As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I’ve had a good time with adjustable dumbbells myself.

Never actually held an adjustable kettlebell though, I fear they may be weird to swing if the weight is off center though.

I have an adjustable kettlebell! The Bells of Steel one, specifically. The plates inside it are much like barbell plates and so far it feels pretty natural. The plates push up to the top of the spindle inside and then you tighten them in place with a big nut (heh). They're not fully centered on the uh, equator I guess? But it does feel pretty balanced overall.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Speaking of T H E D I E T

Liver King has been outed as juiced out of his mind

Now I know what you're thinking. Yes, obviously? How could he possibly not be? And you're right. But did you know he was taking $15k worth of growth hormone a month

Unbelievable. Incredible. I love it.

I’m not sure how much growth hormone costs but that sounds like a lot.

Not surprised, of course, I’d also be surprised if he actually eats the diet he claims to eat.

But at this point I just assume that essentially every fitness influencer is on or has been on some sort performance level enhancer. I am concerned of the body images they put forward and the image issues they perpetuate for folks, especially folks that don’t realize what they are doing behind the scenes.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    DouglasDanger on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean on the one hand do we need any evidence, It's not debatable that he's juicing. Look at him. It'd literally be impossible for him to be natty

Still great goss though

edited December 2022

People are ridiculous.

So per that article his whole image was based around “ “ancestral lifestyle.” This program consists of nine “tenets,” one of which calls for a diet of “primal fare,” including animal lungs and testicles. ”

And he used this “as marketing for his online business, Ancestral Supplements, where you can buy capsules containing beef organs, fish eggs, bone marrow, and other animal products.”

Ah the most primal, ancestral behavior of all, mail order supplements.

Inquisitor on
    Yes, his whole schtick is hella cringe, or whatever we're saying now

He's not as obvious as a racist bigot asshole as Rogan but he definitely courts the same audience

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I could never quite tell if he was actually parody or not. He was so blatantly full of shit and absolutely juiced to all heck that when he was all "need a quick protein snack and you're short on time? Eat a whole cow brain!" Or whatever it's just like, this is delightfully stupid! Nobody can take this seriously, right?

Right?

Yeah he was more obviously bullshit than the satire but still very cringe worthy and toxic guy Dom what's his name

But he has a lot of followers

An embarrassing number of whom are also archery enthusiasts, that's the only reason I knew who the liver king was

edited December 2022
    I have been debating getting into archery and eventually bow hunting.

Not for any fitness gains though, more from an “ethical consumption of meat” perspective.

But I do live in an apartment and lack the freezer space to make it make sense, I think.

Inquisitor on
    Real Men™️ kill the deer by dropping down out of the trees and biting through their necks. Then they eat the antlers for the Primal Power it possesses.

Also the penis.

It's extremely important you eat the penis do not ask why just chew it up.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Real Men™️ kill the deer by dropping down out of the trees and biting through their necks. Then they eat the antlers for the Primal Power it possesses.

Also the penis.

It's extremely important you eat the penis do not ask why just chew it up.

I am but the deer keeps kicking me, this is really difficult

JtgVX0H.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    All of those "get back to the primal/ancestral/whatever" guys (and it feels like it's always guys) are so fucking stupid, like yeah let's get back to the good old days when everyone had a life expectancy of 45, you fucking dumb chump motherfuckers. I could never begin to comprehend what anyone found compelling about The Liver King and I couldn't be more delighted that his rise and fall was this fast, assuming he's fallen and stays down and golly let's hope so.

Edit: I don't usually like the videos on this guy's channel, he does a lot of "wonder if this celebrity/athlete/whomever is on steroids?!" kinds of videos, but this particular one on the Liver King has a nice little section on fitness industry snake oil salesmen between 13:00ish and 23:00ish that's worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKpmAGZQetc

Peen on
    Real talk I did see a few clips of his where his whole family were involved. He has like three kids and all of them were eating raw meat and you could tell they did not want to be there doing that. It's like the camera man also had a gun pointed at their dog or something off screen.

