As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I want to figure out where I can do sled pulls and pushes without messing up the ground. Those look fun (in a horrific way).

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Talk your gym into getting one of those magnetic resistance sleds, you can use those things anywhere.

Unrelated but if someone has $800 they don't want I'll take it, thanks.

Peen on
    That sled is so over the top and I want one.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Talk your gym into getting one of those magnetic resistance sleds, you can use those things anywhere.

Unrelated but if someone has $800 they don't want I'll take it, thanks.

Oh god, that's giving me flashbacks to high school dryland training for xc skiing. At least one section a day was hooking up a harness to each other, then the goal for one person was to run across the parking lot, while the others goal was to prevent you from running across the parking lot.

Man, that was the worst.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    for those of you who recommended kettlebells, are there any good recommendations for specific sets or brands etc. (or at least an idea of like, what a standard set should include)?

I'm not looking to break the bank getting started, but since work is paying I don't mind splurging a bit to get something that's proper quality

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    for those of you who recommended kettlebells, are there any good recommendations for specific sets or brands etc. (or at least an idea of like, what a standard set should include)?

I'm not looking to break the bank getting started, but since work is paying I don't mind splurging a bit to get something that's proper quality

I don't know brands well enough to recommend one but here's the main features you'll be looking at

Iron vs Steel - Iron is the more classic choice and is usually cheaper. Iron KBs will vary in size depending on their weight, whereas steel are a set size. I lean towards iron unless you want that standardized size

Coating quality - want something like a powder coat with a good grip and works well with chalk

Build quality - I've tried a couple with a noticeable seam on the underside of the handle and that gets super annoying on the hands

Handle shape - steel would probably have set handle size and shape, but Iron can be a bit all over the place and will get thicker at higher weights. I've used big 70lb KB that for some reason had a way too small handle that pinched my pinkies and gave some minor blisters. Most probably won't be that bad but something to consider, it should be wide enough to fit both your hands.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Also you probably don't need a particularly large set, you could probably just start with 1 and get a feel for if you want more. With KB work you'll typically scale intensity more than frequent minor load increases like you would for barbell/dumbbell work. Depending on your fitness maybe a 35 lb/16 kg/1 pood to start. If you're already pretty fit and strong maybe a 53 lb/24 kg/1.5 pood

Steam ID
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I have seen Bowflex has a version of their (fairly popular) adjustable dumbbells that are like an adjustable kettlebell, but they do tend to run a little pricy

https://www.bowflex.ca/en-ca/selecttech/840-kettlebell/100790.html

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786

For brand the only one I have used is Kettlebell Kings and I am happy with them but they are pricey.

As for what a standard set looks like, it depends on your starting strength level and what your goals are and what kind of program you are following (are you going to be doing single or double kettlebell exercises?)

Personally the program I started with was single kettlebell focus and one 16kg bell and one 24kg bell covered my first 6ish months of training, and then I added a 32kg bell.

Recently I’ve gotten more varied with the kettlebell movements I do and now I am beginning to double up my bells, and picked up a second 16kg bell (and will probably pick up a second 24kg bell 6ish months from now).

edited November 2022
    Also let's be honest the most important feature in picking a Kettlebell is if it has a cool design

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I will say I'm pretty big and no more than average strength, so probably don't need to start with anything too crazy. But that's very helpful, thanks!

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    So, I put on a fair amount of weight during the lockdowns. Always been overweight, but I went from a 38" waist to pushing 42" by the end of 2021.

Upside of this is it finally gave me the kick I needed.

Changed my diet completely, started having granola, porridge or bran, with sliced fruit and nuts for breakfast, changed my snacks to fruit, nuts, dried fruit, small amounts of cheese, rice cakes, rye bread, those kinds of things and started getting into healthier cooking for my meals. It's been easy to stick to it all year and I can't see myself going back really.

Also started cycling to work in July, about 30 mins each way, started doing some dumbbell sets 3 times a day and added a quick 10min cardio and core (the hardest part by far) workout to my morning routine.

Currently down to 80kg (about 176lb) from 105kg (231lb-ish) and fitting in a 34" waist. Also down from a 2XL shirt to an L for the first time since I was a teenager.

Progress is ongoing and hasn't stalled, but I'm thinking of adding something to my weekends, some jogging or sport or martial art, haven't made my mind up.

