As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Gotta say, this has a lot of cool new pokemon in it

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I am very hyped that there's an evolution for
    Dunsparce

as it's very much deserved, and my faith for adding it to my party as soon as I caught one will be rewarded.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the Tauros in the new Pokemon game are increasingly entering Zubat tier for me in that every time I see them on screen it's because they're doing something obnoxious

I've had a couple trainer battles where Tauros start showing up in the background and waiting to ruin my day once the battle ends

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yes, Paldean Tauros are assholes. They will not only charge you while you're trying to read your menus, if you get into a fight with a different pokemon they will straight up patiently wait in the sidelines so they can resume charging you the instant you're out of the combat engine.

In other news, god damn it why are all the new pokemon rad. I have a policy of only using new pokemon to beat every game, to force me to know the new guys, and normally that limits my choice quite reasonably, but here it feels like every other pokemon I meet I want to put in the team and I only have six slots!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The normal gym leader is an all-timer

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yes, Paldean Tauros are assholes. They will not only charge you while you're trying to read your menus, if you get into a fight with a different pokemon they will straight up patiently wait in the sidelines so they can resume charging you the instant you're out of the combat engine.

In other news, god damn it why are all the new pokemon rad. I have a policy of only using new pokemon to beat every game, to force me to know the new guys, and normally that limits my choice quite reasonably, but here it feels like every other pokemon I meet I want to put in the team and I only have six slots!

I'm solving this problem by aggressively rotating every slot except my starter's reserved seat for context-appropriate nearby monsters. Right now I'm headed for the Dark-type Team Star camp, so I'm filling up on Fighting and Fairy types and dealing with whatever I encounter on the way with those. It's keeping me closer to the level curve than I normally am.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My first full odds shiny in the wild was Gible. Despite the jokes about Garchomp's shiny being so similar to its regular form, Gible in a pack of Gible stood out well enough for me to grab it (inside a cave, even).

About to go take on the Pokemon League.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    My first full odds shiny in the wild was Gible. Despite the jokes about Garchomp's shiny being so similar to its regular form, Gible in a pack of Gible stood out well enough for me to grab it (inside a cave, even).

About to go take on the Pokemon League.

the big thing here is that Gible goes from dull blue with a red belly to bright blue with a yellow belly
    and Gabite goes from blue with grey highlights to purple with blue highlights
    and Garchomp is just... slightly lighter in color, I guess?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i catch so many shiny pokémon in pokémon go and there are so many 3 stage lines that start cool or different looking and then end with a terrible shiny. i assumed some of the early generations were due to either hardware limitations and/or an algorithm that goes off the original colors (since a lot of shiny color swaps are similar) but ursaluna was from a switch game in 2022

u1x1iodd92qc.jpg

incredibly disappointing. it should have been a more eye searing green than ursaring

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    that's not shiny that bear just laid in the sun too long

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh the eyebrows are supposed to look like clouds in front of the moon, that's a very clever design.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I've caught/bred exactly 3 shinies across all the Pokemon games I've played.

Only one I'm really attached to is my shiny Umbreon from Sword/Shield; that is a cool shiny design

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shiny Umbreon is a real good look yeah.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    They did it, they finally made a grass/fire type. It's ugly as shit, too, I love it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    They did it, they finally made a grass/fire type. It's ugly as shit, too, I love it.

if it's not a flaming bale of hay with eyes i'm not interested

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    My partner and I have been playing a TON if ScaVio this weekend and we love most of it.

I even found my second (I think) ever random shiny. It was Gumshoos, sadly, and the only reason I knew was i asked, "hey babe, what color is Gumshoos?" and she replied, "yellow", and I respond, "well this one is pink."

And that's how we discovered that game freak really screwed over shiny hunters.
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It really would've been better to be. I have it in my party as a confused pity choice. I love and hate him.

In general we've not been super enamored with the mons this go round. Which makes getting excited about my team hard.

Einzel on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I saw the clip of the guy whose Gimmiegol evolved and then he started crying when he saw the new form.

thoughts and prayers to pokefans

• Options
    edited November 2022
    How spoilers-y are the previous pages in this thread? We're doing a blind (as possible) run through so I don't wanna get spoiled.

Also, if anyone says this isn't the best main series game, they're clearly wrong
    s9rtz6yun9f7.jpg

q96ohoz3rrm2.jpg

Einzel on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    How spoilers-y are the previous pages in this thread? We're doing a blind (as possible) run through so I don't wanna get spoiled.