So if the dude truly was pumping fifteen g's worth of moose testosterone into his ass cheeks a month I hope his kids aren't like, being held captive in a basement and force fed bull sphincter because his testicles have retracted all the way up to where his brain should be.

edited December 2022
    He was caning a truly astonishing amount of HGH. 10 IUs a day

Solar on
    Solar wrote: »
    He was caning a truly astonishing amount of HGH. 10 IUs a day

Could you pretend I'm a child that doesn't know what any of that means, and break it down for me?

A particularly stupid child

JtgVX0H.png
    This is a good video explaining the basics of PEDs. HGH is the first one he talks about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxoqje1X7o

IU = International Unit and if I understand correctly is mostly used as a means of quantifying an amount of something that has an effect on the body. So like, 1 IU of Vitamin A is like, 1.2-1.4 IUs. But every vitamin or compound has different equations.

I think holmes was sucking about 4mgs of HGH per day.

Google tells me that's a lot but not necessarily insane for like, high end athletes. Is Liver King a high end athlete? I feel like walking around with chains around your neck doesn't count. Also a fun fact about PEDs is that it causes the muscle develops faster than the joints can acclimate to lifting those heavy loads. So some of those horrific muscle tear videos you see come from juiced up dudes lifting too much.

edited December 2022
    10 IUs of HGH is a truly astronomical amount

Like, unheard of from what people are saying

The muscle/tendon thing is mostly a myth. Your balls shrivelling definitely isn't though

Solar on
    Like if you took two fun sized Reese's cup foil wrappers and then you roll em up into a little ball and get em all smooth.

Like that.

Peen wrote: »
    All of those "get back to the primal/ancestral/whatever" guys (and it feels like it's always guys) are so fucking stupid, like yeah let's get back to the good old days when everyone had a life expectancy of 45, you fucking dumb chump motherfuckers. I could never begin to comprehend what anyone found compelling about The Liver King and I couldn't be more delighted that his rise and fall was this fast, assuming he's fallen and stays down and golly let's hope so.

Edit: I don't usually like the videos on this guy's channel, he does a lot of "wonder if this celebrity/athlete/whomever is on steroids?!" kinds of videos, but this particular one on the Liver King has a nice little section on fitness industry snake oil salesmen between 13:00ish and 23:00ish that's worth a look.

Hah, how funny, all of the people they showed as “reputable” fitness people are the ones I personally check out on YouTube. Guess my BS-radar is still working okay.

Also actually looking at the “9 ancestral tenants” of liver king they are… actually pretty boring and fine if you take them in moderation:

Sleep like a rock
    Eat like our ancestors
    Move like our ancestors
    Shield from dangers
    Connect to the earth
    Get Cold
    Get Sun
    Struggle, Fight, Win
    Bond with your tribe

Which like, yeah, take those at a sane level: sleep well, eat less processed sugar, go make some friends, get some sunlight. Sounds great.

Of course he has to be a goober about it and pound raw animal organs and PEDs.

Deal alert, Mark Bell's company is having an outlet sale where stuff is $10 off and that makes a variety of gear a pretty good price but it makes his compression cuffs $2 and they're my favorite elbow protection for pressing movements, it's an easy recommendation from me. If you do get some order down at least an inch from what the size chart says to get it tight enough.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I had never heard of that guy before just now and he is so immediately full of shit I can't believe (yes I can, of course I can) that anyone took him seriously or believed anything he said

When Joe fucking Rogan knows you're full of shit, you have truly fucked up

Peen wrote: »

Hah, how funny, all of the people they showed as “reputable” fitness people are the ones I personally check out on YouTube. Guess my BS-radar is still working okay.

Also actually looking at the “9 ancestral tenants” of liver king they are… actually pretty boring and fine if you take them in moderation:

Sleep like a rock
    Eat like our ancestors
    Move like our ancestors
    Shield from dangers
    Connect to the earth
    Get Cold
    Get Sun
    Struggle, Fight, Win
    Bond with your tribe

Which like, yeah, take those at a sane level: sleep well, eat less processed sugar, go make some friends, get some sunlight. Sounds great.

Of course he has to be a goober about it and pound raw animal organs and PEDs.

