As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Death Stranding 2] More Stranding, Spoilers & Speculation

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
edited December 2022 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/Tr2yB93pIGw

The first strand type sequel.

So. Holy shit, huh? Of all the games I never expected to get a sequel, Hades is the number one. But Death Stranding is a very close second!

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Not how I wanted to get playable Fragile(DLC when), but I'll take it! Somehow looks even creepier than the first, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Death Stranding 2: Strand Harder?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I wanted him to do something completely different, even as a massive fan of DF, but seeing that trailer I was surprised by how excited it made me. I love the imagery just hook it into my veins. Love it all yum yum yum

Favourite bit was that procession of red armoured people. Looks like some areas are a more bright white sunburnt salt plane which looks very cool

Prohass on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I get it, babies and ghosts, but what is the hiking like?

Endless_Serpents on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I get it, babies and ghosts, but what is the hiking like?

I want all new stumble mechanics. A complete next gen falling over simulator

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wonder, if we're playing as Fragile this time as the trailer felt like it was hinting at, maybe it's not gonna be a delivery simulator? After all, she can just teleport wherever... could see her doing something totally new and Sam's there too, to give ya some of that familiar gameplay?

After initially assuming that intro was a flashback to before Fragile's Timefall injuries, I'm uh, now pretty sure that was indeed set after the first game, and that bebe was indeed Lou. Which... oof, rage inducing. But hey, Fragile's skin is back to normal, guess the age wore off after Timefall was fixed. Though I am very curious why Sam's hair is suddenly gray - maybe they traded time somehow?

Other big possibility is we have indeed had a big timeskip, Sam's just older and maybe Elle Fanning is playing a grown up Lou? But then why does Fragile look the same age?

The villain appears to be some weird amalgamation of Higgs in Amelie's body... Somehow? She doesn't have a physical form at all, we burned Bridget's body... so what the hell is that thing playing a keytar!?

Oh brilliant
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I wonder, if we're playing as Fragile this time as the trailer felt like it was hinting at, maybe it's not gonna be a delivery simulator? After all, she can just teleport wherever... could see her doing something totally new and Sam's there too, to give ya some of that familiar gameplay?

After initially assuming that intro was a flashback to before Fragile's Timefall injuries, I'm uh, now pretty sure that was indeed set after the first game, and that bebe was indeed Lou. Which... oof, rage inducing. But hey, Fragile's skin is back to normal, guess the age wore off after Timefall was fixed. Though I am very curious why Sam's hair is suddenly gray - maybe they traded time somehow?

Other big possibility is we have indeed had a big timeskip, Sam's just older and maybe Elle Fanning is playing a grown up Lou? But then why does Fragile look the same age?

The villain appears to be some weird amalgamation of Higgs in Amelie's body... Somehow? She doesn't have a physical form at all, we burned Bridget's body... so what the hell is that thing playing a keytar!?

Nanomachines.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Since Kojima mentioned he put the script through a re-write after Covid, I get the impression it's going to be about a newly (re)connected society and the possible consequences, based on this:

0c298noe9fl0.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I can't muster the slightest interest in another Kojima production, to be honest. It'll have great art design, excellent character graphics, great music, and then shackle it to detailed, sophisticated, quirky, and stubbornly randomly infuriating gameplay design plus writing that would take serious effort to be more worthless and up it's own ass with some inscrutable nonsense. Also, fuckloads of grind for no good reason. I mean, the original game had some definite Feel Something moments, the problem was the writing was such a fucking mess that I could hardly ever find much of a reason to Feel Something about. Why the fuck was I in a luggage-throwing fight with a supervillain at some point? No fucking clue.

Now, if they release a second trailer and it introduces an actual editor for Kojima's writing? Then I'd have some interest.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Drawbridge screams to me "there are consequences to our tech that we need to cut off to protect ourselves" when compared to the Bridge theme of the first game.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I can't muster the slightest interest in another Kojima production, to be honest. It'll have great art design, excellent character graphics, great music, and then shackle it to detailed, sophisticated, quirky, and stubbornly randomly infuriating gameplay design plus writing that would take serious effort to be more worthless and up it's own ass with some inscrutable nonsense. Also, fuckloads of grind for no good reason. I mean, the original game had some definite Feel Something moments, the problem was the writing was such a fucking mess that I could hardly ever find much of a reason to Feel Something about. Why the fuck was I in a luggage-throwing fight with a supervillain at some point? No fucking clue.

Now, if they release a second trailer and it introduces an actual editor
    for Kojima's writing? Then I'd have some interest.

Let me stop you there.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Hideo grits his teeth, starts revising the script again

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wat?

https://shop.a24films.com/products/a24-x-kojima-productions-death-stranding-logo-tee

Well holy shit, A24 is doing a Death Stranding movie.

