As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The App Store walled garden is not without its benefits, and not without its drawbacks.

Unlike Elon, who is all drawbacks.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    So afaict Musk clearly received a last warning on the subject of content filtration, and site moderation, and is trying some really last minute PR wank to try and claim that they kicked twitter off of the app store as retaliation for being memed on rather than cos of all the CSAM

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The 30% cut versus what Epic's store cut came up in the trial and Epic basically admitted they couldn't offer all the stuff Apple did because of their lower cut

Which was obviously a problem for Epic when Epic was arguing that Apple's cut was ridiculously high

Couscous on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The 30% cut versus what Epic's store cut came up in the trial and Epic basically admitted they could offer all the stuff Apple did because of their lower cut

Which was obviously a problem for Epic when Epic was arguing that Apple's cut was ridiculously high

Could or couldn't?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A head of lettuce
    So afaict Musk clearly received a last warning on the subject of content filtration, and site moderation, and is trying some really last minute PR wank to try and claim that they kicked twitter off of the app store as retaliation for being memed on rather than cos of all the CSAM

Is there any current evidence that apple has intentions of removing Twitter from the AppStore? The tweet above does not substantiate any of its claims.

Musk’s tweets so far are about Apple not advertising on Twitter (which is likely because Apple is just making a sound business move and expects a poor ROI on Twitter ads). Nothing involving App Store removal has come up, afaik.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah his moderation policies might run afoul of Apple eventually but not any sign they have yet.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Article on him calling CEOs to berate them over ad spending on twitter

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Article on him calling CEOs to berate them over ad spending on twitter

I'm reminded of when T who must not be named was yelling at Republican donors and chased them off from funding their 2020 efforts.

Also Freedom of Speech becoming mandatory to do speech on your platform Elon?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    Einzel wrote: »
    It's mad how he thinks that photo makes him look cool, when it just makes me think of a rich edgelord teenager

The caffeine free diet cokes have so much old dad falling asleep on the couch at 5pm energy for me.

Whoa who whoa... Look motherfucker we have lines ok.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The right regards freedom of speech not as the right to say things, but the right to an audience

It's not enough that they can say things, they must be able to say things without any repurcussion and also that you must listen to them

• Options

This is literally something that he could have easily known about from his former head of trust and safety
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/opinion/twitter-yoel-roth-elon-musk.html
    In my time at Twitter, representatives of the app stores regularly raised concerns about content available on our platform. On one occasion, a member of an app review team contacted Twitter, saying with consternation that he had searched for “#boobs” in the Twitter app and was presented with … exactly what you’d expect. Another time, on the eve of a major feature release, a reviewer sent screenshots of several days-old tweets containing an English-language racial slur, asking Twitter representatives whether they should be permitted to appear on the service.

Reviewers hint that app approval could be delayed or perhaps even withheld entirely if issues are not resolved to their satisfaction — although the standards for resolution are often implied. Even as they appear to be driven largely by manual checks and anecdotes, these review procedures have the power to derail company plans and trigger all-hands-on-deck crises for weeks or months at a time.
    Like this is such a well known thing that Apple and Google does that nobody who had any interest in knowing how social media companies worked would be surprised

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The right regards freedom of speech not as the right to say things, but the right to an audience

It's not enough that they can say things, they must be able to say things without any repurcussion and also that you must listen to them

Its fucking maddening how whiny piss baby they get about people simply not listening. Like my relatives pull this shit with me and that's why I don't talk to them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The Boring Company is currently ghosting a bunch of towns

The first indication there would be a problem should have been that it was a Musk company. The second indication should have been that the machine was named Godot

Couscous on
  • Options
    Man if only more people would clue in the guy is a grifty lying son of a bitch.

Like how inept has the media been covering him that they are just now noticing all the flim flam, this chicanery!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

The first indication there would be a problem should have been that it was a Musk company. The second indication should have been that the machine was named Godot

Goddamn fucking hack reality writers

• Options
    A head of lettuce
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Is there any current evidence that apple has intentions of removing Twitter from the AppStore? The tweet above does not substantiate any of its claims.

Musk’s tweets so far are about Apple not advertising on Twitter (which is likely because Apple is just making a sound business move and expects a poor ROI on Twitter ads). Nothing involving App Store removal has come up, afaik.

no, just an educated guess on the tweeter's part based on musk's prior behavior and general knowledge of how apple works, and one that was seemingly proven correct before we even reached the end of the page

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

This is literally something that he could have easily known about from his former head of trust and safety
    In my time at Twitter, representatives of the app stores regularly raised concerns about content available on our platform. On one occasion, a member of an app review team contacted Twitter, saying with consternation that he had searched for “#boobs” in the Twitter app and was presented with … exactly what you’d expect. Another time, on the eve of a major feature release, a reviewer sent screenshots of several days-old tweets containing an English-language racial slur, asking Twitter representatives whether they should be permitted to appear on the service.

