As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

an abiogensis body horror idle [chat]

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    japan wrote: »
    One of the fun things you get to do as an auditor is "fixed asset verification" as part of the balance sheet work

Which is literally "go and look at the things on the asset register and satisfy yourself they actually exist and/or are as described". This includes buildings.

You would be surprised how complicated that gets

I've seen more than one scheme to use The Blockchain™ for these kinds of things, and nobody seems to have thought of the concept "but the blockchain says I own this thing that nobody can find, give it to me!"

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    It's also worth reflecting that "unaccounted for" doesn't necessarily mean "stolen"

Stuff goes astray in any non-trivial inventory system for a variety of reasons

I'm also not sure how much of that kit was items supplied to Afghan National Army troops who fled or failed to report while we were still there

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Honk wrote: »
    It is a funny thought to me that weapons amnesty works. Like at some point this guy I imagine drove to the police, walked in with a gym bag, pulled up an AT4 and laid it on the counter. Probably signed some paperwork, and then drove home via the grocery store to buy diapers or whatever.

Yeah like, most people are just like alright let's dig out grandpa's ancient shotgun from his attic and get that done

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    We also have those munitions dumps in the middle of nowhere

One of my dad's duties as military police during his conscription was to go around checking those

They lost the key to one, and were faced with the issue of needing to break into a building specifically designed to take forever to break into

They spent a week straight, in shifts, with a cutting torch to get through the door. Cleverly designed things with a copper layer in them dissipating the heat.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Gosh SWTOR can be really pretty. Currently on Alderaan:

ytKdzFph.jpg

As with LOTRO, the thing the game maybe gets the most absolutely perfectly right is in creating spacious, colorful environments that really do evoke the source material.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The only stolen gear I saw was the brother of a friend who brought home these cannon grade active ear protection things.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Making me want to resub Jacob...

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Also, Jake I sware to god we just keep missing each other in MMOs, two ships passing in the night

I just got through a big SWTOR binge, and then moved onto LOTRO right as you were getting done with LOTRO, and now you jumped to SWTOR

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

it's free and depending on your situation the f2p is not onerous! it's not garishly bedecked with dollar signs everywhere locking you out of stuff the way LOTRO and STO are. especially if you have some premium currency banked that you're willing to spend on re-enabling various accountwide features like extra cargo bays etc

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    local story
    An OPP officer posing as a survivalist stockpiling weapons testified that he bought a suitcase full of hand grenades for $110,000 in a mall parking lot in Ancaster, a court has heard.

The veteran undercover officer’s face was hidden from everyone but Justice David Harris as he described the deal in a Canadian Tire Parking lot in the town outside Hamilton on Dec. 17, 2020.

He was identified only as Officer No. 2 as he described buying 60 hand grenades for $110,000.

weaver_grenades.jpg

I thought these were elaborately decorated eggs…

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Chanus I dunno if you've seen the GOTG X-Mas special yet but Gunn got the Old 97s back together for it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    After FFXIV (and Warframe, sort of) I don't think I can go back to MMOs that require me to have separate characters for each class any more.

• Options
    hah, I found my old screenshot folder with my roster of guys from the game's launch in 2011. i am very prone to making these private jokes that nobody but me will ever know about until I post them online 11 years later:

1PMkE.jpg

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus I dunno if you've seen the GOTG X-Mas special yet but Gunn got the Old 97s back together for it.
    Chanus wrote: »
    the Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special is cute and sweet and funny and stupid and has the Old 97s

A+

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »
    Also, Jake I sware to god we just keep missing each other in MMOs, two ships passing in the night

I just got through a big SWTOR binge, and then moved onto LOTRO right as you were getting done with LOTRO, and now you jumped to SWTOR

this is your fault for not posting about your MMO habits more! I'm doing my part!
    Echo wrote: »
    After FFXIV (and Warframe, sort of) I don't think I can go back to MMOs that require me to have separate characters for each class any more.

a character can't be every class now, but they can be three: the 16 class mechanics (2 per class, so, ie, a smuggler could go gunslinger (dps) or scoundrel (dps/control/heal) have been unhooked from the class stories. in other words, you can make a smuggler who uses the bounty hunter powertech mechanics, or an agent who fights like a republic trooper.

but wait, there's more! you can have up to two or three of those banked and switch between them! so you can be a smuggler OR a trooper OR a bounty hunter on the same character and just swap out at rest spots. also each class does come with its own very distinct story, and the game's been rejiggered so you can advance through the entire original launch game story purely by doing your class quest.

so you can knock out all the stories that interest you and then pick the one you want to be your "real" dude that you take into the postgame expansions

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i keep reading SWTOR as SWOTL

which funnily enough was also a Lucasfilms game

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Well done Chanus, as usual you are correct about something a day ahead of me.

