As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I understand doing that for competitive ladder, that seems common, but for the other game modes it just seems like you're making the game feel smaller for many people.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Shit, do people remember the en-masse of match leavers second Paris loaded in? You'd have entire teams get replaced twice-over before the attack doors even opened.

But Push? That is not a game mode for feeling good. It makes people feel bad in the same way 2CP did, but losing at Push feels more exhausting, drawn out, and I have to walk way too far to get back to my robot. And it seems far more punishing to people trickling in than 2CP did.

At least with 2CP the defeat was swift as fuck and I could move on to a non-2CP map, just roll about in Blizzard world and have a merry day.

Zek wrote: »
    They're doing map rotations now, S2 will feature different maps. I don't like the idea, I don't think this is going to meaningfully increase hype for S2. It just means players have less content.

Map rotation will include all the maps that still aren't in Overwatch 2? I'd fucking love to play Rialto again, y'know? That map slaps! Having map rotations extend beyond Ranked, though? Completely stupid. Another knock against this game. We not only lost Overwatch, but we lost like 6 great maps.

There are so many people in this thread that immediately jump to the worst possible scenario. Is this not a game you enjoy? If not, why are you still playing it? If you do enjoy it, then how about a little optimism? Being negative all the time just seems like it would be so tiring.

Blizzard literally replaced the game I loved and played for 6 years straight. I cannot even ignore Overwatch 2 and go back to Overwatch and blissfully ignore this bullshit.

You bet your ass I'm gonna begrudgingly play this new game and shit on Blizz every chance I get. After the tidal wave of fuck-ups from Blizzard in the past few years (both internal power structure abuses and the actual game products), and how badly they bungled Overwatch 2 in nearly every aspect, I really do not fault folks for being critical about news on the game.

You can half-hate a game and be pissed off about it and still play. Fortunately the core game play loop is still quite good. However no one who originally built that is around anymore on the team.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear, my comment was more about the folks (and we have a few) that have been aggressively shitting on the game almost since OW1 the day released, complaining about "broken" (who almost never are) heroes or smurfs/cheaters every time they lose a match to a good player, complaining about heroes that haven't been released yet, complaining about minor balance changes and then complaining again when another balance change reverts the thing they were just complaining about, etc. etc. I didn't have you in mind when I posted that.

As someone who's been playing since OW1 release day I completely agree that there is a whole lot to complain about re: the overall changes they've made for OW2. That's not the kind of thing I'm referring to, and no offense meant if it came off like that. There are just a few regulars here that only come here to complain, I've mentioned before and put them on ignore, only to make the poor life choice of sometimes opening a post to see if maybe there's something I can engage with.

Anyway, that's on me for letting my frustration at it get the better of me and I'll try and not stink up the thread with it going forward.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    However no one who originally built that is around anymore on the team.

Do we have a citation on this?

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    You can half-hate a game and be pissed off about it and still play.

Just so.

All my married friends love their spouses. I hear very few positive stories about their spouses. And I love Overwatch, but I'm not here to suggest it's perfect. FFS, Overwatch will lure gamers to help inflate its Twitch stream numbers in exchange for digital baubles. That it may just decide not to deliver. (I feel so sorry for these folks.) And it keeps nerfing my main. In many ways, it's an abusive relationship.

But it also lets me one-clip supports and Tracer-moonwalk my way through entire teams, on a good day. It lets me sneak up on Junkrats, and all the inherent joys that brings, so I don't think I'll be divorcing it any time soon.

Look at these poor Junkrats.

https://youtu.be/DNOTN1RXR2I

Why do I stay? He makes me laugh.

But these skin prices are fucking bonkers.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I had to seriously ask myself if Overwatch 2 was still in beta. My brain can see a world where games in Beta offer Battle Passes. I can see it.

Okay fuck it let's review Overwatch 2 since the Battle Pass is done in a week.