Also, if anyone says this isn't the best main series game, they're clearly wrong
    s9rtz6yun9f7.jpg

q96ohoz3rrm2.jpg

I had a moment like that down by the coast in the first area where there are Wigletts. I kept trying (and failing) to sneak up on them, and as I turned around to reset my distance I discovered a crowd of Psyduck looking deeply concerned for me over my strange behavior.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Who’s ready to break their joycons?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    as far as i can tell the only way to get a foreign language pokedex entry in scarlet and violet is to have that foreign pokemon be the one that unlocks the dex entry, which is very annoying!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SV really needs some sort of warning when you're about to go into a major battle and are horribly under-levelled. Wild Pokémon can be dealt with, but trainer battles are a kick in the pants whenever it happens.

Also, there's a surprising amount of storytelling in the school. Not mind-blowing or anything, but there's some curious Lore morsels and character scenes if you do the classes and speak to the staff around the academy.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

I designed a grass/fire Pokémon once but Mr. Gamefreak didn’t want it.

hmrbwx3vkult.jpeg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    woolie!?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    tusque

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    woolie!?

a woolie mammoth, at that

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2022

I designed a grass/fire Pokémon once but Mr. Gamefreak didn’t want it.

hmrbwx3vkult.jpeg

Rastaphant?
    SV really needs some sort of warning when you're about to go into a major battle and are horribly under-levelled. Wild Pokémon can be dealt with, but trainer battles are a kick in the pants whenever it happens.

I wish there was a toggle for showing mon levels rather than having to hold down LT forever. And it wouldn't have complained with a map screen level range for areas.

My partner told me one of the complaints she's seen is "this is the easiest elite four". Wild how a game that has no set corridor and as far as I can tell the largest pre-e4 pokedex, I'm SUPER shocked that the elite four might be easy. I'm guessing said complainers also had an average mon base stat of like 535.

Einzel on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I've caught 4 pseudo legendary dragons and I'm pretty sure I can get the rest with minimal effort and a Volcarona

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @Einzel
    Yeah, or maybe… raggamammo, from raggamuffin and mammoth.

• Options
    I've caught 4 pseudo legendary dragons and I'm pretty sure I can get the rest with minimal effort and a Volcarona

I think I've seen every crazy high stat dragon so far?

Also we noted that this gen might be the best for single type runs. Normally that's difficult to get a solid 6 but with a few exceptions, there are tons of each particular typing.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Got my first SV shiny on the way to the ghost psychic gym! It's a shiny Gogoat let's goooooooo(goat)

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I told myself I would wait for the next pokemon game to come out to buy it, since they are a yearly thing and I already have Arceus, but from the videos Ive seen, the new one looks way better than Arceus. Anyone here played both?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I told myself I would wait for the next pokemon game to come out to buy it, since they are a yearly thing and I already have Arceus, but from the videos Ive seen, the new one looks way better than Arceus. Anyone here played both?

Spoilered for long ramble, no actual spoilers
    I'm getting close to wrapping up the main story of Violet now and the technical issues are the only thing that put it tentatively below Arceus right now. Arceus had its issues too but even as someone who will look past a lot I have been taken out of the experience on several occasions.

It's mostly when you're in towns and NPCs are walking around, the Pokémon themselves look the best they ever have in 3D and battles are pretty smooth with only the occasional hiccup when the camera isn't locked. I hope it can get patched but at the very least I still think that with random NPCs keeping their feet planted would have gone a long way. There's a major battle where they walk back and forth in the background and if they were just snipped out I would've been fine!

The battles themselves and the narrative have been enjoyable and the latter at times has been touching, and I feel like this is the most catching I've done during the story portion. There's an abundance of resources you get just for exploring and your secondary currency can also buy stuff in a pinch so I'm never short on supplies.

You can change Terra types with enough materials, but there's a novelty to diving into raids or seeing a special Terra Pokemon in the wild and snagging it. I've only done one 4 star raid so far but it's sooo much better than Dynamax raids, GF definitely learnt from them.

Bottom line: performance is definitely bad in places but I'm overall positive, maybe wait if Arceus gave you your fill for the year.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Catching and releasing a hundred Rockruffs until I find one with Own Tempo

Also I didn't realize my friendship was somehow very high already with my Eevee so it already evolved into Sylveon, which is like... the worst Eeveelution. I didn't get a chance to stop it either!

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Also I didn't realize my friendship was somehow very high already with my Eevee so it already evolved into Sylveon, which is like... the worst Eeveelution. I didn't get a chance to stop it either!

Boooooo!

Boo this man!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Umbreon is the best Eeveelution followed by Glaceon. I have no idea what moves they have anymore but design-wise

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Fairy type generally is of no interest to me

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

There's a glowy one with own tempo also if you find one in a raid it usually has the hidden ability

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The Fairy type generally is of no interest to me

smash cut to grey ghost being run over by a fighting car

liEt3nH.png