• Options
    Anyone else think the guy paying $1900 a grenade got ripped off?

• Options

does seem high but i haven't tried to purchase a grenade after joe biden's inflation

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

does seem high but i haven't tried to purchase a grenade after joe biden's inflation

I'm assuming this was in canada

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Who's your grenade guy

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Do you really want to haggle with someone who has 60 grenades?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

it was but i dunno why that's important

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Joe Bidens inflation is spreading worldwide?

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »
    Who's your grenade guy

TBF it's me....

• Options

no lowballs. i know what i have.

it's grenades.

• Options

Absolutely.

• Options

Joe Bidens inflation is spreading worldwide?

um duh

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    One of the fun things you get to do as an auditor is "fixed asset verification" as part of the balance sheet work

Which is literally "go and look at the things on the asset register and satisfy yourself they actually exist and/or are as described". This includes buildings.

I've seen more than one scheme to use The Blockchain™ for these kinds of things, and nobody seems to have thought of the concept "but the blockchain says I own this thing that nobody can find, give it to me!"

"I need you to show me this thing that your list says that you own and possess. You're sure you have it but don't know where it is? That's part of the test."

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

Absolutely.

All he has to do is raise the price by $33 per grenade and he can make the same off 59.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Who's your grenade guy

TBF it's me....

I wouldnt be that surprised if you made a black powder grenade tbf

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    It's also worth reflecting that "unaccounted for" doesn't necessarily mean "stolen"

Stuff goes astray in any non-trivial inventory system for a variety of reasons

the US military is large enough that it's not just items in their inventory they lose track of but also like, fire trucks

buildings, probably

I've had to do this seven times over my last 15 years with the state Government, each time with the same woman, and each time it took a little bit of my soul to spend a day working with her as she gave the server rooms an ocular patdown, asked me where the tags were for software that was sent digitally and doesn't exist physically, and tried to say our agency would be responsible for ::checks notes:: the approximate NEW cost of a 12 year old Dell Poweredge 2900 series rack mount server.

This past time I was cc'ed on the e-mails as another team was made to do it, and I ate the e-mails like candy.

Not that I think this is the point they were making, but asset registers should distinguish between tangible and intangible assets because their depreciation/amortisation treatment is different

So if there's a fixed asset register that includes software licenses that is a problem, albeit not your problem

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I delivered some firewood to a farmer way out in the sticks once, and in his barn he had an old army issue SLR chained to a beam. He saw me looking at it, and explained he used it for putting down cows, and chaining it 10ft up was his concession to gun safety.

Everyone and their mum is packing round ere etc

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

it's free and depending on your situation the f2p is not onerous! it's not garishly bedecked with dollar signs everywhere locking you out of stuff the way LOTRO and STO are. especially if you have some premium currency banked that you're willing to spend on re-enabling various accountwide features like extra cargo bays etc

I think that I enabled some of that stuff last time I got back in which might've been 2019 I think. I'm positive that I have an ocean of currency though, I didn't do much with it back in the day and this is the game where I accidentally left the subscription going two years without playing so...

I think I might check back into this during paternity leave if I have the time, that'll be a real zero budget phase so some f2p games will be good to have I think.

• Options
    I delivered some firewood to a farmer way out in the sticks once, and in his barn he had an old army issue SLR chained to a beam. He saw me looking at it, and explained he used it for putting down cows, and chaining it 10ft up was his concession to gun safety.

Right arm of the free world.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

this is your fault for not posting about your MMO habits more! I'm doing my part!

a character can't be every class now, but they can be three: the 16 class mechanics (2 per class, so, ie, a smuggler could go gunslinger (dps) or scoundrel (dps/control/heal) have been unhooked from the class stories. in other words, you can make a smuggler who uses the bounty hunter powertech mechanics, or an agent who fights like a republic trooper.

but wait, there's more! you can have up to two or three of those banked and switch between them! so you can be a smuggler OR a trooper OR a bounty hunter on the same character and just swap out at rest spots. also each class does come with its own very distinct story, and the game's been rejiggered so you can advance through the entire original launch game story purely by doing your class quest.

so you can knock out all the stories that interest you and then pick the one you want to be your "real" dude that you take into the postgame expansions

Oh, that's a good change.

Also I can recommend critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, with an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Right arm of the free world.

Z4NkmhQ.png

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Pete Davidson is apparently dating Emily Ratajkowski now.

It's like he decided he was going to be the guy who shows up to his 10 year reunion telling stories about all the hot women he's banged since high school, but have it actually be true.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I just got a package pickup notice and two reminders in the mailbox... at the same time.

PostNord really working on that batch delivery efficiency.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Nice one, when we sit down tonight and my partner says, "You'll never guess who Pete Davidson is dating now!" I'll cut the sweet thrill of revelation right out from under her

This discussion has been closed.