Positives
    - Game is usually pretty darn fun to play, and all the cool Heroes I enjoy feel just as good as before
    - Game is pretty to look at and had nice graphical upgrades
    - New maps are fun, and my hometown of Toronto got a map, so that that was cool (this is a biased review)
    - Heroes are fun to listen to as they quip at each other and continue to ooze character
    - Most Heroes are fairly well balanced and nothing feels like total bullshit
    - Kiriko is a pretty cool new Fox Murder Machine

Miditives
    - Battle Pass is just okay. It's better than some and worse than others. Every game with online does them now, so just live with it.
    - They did something weird with the aim. Blizzard won't admit it but we're not crazy, right?
    - Balance Updates to game are just as slow as ever, but maybe meaningful updates to come with each season?
    - NEW GAMEMODE: PUSH - feels bad. I don't have fun winning like at all, or losing at this mode. I play Push and I get grumpy. I play Mercy or Lucio because they're so positive and I still feel grumpy. Push just feels wrong and everyone in this thread is right, but said it better. I hate walking across the map over and over.
    - Sojourn is an oppressive cheese asshole full of bullshit (I lied earlier), but fun to play

Negatives:
    - Overwatch is literally gone. The game no longer exists. It was smothered with a pillow for this new game to exist. That big time sucks.
    -Tank queues, or: If you don't like Open Queue then good luck getting to play the new tank Ramada Hotel anytime soon
    - Skins cost 20$. What the fuck? Charge 5$, like sane people. It's as bad as Apex and I have no self control in that one game already.
    - On Fire was dope, why kill it?
    - Group Finder gave the game a social lifeblood, why kill it?
    - The game menus are a confusing nightmare
    - The ranking system is an increasingly obtuse mess
    - 5 absolutely certified 'Very Good' maps are gone - Rialto, I miss you dearly
    - New characters require extensive free Battle Pass grind, or purchase of a Battle Pass
    - Junker Queen isn't very good right now. She's a fun idea and a wet noodle and too small

Overwatch 2 Review Score - 6.75/10 - See me after class

However no one who originally built that is around anymore on the team.

Do we have a citation on this?

This is just how the video game industry works though, isn't it? Most studios and teams have massive turnovers. Sure, Blizzard was legendarily a long-haul developer because people were paid well, treated well, had a tight culture, and were the best of the best making the instantly classic, international best-seling video games, but even they had large turnovers because making games is very taxing on the body and soul as a full-time gig.

Lots of Blizzard's top leadership departing over the last decade definitely affected company culture and signalled shifts, but maybe for the better; but let's not forget the very recent, lawsuit-spawning controversies involving like stolen breast milk and pervy men creepily huddled under desks. Also COVID saw large shifts in careers, and early retirements in every industry.

I mean Overwatch 1 came out over six years ago. That's a long ass time to work at any company, especially a video game or tech company.

They kept their Art and Technical Director, yes, and the assistant Game Director is in charge, but they still feel hobbled currently. If it isn't a question of stuido capability and/or culture, then the economic demands of an online shooter in 2023 suffocate some of the best aspects of Overwatch, and that's a mega bummer.

If it is the same people then I have one message: BRING BACK HAVANA, YOU COWARDS.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    I would play a 24/7 Payload playlist. Just make Overwatch 3 about bringing payloads to places. Have two teams trying to move opposite payloads. Have AI payloads.

Just fucking give me more payloads maps. They are the best, the most fun, the best vibes, the greatest team fights.

But no, robot babysitting MOBA sim gamemode instead.

When I play Push I get the same feeling as when I watched Steven Spielberg's 2001 film A.I. Artificial Intelligence with a bad head Cold.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I
    Positives[/]
    - Most Heroes are fairly well balanced and nothing feels like total bullshit

Counterpoint: Sombra
    Miditives
    - Sojourn is an oppressive cheese asshole full of bullshit (I lied earlier), but fun to play

Super fun to play! Dropped a disrupter shot at my feet yesterday to when a Reaper was using wraith form to get in close to me and made him regret it. Super satisfying!