Get cold? Bro, he can get fucked. I hate the cold with a passion. I'm cold at work right now and my hands are so sluggish I can barely type and my fingers are almost numb and I would be fine if someone dumped gas on me and set me on fire right now. I feel like I'll never be warm again.
    It's only like 50F outside (though it was low 30s earlier!), but it was like 80F yesterday so my body can't acclimate. Plus these dickheads here have the air conditioning on like psychopaths.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2022
    It’s more intentional cold exposure type stuff, cold showers, cold plunges, ice baths, etc.

While it’s definitely not necessary to do, at all, there is a pretty decent and growing body of scientific articles indicating various benefits for what is essentially some zero costs practices (heck, you’ll even save a bit on your gas bill taking a cold shower over a hot one).

Again, no need to take it to any crazy extremes but taking a cold shower a couple mornings a week is a perfectly fine habit to have, if one is so inclined.

Inquisitor on
    That's b nice and all, but I'm gonna have to pass on that. I've spent my entire life trying to avoid ever being exposed to even a cool breeze, much less taking a cold shower on purpose.

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    That's b nice and all, but I'm gonna have to pass on that. I've spent my entire life trying to avoid ever being exposed to even a cool breeze, much less taking a cold shower on purpose.

Deliberate heat exposure also has some nice benefits too, if that is more your speed. Just get all sweaty and hang out in a sauna sometime.

Darmak wrote: »

Deliberate heat exposure also has some nice benefits too, if that is more your speed. Just get all sweaty and hang out in a sauna sometime.

Hell yeah, maybe get a nice hot rock to bask on and some bugs to eat

JtgVX0H.png
    There's this other weird rich comfy healthy probably fraudulent white people influencer thing about how almost freezing to death, on purpose, is actually awesome and good and the key to healthiness or some shit

Wim? Hoff? Huff? Was a popular media person for a while, she seemed like bullshit

There's this other weird rich comfy healthy probably fraudulent white people influencer thing about how almost freezing to death, on purpose, is actually awesome and good and the key to healthiness or some shit

Wim? Hoff? Huff? Was a popular media person for a while, she seemed like bullshit

Look, as long as sunning my butthole is still okay then I think I'm good

JtgVX0H.png
    The thing about all that stuff is that if it makes you feel good it's worth doing and if it doesn't it's probably not

The Liver King is just a giant douchebag charlatan who basically sells bullshit to people who desperately want to believe in something. Most of the fitness influencer world is bullshit with some minor exceptions like leanbeefpatty (largely because I'm head over heels in love with her)

Wim Hof, aka the Iceman. Some Dutch fellow that made his whole thing around getting really cold. Which, is kind of what always happens with these things, there are some core good ideas and data but then someone goes and makes it into a whole extreme lifestyle, cult of personality thing.

Like, you don’t need to go make pilgrimages to the arctic and swim for an hour in freezing water or whatever.

But, if sometimes you feel like taking a cold shower here and there because it helps wake you up, makes you feel good, or because you want to shiver some to help a bit with fat loss, well, it ain’t gonna hurt none and studies show it may help some so, go for it.

Or if getting in a cold shower wrecks your mood and makes the start of your day miserable, well, don’t! Go take a nice hot shower instead then.

Snake oil salesmen exist because doing things is hard. It's hard to be dedicated and eat right and workout. So when somebody comes along and says "hey I found the secret, it's a cheat, a hack, a trick that Big Fitness doesn't want you to know about" people go "oh shit yeah gonna give this a shot." Especially if it's quick and cheap because if you just don't have time to workout or really meal prep or struggle to make ends meet, buying healthy food (often at a markup) and gym memberships and workout gear can seem prohibitively expensive.

At best this shit is completely ineffective and at worst actively detrimental to your health (and wallet) if not downright dangerous. It takes advantage of desperate people. Anybody out here telling you they've got the answer to anything at all, all you have to do is just listen to them is full of shit and should be run out of town at the end of a rifle before they can finish talking.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

Like 'it might improve your health in certain metrics' or 'one weird trick to cure cancer' good for you? I remember reading that cold acclimatization (like shivering cold for days iirc) drastically improves insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetics.

On the other side you have hot baths and saunas and the like that raise body temperature offering benefits similar to exercise.

