As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    I did wonder if maybe I should hold out for a female charizard so I could use a rare apricot ball and be able to pass it down through breeding, but eh

100% catch rate for raids was absolutely the right call though. Fuck, I remember doing GMax Lapras raids 15 times in a row and never catching the damn thing.

Doesn't breeding a male with a Ditto pass down the ball?

Yar, it does

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Man this shiny method is broken heh. Got my second shiny from outbreak. 18min in. Salandit. Male though so staying a salandit.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Borrowed my sisters copy of Violet and used it to hold my box legend and a full set of Violet exclusives and trade evolutions all holding ability patches and a set of lucky eggs then sent them from that violet to my copy of Scarlet.

I am now ready to grind out the Pokedex a second time to hunt Scarlet paradox shiny

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    I did wonder if maybe I should hold out for a female charizard so I could use a rare apricot ball and be able to pass it down through breeding, but eh

100% catch rate for raids was absolutely the right call though. Fuck, I remember doing GMax Lapras raids 15 times in a row and never catching the damn thing.

Doesn't breeding a male with a Ditto pass down the ball?

Yar, it does

Is that a recent change? I'm pretty sure it didn't used to work that way.

Having found no shinies during the entire game, I've now gotten two. Saw a shiny Maschiff last night and just booted the game up and immediately saw a shiny Mudsdale.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have an ability patch from Charizard so I'm gonna start breeding protean Sprigatito ( or whatever they start with)
    Posting when they are ready

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Hey I caught Charizard after about 5 or 6 tries. I got a group with Flutter Mane doing damage, two Sylveons screeching and my Azumarill doing Light Screen, Helping Hands and heal cheers.

It's weird to have a Pokemon game where you have to think in terms of MMO parties, like having a primary damage dealer, 2 debuffs and a healer in the party

It wasn't uncommon some generations ago. Competitive teams used to frequently have a 2 sweepers, 3 max, with the rest being tanks, healers, spikers, status setters, stat change clearers, etc. and this carried over into single player content like Battle Towers that tried to simulate competitive battles. I think it was one of the 3DS games that shifted things to sweeper heavy teams though I could be misremembering given that I now feel really old.

The raids have put the mechanical depth that kept a lot of hardcore gamers around more front and center by making it part of a cooperative gameplay mode and much more visible.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I have an ability patch from Charizard so I'm gonna start breeding protean Sprigatito ( or whatever they start with)
    Posting when they are ready

I have two boxes of them ready right now.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Does Ruination work in raids?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So I did basically nothing this evening while watching gabby’s vgc stream and somehow that turned into me breeding no good speed/atk torkoals and armarogues because I love the look of her Trick room team. I had to bridge no speed from the amorphous to humanlike egg group so I just have a box of Ralts now as well.

Anyway I have a bunch of no speeds of all 3 and a handful for no speed/no attack if that’s something anyone would be interested in.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    So I did basically nothing this evening while watching gabby’s vgc stream and somehow that turned into me breeding no good speed/atk torkoals and armarogues because I love the look of her Trick room team. I had to bridge no speed from the amorphous to humanlike egg group so I just have a box of Ralts now as well.

Anyway I have a bunch of no speeds of all 3 and a handful for no speed/no attack if that’s something anyone would be interested in.

God, I'm currently running around trying to catch a 0 atk iv Gimmighoul (it's can't breed because gamefreak hates us) and it is actually driving me insane.

Thankfully I'm pretty good for everything else, have a box that is just male 0 speed and 0 attack mons for every egg group, but min maxing this stupid gholdengho set might actually kill me

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Watching Moxie Boosted and jesus...Dondonzo is terrifying.

That thing is a dynamaxed pokemon in disguise.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Does Ruination work in raids?