Her ult does feel super weird though since if forces you to slow down to fire pure charged shots, though maybe that’s because I always expect it to be Soldier’s ult.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I was excited for Push mode when I first heard about it. Payload is the best mode, and Push is just that except more dynamic where teams can constantly switch up attacking and defending! The robot moving faster when not pushing helps comebacks!

It was 3 minutes into my very first Push map when I started feeling how wrong I was. Gave me flashbacks to looking forward to Phantom Menace and The Matrix sequels forever, then sitting down in the theater and slowly realizing, "Oh no....oh nooooooo...."

The 5-10% of the time you actually make a big comeback isn't worth the snowball slog of the other 90-95%.

P.S. - The "every new hero is busted OP at launch and they are also super expensive but will coincidentally be nerfed at the same time they get discounted" approach was exactly how they handled Heroes of the Storm new hero releases, where you had to pay for each new one.

P.P.S. - I still hate the stupid new overdone lighting and wish I could just turn it all off and go back to "worse" OW1 graphics. OW1 maps stuck to clear blue day skies or clear black night skies for a reason. None of the "moar lighting = moar better" OW2 designers stopped to wonder why setting maps during glaring sunrise or glaring sunset might be a bad idea.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Having played wayyyy too much Marvel Snap lately, I want to see a hero that can instantly summon a teammate to their position. I'm sure they'd have to have some kinda handshake thing so players didn't immediately hate them but this would be a nice way to get people back to point quickly if they can stay alive in the back field

• Options
    It's official - Rammatra's ult does not reduce enemy damage by 50%.

Phew.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Having played wayyyy too much Marvel Snap lately, I want to see a hero that can instantly summon a teammate to their position. I'm sure they'd have to have some kinda handshake thing so players didn't immediately hate them but this would be a nice way to get people back to point quickly if they can stay alive in the back field

literally an ability in World of Warcraft for priests. kirikos is the same ability they gave to Warriors i think also (jump to a teammate)

• Options
    those are some nice skins, too bad, the prices are going to be insane.
    https://youtu.be/rEJVOxzjyQ0

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    those are some nice skins, too bad, the prices are going to be insane.
    https://youtu.be/rEJVOxzjyQ0

The Tracer Newsie skin was shown in the battle pass section, so I'm hoping it's unlockable. If it's twenty bucks in the shop, I'll just keep on wearing Rose.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Pretty much what we expected, no surprises other than the Olympus game mode which seems like it gives everybody wacky weapons. Looks good overall. I think a lot of people are going to have their willpower tested on these skins. I think $20 is too much, but I have to admit that for the right skin on the right hero, I'll pay it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    oh, I get it now..... the limited time modes are just to try and make you buy themed skins. And I guess JQ is going to get a buff to push her new skin.

Skins look good, but not at OW2 prices.

edit: Shambali shows they can easily repurpose all the 2CP maps to something better, that's just Nepal assets and a change of day. Paris Hybrid, get a newbie to mock it up.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    oh, I get it now..... the limited time modes are just to try and make you buy themed skins. And I guess JQ is going to get a buff to push her new skin.

That seems pretty unfair, obviously they want you to buy the skins, that's their entire business model. But the limited time mode isn't particularly doing anything to push cosmetics. It's just a fun thing for people to play which they hope will drive mid-season retention.

Pretty sure they've acknowledged JQ needs some help and were going to buff her regardless. It's not like only the Mythic heroes receive buffs. Genji got a major mid-season nerf.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23878812/
    Both metrics and player feedback have shown Sojourn dominating the highest tiers of Competitive ranks while remaining a challenge for players without the same mechanical skills. To address the high-skill feedback, we’ll be focusing on the lethality of her Rail Gun at distance for Season 2, encouraging players to make use of Sojourn’s high mobility to close the distance for the more devastating right-clicks.