Anyway, I only moved down to the L shirts last week and I had this moment in the chaging rooms where I looked in the mirror and wasn't unhappy about how I looked for the first time I can remember.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Started trying to do pushups each day, felt gassed after 5 the first day. But I guess I was more learning how much I hate pushups than running into actual physical limits, since I went to 10 the second, then 13, then 21. 21 actually felt difficult to finish and left me a bit sore, so I'll probably stick to that and maybe cut back a a few if I feel like I'm accumulating pain instead of sustaining a little soreness.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I use two cast iron 16kg bells I got off Amazon ages ago. I could (and in the future will) go up to a 24kg, but for now if I want a harder workout I just do more reps or up the intensity.

I like cast iron for the old timey strongman vibe honestly.

edited November 2022
    For core work: I love my ab wheel; and also loaded carries, specifically the suitcase carry, make for some great core work.

Push-ups: with any new thing you’ll see a lot of fast gains at first as your body gets better at recruiting the required muscles to perform the new task. Then you’ll start hitting the limits of your muscles.

Old timey strongman vibes: These vibes are half the reason I like doing Turkish getups, if I am being honest.

Inquisitor on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've gone way off track the last month or so and I feel like I'm getting softer if not wider.

Guess it's chicken breast, rice and steamed veggies time for a while.

I also cut back on my time in the gym so I'm gonna have to crank that back up, too probably.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Still making (re)gains since getting back into the gym after a couple years away. Just managed a deadlift set of 380x7.

Possibly looking into getting squat shoes again. My cheapo DC skate shoes are passable but I miss the really solid, stuck to the ground feeling. And the heel, since all I do is front squat.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My Garmin watch battery looks like it's dying so with the sales going in this weekend I decided to get a new watch. Specially since I didn't want to risk my watch dying mid marathon..

Ended up splurging and getting the newest Forerunner.

Excited to try all the features.

• TruckerJTruckerJ Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I have seen Bowflex has a version of their (fairly popular) adjustable dumbbells that are like an adjustable kettlebell, but they do tend to run a little pricy

It's good price to quality though. You don't want to go too cheap on adjustables since cheap ones have bad locking mechanism(the main part where manufacturers try to save money on those).

For stuff like kettle bells and other heavy things check a used sporting goods store around you if you have one, I've found some really great deals at Play It Again sports lately.

edited November 2022
    Ahahah, phew, I ate just absolute gutter trash the last few days and have achieved a new record of 6 pounds of water weight

A big thank you to Burger's Priest for helping me to take it over the line with the Red Sea chili burger and Stern Fries (what seemed to be an entire goddamn onion soaked in special sauce on top of like 3 cups of fries)

I went from my current low record of 185.8 (hilariously lower than I achieved before getting to maintenance from my cut) on Thursday to 191.2 pounds today

Chase your dreams, friends

Cello on
    Steam
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, I have entered my most dreaded part of my marathon training.

Tapering.

I'm a creature of habit and even though I made tons of progress I still backslide into "can't miss a workout!” mindset.

So cutting back my miles this week and then even more next week will be torture. Not to mention my climbing sessions as well.

First day working out after a week off, the holidays, and having some kind of cold and I feel like burnt ass.

Also I have to cut it short because I'm already running behind and have to go do something.

This is why I can't make any progress anymore.

Ugh, following up thanksgiving x 2 with a good hour on the trainer and outside - just blarg.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My "gentle movement session" yesterday turned into a limit bouldering session on the comp wall, an hour of strength work, and at least an hour on the board. Nearly 5 hours in total.

I'm now fucking knackered. Probs gonna go climbing with some lamps tonight tho cos it's dry innit

Kyougu wrote: »

Tapering.

I'm a creature of habit and even though I made tons of progress I still backslide into "can't miss a workout!” mindset.

So cutting back my miles this week and then even more next week will be torture. Not to mention my climbing sessions as well.

People dont appreciate that its hard to rest. Takes quite a bit of confidence

Same reason why people hate deloading.

Numbers must go up! Why did I make the numbers go down?

(Gotta trust in the long term it makes the numbers go up the most).

edited November 2022
    TruckerJ wrote: »

It's good price to quality though. You don't want to go too cheap on adjustables since cheap ones have bad locking mechanism(the main part where manufacturers try to save money on those).

