As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Yeah but you gotta read words.

That’s dumb.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »

That’s dumb.

Somewhere, Tycho just sat bolt upright in bed, breathing heavily, laced in a light, cold sweat.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

That’s dumb.

Somewhere, Tycho just sat bolt upright in bed, breathing heavily, laced in a light, cold sweat.

who the fuck is Tycho

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

That’s dumb.

who the fuck is Tycho

ligma balls

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    yeah i'm not sure a party-boy astronomer would care if anyone knew how to read

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    yeah i'm not sure a party-boy astronomer would care if anyone knew how to read

Pretttttttty sure he’s talking about Scott Hansen.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Falcon and the Winter Soldier had a lot of great character work, but it was indeed pretty cowardly.

That stupid show accidentally made their villains 100% right and justified, and they clearly didn’t realize it until near the end so they had to swerve hard and have them randomly murder people for absolutely no reason so no one would get confused.

The stuff with Bucky was fun, and Sam’s family. But the main plot is probably one of the worst things marvel has ever done.

Bucky's book is pretty good; Bucky and Zemo is a terrible, half-assed, out of left field choice that ruins the little bit of character development he'd received over the past couple movies and leaves him looking like a huge piece of shit.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is your reminder that Violent Night is the greatest Christmas movie ever made.

How does it compare to say, a Krampus? Can David Harbour dethrone Bill Goldberg as the go ass kicking Santa Clause, also? Important questions.

David Harbour wins Christmas

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

wait hold on, people like good movies instead of endless soulless garbage?

Considering one of rhe biggest "fan criticisms "of phase 4 being the lack of "and this is building to this" for more of a individualized thing (not that it actually feels all that individualized) this is probably more of refocus to make them more soulless garbage not less. To the point where you don't even need directors.
    Ymmv, but for me all the new additions feel a bit directionless - like all the post-Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games films that came out and were okay. They come out and you'd know like 80% of the plot beats within 10mins.

They dont feel like they're really doing anything new, and for the worst ones you're like "Oh, it's [Previous Story] with X swapped for Y". They'll find an audience and have their fans, but for Marvel Phase 4 it just feels like they're kinda throwing variations of similar things at the wall to see what will stick (seriously, how many mystical societies who have been manipulating events throughout history to achieve their secret goal are out there?)

Nothing is really capturing the attention like Phase 2 did (even Phase 1 took a while to build up steam until they hit the first Avengers) - they feel like Percy Jackson to Harry Potter, Beautiful Creatures to Twilight, or Divergent to Hunger Games. Similar stories that make you ask "what's the point?" - which is why people are hoping for a "building to..." to add meaning in case they unceremoniously putter out like the Netflix Marvel series.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    They should stop concerning themselves so much with building to the next big movie and start focusing on making sure each individual movie is good. The idea that this has to lead to the next "event," is what got comic books fucked up, there's absolutely no need to do it here. Even in the build to Thanos, he was mostly just...in the background in the post-credit scenes, just do more of that. I don't care about whatever bullshit Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is up to.

They should also make their TV seasons a few episodes longer and start writing them like they're actual TV shows instead of overlong movies.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Didn’t catch any of them, so I shall now provide true internet critic:
    - Falcon should have sided with the Flag Smashers, so we start with a Captain America where he is most fun; believing in America while it hunts him down.
    - Love and Thunder should have been a light-hearted road trip movie with no antagonist.
    - Multiverse of Madness should have flipped the script, having Wanda become the hero as Strange becomes the villain.
    - Black Widow should have taken place after she died. Yeah, that’s right. Black Widow does a heist in Hell. Ghost Rider is there. Or maybe she gets to be Ghost Rider.
    - Shang-Chi was probably fine. Was there enough kung fu? Put more fight scenes in anyway.
    - Maybe bump Eternals along to the end of this phase? I feel like a humongous baby god busting out of the sea is… something.
    - Spider-Man and the Multiverse of Madness: How come Strange real dumb? Maybe tighten it up a little bit, but overall it’s fine. Would it hold up if you didn’t know who any of the actors were?
    - What else we got? Ms. Marvel? Fine probably.
    - She-Hulk I heard was good.
    - I did see Wanda-Vision through highly legit means, and overall it was good. The ending was constrained by forcing Wanda into a position where she could be used for the next bit, so no punishment or true change of character for her. It was all there until the rug pull though.
    - Moon Knight was a thing. Probably good.
    - Hawkeye loses 5 points for not being in jail or dead, but the main actresses are awesome. I saw a clip of them together and I knew instantly I had seen the best part of the show. 0/5.
    - Oh I did see Loki. When I had finished I had seen Loki. Good monologue from that man. He knows how to monologue.
    - What If?… Was a cartoon so I imagine it was decent to great. The cartoon gangs for both Marvel and DC regularly kill it.
    - Wakanda FOREVA is obviously hobbled by not having Chad, but I bet it’s okay.

