As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbrN-wb0R0

There's a reason this is here and I'm not going to say what it is.

I remember their unused commercial for rick and morty............ is that what you are alluding to?

edit: Eh, if you dont watch RLM stuff I dont think you are going to care. But I generally dont like their "storyline" stuff

Did you get to the end? That's the relevant part. It's just fun seeing your online media getting to interact with legit popular stuff.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of the Mr Plinkett stuff. I think it’s really boring and meh. I get it though, RLM aren’t actors.

The R&M stuff got a chuckle out of me though.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I am not a fan of the Mr Plinkett stuff. I think it’s really boring and meh. I get it though, RLM aren’t actors.

I'm completely fine with them doing it, they are having fun and its what they want to do, and if you can make money being an artist doing what you want, thats a real hurdle to be proud of. I just don't enjoy it but they should do their thing, I can fast forward 3 minutes to get to a review.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular

I'm completely fine with them doing it, they are having fun and its what they want to do, and if you can make money being an artist doing what you want, thats a real hurdle being proud of. I just don't enjoy it but they should do their thing, I can fast forward 3 minutes to get to a review.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it at all. Just that I don't find much entertainment in it. I still watch their videos (even this one) in their entirety because I value their time and opinions. Sometimes they have some good stuff in them Plinkett skits.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Very weird episode, in that I loved the story and character growth but it didn't get many laughs out of me.

Oh, and did anyone else feel Rick told Morty at the end because he knew that Morty couldn't keep it secret? Like he purposely sabotaged the good deed he did in a way where he directly did not do it, and thus could say it wasn't his intention when it was? That was my first thought, but now I'm not sure.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Rick has always had a problem with self sabotage. As much as he hates it when anyone gets in his way or questions him, I think he knows full well that no one ever causes him as much trouble as he does himself. Even other Ricks are less of a stumbling block.

Plus, it's been made super clear that he doesn't feel like he deserves anything good, and actively undermines any outcomes of his actions that result in him being well regarded. Even if no one knew what he did with Pissmaster, he knew, and he wanted to be punished for doing something selfless because it would probably torment him more to regard himself better, than to spill the beans and be punished by his family.

So, ultimately, yes, I think he did it on purpose, to sabotage it; but it's more depressing because he was sabotaging his self worth to punish himself for his failures in the past.

EDIT: the irony, I think, is supposed to be that he worked his ass off to provide Pissmaster what he denies himself.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Rick having character growth was excellent, but can we also talk about Jerry? Duder threw down this episode in way I never would have expected him to starting the show.

I'm just flabbergasted that the showrunners clung to the concept of Jerry being 1-dimensional and uninteresting, or unlikeable, for 6 seasons before allowing for some creative freedom which immediatly results in great episodes like this. Granted, Jerry breaking his mold already started some episodes ago, but this was a strong expression of that.

I believe I said this before but I'll say again that I'm putting that entirely on the shoulders of newer writers. Jerry is very much a punching bag but us millennials never met a punching bag we couldn't emphasize with.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Rick having character growth was excellent, but can we also talk about Jerry? Duder threw down this episode in way I never would have expected him to starting the show.

I'm just flabbergasted that the showrunners clung to the concept of Jerry being 1-dimensional and uninteresting, or unlikeable, for 6 seasons before allowing for some creative freedom which immediatly results in great episodes like this. Granted, Jerry breaking his mold already started some episodes ago, but this was a strong expression of that.

I believe I said this before but I'll say again that I'm putting that entirely on the shoulders of newer writers. Jerry is very much a punching bag but us millennials never met a punching bag we couldn't emphasize with.

Fully agree. I'm very happy to like almost all of Season 6 episodes so far. I read that they got a bunch of new writers on board for the new season and / or gave them more agency, and it pays off tenfold.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Fully agree. I'm very happy to like almost all of Season 6 episodes so far. I read that they got a bunch of new writers on board for the new season and / or gave them more agency, and it pays off tenfold.

I think Heather Ann Campbell is a senior writer now if not head writer which honestly explains a lot.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed that episode.

The whole Son - Sun bit just killed me for some reason

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    So at the end, it was kind of a vat of acid gag again? I lol'ed nonetheless.

Also, was Rick being sincere throughout this, or am I missing a gag?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Heir wrote: »

The minute they jumped into the sun I lost it. They fucking got us

Also Rick was trying to be sincere but understandably Morty had a hard time trusting him which is why he did feel really bad about having to use the vat

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

He didn't immediately jump to the vat of acid/magma/star corona so I think he was being sincere. Or at least as much as Rick is capable of.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I did not see the turn coming at the end. It was just chiefs kiss.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Great episode with good balance between meta jokes and episode specific ones. Ending killed it, though the stinger, while pretty funny, was really dark.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I feel like this entire season is Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon making up or something, and I'm here for it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Awesome episode! They committed to an interesting what if story, delivered a great narrative with multiple characters, and focused on telling this ridiculous story.

IE, and I hate to say it, classic season 1 Rick and Morty adventure.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

I think Heather Ann Campbell is a senior writer now if not head writer which honestly explains a lot.

Wow I just had to look it up to confirm but I remember her when she wrote for Play magazine back when I was a teenager and had a subscription to it (probably back to middle school)...

