As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    it's kid tiki

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Tiki is the original little girl dragon so she ain't going anywhere.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    yeah they totally should have just had Tharja and Camilla in the expansion thing instead of Tiki

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I was hoping they would leave that well behind...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    IS thinks 1000 year old dragon girls they can sell merch of are a feature, not a bug. You would have to convince them that it's gross first, instead of just magically expecting them to have your same opinion when they clearly don't. I'm not saying it isn't gross (it most often is, for sure), but it's weird to assume they (the people making BANK from it) think so.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    IS thinks 1000 year old dragon girls they can sell merch of are a feature, not a bug. You would have to convince them that it's gross first, instead of just magically expecting them to have your same opinion when they clearly don't. I'm not saying it isn't gross (it most often is, for sure), but it's weird to assume they (the people making BANK from it) think so.

I fully expect they think it's gross, but are also making BANK on it, so they just lean into it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

That sure is a statement, but I can agree with the rough sentiment.

And yeah, I know a lot of Japanese anime/media has a really fucked up thing with underage appearing girls. I know what happened to the anime thread.

Just a bit disappointing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    yeah they totally should have just had Tharja and Camilla in the expansion thing instead of Tiki

Eh Tiki has history even if her archetype has gone to...bad places.

Tharja was just there for horny people from the jump. Which isn't to say that she won't eventually get a ring but I think they would probably focus on more story important characters like other lords, royalty or hell even villains.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    It’s the final countdown preview!

• Options
    So everything I have seen says that while aesthetically the game looks different its actually closer in combat to older FEs than TH was.

Also I'm glad the triangle is back. Is was missed very much.

Another cool thing I saw was gauntlets are still in. Not completely sure but I think they have an advantage against bows and magic but lose to all melee weapons which is pretty interesting.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So far all the trailers are doing is reinforcing the feeling that I just don't care about the plot or characters but the gameplay itself looks good so probably going onto the top of the backlog instead of being played on release like normal. I'm also considering doing a Golden Deer run first since I never got around to playing a different path.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Visually its also quite nice looking. Not sure how they pulled so much more out of the switch bit they did!

Also a very interesting mix of new and old ideas. We have characters with Build growth! And weapon triangles! But also no weapon durability!

Exciting.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's a pretty game, but I can understand the ""anime"" complaint, since everyone looks so glossy, shiny, and, well, sexualized now, as opposed to the traditional look they used to have.

f3r6sglw2zxn.png

New Lyn especially looks more exaggerated, proportionally.
    (That said, I still won't stand for Lyn slander, she's bestia.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm still not a fan of Engage's art style, and I don't think I ever will, but it looks better in those gameplay clips than I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DVwcB2bb4

• Options
    I think the main thing stylistically is that Fire Emblem has always looked anime.

But popular anime styles have also just changed over the years. Like yea it didn't look like this back in the 90s because anime did not look like this back in the 90s.

And I agree this is definitely not my personal favorite style of anime art. But some people love it and it will continue to change and evolve over the years as anime does as well.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Yeah the style back then was still "anime" it just matched the anime that was popular at that time.

I think my issue with the art style is like it has a weird mix of tradition medieval styles with more modern sensibilities that doesn't always gel well.

Its like you took someone "original OC plz do not steal" art doodles from high school and made them the basis for your character designs.

The overall aesthetic of the game actually looks more traditional and then the main cast is inserted into it and they look distinctly out of place.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I don’t like the art style at all but they gave edelgard a forehead large enough to play football on and I can’t stand her so it evens out.

• Options
    oac6y4391dkd.jpggzd8rnxxuq7p.png

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I’ve always enjoyed the art style of FE7 the most since it has the mid to late 90s anime aesthetic. The female characters are cute and sometimes sexy, but they aren’t overly sexualized. Sonia is the standard busty villain in a long black thigh revealing dress, but at least she looks like an adult not some teenager.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »

I saw an edit of slyvain dancing on her forehead of that engage edelgard image and it was a good laugh.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Should be upside-down Claude.

I honestly don't mind the art style, I'm really at the point that it's just the hair that bugs me. The red and blue are so stark it's distracting. I'll get used to it though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

What have they done to my dear Edie? :(

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Overview of the main base: the Somniel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJrItZRyALY

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Fuck meeee we can dress them up now?!

