morning trying to find them on UberEats.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Evaluation and assessment both have connotations of a ranking/ordering to them. Review is probably the most neutral term with respect to ordering, but common usage includes the ranking (sometimes).

If I had to use a word, then review would probably be what I use.

You can also add adjectives to the start, so an 'experiential review' could be something that might work, but that's wordy and confusing for many people.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Sorry, I think my original message is a bit unclear. Thinking on it a bit more I am looking for something along the lines of the difference between a "qualitative" and "quantitative" review. To go back to the game review example, I'm looking for the concept that describes a process of reviewing something where a quantitative score isn't appended to the review, the idea being that assigning a "score" lowers the nuance of the whole of the written review.

To give more context, we are reviewing products under a number of metrics, and instead of saying Product X score successfully on Y out of Z metrics, we want to approach the whole of something where a "score" (Y out of Z for this example) might detract from that meaning. I want a word that describes that philosophy to the review/scoring process.

. . .if this doesn't make sense, that's fine, as I'm not entirely sure it makes sense to me.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I've seen the words "holistic critique" or "holistic review" bandied about on some sites.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I've seen the words "holistic critique" or "holistic review" bandied about on some sites.

Rock me Amadeus, I think that does it. I was thinking "holistic" but was seeing all this stuff related to medicine and figured there was a word for non-medicine. Googling "holistic review" is exactly what I want to convey.

Thanks.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Qualitative vs quantitative can be another way to approach it

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Criteria or Rubric?

Criteria: a principle or standard by which something may be judged or decided.

Rubric: Rubric commonly refers to a set of guidelines or a protocol for how something will or should be done, like how an assignment will be graded.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    "Review" doesn't imply a score or a ranking in my opinion.
    Just a qualitative good or bad.

discrider on
  • Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Qualitative vs quantitative can be another way to approach it

I went with "We will take a holistic approach to measuring equity, etc. etc." which everyone seemed to understand (which helped get folks to agree with this review approach). But "qualitative" would have worked as well I think.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, was a real brain stumper.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I mean Eurogamer are doing reviews in the traditional way of threatre critics. You give a review and it's up to the reader to decide if they want to see it without necessarily comparing it to other shows that aren't specifically mentioned.

If you were to rate films, then that's definitely implying a score, but review doesn't.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    What about critique?