Wild to see this is where she is now. Thats awesome.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    "Pluto? That's some Jerry-level shit"

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Man... that sword really fought Deacon Frost? That is awesome

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have been off and on tired of Rick and Morty for a while now, but this Sun episode was fucking amazing stuff. The multiple dick detectors was some real Venture Brothers "Nozzle" level stuff.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I love their adoration with Blade 1.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The stinger. WTF.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I have been off and on tired of Rick and Morty for a while now, but this Sun episode was fucking amazing stuff. The multiple dick detectors was some real Venture Brothers "Nozzle" level stuff.

The "Is that a 3rd detector I see hidden there" and rick looking worried was gold.

• Options
    I love their adoration with Blade 1.

They are men of taste

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Like I speculated earlier, the dinosaur episode seems to be a turn around episode for Rick where he finally realizes that being the smartest man in the universe doesn't mean you need to be an asshole, and it doesn't mean you need to die alone on principle.

And also that it's okay if you're not the smartest man anymore.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Great episode with good balance between meta jokes and episode specific ones. Ending killed it, though the stinger, while pretty funny, was really dark.

I felt like I missed the joke, aside from the meta joke of the guy getting carried off by the bird of prey instead of the prey animals.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »

I felt like I missed the joke, aside from the meta joke of the guy getting carried off by the bird of prey instead of the prey animals.

I think he was also a hot dog, just an adult.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Like I speculated earlier, the dinosaur episode seems to be a turn around episode for Rick where he finally realizes that being the smartest man in the universe doesn't mean you need to be an asshole, and it doesn't mean you need to die alone on principle.

Which might be a reaction to the large clutch of Rick and Morty fans who think Rick being an asshole is awesome and they should be assholes too.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The last few episodes were all good. This has been a strong season.

I am a big fan of Jerry getting W's, although I hope they don't overplay it and make it annoying.

I liked that Jerry
    actually did give pissmaster the orb without trying to get out of it

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Good episode.

Favorite quote of the episode -

"Goddamn it Morty, you took the sword? So boring!"
    "Oh like you're not at this point you drunk cranky fuck!"

Savage Morty. Absolutely savage.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The sad conclusion of this episode is that St. Gloopy Noops Hospital no longer has a supply of heart replacements previously donated by the knights.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I would like to watch the latest episode but apparently can't.

For several days now, Sling has been telling me that Adult Swim shows aren't available, and now when I tried just buying the episode off of Amazon, it says I can't watch the show at all. Including old seasons. I can't even hand over money to watch it!

The fuck's going on?

EDIT: Well nevermind, I fumble fucked around with Sling until I attacked the episode lineup from the right angle that it allowed me to watch the episode. Pretty annoying though, I've had similar issues with ATHF but not with shows from other channels. And I was kinda hoping to cancel Sling soon and just buy the show off of Amazon instead but I guess that's not an option anymore!

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I would like to watch the latest episode but apparently can't.

For several days now, Sling has been telling me that Adult Swim shows aren't available, and now when I tried just buying the episode off of Amazon, it says I can't watch the show at all. Including old seasons. I can't even hand over money to watch it!

The fuck's going on?

EDIT: Well nevermind, I fumble fucked around with Sling until I attacked the episode lineup from the right angle that it allowed me to watch the episode. Pretty annoying though, I've had similar issues with ATHF but not with shows from other channels. And I was kinda hoping to cancel Sling soon and just buy the show off of Amazon instead but I guess that's not an option anymore!

Yeah we had to buy it on amazon even though it's on Hulu and HBOMax, because of the licensing agreement with viacom or whatever.

It's kinda shitty.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Which might be a reaction to the large clutch of Rick and Morty fans who think Rick being an asshole is awesome and they should be assholes too.

Honestly I keep waiting for the other show to drop and find out that it's been a fake Rick all along or some other nonsense that tosses out character growth. In the past it's certainly been the style of the show to do so.

At this point the most expectation subversion they could pull is to have it actually stick, even if it is only to give the finger to the edgelord alt right assholes. Hell, particularly if that's the reason, I'm all for it.

Rick is never going to stop being an asshole, generally, but the message that maybe that doesn't make him a badass, and that even he wants to be better, is a good one. It doesn't mean the show has to turn into Family Matters. But nihilism is lazy, and by it's very nature has nowhere to go for a plot device; proper absurdism can take that awareness of the pointlessness of existence and still have hope in whatever path you take, even if your goals are wholly arbitrary. IMO it's a more mature way of dealing with the indifference of the universe. Instead of thinking about the endless suffering Sisyphus must endure, consider that maybe he enjoys his labor. Maybe he's become friends with the boulder? (Thanks Hades)

Anyway, I hope they don't undermine entirely the developments of this season. Let "giving a shit" be the new "not giving a shit".

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Keep in mind the show got renewed for 70 episodes back in 2018, so there's at least 3 seasons left. They likely have some idea of where they want to go in that time.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm kinda expecting that the more he works on himself the more he starts to resemble who he was before Asshole Rick murdered his wife, and that this becomes something that gets Asshole Rick's attention, drawing him to Rick instead of the other way around.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I thought the latest episode went from good to okay but holy moley when it got to the end and it turned out, not even on the nose, but completely out of the blue, to be a vat-of-acid episode playing the long con, it jumped back to amazing.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    David Mitchell can now add castrated solar knight with a heroin addiction to his CV.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    David Mitchell can now add castrated solar knight with a heroin addiction to his CV.

Every actors dream role!