As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    ph blake wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    For the first time in my life I'm having trouble with a gym

Electric, to be specific
    her Mismagius Tera types into Electric, but still retains its Levitate skill, which means none of my Ground attacks can actually hit it

If I can't take advantage of STAB do I just need to find something that's resistant to Ghost and Electric moves and just hit it with whatever will work? Assuming I can outlast being confused every fucking turn
    See if any of your mons learn Smack Down (I know Nacli and Larvitar gets it fairly early), it lets you knock down flying types/Levitate users so they are vulnerable to ground moves
    Not sure if it's available by that point, but you could also Trick an Iron Ball onto it

EDIT: Nevermind, reading that this is only a available in the post game

Maddoc on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I was just gonna suggest throwing rocks at it but now I don't even know if Rock is super effective against Electric anymore

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I was just gonna suggest throwing rocks at it but now I don't even know if Rock is super effective against Electric anymore

Electric has never been weak vs Rock

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    My secret gym tactic was to keep going to the wrong places in the wrong order so my Fuecoco was super over-levelled and just used them to wipe every gym.

Not that the PvE is ever particularly difficult, but I saw the concept being floated of banning Fuecoco for Nuzlocke runs because of how efficient it is for the gyms/elite four

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I started out using Maschiff because she was a very stupid looking dog that I enjoyed but Mabosstiff has put in a lot of good work for me

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, I thought rock was good against electric and that rock was immune to electric for the longest time because basically every rock type is rock/ground so the two types just blended together in my head.

Technically the fossil pokemon are also rock/whatever but since those show up basically nowhere and maintained the usual grass type weakness I didn't notice, and I guess I just never tried to use electric moves on Aerodactyl?

I ate an engineer
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Not that the PvE is ever particularly difficult, but I saw the concept being floated of banning Fuecoco for Nuzlocke runs because of how efficient it is for the gyms/elite four

Fire/Ghost is a really good typing offensively and Torch Song means it gets stronger as it goes. It really has been amazing at taking stuff out.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i wound up solo sweeping Geeta with fuecoco purely because her sequence of mons allowed him to pretty much fully set up his spak

liEt3nH.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Geeta's lineup
    It definitely felt like a missed opportunity to have Glimmora in the lead to set up Toxic Spikes and Kingambit in the back for its self-buff. Maybe they thought that would be too much?

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

Throwing rocks is always an acceptable solution. To most problems.

And speaking of rocks, I recently learned that defense curl doubles the power of rollout and I'm basically Whitney with an Appletun, now.

Einzel on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    New Mario movie trailer tomorrow

mods i'm being threatened

• RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    Pokemon battle strategy is basically entirely lost on me. I love the games for the collecting aspect, and the battling is sort of a necessary evil to get to the post game so everything is unlocked and I can just start chucking Quick Balls at everything that moves. I think this game is going to be particularly fun for that.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i saw a tiktok once that was like

"oh yeah, i've been playing pokémon games since red and blue came out!"
    'oh, so you remember type strengths and weaknesses without having to look them up every time?'
    "no"

which, yeah same. especially with how the tcg combined so many game types into a few card types

all i remember is grass beats water, fire beats grass, eletric beats water, water beats fire

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    i got old between when g/s and x/y came out so this is the only one i can never seem to truly commit to memory
    t801yt5qn2a9.png

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    i saw a tiktok once that was like

"oh yeah, i've been playing pokémon games since red and blue came out!"
    'oh, so you remember type strengths and weaknesses without having to look them up every time?'
    "no"

which, yeah same. especially with how the tcg combined so many game types into a few card types

I know everything but fairy resistance consistently for some reason.
    Sometimes I forget steel doesn't resist dark anymore

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    i got old between when g/s and x/y came out so this is the only one i can never seem to truly commit to memory
    t801yt5qn2a9.png
    I will never understand what cruel impulse led them to make fairy resistant to bug. Had bug types not suffered enough?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »
    t801yt5qn2a9.png
    I will never understand what cruel impulse led them to make fairy resistant to bug. Had bug types not suffered enough?

I have a vague recollection of there being a Japanese trope of beetles as noble warriors, which is part of why they tend to resist the other "noble warrior" type, Fighting, and are super-effective against Dark (which I think is actually called "Evil" in Japanese). If we think of Bug as a "noble" alignment, it makes sense that it wouldn't be strong against Pokemon's nearest equivalent of a "light" or "holy" type.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I thought bug beat dark as a cute nod to Kamen Rider

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    ... Dark (which I think is actually called "Evil" in Japanese)...

Yeah, the English translations are pretty straight on the types except Dark from Evil, and Psychic from Esper (where Esper is from E.S.P.er - Extrasensory Perception-er).

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Umbreon is not evil it is a good boi you take that back Gamefreak

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Most dark types are not evil so much as they are kind of dicks.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    There are no bad Pokemon, only bad owners... no I'm receiving a large update, the previous was incorrect. Many Pokemon are deeply evil, it turns out.

That balloon kills children

edited November 2022

i barely touched those kids

Magic Pink on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Still the least evil ghost.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Still the least evil ghost.

Not even close... there's some completely benign ghosts like the starters and such.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Pokemon scarlet/violet spoiler
    Operation starfall is really the game wanting you to make some bullied kids day worse isn't it ?

Green Lantern on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Ok so regarding ghosts I'm there's a book about Ryme that seems to imply things
    Her rockruff died and she cried so much it came back from the dead as a Graveard( who is her DJ) this means ghost pokemon are in fact actual ghosts

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    all i remember is grass beats water, fire beats grass, eletric beats water, water beats fire

Also Psychic beats itself

Magic Pink wrote: »

Also Psychic beats itself

who amongst us

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Gold - When agitated, this Pokémon protects itself by spraying poisonous sweat from its pores.
    Silver - When darkness falls, the rings on the body begin to glow, striking fear in the hearts of anyone nearby.
    Crystal - On the night of a full moon, or when it gets excited, the ring patterns on its body glow yellow.
    honestly a lot of stuff makes sense when you realize that Umbreon was the poison type eeveelution that got changed to Dark. It's basically a blue-ringed octopus!

edited November 2022

Gold - When agitated, this Pokémon protects itself by spraying poisonous sweat from its pores.

i hear librarians do this too

Magic Pink on
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Neveron wrote: »
    Silver - When darkness falls, the rings on the body begin to glow, striking fear in the hearts of anyone nearby.
    Crystal - On the night of a full moon, or when it gets excited, the ring patterns on its body glow yellow.
    honestly a lot of stuff makes sense when you realize that Umbreon was the poison type eeveelution that got changed to Dark. It's basically a blue-ringed octopus!

Oh wow I didn't realize that had actually been confirmed when that Gold and Silver beta was leaked a few years ago. Makes perfect sense, those entries always felt weird because I don't think Umbreon learns a single poison type move (besides thing like Toxic which everyone gets).

Moth 13 on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Man, I just realized there's still no Dragon-type eevelution. C'mon, Game Freak. Just give us a Drakeon already. C'mooooon.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    FCD wrote: »
    Man, I just realized there's still no Dragon-type eevelution. C'mon, Game Freak. Just give us a Drakeon already. C'mooooon.

there's no ghost either

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Pokemon scarlet/violet spoiler
    Operation starfall is really the game wanting you to make some bullied kids day worse isn't it ?

not...really! I don't know if you've finished the plotline, but:
    it's about the director of the school realizing the school dropped the ball and recognizing that the kids did nothing wrong

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Grass should resist Fairy, that's my only type chart wish.

PaperLuigi44 on