As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    They changed something and Charmanders are now tradable and you can use Charizard in raids. Im not sure if charizard itself is tradeable.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    How does one do these super raids? And do you need a level 100 Pokémon to compete?

I’m currently in the post-story gym rematches if that is anything.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    How does one do these super raids? And do you need a level 100 Pokémon to compete?

I’m currently in the post-story gym rematches if that is anything.

Beat that the next thing and about 12 raids of any level

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Gotcha

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Kanden wrote: »
    I was curious just how over-prepared we were. Went in solo with my Azumarill, literally just spammed play rough until it's pp was gone, then spammed aqua tail. Easily defeated the Charizard so that's good to know. I think that might be the play for solo raids, belly drum definitely ups dps but without some support it's way easy to die, lose the buff and chunk through your time.

This is really good to know. I'm always a little nervous about joining actual lobbies with potential assholes and/or people who just suck so I'm glad it isn't too hard. That said, I dunno if I'll get there in time for this first run. My stuff is still only ~level 60 range and I need to beat the elite 4 yet. I probably have to do whatever content is after all that stuff too to unlock these raids I'm guessing. We'll see what I get done over the weekend. Getting to 100 is honestly probably not that bad (it sounds like power leveling an Azumarill is the play - I had one I was using for quite awhile so it's probably at least ~30ish.. can pump it with XP candies I bet) but I dunno how long the content after beating the three main quests is.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've only just beaten the main game but I haven't even come close to being able to solo a 5 star raid. It's stupidly hard to present a pokemon that resists 3 types of attacks and has a super effective tera type itself. None of the level ~80s I used in the main story seem capable to succeeding at all, I'm going to have to breed competitive quality pokemon and grind them to 100, which is gonna take ages because the amount of XP candy you get seems a lot lower than Sw/Sh.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Joining random online raids gets you tons. If you get 4 star or below, usually someone else has killed it before you even choose a move. If a 5 star raid, use the Cheers to help out if you don’t think your ‘mon can hang. (5 stars are 75)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    So someone linked me to a video showing a consistent strategy for soloing the 7* Charizard raids, which I'll put in spoilers (does showcase a potential spoiler pokemon):

Basically it uses a fairy pokemon and abuses Draining Kiss/Calm Mind/Fake Tears, with Moonblast to speed things up. It only wipes your buffs once in the battle, around the time when it puts its shield up, and it never clears its own debuffs after the beginning of the fight (although it becomes immune to Fake Tears once the shield is up, so try to use it two or three times beforehand). This makes it pretty easy, honestly, and repeatable if you change the clock on your Switch ahead a day to respawn raids. Some of the guaranteed rewards are 1-time only, but you still get an absolute slew of xp candies every time, plus calciums, modest mints, and dragon tera shards. Note that this raid does not drop HMs.

There are definitely other methods of consistently soloing it, as well, but this is the first one I saw and I can definitely confirm that it works.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I'm glad I went through the effort to farm up 50 poison shards, cause this choice specs tera poison Hydregion is working even better than I thought it would. Originally just added him cause I wanted to click specs draco meteor (I just think it's neat), but levitate is a nutty ability in a terastilize format. Loses a bunch of nasty weaknesses and only gets a psychic weakness in return, but psychic type coverage is rare and no actual psychic types want to deal with a fast specs dark pulse. Also immune to chomp EQ (only major threat that naturally outspeeds you, plus you can run it alongside your own chomp), and I won literally 4 games in a row to Grimmsnarl + X leads turn 1 spirit breaking my Hydregion slot while I clicked Tailwind + poison tera blast.

Only got to play 7 or so games last night, but looking forward to messing around more this weekend and seeing how it holds up

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Do you need a level 100 pokemon trained up to do good in level 7 raids? Sorry if this sounds redundant to ask, but I don't think I fully understood one of the prior answers regarding this.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Without support even the Azumarils can dead in 2 turns even without belly drumming. You need all the stats you can because charizard just starts throwing out the dmg. Its not all that rough to get the candies to 100 something.