Doomfist is receiving significant changes that better support his role as the team’s front line, while still maintaining the playstyle core to his Hero identity. You can also expect adjustments for Ana, Bastion, Junker Queen, Kiriko, Mercy, and Symmetra when we release this new update on December 6.

Curious what they're doing with Doomfist, those are kind of contradictory statements - Doomfist's original playstyle was certainly not to be the team's front line.

Zek on
  • Options
    JQ is perfectly fine where she is, she is what a battle tank should be. Some bail out potential, right amount of team boost, the knife is really good when you play it right, her primary isn't oppressive.

All the other tanks minus loser Doomfist need to be brought down to her current level (which it looks like they aren't doing anything on tanks which is bad, easiest thing is knock 50HP off everyone but Doom and JQ)

• Options
    Well the tank being a little OP is working as designed in 5v5, JQ is the one who was over-nerfed after dominating the beta. I like having powerful tanks, although Open Queue is even more of a mess than before. Not sure why they gave it such prominence. Maybe it's a band-aid for queue times, I remember they added OQ to beta 1 as a emergency queue time fix.

• Options
    i wish they'd give us about 5 more healers to choose from.

• Options
    I don't spam voice lines, ever - but I do have "hello" bound to X, "Ooh, scary!" bound to right d-pad, and "You got it!" on left. When an Ana sleeps me, though, I have to go into my radial, because as I lie there helpless I will always tell her "I have this under control." I just think it's hilarious, if I get nuked or if I get away.

It works out a lot, but it has never worked out better than it did tonight.

https://youtu.be/kmN1_32E4dM

The second bit is from a game with my brother, who's on PC. If you're going to spawn camp someone, I feel it's more polite to apologize for it first.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I just saw the Ashe Robin Hood skin and it made me wish that they would create a way to earn shop credit if they are going to keep skin prices insane.

Also not make shop items rotating.

Anyway, currently grinding to try and finish out the battle pass levels by end of season. I already got the Pharrah skin which is the one I really wanted though.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If I ever saw Chance on the enemy team, I'd probably just rage quit before the match starts.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    OK hit 200 and got my Cyberdemon. Ready for S2

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah I played a bunch of QP and ranked last night and kinda just locked Junk and vibed, ended up winning a bunch of games and really pissing off some enemy players, was pretty awesome

• Options
    If I ever saw Chance on the enemy team, I'd probably just rage quit before the match starts.

Ah c'maaan - I don't post the fails. Some nights are 8 and 2, some are 2 and 8, tonight was actually 5 and 5. The mistakes and pratfalls are for me and my therapist. A montage of a humble console Tracer, doin' God's work and gettin' those sweet, sweet support picks? That's for you.

https://youtu.be/h0BfmElPSBA

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    They dont post the fails cuz there are no fails. Only suffering.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    season 2 patch notes

-If I'm reading it correctly they reverted the KOTH overtime countdown at 99% to what it was in OW1 instead of what it currently was, where it just goes from 99 to 100 after a contest and that's the end of the map

-Passive for DPS players removed movement speed on a kill, just a faster reload time (35%)

-Doomfist got buffed to his punch and block and meteor fist and his shield passive
    -Junker Queen got small buffs to shout, bleed regen, and a bigger head hitbox
    -Tracer got a buff to her guns (why???)
    -Mercy got 5 more bullets for her pistol
    -Symmetra is even more of a joke and they don't know what to do with her, she gets faster charge and decay, feeds off shields again, but burns ammo quicker
    -Sojourn's railgun got capped at something like 195HP on a full charge, the decay drops off faster, damage falloff happens at 40m instead of 70, but she still has the ample sniper hitbox the secondary was given. So look for Ashe/Sojourn/Mercy boosted being the new hotness
    -Bastion got a cooldown buff for tank and his ultimate fires faster
    -Ana sleepdart got a 1 sec cooldown reduction
    -Kiriko's ult got slightly nerfed but buffed her knife ammo and suzu cast, they don't realize suzu is broken AF and leads to Hog (who wasn't touched) being broken

-Hollywood and Gibraltar were removed from the map pool, yes, they are keeping map pool because fuck you

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Joke's on Blizzard. I don't give a shit about a single one of these cosmetics in the slightest. For season 1 or 2. Between being garish and for characters I don't play much, there's not even the slightest trace of FOMO.

