As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Are you implying that the Belmonts were not shooting Japanese schoolgirls with a pheromone gun to make them swoon?

maybe the belmondos

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    This is definitely the weirdest timeline. Bloodstained was already a Not-Castlevania, and now we've got a Not-Bloodstained?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    This is definitely the weirdest timeline. Bloodstained was already a Not-Castlevania, and now we've got a Not-Bloodstained?

I mean, if Konami is not going to make Castlevania, might as well start iterating off it and its successors like mad.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I mean, if Konami is not going to make Castlevania, might as well start iterating off it and its successors like mad.

Maybe they'll make their own Not-Grim Guardians and we'll come full circle!

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Maybe they'll make their own Not-Grim Guardians and we'll come full circle!

and they can call it portrait of ruin

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Inti Creates are making a brand new Castlevania-inspired game.... starring two of the ladies from the Gal Gun series. You know, that game where you shoot Japanese schoolgirls with a pheromone gun to make them swoon?

Oooooh, THAT explains the constant anime shrieking.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Yeah, the game looks like it has the potential to be fun. But I'd really be inclined to play it on mute unless that gets toned down during localization.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Those girls are talking way to much.

Yelling will not make the bullets hit harder.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Grim Guardians could be good, or it could just look really nice and be a boring game like Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. But it does look promising!

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Those girls are talking way to much.

Yelling will not make the bullets hit harder.

jonathan
    charlotte
    jonathan
    charlotte

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Grim Guardians could be good, or it could just look really nice and be a boring game like Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. But it does look promising!

This is not the bad takes thread.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Hey, I wanted to like it. And at first I did! Maybe I'll go back to it one day, but I just got bored with it a few hours in.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Hm. The voices don’t bother me. Maybe it’s because I watch a lot of anime and I’m accustomed to it.

Or maybe it’s because I played Super Mario Advance and I know it could be a lot worse.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Hey, I wanted to like it. And at first I did! Maybe I'll go back to it one day, but I just got bored with it a few hours in.

Oh, so you beat it then. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Oh, so you beat it then. :)

I bounced off of it too. Was kinda boring to play, and it didn't help that I had no attachment to the franchise.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The "story" elements of Deedlit admittedly mean absolutely nothing without having watched the OVA Anime. Not much of a hook to keep you going without that.

Game also felt like it suffered from a lack of gameplay-changing upgrades in the last half. Would have liked to see what some more budget or creativity might have bought the game.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried out the Bloodstained: Ritual randomizer? Curious if this game actually supports a good time with it.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried out the Bloodstained: Ritual randomizer? Curious if this game actually supports a good time with it.

It's what is advertised on the box. It's anywhere from truly random, to having limited randomization based on your settings.

My personal experience with it is probably not a great representation, as it gave me some late game ability things almost out of the gate and everything else was trivialized, but I am not really capable of not being completionist, so all it ultimately did was slightly alter the first handful of hours, and then it was functionally like a normal playthrough.

If you're a person who likes that sort of thing and challenge yourself to beat it immediately or whatever, I'm sure it makes that potentially interesting, with a risk of occasional frustration.

It doesn't hurt the experience, but since the only thing really that is randomized is gear locations, and there's no real way of knowing what progression upgrades are where, and the castle itself is identical, there's ultimately a limit on how different it can really feel. Like any randomizer, it kinda turns into a rush to check the easiest locations/bosses first to see if they give you the stuff you need to clear things, and can be hit or miss.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Yeah, that’s kinda the feeling I got from checking out what features were available, thanks for the rundown.

• Options
    Bloodstained is getting.....Journey content?

For non-twitter readers:
    The castle reveals more secrets! A new boss area inspired by Journey, the award-winning game from
    @thatgamecompany
    will emerge on August 23rd. Explore the new area and defeat the Guardian Dragon to win your prize.

Read all the details on our blog: http://505.games/BSROTNJourney
    udirln7zg5sg.png

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I get the impression that there's a lot of obscure but cool games that only existed on weird japanese computers

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Also, any idea on why SEGA's logo was posted on the box instead of Konami?

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv2/jth-cv2.htm

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Oh yeah, there's all kinds of interesting stuff on those JP computers. Did you know there's a sexy Castlevania clone for the PC-98 called Rusty?

Mildly NSFW:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rusty/

I played it a little bit recently and honestly did not enjoy it that much. The framerate just bothers me too much.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, there's all kinds of interesting stuff on those JP computers. Did you know there's a sexy Castlevania clone for the PC-98 called Rusty?

Mildly NSFW:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rusty/

I played it a little bit recently and honestly did not enjoy it that much. The framerate just bothers me too much.

It's still odd to me that "leather outfit, whip, a bit of boob" are the only things needed to qualify something as "sexy". Especially if that "bit of boob" happens to be on horrifying monstrous beings bent on your untimely demise. It's like, how can you even be thinking of "sexy" while those things are seeping puss and acid, and that mouth filled with more teeth than a shark is hellbent on killing you?

I guess I'm just not supposed to get it.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Those are the things I'm most attracted to, looking back at my dating history

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Whelk wrote: »
    Those are the things I'm most attracted to, looking back at my dating history

See, this is also when I have to remember I'm aroace, so I'm almost certainly not going to "get it" anyways. The best I get is "that looks nice" levels of attraction, aesthetic attraction; anything more just doesn't happen for me.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I'm just gonna "awesome" that and walk away knowing I don't need to watch that video.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    7 hour? I think I can find some segment breaks for that pesky problem of living a life to enjoy this. Kudos to the doc. person for finding 7 hours of something to say about Castlevania though. Must be a Ken Burns o' gaming over here.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    A 7-hour video essay!

That's too many.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I respect the passion, but I can't imagine listening to anyone talk about a game series for 7 hours when I could spend that time actually playing one of the games.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's like someone saw that Noah Gervais guy and decided to outdo him in terms of needless run time.

I guarantee it's not 7 hours worth of prime material.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I respect the passion, but I can't imagine listening to anyone talk about a game series for 7 hours when I could spend that time actually playing one of the games.

What about listening to it while playing the games?

• Options
    I know there are a lot of people that listen to podcasts or have Netflix on in the background while gaming, but I prefer to focus on the game, especially when the sounds and music are a big part of the atmosphere of a game, which is definitely the case with Castlevania.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I listen to this sort of stuff at work.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I listen to this sort of stuff at work.

Yeah this is a great work video

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Sometimes I envy people with non-public facing jobs.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Whomever has played Infernax, give me your impressions compared to legacy/classic Castlevania entries.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Whomever has played Infernax, give me your impressions compared to legacy/classic Castlevania entries.

I think they were inspired by Simon's Quest, but it's definitely its own thing. Not nearly as much collection and weapon options as even that game, so it's fairly light on the Metroid Vania credentials, but it still counts.

There are some bullshit room design/enemy placement combos intended to drop you into instant death. There are a lot of accessibility/difficulty options that make that whole thing less aggravating, from having more extra lives, to not losing everything when you die, to bottomless pits dealing damage instead of being death.

There are several variant characters you can play with after beating the main campaign, with wildly varying difficulty. Overall I played through four or five times.

Note: there's an excessive amount of gore. Also at least one of the monsters has tits. If that stuff bothers you, probably pass

Fry on