Not how you want it to, no. On a technical level, how they do raids is that each pokemon has their HP multipled by an amount depending on the raid difficulty. But their base HP is still there in the code, and that's what Ruination checks. So it still hits, but it winds up being one of the least damaging moves you can bring to a raid.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Man, I'm enjoying this game a lot. Just finished the three main plotlines and am about to head for endgame.
    Like, I genuinely enjoyed all the three branches. Team Star probably the least, but still it was quite fun. The Titan's path probably the best, since "a boy and his dog" is always a surefire way to hit at the heart, and seeing Arven grow is great.

And honestly, I've been having to actually think my moves and such by just playing with standard multiplayer ruleset (you know, Set switching, no repeated held items, no non-held items in battle). Nemona damn near took me out just now, it came down to last pokemon versus last pokemon and Squosh the Bellibolt on 30% HP left. I always play every pokemon game with these rules since Black, and honestly haven't been so close to wipes so often in any of the games before, seeing how Arven also did punch my clock when I took on him (though that was, admittedly, like eight levels ago) and I've been in trouble against other stuff before.

Plus, the great pokemon variety and bunch of really rad new pokemon is absolutely lovely. I always make a point of using as close to all new pokemon as I can manage and I haven't had so much trouble actually deciding who gets to be on the team since BW, I love so many of the new little goobers.

If this sticks the landing I'm pretty sure this is about to dethrone SuMo for my favorite Pokemon game.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    xuq0tvnytegw.jpeg

A person named tikivk drew this and I like it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Apparently he and the little sushi guy are quite terrifying in doubles

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Yeah, Tatsugiri’s ability apparently sharply boosts all of Dondozo’s stats in a double battle, in exchange for Tatsugiri himself being removed from the battle until Dondozo faints, and Dondozo being unable to switch out. And since it’s an Ability, it triggers as soon as the battle starts, so the opponent is kinda on the back foot right away.

Additionally, Dondozo’s signature attack, Order Up, will boost its stats if a Tatsugiri is in its mouth. Depending on the type of Tatsugiri, it’ll boost Dondozo’s Attack, Defense, or Speed.

Though, Order Up is a Dragon attack, and Dondozo is Water. Then again, that probably means Tera Dragon is a neat option for Dondozo.

And honestly, Tatsugiri being removed from battle for the duration kinda just means the opponent can only damage one of your guys at a time until Dondozo faints.

Enlong on
  • Options

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about.

It also being based on the giant earthquake catfish is pretty neat aswell. Feel like its typing should be Water/Ground, Water/Dragon or Dragon/Ground instead of just plain water though.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Maybe they wanted to make it not quite so similar to Whishcash.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh thats so fucking dumb. Raid fights can jump in between terastallizing and actually using the attack to ko you and completely waste the charge. That you arent allowed to start with for some stupid reason, so you have to waste multiple turns doing zero dage attacks against the shield to fill it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    When I first saw Dondozo I was convinced it was a new evolution for Whiscash.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Enlong wrote: »
    Maybe they wanted to make it not quite so similar to Whishcash.
    Oh right.

I always forget he exists. I'm the guy who always tries to hit that one with ground moves becuase I see the yellow coloring and immediately think Water/Electric like an idiot.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

Unfortunately (or rather, thankfully), they have one key weakness that is absolutely everywhere on ladder right now

fear the bird...
    Murkrow is the only prankster + tailwind user in the format so people would bring him anyways for speed control

But he also gets prankster Haze, which kinda shits all over the tatsuDonzo strat.

Don't get me wrong, it's still really good, but you gotta play around the crow very carefully otherwise you just get blown out

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options

Double post, but I found this while looking for that tweet and it made me laugh

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    This little gromlin saved my behind so many times.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Does speed even matter in raids?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Does speed even matter in raids?

if you're doing it right, not really. You should be defensive enough to not be oneshot, you're definitely not one-shotting them in the first round, so multiple turns will happen no matter what. Speed is a dump stat for most raid encounters.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    pranksters rise up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    KA KAW

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Had my first Charizard raid last night as I haven't had much time to play lately. Went in with a couple friends, one with Sandy Shocks, one with Umbreon, and me with Flutter Mane. Sandy Shocks is such a good support, being able to paralyze, lower special defense, and also being able to lower special attack. My Flutter Mane had Draining Kiss, but never needed to use it. Buffs, debuffs, and helping hand from Umbreon lead to one super dead, one-shot Charizard.

