As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2022
    I know what Goncharov is! Just the overall post sounded funny and made me think of that picture sitting on my phone

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    I goncharoved before it was cool.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Just caught the Guardians Holiday Special and I thought it was great. I love Karen Gillian as Nebula. She's the best.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I found some production stills from the new movie, Cocaine Bear

b44gwoxfoauw.jpeg

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Just caught the Guardians Holiday Special and I thought it was great. I love Karen Gillian as Nebula. She's the best.

Nebula has one of the most meaningful arcs in the entire MCU. Just where she started, her relationship to Thanos and Gamora, the reconciliation in Guardians 2, and then culminating in Infinity War / Endgame. Just quietly simmering along in the background.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

wait hold on, people like good movies instead of endless soulless garbage?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am shocked, shocked to discover there's diminishing returns on 100 bad superhero movies a year

BahamutZERO.gif
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I am shocked, shocked to discover there's diminishing returns on 100 bad superhero movies a year

I am the exact audience for these movies. I've read almost the entire output of most mainline marvel comic series, and a shitload of related nonsense and I just genuinely enjoy superheroes. And I've stopped really paying attention to the releases until several people have said "no this one was actually really cool". And cripes I kinda want to watch She-Hulk because people said the last episode got weird, but otherwise I've mostly ignored the series.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

I don't know if any single movie was bad, but none of them were great. I think mostly okay to good. And there's one like every twelve weeks.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I am the exact audience for these movies. I've read almost the entire output of most mainline marvel comic series, and a shitload of related nonsense and I just genuinely enjoy superheroes. And I've stopped really paying attention to the releases until several people have said "no this one was actually really cool". And cripes I kinda want to watch She-Hulk because people said the last episode got weird, but otherwise I've mostly ignored the series.

She-Hulk is legitimately the best Marvel series on Disney+

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I don't know if any single movie was bad, but none of them were great. I think mostly okay to good. And there's one like every twelve weeks.

Yeah, this is my feeling with most MCU content. None of it is unwatchably terrible, but very little of it is elevated. The vast majority ranges in the mediocre.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Shrug. I've enjoyed all of it. But I'm definitely of the opinion they can ease off the gas. Take some more time with each one.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Shrug. I've enjoyed all of it. But I'm definitely of the opinion they can ease off the gas. Take some more time with each one.

None of it is bad, but the biggest problem is the interconnectedness fucking stuff up and everything being written for that. Then the reliance on cgi so they can shoot fast and the cgi teams not being able to good work in the time table given.

There's been nothing in the last series of movies that reaches the highs of the worst movies before Endgame.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I haven't watched a Marvel movie since Endgame, a movie I didn't really like but at least wasn't godawful terrible like Infinity War was

eternals was boring and messy and love and thunder was fucking dire

edited December 2022
    also soldier and bird wasn't just bad, it was cowardly

PiptheFair on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Subjectivity, it's wild.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have found none of the Marvel stuff to be great since Endgame, but none of it has been abject garbage yet either

The problem is that the market is so saturated with mediocrity that it dilutes any enthusiasm I might have for any new production, no matter who is in it or who is making it. I should have been there day one for a Sam Raimi Dr. Strange film! But because of how these things are produced, that wasn’t an event for me anymore, that was just one in a slate of a bunch of other Marvel movies that I couldn’t get excited for

The only one I’m at all interested in is Guardians 3, but that’s only because I think Guardians 2 is secretly the best MCU movie and The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker both totally owned! And even that doesn’t get me as excited as the thought of whatever that Batman sequel is gonna look like, in terms of superhero stuff!

So yeah, I think slowing down and giving projects both room to breathe and room for passionate filmmakers is the only way they can keep this train rolling

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eternals was boring and messy and love and thunder was fucking dire

Thinking back on how boring Love and Thunder was. It was the same arc Thor has been through...twice before?

