As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hooked on PhoneX

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Musk releases new phones that are just reskinned versions of those exploding Samsungs.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I anticipate that MuskPhone™ will be like Infowars' Brainforce, bought only by diehard fans. Otherwise I'm not seeing how he possibly breaks into that market to usurp the current leaders. Twitter is not a killer app.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Also, like.

Okay, no twitter app on Apple and Android. You have to have the MuskPhone for the app.

The fucking website still works. You don't need the app. So even less incentive. Unless he would plan to block access completely from any device that isn't his super special phone?

Lol God this gets worse with every second spent thinking about it.

• neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    He could just buy an existing phone company

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    lol if you think he would actually go through the effort of even halfassedly actually making a phone

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    lmao, like Apple isn’t one of the best companies out there when it comes to privacy.

This

For all the faults of the walled garden and their shitty business practices (and there are many), “your iPhone is spying on you” is not particularly one of them

Hell it’s one of the reasons Zuckerberg is pissed, because Apple cut the data flow in the FB app, if memory serves

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    lol if you think he would actually go through the effort of even halfassedly actually making a phone

of course he wouldn't, he'd just buy a company that was making a phone already, kick out the founder, give himself the founder title, and take all the credit for himself

broken image link
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    The T-Mobile.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I hate Nate cause he's right that the school closures have had severe impacts on children's learning and socialization but that doesn't mean it was the wrong choice

But he isn't right, either, because the hardest hit areas are those that were already suffering from underfunding and insufficient staffing. It turns out places with more resources did better than those without.

Also when we reopened schools too soon we got to see how it wouldn't have been any better, anyway. There were a ton of kids who agreed that the implementation of online learning was garbage but when they got thrust back into schools too soon it was often worse: there was no stability for any better learning than online, no comfortable socializing and you got to feel bad if you spread it to someone before you realized you had it, especially if it killed someone.

On top of, you know, all the kids catching covid themselves being a distinctly bad thing.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    I have to wonder if it might be a bit more complicated for some asshole rich dude to by an existing phone company than Twitter.

Mill wrote: »
    I have to wonder if it might be a bit more complicated for some asshole rich dude to by an existing phone company than Twitter.

If he wants instant success with a major brand I suspect Apple or Samsung or similar are beyond his means both in cash or law ignoring. If he buys a struggling brand on the cheap I'm not seeing how he could improve that brand's share of the market.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    He's not gonna do anything any time soon, he's just agreeing with someone who's on his 'side' and supporting him. He can be trusted when describing his future plans exactly as much as he can be trusted describing the past.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Musk spends all day agreeing with people who flatter him and posting the 🤣 emoji, thats all it is

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    nothing musk says is real until it happens. he's a compulsive huckster that can't stop selling himself as the most brilliant motherfucker who can do anything, especially things that you can't, so adulate him

liEt3nH.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

I was waiting for someone to put one of these together. I'm generally a bit hesitant to jump at news about bannings, because sometimes they get unbanned shortly after, but it's something to keep an eye on

(and of course all the weirdo elon cultists in the replies are going with the "they're pedos" narrative that elon started)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Wondering when Musk or his dipshit turd cultists will get dragged to court for calling some a pedo. Pretty sure it's easy to argue that the fuckers are doing it to cause reputational harm and that it isn't true because their is a very specific definition of what pedo means.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Twitter

Sobering to realize that even Donald Trump has the willpower to stay off Twitter but I don't.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    nothing musk says is real until it happens. he's a compulsive huckster that can't stop selling himself as the most brilliant motherfucker who can do anything, especially things that you can't, so adulate him
    The twitter deal only went through because they forced him to! I'm 99% his plan was some shitty "I'm gonna do it... oop, no I'm not1" but then he signed a contract he couldn't back out of.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wondering when Musk or his dipshit turd cultists will get dragged to court for calling some a pedo. Pretty sure it's easy to argue that the fuckers are doing it to cause reputational harm and that it isn't true because their is a very specific definition of what pedo means.

