As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop Replacement/Suggestions Thread: Bring out yer dead laptops!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with Lenovo customer service. This Ideapad 5 has been great.

On a related note, I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the 500GB hard drive at some point in the future. Google tells me that it's an M.2 2242, which gives me fewer and more expensive options than 2280s. Are there any gotchas to avoid here? I'm not really super knowledgeable about laptops.

I was kind of eying this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-DRAM-less-Internal-Performance-SB-1342-2TB/dp/B07XVRTG1H but the expected Black Friday discount did not materialise.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    M.2 2242 is a form factor, specifically it's the shortest M.2 form factor. There's 3 M.2 form factors, 2242, 2260 and 2280. So you do need to get a 2242 type one specifically for it to fit in the laptop.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Well yes I get that part; it's 42mm instead of 80mm long. I meant in terms of power draw, sidedness and cache

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Really comes down to how much you want to pay. Technically getting something from Microcenter or Bestbuy would be best if you get their warranty since you can take it in. Even slightly technical users can be leary working on laptops.

I will only help a friend fix a laptop if the answer to 'do you care if we break it on accident' is 'no', e.g. it isn't worth paying someone to fix but he has the part it needs, so why not give it a go?

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Well yes I get that part; it's 42mm instead of 80mm long. I meant in terms of power draw, sidedness and cache

I don't think there's any other gotchas that are different compared to full size M.2 SSDs, but I'm not an expert about SSDs or laptops. You do probably want SSDs with DRAM cache because they perform better. I don't think power is an issue.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So what's the latest on this landscape?

My wife would like a macbook, but doesn't want to pay for the one which would be able to handle two monitors which is something she desires (I don't think she'll use this at her station personally, but it's what she wants :) ). She doesn't otherwise have high graphic demands (not going to be gaming, or anything like that). So what would you guys recommend with modern laptops which can support 2 external monitors?

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    If you are not looking for anything fancy, look at Dell Small Business outlet for sales. I have a precision for work and it's a champ with 2 monitors, though it may be overkill depending on her work. Either way, they tend to come with 1-3 year on site warranty and you can sometimes get a decent deal.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    My wife's laptop case wasn't sitting flush, but she's dropped it a few times. I opened it to make sure the battery wasn't swollen, and it was just due to the panel being bent... but the battery was a little swollen, just not enough to push the back panel. Should I replace it ASAP or is it ok to procrastinate? Online people make it sound like it is a hand grenade at more or less any point in time but wasn't sure how reasonable it was to replace them before performance starts to degrade just because you can see a little puff.

//posted this in the wrong thread. Since then, poking around, sounds like while it isn't really an immediate threat, that the best course of action is still not to dilly dally in replacing the battery. There are a lot of presumably Chinese brands on Amazon, with ok reviews, but probably easy to game. Any favorite reputable retailers or are these going to all be fairly equivalent?

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I'd just replace it. The cost of the replacement isn't worth the trouble of the worst case scenario or even the best case scenario (where it just stops working and now we have to wait for a new one).

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The battery isn't going to set on fire today or tomorrow, but you should still replace it ASAP.

And to find one, just google laptop battery replacement. There are plenty of 3rd party companies that aren't amazon. The reality is that most of the actual batteries will probably come from the same factories in China, but I'd prefer to deal with a company that isn't on Amazon.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    OK thanks for confirming I ought to just swap it out. At least for this one they seem surprisingly affordable, compared to what some other rechargeable batteries run.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I was asked to assist in speccing out a laptop, with the capabilities not being too tough, like playing Satisfactory or other recent games without having to minimum graphics everything, and then all the normal stuff, like running Open Office and streaming. I figure this build will be good for a good number of years to come, but wanted to see that I hadn't goofed on anything, or 'hey, this laptop does the exact same but is $XX cheaper.'

Messing around on the HP website, I customized an HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr000, total cost about $1,700.

Processor and graphics Intel® Core™ i5-1235U + NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2050 Laptop GPU (4 GB)
    Memory 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Display 17.3" diagonal, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)
    Storage 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Any comments or criticisms?

• Options
    The laptop version of the 2050 looks like a pretty bad GPU, I'd go for the laptop 3060 they offer instead if you can get it. Personally I'd also go for a smaller screen resolution, 4k on a 17" screen seems like it would be hard to notice the difference from 1080p or 1440p. Plus the bigger the resolution the harder it is for the GPU to drive it, and laptop GPUs already struggle with their focus on lowering power consumption and heat generation.