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Is that a goosing gacha system?

edit: A rail shooter minigame is definitely not something I was expecting from FE

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    “You can deepen your connection by polishing their rings after battle”

Goddamnit , phrasing Nintendo !

Edit- creating maps and challenge levels sounds cool

Edit 2- well that answer my question about he monastery / persona lite stuff returning .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I think Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing with that phrasing. They know their audience for this.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I think Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing with that phrasing. They know their audience for this.

Well fire emblem is anime so I guess you are right.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey ya'll I started playing Fire Emblem heroes recently. This is my first Fire Emblem game ever. I was sending some heroes home to get feathers in place of them, and I just had the thought that those poor bastards must feel like utter clowns. You get summoned to another world as best of the best of your universe to fight an unbeatable foe, then the person who summoned you says, "Uh. yeah nevermind, we're all full up on heroes, you can head on back." "But--but, you just summoned five more heroes since we've been talking." "Whoopie, that was a little mistake on my part, ha ha (summons five more)" "Then why don't you send them--" "OK, bye! Nice meeting you have a good one!"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Someone out there liked Fire Emblem 7 enough to give it its own little anime opening.

• Options
    Vengeance Dedue is insane . Not much to add other the disbelief at how hard he kills people.

• Options
    Someone out there liked Fire Emblem 7 enough to give it its own little anime opening.

Why can I only "Awesome" this post once?! It's unfair! Now I want to go fire up my GBA and play some Fire Emblem.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Playing though Three Houses again before Engage and I'm reminded how much I didn't like them removing the weapon triangle or how weight was handled in this one.

Kind of glad they seem to be reverting it.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    My coworker told me this was coming out since he follows most upcoming releases news. Granted I haven't been plugged into gaming news lately, but I completely failed to grasp it's been long enough for a new main series entry. I've had a drought of interest in gaming lately, and this has completely washed it away and filled me with anticipation and excitement I had been sorely lacking!

When I looked up news about this game, at first I thought it would be a stripped down, bare bones Fire Emblem just for beginners, but I think I was just misunderstanding what this video was for:
    https://youtu.be/usDy8YBesqQ

Looks like a decent amount of systems to sink your fangs into.

I ran out and pre-ordered this. Can't wait for 3 weeks to pass.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Yeah. The game actually looked pretty fleshed out gameplay-wise.

It just has an...interesting...art direction.

That said after Three Houses I can imagine the team wanted to do something a bit lighter in mood.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. The game actually looked pretty fleshed out gameplay-wise.

It just has an...interesting...art direction.

That said after Three Houses I can imagine the team wanted to do something a bit lighter in mood.

Need a palate cleanser after three houses, for sure.

• Options
    The world's wealthiest young influencer elites enjoying a spa resort inside a castle on a floating island is certainly a change of pace.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I am still so torn on this new game. I am absolutely getting it of course, and I'm sure I'll like it, but man it's been so hard to get hyped for it. Honestly I think it's just that every time I see it I think FE Fates and say "god no please." Even though I think it's pretty likely the game shouldn't suffer from the same problems (I mean, they don't have some rando author guy writing a bad story for it this time, right? That said, what I saw of the story so far was a little cringe too)

To be fair, haven't even watched some of the newer trailers. Thought about it but a combination of my current apathy and "well no spoilers might be nice" kind of shys me away.

But I dunno, we'll see. I'm hoping to really get into it once I start playing.

Side note - thank you Nintendo for your pre-order return policy. I pre-ordered the thing digital because I didn't think I had pre-ordered yet and I checked Best Buy, just about the only place I pre-order games from (I refuse to shop pre-orders at Amazon or Target as I've been screwed over by both way too often) and didn't see it, so thought I was in the clear. Then had a nagging thought that I should double check Gamestop too. Uh yeah, whoops, Collector's Edition pre-order there :P I have the worst memory I swear.

Other side note - I am totally calling the protagonist Colgate-chan, I don't care what their real name is :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The problem with Fates was that they wanted a grimdark plot without actually committing to it. (The way the plot would contort so Corrin was never in the wrong ever was terrible).

This doesn't really seem to be going for that and seems like your standard FE plot for better or worse.

This discussion has been closed.