As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fairy type should always be the most beautiful but also the most terrifying

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    There's definitely some changes I wish GF would make to speed things up, but two small yet excellent QoL changes is the ability to bulk buy/sell and the setup of the X menu, especially pressing Y to make the selected Pokemon your lead.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Catching and releasing a hundred Rockruffs until I find one with Own Tempo

Also I didn't realize my friendship was somehow very high already with my Eevee so it already evolved into Sylveon, which is like... the worst Eeveelution. I didn't get a chance to stop it either!

this is transphobic

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Hey ability patch won't let me change my Meowscarada ability ! This is an outrage!
    Edit oh I need a capsule. That's needlessly confusing

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The music during the Elite Four is extremely boring

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I need to find some way to speed up this happiness thing, I'm trying to evolve a Riolu for pokedex completion and this dude has gained ten levels from me trying to make it happy and we're still here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    In SwSh you used to be able to bump happiness pretty rapidly via camping and making curries, I don't know if the picnics in this one work the same way? Might be worth looking into.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Did you get the actual elite 4 music, or the extremely common bug that just plays the first 3 seconds of the song on a loop?

Cause I ran into that during my playthrough, went "ok this is kinda eerie sounding, but no fucking way this is actually the music, right?"

Went to look up the song on YouTube and found out that the real song is completely different, with a ton of comments complaining about the exact same bug. Completely restarting the game client fixed it for me.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I need to find some way to speed up this happiness thing, I'm trying to evolve a Riolu for pokedex completion and this dude has gained ten levels from me trying to make it happy and we're still here.

Do you have a Soothe Bell? It boosts friendship if you give it to them to hold

ph blake wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Did you get the actual elite 4 music, or the extremely common bug that just plays the first 3 seconds of the song on a loop?

Cause I ran into that during my playthrough, went "ok this is kinda eerie sounding, but no fucking way this is actually the music, right?"

Went to look up the song on YouTube and found out that the real song is completely different, with a ton of comments complaining about the exact same bug. Completely restarting the game client fixed it for me.

Yeah, turns out that's what happened. Biggest bummer of a bug so far, since I've really been enjoying the music

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah I am just now learning what the actual E4 theme sounds like, that sucks. Having hit credits all I'll say for now is that was a really cool finale that I'm excited for others to experience.

Although apparently there's no Battle Tower or E4 rematches? There are post-game fights and the minor legendaries, but the latter sounds tedious to get and the Tower is what keeps me playing loooong after the game comes out so that getting cut/the music glitch is a one-two blow that further confirms that they needed to be given more time to develop this game.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    But y’all bought it so NEXT BIT—

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fun fan the Pokémon with the highest speed stat is Company.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think they'd like to replace the battle tower with increasingly accessible online multiplayer but i don't think they've really nailed the onboarding for that

liEt3nH.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Personally I kinda haven't bothered with Tower equivalents for a long ass time. I think last time I did was in the first B/W? I'm increasingly okay with letting games just end without keeping me playing forever - I also tend to not really grind forever in Monster Hunter postgame and such. So my focus is more whether the experience until the end is good.

For that, up to where I am at least SV is being significantly above average, I have to say. I'm genuinely kinda sad that the whole development rush thing is going to mean the only thing people remember are the bugs because this feels like the best Pokemon has been in basically forever and if they'd been willing to delay six months for some actual QA people would be lauding this as the best pokemon game, I'm pretty sure.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Regular Pokemon game campaigns are SO easy, they offer no training whatsoever on competent, competitive battling. So reaching the towers or playing online feels like if you played a whole campaign of a basketball game where you didn't have to dribble. And there was no shot clock. And you couldn't go out of bounds. Then the post game and multiplayer suddenly introduces all these elements. Like all things Pokemon, I don't feel like the devs feel any pressure to improve on this, each new game sells better than the last, while actively getting worse in many ways.

There's tons of rental codes for teams online if you search for them, but yeah I don't think they do a good job of showcasing that in game.

Rental Codes are fucking excellent though, love to just see a cool team and then immediately mess around with it instead of having to build it from scratch

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Regular Pokemon game campaigns are SO easy, they offer no training whatsoever on competent, competitive battling. So reaching the towers or playing online feels like if you played a whole campaign of a basketball game where you didn't have to dribble. And there was no shot clock. And you couldn't go out of bounds. Then the post game and multiplayer suddenly introduces all these elements. Like all things Pokemon, I don't feel like the devs feel any pressure to improve on this, each new game sells better than the last, while actively getting worse in many ways.

Pokemon devs figured out a long while ago that the community will do most of the heavy lifting for them in explaining how the game works.

Like imagine playing any recent Pokemon game with no source of knowledge outside the game itself. You'd maybe get 75% of the 'Dex if you were lucky, ain't no NPCs telling you to catch three Bellsprouts and fall down a hill at night for the new Eeveelution.