This one on sale looks like a much better deal if you/they don't mind the screen being 1440p-ish instead of 4k, and 16" instead of 17" https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-16-h0787nr

laptop 3060 GPU and way better processor for about the same price not on sale, but it is on sale, so for $300 less

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    yeah that U series processor, 2050, and 4k screen are a recipe for a bad time.

What is the priority of the laptop? Gaming or productivity and battery life?

I think the best compromise between both is still going to be the ASUS ROG Zephyrus line. Those are proper gaming laptops that also get decent to good battery life. If they really want to game on the laptop you want an H series processor, (or at least HS on the AMD side) and at least a 3060 GPU.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Productivity and battery life. Gaming is an appreciated perk. That setup was a case of 'just because I could, doesn't mean I should've.' I mean, 4k, that's so many K!

*edit* I have to admit to being a rube, but the '$800 off' sticker caught my eye when perusing the stock at the local Microcenter. Smaller HD, but if the benchmark for games I'm trying to run is 'Starcraft 2' the GPU and 1.7 Ghz seem like they should be fine? This isn't going to be used for gaming when there isn't a wall outlet near by, so battery life isn't a heavy concern, and it's replacing a laptop that's made it through 10+ years of good service.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/663175/hp-omen-17-ck1020nr-173-gaming-laptop-computer-black

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    that laptop is a very good deal, you can swap out the SSD for a bigger one with the savings or add a second if there's a slot

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    When looking for laptops, for me the screen is going to be the #1 priority. A laptop is more than just gaming, it's media and productivity, which means the screen quality is more important than a few extra FPS for me.

I ended up going with this model: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/asus-rog-flow-x16. After going to Microcenter, the Asus StudioArt model with an Oled screen was just so much better than anything else they had. The Flow X16 has a mini-led, which isn't quite OLED but pretty close on smaller screens. I would have loved a 17" version but in 2022, nothing was available. The best OLED option was an MSI model at 15.6". This year it seems there may end up being more options. Acer has an 18" model with mini-LED option. I'm not seeing any 17" OLED models sadly.

Outside of OLED/Mini-LED, LCD screens can range greatly. It may be worth going to Microcenter if you have one to take a look. My wife got an Alienware X17 R1 with 4K screen which is one of the nicest normal LCD screens I've seen (also has the best keyboard I've seen as it's mechanical). We were able to get it refurbed for a discount, but it was still kind of expensive. One thing I noticed when going to Microcenter, there are a ton of laptops that have decent specs but had terrible screens and overall build quality was pretty terrible.

Another model that's been generally reviewed really well is the Lenovo Legion Pro 5i. Looks like a 7i model is coming out with the latest stuff, so you might be able to get a discount on the 5i. A few pages back someone got a couple and seemed pretty pleased.

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Another model that's been generally reviewed really well is the Lenovo Legion Pro 5i. Looks like a 7i model is coming out with the latest stuff, so you might be able to get a discount on the 5i. A few pages back someone got a couple and seemed pretty pleased.

my legion 5 (ryzen5 / 1660ti) that i got for 800$ is coming up on 2 years now and is still going strong. their fan design is great and quite easy to open up and clean.

Xantus on
  • Options
    Thanks all for the help - it blew a few cobwebs out of my brain and helped me get a decent spec together that pushed all the right buttons.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    This is a bit of a long shot, but I was just rebuffed by Dell support because my ~6 year old laptop (5520) does not have a service plan.

Is there a reliable repository for deep service manuals for older Dells - not the basic, "this is how you pull it apart and how you put it back together" one that they have on their main public website, but something that is like, "Plug (Px) should have 19.5v between pin 0 and pin 8"?

Spoiler for some details:
    I have narrowed an issue to either 1) possibly the battery, or 2) possibly the main board power between the DC-in jack and the battery plug.

What I don't know, is if this model has some silly internal operation where-in, if the battery is not plugged in then the battery plug is cut off from the main rail voltage.

I don't want to spend $99+shipping and tax on a new battery if it's a mainboard problem.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    OK kind of an obscure one here.

My laptop has Wifi, but it suddenly has less wifi than it used to. The range is suddenly much lower; it will work just fine if I'm within about 3 meters of the wifi hub, but any further than that and it... won't. It's a really steep drop-off too. Literally the difference between leaning forward and leaning back on the couch at my dad's place, for instance.

Edit: I should say that the issue has persisted through a complete reinstallation of the operating system, albeit both OS were Linux distros.