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

Considering one of rhe biggest "fan criticisms "of phase 4 being the lack of "and this is building to this" for more of a individualized thing (not that it actually feels all that individualized) this is probably more of refocus to make them more soulless garbage not less. To the point where you don't even need directors.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I'll believe it when they stop scheduling these things for release every three months.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Considering one of rhe biggest "fan criticisms "of phase 4 being the lack of "and this is building to this" for more of a individualized thing (not that it actually feels all that individualized) this is probably more of refocus to make them more soulless garbage not less. To the point where you don't even need directors.

The problem is they are all building to something, but its all very small pieces and they disrupt the major story to build to that without being interesting.

also soldier and bird was wasn't just bad, it was cowardly

It was both!

It was both!

I believe that's what Pip meant

This is your reminder that Violent Night is the greatest Christmas movie ever made.

edited December 2022
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It was both!

yeah, dyslexia strikes again

EDIT :(mine btw, not being an asshole here)

PiptheFair on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I got a YouTube ad for Love and Thunder that was just a clip from the movie and I genuinely thought it was a Skittles ad it was so awkward and bad

Coinage wrote: »
    I got a YouTube ad for Love and Thunder that was just a clip from the movie and I genuinely thought it was a Skittles ad it was so awkward and bad

Honestly, giving Thor Skittlepox was a little too overt for product placement.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The shrine scene in Love and Thunder feels like it's lifted directly from the David Drake short story The Butcher's Bill.

Carpy on
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It was both!

yeah, dyslexia strikes again

EDIT :(mine btw, not being an asshole here)

You are allowed to be an asshole to me I wouldn't hesitate to you. Consider carte blanch.
    Blache your asshole

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I'm not ashamed to say there were a lot of bits about Love and Thunder that I liked a lot

But man it was just tonally all over the fucking place, and the actual main conflict felt almost tacked on to me

Like I genuinely think the entire Thor franchise would have been/would be better as a Monster of the Week recurring TV series

"Scooby Doo but it's live-action Thor with a budget" would be so good

Houk the Namebringer on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    TV format is inherently better suited to comic book stories, even though everyone seems to want to do the "six hour movie" format these days

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Falcon and the Winter Soldier had a lot of great character work, but it was indeed pretty cowardly.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    This is your reminder that Violent Night is the greatest Christmas movie ever made.

How does it compare to say, a Krampus? Can David Harbour dethrone Bill Goldberg as the go ass kicking Santa Clause, also? Important questions.

Cristoval on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Falcon and the Winter Soldier had a lot of great character work, but it was indeed pretty cowardly.

That stupid show accidentally made their villains 100% right and justified, and they clearly didn’t realize it until near the end so they had to swerve hard and have them randomly murder people for absolutely no reason so no one would get confused.

The stuff with Bucky was fun, and Sam’s family. But the main plot is probably one of the worst things marvel has ever done.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Do people actually watch The Polar Express? There's a WB ad about owning the holiday classics in 4K UHD with clips from Elf, Christmas Vacation, Christmas Story, and Polar Express. That can't be right.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, my family loves The Polar Express. Seriously.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My parents watch The Polar Express.

I always seem to catch the last bit of it in the North Pole which is absolutely dark and desolate and hideous.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I love the idea of the polar express. A cozy holiday train where you can drink hot choco and have hijinks with a haunted hobo on the roof of your rail car, and for some reason they got an adult to voice one of the kids in the same manner as Dexter’s rival. But all human scenes are completely off putting, and not even in a “this is the best we could do at the time way”. Just the wrong creative choices made on em at every turn. Repulsive business.

But it’s still has a warm blanket quality to it I return to.

A Christmas Carol utilizes the tech little better, save for some characters who just look bland as hell. Like you are using CG and could make them look like anything but choose the most boring attributes on the create-a-character slider. But I love it plays it completely straight but then throws a bunch of wiz-bang “isn’t it cool this is in 3D??” shots that age it terribly in a post 3D-tv world.

What I’m saying is Robert Zemeckis needs to be stopped maybe.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    polar express the book accomplishes what the movie tried to much better I think

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.