Reviewers hint that app approval could be delayed or perhaps even withheld entirely if issues are not resolved to their satisfaction — although the standards for resolution are often implied. Even as they appear to be driven largely by manual checks and anecdotes, these review procedures have the power to derail company plans and trigger all-hands-on-deck crises for weeks or months at a time.
    Like this is such a well known thing that Apple and Google does that nobody who had any interest in knowing how social media companies worked would be surprised

Isn’t that why Parler and Truth Social keep/kept getting dropped from app stores

KalTorak on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That's literally hack writing tier jokes. Incredible.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Goddamn fucking hack reality writers

Honestly this feels like someone at Boring trying to let people know its bullshit and people being too dense to figure it out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A head of lettuce
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly this feels like someone at Boring trying to let people know its bullshit and people being too dense to figure it out.
    capitalism is an endless parade of naked emperors

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    capitalism is an endless parade of naked emperors

Honestly it feels overly cynical at times to keep seeing all these supposedly great men/institutions be proven to be hollower than a chocolate easter bunny, but here we are.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce

Anybody who has ever interacted with their app stores know how this works, and exactly how arbitrary and capricious they are.

I don't work in app development and I've read enough accounts of people getting banned, and especially in Google's ecosystem, subsequently losing access to their email that...come on dude.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

There's some pretty great in-passing snipes about innovation, too:
    The Hyperloop, a concept Mr. Musk revived based on a proposal from the 1970s, [...]
    Boring says it can improve tunneling speeds with fully electrified machines and by digging continuously, rather than stopping to assemble sections of the tunnel wall. The company also says angling machines in from ground level will help avoid the cost of first digging a shaft to launch the machine.

Veterans of the tunneling industry note that tunnel-boring machines have been electrified for decades, and that neither continuous construction of the tunnel lining nor digging in from aboveground is new.

• Options
    Most of the stuff Musk claims he or his companies have invented are decades old tech.

I recall people talk up space x reusable rockets, but those are not new either.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I can't help but laugh at just how out of his depth Musk is. You'd expect someone who's such a "tech genius" to have heard about the infamous Apple tax sometime before now but somehow it's escaped his notice until a month after he spent billions to buy a company that puts out an app on the App Store.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    he wanted to be Tony Stark but it’s slowly turning out that he’s the entire It’s Always Sunny gang, armed with Frank’s money.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    musk wants nothing more than attention and that's what he's getting

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    So there has been talk about whether Twitter will go away entirely or just be left to wallow like Livejournal and others. I think we may be at a point within the next week when Twitter is delisted from Apple and Google's stores and is functionally just gone. I don't think it's been a month yet

That would be one hell of a Tank a Huge Company Speedrun.

• Options
    edited November 2022

This is just going to be a bunch of boring stuff, including the arbitrary and stupid requests that Apple and Google make because even that is pretty boring and expected from them.

Plus Apple and Google going going "so how are you going to deal with with all those Nazis."

Alternatively, he never releases anything because he is bullshitting

Couscous on
  • Options
    A head of lettuce
    I can genuinely see apple delisting twitter, google less so

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I cannot wait until weird elon worshippers start smashing their thousand dollar phones

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    I cannot wait until weird elon worshippers start smashing their thousand dollar phones

Oh man please post those videos when it happens. I want to live like I'm on Caffeine pills in a 90s show.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    So there has been talk about whether Twitter will go away entirely or just be left to wallow like Livejournal and others. I think we may be at a point within the next week when Twitter is delisted from Apple and Google's stores and is functionally just gone. I don't think it's been a month yet

You could still view it on any internet browser

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

It'll be like when a bunch of gun worshippers took pictures of themselves pointing their guns at their junk and cocked it up by taking the wrong kind of shot

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

Only perverts use desktop mode, everyone knows this

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    as a pervert, can confirm.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

How dare you

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My assumption was that the goal was to get people who don't like guns to react strongly and then be able to make fun of them for not realizing that it's a toy video game gun (while also showing off his nerd cred or whatever)

I didn’t look closely and thought he’d been drinking and was thinking of using the gun on himself.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My assumption was that the goal was to get people who don't like guns to react strongly and then be able to make fun of them for not realizing that it's a toy video game gun (while also showing off his nerd cred or whatever)

I didn’t look closely and thought he’d been drinking and was thinking of using the gun on himself.

If only

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I

That is not how you maintain a dominant social media platforn

This discussion has been closed.