The wifi signal is still detected, and the signal strength can be reported as at, say, 70% and just... not give me any data. If I use my ancient Pixel2 as a wifi hotspot, it'll work just fine in places where the laptop wifi just cycles through the trying to connect sequence.

The wifi card in the laptop appears firmly seated and connected and not obviously damaged in any way.

It's one of these https://www.impactcomputers.com/5w10v25797.html which I infer from the price is not the highest of high end units. I'm open to replacing it with something better if that is what's needed to fix the problem, and if it's a viable option. It seem to be connected via a normal M2 socket.

While I have the laptop open, I can also see that the SSD is a 512GB Western Digital SN530 in 2242 format. Is this drop-in replaceable with any 2242 NVME?

(Irritatingly, Lenovo seem to have mounted it on some kind of metal shim that specifically restricts putting in a 2280, even though there would clearly be space for one if it weren't for that damb shim)

V1m on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Could be that the antenna got disconnected or slightly loose.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    The black and white cables into the wifi card seem pretty solidly attached. They're connected to little sockets under a little layer of transparent plastic which I was disinclined to fiddle with. Are the cables themselves the antennae, or do they need to connect to something at the other end? It's not really clear where they end up without taking the laptop apart much further.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Did you recently start using a Bluetooth device with it?

I had this happen on my laptop. Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wifi share the same frequency. As soon as I’d connect my Bluetooth headset my wifi would go to shit.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I'm not using Bluetooth on it, but good thought! I do have some bluetooth earbuds, I wonder if they're fuckn with it.

Update: Bluetooth isn't the problem here. Opinion from another source says this sounds like an imperfect connection between the wifi chip and the actual receiving surface in the laptop lid. As the cables plug into the wifi chip itself perfectly well as far as I can tell, further investigation would mean doing more dismantling than I an comfortable with to deal with what is basically an inconvenience.

On the other hand, if it becomes more inconvenient, or the problem gets worse, I can get a USB wifi dongle pretty cheaply.

V1m on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    'eyyyy, decision paralysis is a normal thing for me, so I'm going to lean on you folks with broader knowledge for recommendations. Thank you in advance!
    I've got $2k earmarked for a laptop and can flex higher, but old financial demons + ADHD brain makes me wary of possibly forgetting or dropping something that expensive. (I never have before, but, anxiety.) Another emotional component is that my parents & sister have Apple stuff, my household has only an ipod, and that prevents me from completely dismissing the convenience of that ecosystem.

So in general, my brain kinda short-circuits when it comes to making a choice lest I make the 'wrong' one.

My usage right now would be simple, but I'm trying to get something that will support/encourage revisiting happy challenges and getting out of my house, and kinda futureproof without completely overspending.
    Current needs: internet, office suite, light gaming a la The Sims, music consumption

Predicted needs: music creation ie audio loop software, grad school for social work & info/library science (eg, data visualization involves both large dataset manipulation and graphic design)

Good battery life for typical usage, good transition speed between open programs, and a non-squishy keyboard are my key pinchpoints, I think. I will actually have it on my lap a lot and sit in weird positions, so a strong hinge and a 14-15" screen to minimize weight while maintaining visibility also feel important traits.

It's minor, but evenly-sized arrow keys are much preferred. Webcam would be good.

Minimum:
    16gb RAM
    512gb storage, pref. 1TB
    enough nits for Texas sunshine
    At Best Buy, I only really looked at Surface Laptop and Macbook Pro; I liked the keyboard on the Surface better, but nothing really wowed me. I liked the touchscreen as an accessibility option, and I certainly miss having a tablet, but that's not the priority over my needs listed above. (The Lenovo Yoga's kb is a nonstarter.)

Someone the other day mentioned their Framework -- I think that whole thing is neat, and with recent updates, the only drawback might be the lack of dedicated graphics card on the 13". Tempting, but a bit small.

Anyway, here's a list a data scientist recommends, and his readers' suggestions:
    MacBook Pro 13″ or 14″
    MacBook Air M2
    Dell XPS 13 or Dell XPS 15
    Dell Inspiron 15.6″ (+8gb RAM)
    Lenovo Thinkpad X or T series

Razer Blade Stealth

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I have Framework's cheapest laptop from when they initially released (11th gen Intel? I think?). I've gamed a bit on it, primarily Oxygen Not Included, but I did a test and it ran Deep Rock galactic playably, so even without a dedicated GPU, it's not terrible.