The resources spent to get Flutter Mane up were well worth it, got two Ability Patches that raid.

Cruor on
  • Options
    6 star raids cheat. This Staraptor took about 6 moves before I got in even one. Put up the shield before anyone hit it, and then blew us out of the cavern with a good 20 seconds left on the timer. I didn’t get off a single attack. Belly Drum… dead. Belly Drum… dead.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Doing the Akira burnout every time i ride past a group of Deerling so i can check their head flowers.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Slowly making my way through Scarlet. Current party is Floragato, Oinkologne, Clodsire, Maschiff, Spidops, and Nymble (with Spidops getting kicked-out when Nymble becomes Lokix; the former's design is just too weird for me to not play with for a while). I need to get a special attacker somewhere, but I'm restricting myself to new Pokémon.

I will say I wasn't expecting a decent chunk of my playtime to be devoted to mashing R while Paldean Wooper steamrolled the majority of Pokémon I came across effortlessly (lots of fairies around to poison).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You're not weaker if you join someone else's raid than you are as a host right?

I solo'd a 6-star Dark Annihilape easy peasy with my Iron Hands. Then I joined an online Ice Annihilape with the same Iron Hands and got absolutely destroyed by Close Combat. It was doing way more damage than it did in my solo raid

Looking at Annihilape, I guess it could have been Defiant and one of the other raiders ended up maxing its Attack by trying to Screech or something?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    This little gromlin saved my behind so many times.

Holy shit it’s not often I see a GaoGaiGar reference 👌

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    You're not weaker if you join someone else's raid than you are as a host right?

I solo'd a 6-star Dark Annihilape easy peasy with my Iron Hands. Then I joined an online Ice Annihilape with the same Iron Hands and got absolutely destroyed by Close Combat. It was doing way more damage than it did in my solo raid

Looking at Annihilape, I guess it could have been Defiant and one of the other raiders ended up maxing its Attack by trying to Screech or something?

It’s possible I’m not really sure tbh. I think though that the npc mons do a lot of support work and don’t count against the timer

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Something I liked about the narrative (plot-spanning observation, but nonspecific):
    Unlike most of the Pokemon games, here the Pokemon League (or its regional equivalent) isn't the center of the universe. Even when they didn't have a League (yet) in Sun and Moon, the eight-stage trials were a rite of passage, something you had to finish to be considered an actual adult. Here, the Pokemon League is still a massive cultural figure, but there's no assumption that just because you own a Pokemon and battle with them from time to time that you'll be involved with the league or make a try at the Gym Challenge. You're certainly welcome to, and our player character does as a matter of course since it's a mainline Pokemon game, but as far as the setting's concerned it's not Why We're All Here. It was a refreshing change of pace.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Tinkaton is a gen IX highlight for sure.

I really want a male version with more of a FF dwarf inspired look though.

Like 90% of it is just beard with lil eyes sticking out.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Tinkaton is a gen IX highlight for sure.

I really want a male version with more of a FF dwarf inspired look though.

Like 90% of it is just beard with lil eyes sticking out.

Y'know... ground/fairy is something they haven't done yet. Call it Metrognome.

• Options
    Man I HATED the first form of tinkaton. I caught one right at the start and immediately boxed like “this is literally the worst, the only good designs I’ve seen are based on the old Pokémon,” you know, my Pokémon boomer shit.

But then I saw someone have her final evo out in a raid and it changed everything. I was at a lvl point where I could skip straight to that final form and avoid the awkward stages, and she never left my party until I beat the game.

The ugly boy with a weird stick to hot girl with a giant hammer pipeline is real

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Glad I just saw that post above when I'm still apparently near a Tinkatink Spawn point near the bug type gym.

Speaking of the bug gym...how about that Katy, huh?