They go so far as to troll people with the Evo method for
    Primeape
    by almost telling you what you need to do

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Just found out about Sirfetch'd evolution method. You have to have Galarian Farfetch'd hit three critical hits in one battle (harsh enough), but then just to be nasty in Galarian Farfetch'd's movelist they got rid of most of the moves regular Farfetch'd learns that have extra critical hit chance.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Just found out about Sirfetch'd evolution method. You have to have Galarian Farfetch'd hit three critical hits in one battle (harsh enough), but then just to be nasty in Galarian Farfetch'd's movelist they got rid of most of the moves regular Farfetch'd learns that have extra critical hit chance.

Razor claw, False Swipe.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Razor claw, False Swipe.
    Dire hit as well

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesVqZcnIy0
    If you want, this streamer/youtuber came up with efficient recipes for shiny hunting

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Dang, I'm about half way through Violet and I've stumbled over so many wild shinies I'm having trouble deciding who to drop from my team to fit them in, I've never been so lucky!

Endgame Pokemon spoilers
    After wanting a Delibird Evo for years GF have kinda sorta granted my wish with Iron Bundle? It's hilarious how good it is and as samey as the future paradox mons are it's still cute and weird. Terrible name though, Delibot was right there (cheers nickname system).

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    This is the first time ever, or at least since OG Red/Blue, that I’ve finished the Pokédex. Having a group of friends playing it at the same time made it much easier.

Some bad hiccups in multiplayer, but overall probably the best mainline Pokémon in a long time.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Does anyone have Bite The Bullet on Switch? I was playing it on PC and looked up some videos of it to watch and the Switch version looks completely different.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    In SwSh you used to be able to bump happiness pretty rapidly via camping and making curries, I don't know if the picnics in this one work the same way? Might be worth looking into.

Yes you can power through happiness now with lots of playing and washing in picnics. The mons will have happiness hearts (five is full, iirc).
    never die wrote: »
    This is the first time ever, or at least since OG Red/Blue, that I’ve finished the Pokédex. Having a group of friends playing it at the same time made it much easier.

Some bad hiccups in multiplayer, but overall probably the best mainline Pokémon in a long time.

My partner was telling me about people who whined so hard that Nintendo gave them a refund and I'm over here laughing cause it's easily the best pokemon in a generation, imo.

In other news I think I've finally settled on a team. I picked the Starfall path only to find out that it's kind of locked behind getting enough gym badges, or grinding for a million years.

After like 40 hours of play I present you team all beef patty

Clodsire
    Cetitan
    Klawf
    Bellibolt
    Drifblim
    Appletun

The requirements for being on this team were 1. Round 2. Doofus.

Einzel on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Thanks to the Eevee raid event this weekend I have enough to get all the Eeveelutions

• RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    I started this game with the grass cat, cause it's the best, and then after the three hour intro, the first wild pokemon I ran in to was a terrastalized Meowth, so I decided my theme for the play through was cats.

It made a few battles legitimately hard! The fighting base was so tough, because almost every non-Eevee member of my team was weak to fighting.

But I've had a ton of fun with this game. The bugs haven't been so bad for me, and I've run into a wild shiny Dratini and Venomoth! Love Pokemon.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Do Scarlet and Violet have the full roster of Pokémon? I recall they didn’t have the full dex in… sword and shield? I haven’t played a Pokémon since X/Y

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Do Scarlet and Violet have the full roster of Pokémon? I recall they didn’t have the full dex in… sword and shield? I haven’t played a Pokémon since X/Y

Didn't S&S add it later?

• RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    It's not a full dex yet. I think it's like 400, including the new mons?

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    It is not the full dex. It’s 400 Pokémon.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Holy hell there are over a thousand Pokémon now I am old

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Holy hell there are over a thousand Pokémon now I am old

I've legitimately not been able to catch up. I was hazy on gen 7 and then they did their whole DLC bullshit with gen 8 and I couldn't even identify half the new mons they added in that as pokemon.

Thanks to the Eevee raid event this weekend I have enough to get all the Eeveelutions

Oh

I was wondering why every single one of my 3-5 star raids was an Eevee, I guess an event going on would explain that

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    For the first time in my life I'm having trouble with a gym

Electric, to be specific
    her Mismagius Tera types into Electric, but still retains its Levitate skill, which means none of my Ground attacks can actually hit it

If I can't take advantage of STAB do I just need to find something that's resistant to Ghost and Electric moves and just hit it with whatever will work? Assuming I can outlast being confused every fucking turn

For the first time in my life I'm having trouble with a gym

Electric, to be specific
    her Mismagius Tera types into Electric, but still retains its Levitate skill, which means none of my Ground attacks can actually hit it

If I can't take advantage of STAB do I just need to find something that's resistant to Ghost and Electric moves and just hit it with whatever will work? Assuming I can outlast being confused every fucking turn
    See if any of your mons learn Smack Down (I know Nacli and Larvitar gets it fairly early), it lets you knock down flying types/Levitate users so they are vulnerable to ground moves

7h8wnycre6vs.png