I might have missed twelve Marvel things there but that’s seems about the lot of them.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm a weirdo who wants a Marvel series about workers at an insurance company just trying to deal with the messed of crap of half the population of the planet suddenly reappearing five years later after everyone thought they'd died. That is such a hugely traumatic thing that has been massively glossed over. Like the Falcon and Winter Solider show was the only thing to really address it and it didn't go far enough. Spider-man 2 was just like, Hah! Kid is five years older. Everything else has pretty much ignored it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sam and Bucky should have sided with the flag smashers

When they didn't, I lost interest in all of the marvel tv stuff

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm a weirdo who wants a Marvel series about workers at an insurance company just trying to deal with the messed of crap of half the population of the planet suddenly reappearing five years later after everyone thought they'd died. That is such a hugely traumatic thing that has been massively glossed over. Like the Falcon and Winter Solider show was the only thing to really address it and it didn't go far enough. Spider-man 2 was just like, Hah! Kid is five years older. Everything else has pretty much ignored it.

not marvel or dealing with the snap, and also canceled before the last 3 episodes of the first season aired, but

ceattm0fhmqf.jpg

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    honestly? bring that show back

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I still think the idea of a Damage Control TV show that takes that weird absurdist tone of those covers with titles like “WHEN DOOM DEFAULTS!” is fantastic

But it would require a level of execution I would question possible at this point

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I legit enjoyed Powerless.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The problem with addressing the snap at anything more than a superficial level is that it would basically be world ending horror, which is why it's completely glossed over.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The problem with addressing the snap at anything more than a superficial level is that it would basically be world ending horror, which is why it's completely glossed over.

Then they just need to magic it away so it didn't happen or no one remembers it.

• Options

I legit enjoyed Powerless.

if it came out like a year later we would have gotten two seasons of it on dc universe and then another two on hbo max before it would be canceled this year

then tudyk could have been in 3 dc shows at the same time

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I watched black panther 2. Vivienne still enjoys marvel movies and wants to see them, whereas I tag along when I’m in the mood.

Black panther 2 was surprisingly good, to the point where when I was watching the Big Action Scene, I was kind of thinking, boy, I wish they’d go back to talking. Because the movie at its heart was interesting, it was a big unflinching look at loss and how you can cope with it.

Plus one horrendously bad costume.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

Counter proposal, remember when Constantine got cancelled and they said "fuck it, put him on Arrow, yes we know it's a different show on a different network in a different universe, we'll work out the logistics later"

Anyway what I'm saying is there's nothing saying there aren't superheroes in the Princess Switch Cinematic Universe

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

Counter proposal, remember when Constantine got cancelled and they said "fuck it, put him on Arrow, yes we know it's a different show on a different network in a different universe, we'll work out the logistics later"

Anyway what I'm saying is there's nothing saying there aren't superheroes in the Princess Switch Cinematic Universe

justice league vs darkseid ala that avengers endgame scene except the girl power shot is all vanessa hudgens. darkseid kneels, because he knows the hierarchy of power in the dc universe has changed

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I still think the idea of a Damage Control TV show that takes that weird absurdist tone of those covers with titles like “WHEN DOOM DEFAULTS!” is fantastic

But it would require a level of execution I would question possible at this point

See, but Damage Control in the MCU are just cops

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

not marvel or dealing with the snap, and also canceled before the last 3 episodes of the first season aired, but

ceattm0fhmqf.jpg

Holy shit, this show had a cast.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

ceattm0fhmqf.jpg

Danny fucking Puddi?