Kamar on
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Snake oil salesmen exist because doing things is hard. It's hard to be dedicated and eat right and workout. So when somebody comes along and says "hey I found the secret, it's a cheat, a hack, a trick that Big Fitness doesn't want you to know about" people go "oh shit yeah gonna give this a shot." Especially if it's quick and cheap because if you just don't have time to workout or really meal prep or struggle to make ends meet, buying healthy food (often at a markup) and gym memberships and workout gear can seem prohibitively expensive.

At best this shit is completely ineffective and at worst actively detrimental to your health (and wallet) if not downright dangerous. It takes advantage of desperate people. Anybody out here telling you they've got the answer to anything at all, all you have to do is just listen to them is full of shit and should be run out of town at the end of a rifle before they can finish talking.

And the thing is, they have found a hack

They're just pretending the hack is whatever bullshit they're selling and not the juice that they're using

I hate these fake natties man. I can't respect these guys who sell bullshit supplements and don't mention that hey I look like this cos I'm on gear. That's why.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cold can be enjoyable, but it's also a miserable thing to fight. It is one of natures clearest messages of "don't be here".

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Swole Woman is basically my one fitness influencer and her takes are "lift weights they're neat big ladies cool eat food thanks"

I follow a few folks of varying levels of annoyingness in their videos who have solid recipes but even then I'll see like "3g zero cal sweetener" in a recipe, roll my eyes, and get the actual sugar

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

Wim Hof, aka the Iceman. Some Dutch fellow that made his whole thing around getting really cold. Which, is kind of what always happens with these things, there are some core good ideas and data but then someone goes and makes it into a whole extreme lifestyle, cult of personality thing.

Like, you don’t need to go make pilgrimages to the arctic and swim for an hour in freezing water or whatever.

But, if sometimes you feel like taking a cold shower here and there because it helps wake you up, makes you feel good, or because you want to shiver some to help a bit with fat loss, well, it ain’t gonna hurt none and studies show it may help some so, go for it.

Or if getting in a cold shower wrecks your mood and makes the start of your day miserable, well, don’t! Go take a nice hot shower instead then.

He is also big into breathwork, and through some combination of the two you can trigger physiological responses the average person probably won't encounter anymore. Which can be fun, but probably isn't going to make you super saiyan or whatever.

There was a huge surge in 'wild' (ugh) swimming during the lockdowns because the pools were closed, which was then followed by a spate of cold-water evangelists. We have something called the mammalian dive response, which can be quite thrilling if you're not used to it, and repeated exposure to cold water increases your bodies percentage of brown fats. Brown fats seem to be a good thing, though not to the extent the previously mentioned evangelists were selling it as.

My takeaway from it all is that any mood enhancements gained from cold water exposure are probably as attributable to just doing something your body isn't used to, feeling a sense of achievement, and as there are quite often groups for dawn dips or polar bear clubs etc, a sense of comradeship.

Twice a week or so I finish my regular shower with 3-5 minutes of cold. Living where I do, and the water coming straight from the ground, it is really fucking cold. It triggers the dive response, and my skin feels nice afterwards, but I've been doing it long enough now that if it was going to instil the ANCESTRAL BEAR SPIRIT in me I would have noticed.

e: That was a bit of a ramble the TLDR is cold water is nice if you enjoy the sensation, but I don't think you're really missing out if you don't

CaptainBeyond on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm down to 160 lbs. Five weeks ago I was 170 lbs, that's an average of two lbs per week. Good stuff.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I'm down to 160 lbs. Five weeks ago I was 170 lbs, that's an average of two lbs per week. Good stuff.

I would consider slowing down slightly. One handy rule-of-thumb is to aim for no more than 1% of total body weight per week. But as it’s a rule-of-thumb, and not necessarily applicable to all people and circumstances, and I want to be clear that I’m not going “OMG TOO FAST.” I’m just suggesting that it might be worth considering slowing down to a goal of about 1.5 pounds per week. It may also help with the transition back to maintenance at the end, to not add calories back in all at once.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    You’re probably right. I’m eating about 1,400 calories a day which is what two different calorie calculators recommended for my height/weight. I’m happy with my progress, but my goal is to maintain a healthy diet and not go back to my old habits.