Hate hate hate the buff to Bastion's ult, but especially the entire philosophy behind it needing to be more deadly. Squishies are vulnerable enough without a basically "lol auto-delete the backline from 50 feet away behind six walls" button. Ana and Zen just flat out do not survive that, period.

Also, half forgot that this new tank asshole is locked out for F2P people for like the next 4-5 weeks because lol battlepass.

And yet, Blizzard isn't even coming close to being the fucking disaster case fuckup that BHVR has been for the last six months. Fucking Christ, it's like they're trying to kill their game.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Bastion's ult needed help, frankly. Most of the time I'd rather spend the time in his shift ability than use his Q.

Initial response to the new tank guy that I wasn't expecting to have: Boy his shield resembles Sigma's. And his brawler form's big shoulders makes him look a lot like Sigma at first glance. And his voice sounds like Sigma... Hrm.

Edit:
    TexiKen wrote: »
    -Hollywood and Gibraltar were removed from the map pool, yes, they are keeping map pool because fuck you
    what the fuuuuuck

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    but they added blizzardworld and rialto back, be thankful! With the new Shambali map we're now at the same amount of maps in play that OW1 was two months ago!

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I don't really love either Hollywood or Gibraltar, but a little variety would have been nice

edit: oh didn't see texiken's post, I'm the weirdo that does like those two maps so I'm mostly okay with it (although I'd be more okay with just having all of them, at least in QP)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    tracer had a bug that was fixed but also the other change so its supposed to be about the same? idk that's what karq said
    i do not understand the buff to bastion, i think they know less what to do with bastion then sym. more turret time because that's what was needed?
    changed all dps passive buff thing from more damage after a kill to faster reload? i don't know...i want to like this game but it feels janky
    https://youtu.be/SVpwEiK-j4E

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Ahh yes, a new tank, so we have people who paid $10 so they can run solo into the enemy lines over, and over, and over again because they have no idea how the tank works and just expect the supports to somehow keep them alive 2v5.

• Options
    uh yes?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Neat. Another fun fuck you from Blizzard is that the highest rank reached rewards are bugged.

Cool. Super duper cool.

E:
    LOL And they're not even pretending to do placements. They just knocked 1000+ SR off everybody. People are reporting having been dropped from Masters to Gold.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    uh yes?

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Neat. Another fun fuck you from Blizzard is that the highest rank reached rewards are bugged.

Cool. Super duper cool.

E:
    LOL And they're not even pretending to do placements. They just knocked 1000+ SR off everybody. People are reporting having been dropped from Masters to Gold.

I've heard that somebody claims it was announced ahead of time that rank rewards would be based on ending rank and not peak, which is how it's been for T500. I haven't seen that anywhere so I'm skeptical, but if so, then technically this was intended?

Which is even more fucking stupid, because you couple that with the new hidden SR and it means you could be at one rank, be beneath it based on some games you've played but unable to tell because you're in between 7-win breakpoints. Lots of people in that situation from what I'm seeing today.

Monstrously idiotic if that was intentional, merely ridiculously dumb if it were all an accident. A poorly communicated ranked system that disincentivizes you from playing it and threatens to arbitrarily wipe away your progress without any clear indication on how it's about to do so.

I played two games past my high in s1 and ended up being credited a full 2 ranks beneath it, then dropped an extra 6 ranks in the new season adjustment. What a joke.

Kasyn on