However, for everything else it has been a dream. I've owned Dell, Apple, Toshiba and most recently before the Framework, an Asus laptop. I hated them all. I love my Framework laptop. It runs so clean because I installed the OS myself. Every single little part on it is removable and replaceable individually. I can upgrade it with new parts without replacing anything that doesn't need upgrading.

Hell, when the new 16" chassis (With the mobile GPU slot) releases later this year, I could just transfer the innards over and only buy the new chassis and a GPU.

The offerings are still fairly limited, and with only one screen/chassis size right now it's not super great, but if what they offer does fit what you want, I highly recommend a Framework laptop.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I have Framework's cheapest laptop from when they initially released (11th gen Intel? I think?). I've gamed a bit on it, primarily Oxygen Not Included, but I did a test and it ran Deep Rock galactic playably, so even without a dedicated GPU, it's not terrible.

However, for everything else it has been a dream. I've owned Dell, Apple, Toshiba and most recently before the Framework, an Asus laptop. I hated them all. I love my Framework laptop. It runs so clean because I installed the OS myself. Every single little part on it is removable and replaceable individually. I can upgrade it with new parts without replacing anything that doesn't need upgrading.

Hell, when the new 16" chassis (With the mobile GPU slot) releases later this year, I could just transfer the innards over and only buy the new chassis and a GPU.

The offerings are still fairly limited, and with only one screen/chassis size right now it's not super great, but if what they offer does fit what you want, I highly recommend a Framework laptop.

While I'm not going too hard against Framework, they're still very much a work in progress company. The 12th gen version of their computers have terrible battery life, Framework even admitted it after the fact and that no amount of bios updates/driver updates/fixes can solve that. So the 12th gen version of their components is not super highly regarded.

And as for the OS, sure but I could also take a clean Windows 11 ISO and install it on my [name brand] laptop, only install the drivers and none of the extra software, and get that clean OS experience, so that's not unique.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great this company exists, it needs to exist, and I want it to succeed. I've priced out a 13" laptop tons of times, trying to justify it. But when I look to replace my 6 year old laptop this fall I just can't justify what is going to be about a $600 premium for essentially the same internal components over what is an equivalent name brand laptop. I just need that price to come down a bit, and for the company to prove more reliability.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    None of that's incorrect, and absolutely should be taken into account. All I can say is that this is not the most expensive laptop I've owned, but it is by far the best.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The only issues I've run into with my 11th gen framework is audio jack grounding/sound floor issues (that are either driver, hardware, or both) that framework might not be able to fix; maybe if I could get them to give me a new sound daughterboard, but I don't feel like going through the trouble only to find out it doesn't fix it. I have a little usb sound card and work around that. The other is the CMOS battery loses charge while off (because of the battery they picked) and it constantly loses clock time. Besides those, if you used the laptop all the time you wouldn't run into the latter and its a fine little dingus; albeit I wish it had a matte screen (I think the new ones have that as an option).

Hopefully the first issue is fixed in newer revisions (I think the latter was fixed in 12th gen but no idea).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So, is the Arc A370M a mobile variant of the Arc discrete GPUs; or is it new lipstick on the same integrated graphics pig?

• Options
    It appears to be a proper discreet GPU, on par with a laptop 3050.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    pooka wrote: »
    'eyyyy, decision paralysis is a normal thing for me, so I'm going to lean on you folks with broader knowledge for recommendations. Thank you in advance!
    I've got $2k earmarked for a laptop and can flex higher, but old financial demons + ADHD brain makes me wary of possibly forgetting or dropping something that expensive. (I never have before, but, anxiety.) Another emotional component is that my parents & sister have Apple stuff, my household has only an ipod, and that prevents me from completely dismissing the convenience of that ecosystem.

So in general, my brain kinda short-circuits when it comes to making a choice lest I make the 'wrong' one.

My usage right now would be simple, but I'm trying to get something that will support/encourage revisiting happy challenges and getting out of my house, and kinda futureproof without completely overspending.
    Current needs: internet, office suite, light gaming a la The Sims, music consumption

Predicted needs: music creation ie audio loop software, grad school for social work & info/library science (eg, data visualization involves both large dataset manipulation and graphic design)

Good battery life for typical usage, good transition speed between open programs, and a non-squishy keyboard are my key pinchpoints, I think. I will actually have it on my lap a lot and sit in weird positions, so a strong hinge and a 14-15" screen to minimize weight while maintaining visibility also feel important traits.

It's minor, but evenly-sized arrow keys are much preferred. Webcam would be good.