Jubal77 on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Do you need a level 100 pokemon trained up to do good in level 7 raids? Sorry if this sounds redundant to ask, but I don't think I fully understood one of the prior answers regarding this.

Yes, you want a level 100 pokemon for 6* and 7* raids

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah with 6 and 7* raids you also probably want to hyper train and to EV as well.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    These raids sure do suck the fun out of pokemon. 'You must be this level and you must use this pokemon and you must use these moves.'
    My friends refuse to let me join their raids unless I join Playstation chat and do everything they say.
    Weird ass gatekeeping and for what the most overrated pokemon? It's boring

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    These raids sure do suck the fun out of pokemon. 'You must be this level and you must use this pokemon and you must use these moves.'
    My friends refuse to let me join their raids unless I join Playstation chat and do everything they say.

Your friends aren't being very cool friends!

Unless those are actual game restrictions I dunno how the online stuff works.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean they're optional content for players who have wrung everything else out of the game. there's a bunch of other lower-level raids if you enjoy the raid experience but haven't yet wound up with a max level guy

liEt3nH.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    You could always solo it with 3 NPCs. Raids go from 1-6 (normally) with varying levels the Pokemon you're battling will be based on those stars. It seems like a fairly normal type of progression like the rest of the game? Just as a singular Pokemon?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I went and spent a bunch of money on clothes and backpacks instead of stat items. Like you do.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I dunno I shoved a bunch of candies of an azumarril taught it helping hand joined a random raid and just assisted a flutter mane who moon blasted it to death in 3 hits.
    Now I have two level 100 pokemon that I did nothing to gain and the whole experience leaves me feeling bitter and hollow.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

Your friends aren't being very cool friends!

Unless those are actual game restrictions I dunno how the online stuff works.

It's not really an actual restriction, but the raids are so overtuned that it's essentially a requirement. It's very easy for one unprepared person to make the raid unrecoverably impossible for everyone else. If you don't want that experience I would play solo because the AI helpers don't reduce the timer when they die.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I went and spent a bunch of money on clothes and backpacks instead of stat items. Like you do.

Wait what where do I buy clothes

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »

Wait what where do I buy clothes

I got some bad news.

You still gotta wear a school uniform. But you can wear daft punk helmet with it

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i want to graduate from this academy so i can wear regular clothes again T__T

Can anyone sling me an egg for Quaxley and Sprigatito?

Or any violet players willing to open a multi session so I can run around and catch version exclusives?

sig.gif
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Do you have to do something special to unlock the Charizard raid? I've finished the story and did the pokeportal update news thing, but all the glowing raids I found are 5 star, I think maybe one was 6 star. Now I have no glowing raids or dragon raids available, and no Charizard.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Do you have to do something special to unlock the Charizard raid? I've finished the story and did the pokeportal update news thing, but all the glowing raids I found are 5 star, I think maybe one was 6 star. Now I have no glowing raids or dragon raids available, and no Charizard.

Did you finish the post-game?
    You need to re-do all the gym leaders and the tournament. Also a certain number of 4 or 5 star raids to unlock 6 star raids. Once you have 6 stars unlocked, Charizard should be available

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    I've individually EV trained HP on three different mons today

Should have planned this

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Did you finish the post-game?
    You need to re-do all the gym leaders and the tournament. Also a certain number of 4 or 5 star raids to unlock 6 star raids. Once you have 6 stars unlocked, Charizard should be available

Thanks, it must be that I need to do more raids first.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Loving snowscape on Cetitan.