Musk already won a case where he called that one guy trying to rescue those kids in a cave a pedo for saying his dumb submarine idea wasn't going to be helpful.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it is very easily to legally call someone a pedo in american court

liEt3nH.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Musk already won a case where he called that one guy trying to rescue those kids in a cave a pedo for saying his dumb submarine idea wasn't going to be helpful.

To be fair, the attorney in that case was Lin Wood, I don't think anyone else would make that mistake.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Lin Wood was unable to successfully establish that replying to somebody on Twitter could mean that whatever you say is directed at/applies to the person you are replying to. Elon Musk could have literally typed "I am, completely seriously, accusing you of being a pedophile and hope that readers understand you should lose your job and not be trusted, and I say this knowing it is a malicious lie" and still won the case given that.

I ate an engineer
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

of course he wouldn't, he'd just buy a company that was making a phone already, kick out the founder, give himself the founder title, and take all the credit for himself

Freedom Phone 2.0, a reskinned Android phone that is skimming even more data from you.

Elon could buy the company for $69m and complete his meme bullshit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Lin wood couldn't pour piss from a boot if the instructions were on the heel.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

I find this kind of hilarious given that "overpopulation is a myth" appears to be the consensus on the left for the most part

Really close to saying "up yours, woke moralists! We will see who cancels who!"

Couscous on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    That's not even a virus.

It's a fungus.

I know this is a minor detail and a nitpick and essentially irrelevant to his actual madness, but dude is supposed to be pretending that he is a Very Smart Boy Indeed so he should at least try to maintain his kayfabe.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I say that all the time because it's just a really funny thing to say

One guy believing a thing obviously mean the whole of the left agrees with him

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Human populations seem to grow until they reach comfortable carrying capacity and then level out to roughly replacement levels. The global growth rate has been decelerating since the 1960s and looks like it's going to stabilize around 2100, barring any significant changes to the situation (hello climate change). Carrying capacity is affected by food availability, medical technology, living space and economic prosperity.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The Left: Famously unanimous in their views

Maddoc wrote: »

Well said, Committee to Free Galilee

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Well said, Committee to Free Galilee

uh, we're the People's Front of Judea

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Fucking 80's Movie and Cartoon Villains were cunning along with being ruthless, that we as the audience sorta respected them, despite our distaste for them.

We were lied to. Our real life villains are dumb as fuck. Fucking fail children (Yup, Trump, even you were Fred's failure kid.) ruining the fucking world.

Human populations seem to grow until they reach comfortable carrying capacity and then level out to roughly replacement levels. The global growth rate has been decelerating since the 1960s and looks like it's going to stabilize around 2100, barring any significant changes to the situation (hello climate change). Carrying capacity is affected by food availability, medical technology, living space and economic prosperity.
    The issue is that we might not be stabilising at replacement levels. Which is good! We need less people in general, and you can't get a better "less people" than dying of old age (as opposed to plague or war). Things are going to get a little hairy in the transition, we've built so much of our society on the concept of endless growth, but hopefully we're gonna end up in a better place than we are now.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The issue is that we might not be stabilising at replacement levels. Which is good! We need less people in general, and you can't get a better "less people" than dying of old age (as opposed to plague or war). Things are going to get a little hairy in the transition, we've built so much of our society on the concept of endless growth, but hopefully we're gonna end up in a better place than we are now.

We do not need less people. We can handle a lot more people on Earth we just need better distribution of resources, and less pollution.

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    What if instead we take care of the people we already have and use those extra resources to have more dogs

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    “Need” is an odd word here…

Need from whose perspective? Need to what end?

Depending on how you slice it there isn’t a need for less people or more people or a need for people at all. Or, if like, your goal is to go settle the galaxy you’ll need a lot more people.

What if your goal is to stuff people into a factory

Hypothetically speaking

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    What if your goal is to stuff people into a factory

Hypothetically speaking

If you want to oppress people, you'll tend to favor "make more people" on the whole

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.