Minimum:
    16gb RAM
    512gb storage, pref. 1TB
    enough nits for Texas sunshine
    At Best Buy, I only really looked at Surface Laptop and Macbook Pro; I liked the keyboard on the Surface better, but nothing really wowed me. I liked the touchscreen as an accessibility option, and I certainly miss having a tablet, but that's not the priority over my needs listed above. (The Lenovo Yoga's kb is a nonstarter.)

Someone the other day mentioned their Framework -- I think that whole thing is neat, and with recent updates, the only drawback might be the lack of dedicated graphics card on the 13". Tempting, but a bit small.

Anyway, here's a list a data scientist recommends, and his readers' suggestions:
    MacBook Pro 13″ or 14″
    MacBook Air M2
    Dell XPS 13 or Dell XPS 15
    Dell Inspiron 15.6″ (+8gb RAM)
    Lenovo Thinkpad X or T series

Razer Blade Stealth

I've never really been able to find a perfect laptop, so it's all about narrowing down that you need/want most. I'd start with the OS. Can you run all your data scientist software on MacOS? Are you comfortable using MacOS? For me, I've used Windows since Win95, so moving to MacOS wasn't happening. Also mine is mostly gaming, so that also ruled out Mac's. But if you are ok with it, it's hard to beat the build quality and features in a macbook (though you pay for it).

If you are leaning Windows or the price is too much, then figure out what's next. For me, since I'm gaming, I focused on screen, which limited me to only a couple models. If specs and keyboard are your top requirements, that might limit you as well. Mechanical keyboards on laptops are pretty rare still. My wife has an Alienware with one, and it's really great, but it's also missing a numpad and is 17".

For reference, I got the Asus X16 Flow. The mini-led screen, folds into tablet mode, and a 3070ti card were my most important points. However I had to give up battery life and a great keyboard (this keyboard is pretty squishy).

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh wise thread. For a windows laptop which manufacturer should I use? I'd like it to replace my gaming pc, but will mostly need it as a laptop for the 3d scanner which needs some stuff: (https://support.einstar.com/support/solutions/articles/60000864410-system-requirements)
    Or I guess the 3d scanner is the main reason I'd like a laptop. I could probably deal with lugging around a desktop if it's in a decent-ish sized form factor.
    I think my budget is around $1500 I'll probably buy in like a month or so.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The best budget laptops for the last couple years have been the Lenovo Legion. https://www.ultrabookreview.com/64102-lenovo-legion-pro-5i-review-4070/

Other options would be to wait for a dell sale and grab a refurbed laptop. I've had pretty good luck in the past with refurbed outlet stuff from Dell.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Dell
    Lenovo
    Asus (ROG)
    Possibly LG but I haven't messed with them

----
    My ancient Lenovo Y5 is finally showing its age. It couldn't reliability connect to hotel internet when my wife's Dell work laptop had no issues. I'm going to start by grabbing a wifi dongle to see if that fixes things.

That being said, the machine is 2012 vintage. Even though I now only use it about twice per year, I think it's time for a replacement. So I'm going to start low-key looking for one but don't plan to buy for a while.

If any of you see a good deal, @ me. I prefer discrete GPU.

• Options
    I think the main 2 deal seasons for laptops is early spring when new models replace old and you can get the older model at a discount or in the fall/BF area where maybe you can find a back to school or BF coupon. I've had some luck in the past with 20-30% off outlet coupons around that time.

• Options
    I think the main 2 deal seasons for laptops is early spring when new models replace old and you can get the older model at a discount or in the fall/BF area where maybe you can find a back to school or BF coupon. I've had some luck in the past with 20-30% off outlet coupons around that time.

Back to school season is July and August. Considering school starts in September doing back to school deals in October is a miss.

• Options
    haha yeah, ment it more like if someone does something. Sadly I haven't really seen any back to school stuff, even pre-pandemic.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I've never had a laptop before.

I'm going to be headed back into a WFH situation soon where we use remote desktop software to work off the computers at the office. I'd like the option of having a laptop that I can work off of if I need to be away from my home PC. I won't be gaming on this, just remote work (and maaaaaybe some light-to-moderate video editing though that's only for hobby reasons), so as long as it can handle some not-too-strenuous multitasking while tethered to a mobile wifi hotspot I'd be sitting pretty. I'm looking for a Windows machine (10 is fine, doesn't have to be 11), preferably something with a numpad. 4K resolution at a minimum. I'm thinking my budget can go up to $1,500. $2,000 if need be, but if it's lower then all the better.

Edit: Poking around, it looks like 4K and the numpad are luxuries that I can do without.

Gim on