This move is going to open up things a lot for Ice types to wreck some stuff.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile

People maybe over thought Charizard but going into a raid with a plan isn't a bad idea. Gamefreak is still trying to find a sweet spotand it shows
    Dynamax raids were boring and slow
    Terra raids are probably a little to easy to screw up sometimes it's not even up to you

5 star raid against a slowbro that spammed yawn sure was fun. Still had 50% left when we ran out of time after missing most of our turns.

sig.gif
    How do y’all feel about Maushold as a way to remove hazards?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

People maybe over thought Charizard but going into a raid with a plan isn't a bad idea. Gamefreak is still trying to find a sweet spotand it shows
    Dynamax raids were boring and slow
    Terra raids are probably a little to easy to screw up sometimes it's not even up to you

I will say that Dynamax raids at least worked with GameFreak's shitty netcode. Tera Raids are goddamned mess. Twice while doing the Charizard raids my game got stuck at a heal cheer for a solid minute. One advantage of doing them solo is not only do allies dying not reduce the timer, but you don't have to worry about desyncing either.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I wish people who join my raids and see me Hosting with Iron hands would stop bringing their fucking Azumarill and Iron hands themselves.

Literally bring anything else. Better yet bring something with screech. If you do a single screech i will OHKO the raid boss with my set up.

What you're getting trying to set up belly dance is half your health gone because the way it works so long as i'm not afk i will have it set up first and it will force the boss into a shield phase and remove all of our debuffs.

Azumarill are the worst because nobody is running a shell bell so they just belly drum and die.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    How do y’all feel about Maushold as a way to remove hazards?
    The way I feel about Maushold is the entire thing is a tool to bring gods to their knees.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I am loving this game so much!

Every Pokemon game has that one Pokemon that annoys you because it appears everywhere...in this one, it's that stupid grasshopper pokemon. They are everywhere and are so annoying!

Yeah, that one, and Golduck for water areas. Why are there so many Golducks?

I have to say that S/V is an...interesting game. It's probably the best Pokemon game they've made in years, but it's also a 7/10 open world RPG with enough slow-down and pop-in to drop it to a 6/10. Game Freak has a good understanding of what players want, but there's just something wrong there where they can't seem to deliver it from a design or technical standpoint. Spoilers for details.
    I think my biggest gripe with the game from a design perspective is the map. In BotW, you could easily tell where most of the shrines were because they were invariably relatively evenly spread out and/or near interesting and obvious landmarks. S/V, by contrast, does not communicate potential points of interest that you haven't been to if there isn't a Pokemon Center there. So there's a bunch of stakes and rare Pokemon end up being wild goose chases, and potentially interesting areas have bupkis.

Speaking of rare Pokemon, the rarity of Pokemon is weird as hell. I have seen FAR more wild Dragonites in this game than Slakoffs. How does that make sense?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    @Zython I think your spoiler tag has an S too many

As for the pokemon you mentioned
    Dragonite has a couple of static spawns, but very rare outside those

Slakoth is only found in trees I think. Look up in trees or hit them with your bike in areas it's supposed to be found

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Did the first Herba Mystica mission. Not really a lot to that mechanically, huh? Saw someone earlier saying how Low Kick does huge damage here because it's weight-based, worked like a charm.

On to the Grass gym.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited December 2022
    Zunde wrote: »
    I wish people who join my raids and see me Hosting with Iron hands would stop bringing their fucking Azumarill and Iron hands themselves.

Literally bring anything else. Better yet bring something with screech. If you do a single screech i will OHKO the raid boss with my set up.

What you're getting trying to set up belly dance is half your health gone because the way it works so long as i'm not afk i will have it set up first and it will force the boss into a shield phase and remove all of our debuffs.

Azumarill are the worst because nobody is running a shell bell so they just belly drum and die.

I've gotten to the point where if they bring in a Miraidon or Koraidon I cancel the the raid or leave it. Bringing a sun setter against Charizard I mean come on

King Riptor on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    me and my friends have discovered you can double up on catching a shiny spawn in union circle. you want to figure out who it spawned for, save, have the other person catch it, then have the person that spawned it reset their game and when they load in it will be literally right in front of them.

there were three of us so what we've been able to tell over a couple of attempts at it; it will be there if the person who spawned it resets. it will not be if either other player resets. As far as we could tell there's not a way to let a 3rd person catch it.

also we discovered this randomly because one of us saved in front of a palafin we were hunting last night then turned the game back on this morning and caught it (that i had caught in the multiplayer last night). Today we actively tested it and got shiny rotoms

initiatefailure on