• Options

ceattm0fhmqf.jpg

and about 5 people watched it

• Options
    - Falcon should have sided with the Flag Smashers, so we start with a Captain America where he is most fun; believing in America while it hunts him down.
    - Love and Thunder should have been a light-hearted road trip movie with no antagonist.
    - Multiverse of Madness should have flipped the script, having Wanda become the hero as Strange becomes the villain.
    - Black Widow should have taken place after she died. Yeah, that’s right. Black Widow does a heist in Hell. Ghost Rider is there. Or maybe she gets to be Ghost Rider.
    - Shang-Chi was probably fine. Was there enough kung fu? Put more fight scenes in anyway.
    - Maybe bump Eternals along to the end of this phase? I feel like a humongous baby god busting out of the sea is… something.
    - Spider-Man and the Multiverse of Madness: How come Strange real dumb? Maybe tighten it up a little bit, but overall it’s fine. Would it hold up if you didn’t know who any of the actors were?
    - I did see Wanda-Vision through highly legit means, and overall it was good. The ending was constrained by forcing Wanda into a position where she could be used for the next bit, so no punishment or true change of character for her. It was all there until the rug pull though.
    - Hawkeye loses 5 points for not being in jail or dead, but the main actresses are awesome. I saw a clip of them together and I knew instantly I had seen the best part of the show. 0/5.
    - Oh I did see Loki. When I had finished I had seen Loki. Good monologue from that man. He knows how to monologue.
    - What If?… Was a cartoon so I imagine it was decent to great. The cartoon gangs for both Marvel and DC regularly kill it.

I might have missed twelve Marvel things there but that’s seems about the lot of them.

ms. marvel was about 75% extremely good and then it remembered it was a marvel property and marveled hard
    which sucks because a lot of muslim folks were super stoked because it exactly represented their family dynamic growing up

also what if was decidedly not good

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular

ceattm0fhmqf.jpg

this is the first time i've heard this show existed

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    BROS was a great film but the characters were way too privileged and HOO BOY was that some graphic sex

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »

ceattm0fhmqf.jpg

this is the first time i've heard this show existed

DC Strikes again!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

ms. marvel was about 75% extremely good and then it remembered it was a marvel property and marveled hard
    which sucks because a lot of muslim folks were super stoked because it exactly represented their family dynamic growing up

Yea the family and social dynamic stuff was great. I wanted more of that.

It was mostly the same with she-hulk, the best parts were her trying to live her life while also being a hulk. I wanted about 3 more episodes of each series focusing on the slice of life stuff.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

What you’re telling me is I will lead a fuller life only watching the trailers to Marvel properties.

• Options

What you’re telling me is I will lead a fuller life only watching the trailers to Marvel properties.

you can probably skip those too honestly

moon knight was fun if only to see oscar isaac being a weirdo dingus for a bit, but the ending was supremely lame

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Over the weekend my partner and I watched Klaus, an animated Christmas film from 2019 presenting an original version of the Santa Claus legend

This movie was Oscar-nominated, has a 96% on RT, and I had never heard of it until my best friend recommended it to me last week. It is now one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time. It is wild how good this is and how I was completely unaware of it

https://youtu.be/taE3PwurhYM

This thing is hand-animated and then had volumetric lighting and realistic shading applied to the whole thing. It's one of the most gorgeous animated films I've ever seen. I also cried like a baby at 3 separate points of the film

Go watch Klaus

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

you can probably skip those too honestly

moon knight was fun if only to see oscar isaac being a weirdo dingus for a bit, but the ending was supremely lame

Moon Knight threatened to be actually interesting jn their fifth episode but they solidly course corrected un the 6th

• Options
    i watched all of wandavision and thought it was bad and boring, watched four episodes of loki and it was bad and boring, watched the first episode of falcon & winter soldier and see previous statements

every mcu tv show since has boiled down to me thinking "i do like those characters, but it is the mcu so it will take the least interesting route, don't start it", then for a couple episodes people say "this one is good! it's actually interesting and different from mcu stuff!" and then the last episodes come out and the sentiment "never mind, it did the boring options again"

still can't get over people saying wandavision was weird and interesting

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    i watched all of wandavision and thought it was bad and boring, watched four episodes of loki and it was bad and boring, watched the first episode of falcon & winter soldier and see previous statements

every mcu tv show since has boiled down to me thinking "i do like those characters, but it is the mcu so it will take the least interesting route, don't start it", then for a couple episodes people say "this one is good! it's actually interesting and different from mcu stuff!" and then the last episodes come out and the sentiment "never mind, it did the boring options again"

still can't get over people saying wandavision was weird and interesting

You weren't impressed that it completely failed to capture the writing and feel of old sitcoms, but filmed in black and white and was immediately showing flashes of real life intruding on whatever was going on?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Violent night was fun and there was two older ladies there complaining it was too violent

This discussion has been closed.