My personal opinion is that an adjustable Kettlebell is a waste of money no matter the build quality. 6 adjustments ranging from 8-40lbs is useless. If you want that range just buy a 35lb and a 20lb bell for cheaper. Fine adjustments will not be useful, the fiddling around with it will make you less likely to use it, and the build quality of a proper bell will be inherently better just by being a solid chunk of metal

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    Solar wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Tapering.

People dont appreciate that its hard to rest. Takes quite a bit of confidence

It was amazing when I got a heart rate monitor and forced myself to stay in zone 2. It's fucking hard to try more than a little but not very much.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Did leg machines today, and went up one plate on all of them (10 more lbs on each machine, except for the leg press which was 20lbs per plate). Apparently I've been just cruising for far too long on the previous weights and have been ready to move up, because holy fuck it was hard today.

Also, yesterday I did bi's and tri's again, but my friend did shoulders and I did a single one of the exercises she did to see if my shoulder was ready to start doing some work, and it was and now today my shoulders are pleasantly sore! I'm so ready to start working on my chest, back, and shoulders again! Going to take it a bit easy and just ease back into those routines though because I definitely don't want to hurt my shoulder again.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited November 2022
    Yeah, I’ve been doing long zone 2 walks and finding the right balance is tricky.

Though I think I might be targeting a different zone 2 than heart rate zone 2? Or maybe it’s different than the zone system cyclists use.

Too many zones.

Inquisitor on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I have a lot of trouble getting my heart rate up over and out of zone 2 while running. My legs generally become the limiting factor long before my heart and lungs do. I need to push kilometres down under 5 minutes to consistently hit zone 3, and my legs don’t really like doing that that too much. So I’m basically zone 1 and 2 all the time while exercising, barring races.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, I’ve been doing long zone 2 walks and finding the right balance is tricky.

Though I think I might be targeting a different zone 2 than heart rate zone 2? Or maybe it’s different than the zone system cyclists use.

Too many zones.

The zone 2 I'm referring to is from the 5-7 zone model (zones 6 and 7 are after VO2 max so they're mostly fleeting or theoretical)
    https://www.highnorth.co.uk/articles/cycling-training-zones

So roughly 60-65% Max HR.

The three zone model puts 60% of efforts or so in zone 2. Most of my training is more endurance focused, which means 1-2 days doing max effort workouts and as many days you can stand of zone 2 light effort.

• TruckerJTruckerJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

My personal opinion is that an adjustable Kettlebell is a waste of money no matter the build quality. 6 adjustments ranging from 8-40lbs is useless. If you want that range just buy a 35lb and a 20lb bell for cheaper. Fine adjustments will not be useful, the fiddling around with it will make you less likely to use it, and the build quality of a proper bell will be inherently better just by being a solid chunk of metal

I've had Bowflex adjustable dumbells only(no kettlebells) - it was okay-ish. A bit too wide for my experience. But it kinda was worth it during lockdown since it would sub a whole set of dumbells.
    Now that I can go to gym any day those kinda fell out of favor for me(once again, too wide to use those comfortably during most exercises, at least for me).

TruckerJ on
    I tried the Mountain Dog endorsed "dumbbell curls on an incline bench" last night and my arms are pretty lit up today. I used to hate direct arm training but I've decided that I want big arms more than I hate arm training so I'm throwing it in more.

I've had Bowflex adjustable dumbells only(no kettlebells) - it was okay-ish. A bit too wide for my experience. But it kinda was worth it during lockdown since it would sub a whole set of dumbells.
    Now that I can go to gym any day those kinda fell out of favor for me(once again, too wide to use those comfortably during most exercises, at least for me).

Yeah, the reason I mentioned the adjustable is that if you live in say a studio apartment, it might be worth the investment just to save space

Obviously having a whole selection of weights is ideal but it doesn't always make sense if you're trying to prepare for long-term exercising in a small space

Steam
    I’ve had a good time with adjustable dumbbells myself.

Never actually held an adjustable kettlebell though, I fear they may be weird to swing if the weight is off center though.

Speaking of T H E D I E T

Liver King has been outed as juiced out of his mind

Now I know what you're thinking. Yes, obviously? How could he possibly not be? And you're right. But did you know he was taking $15k worth of growth hormone a month

Unbelievable. Incredible. I love it.

That's just the power of his ANCESTOR SPIRIT and also those pinecones he ate that one time.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Went back to THE GYM yesterday. Did treadmill time until I got a sprain or like a muscle spasm around my ankle and switched to the bike.

Left nice and sweaty.