Oh brilliant
    I'm so down for an A24 adaption of that game.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I fully expect a movie so far up its own ass that it can climb out the mouth, flip back around, go back up its own ass again, and just does that, forever.

Not sure if that's a criticism or not.

Oh brilliant
    edited February 1
    EVERYBODY RELAX. Looks like it will super fucking weird. So everything is gonna be just fine.

Seriously though, I would appreciate just... 20-30% more coherency on the story. All extra weirdness past the original game is just gravy. Mostly I just want a lot more sweet landscapes to walk around in while listening to some chill-ass music. I'm already appreciating that despite the devastated world, humanity is doing what it would actually do: rebuild and recover, not sit on its haunches and rot while lamenting the old world.

Oh, and if something has happened to
    Lou
    definitely gonna have to John Wick the fuck out of this post-apocalyptic wasteland. With guns.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited February 1
    Every Kojima trailer will get at least one "what the actual ****?!" Out of me, and this was no exception.

Low frame rate puppet bro and Samurai robot powered by ghost baby vs. zombie cyborg glam metal Higgs got two.

manwiththemachinegun on
    I'm past trying to make sense of the insanity. I just hold onto the roller coaster and enjoy the ride, and what a trip it is.

9uu7mwbkyyl9.png

So much for hope of Fragile being the MC this time. :(

wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 1
    Every Kojima trailer will get at least one "what the actual ****?!" Out of me, and this was no exception.

Low frame rate puppet bro and Samurai robot powered by ghost baby vs. zombie cyborg glam metal Higgs got two.

I'm wondering that low framerate thing is supposed to be a bizarre affectation by the puppet dude or a temporary graphical issues? Because when Higgs touches it, its motion is totally smooth and normal but when it chooses to move, it has that whole stop-motion thing. Also, what the fuck is the deal with that puppet? And demon-goo-cat? And handy-dandy hand-collar-things? All some kinda "companion AI" thing because the world population density is so low now?

And goddammit Higgs, actually electric electric guitar/actual ax ax isn't quite enough to get me over the dumb bullshit luggage-throwing fight... but it's a damned good start. Keep it up. I look forward to our eventual absurd redux showdown, but this time make it weird instead of dumb.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    vrei3jk2rt7b.png

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    This made me remember I never played the first game.

Time to play I think.

edit - first impression - this game is gorgeous. I know it's running on the Horizon engine but wow. The prologue environment is one of the most real looking landscapes I've seen in real time in a game.

Also does this control better with a gamepad than keyboard and mouse? Because he's very unresponsive with KBAM.

-Loki- on
    I played on console and PC with a gamepad and it's what I would advise. You aren't likely to be shooting much, what shooting there is is pretty easy, and gamepad is a lot better for sitting back and enjoying the pretty environments.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m not sold on the gameplay yet but the visuals and music are making me keep playing.

The music is so good.

Played DS during the initial lock downs for covid. It was my escape and I loved every moment of it.

That's not even the big reveal, the BIG reveal is Kojima is doing another Tactical Espionage Action game which will certainly NOT resemble Metal Gear AT ALL. NO REALLY.

edited February 4
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’m not sold on the gameplay yet but the visuals and music are making me keep playing.

The music is so good.

To an extent, the gameplay never gets particularly deep. However, once you know the tools in the game, I found it enjoyable to keep improving how I reached certain locations. First time I went to locations without a vehicle, I always had some ropes and ladders with me to set up some shortcuts.

Possibly the single best tool in the game is the hover carts. They can hold a lot of weight and not worry about balance, plus you can set them down if you have to do something (like fight or set up structures) so you don't have to worry dropping a ton of crap and picking it all back up. If I remember right, I think you can even climb ladders and stuff and they follow if attached to your belt. Oh, and even when you do get vehicles you can simply stand next to the vehicle, open the cargo screen, and quickly swap all the cargo from the cart to the vehicle, quick and easy. I always kept at least one on me, if not two, just in case I came across some heavy valuable stuff by surprise and needed some extra carrying capacity.

Most importantly, you can ride them like a hoverboard. Doesn't do you much good going uphill but until you have vehicles handy, they're wonderful for getting downhill quickly.

Ninja Snarl P on
    So, lemme get this straight.

This is a world where if a BT manages to get its hands on a dead person, it creates, in essense, a nuclear explosion capable of levelling a city.

And Sam thinks it's a good idea to knock out and hogtie humans and just... leave them there. Hogtied, waiting to die.

edited February 4
    So, lemme get this straight.

This is a world where if a BT manages to get its hands on a dead person, it creates, in essense, a nuclear explosion capable of levelling a city.

And Sam thinks it's a good idea to knock out and hogtie humans and just... leave them there. Hogtied, waiting to die.

Look at the map of the U.S.A. when you get a chance. See all those craters? People do die in the world of Death Stranding under less than ideal circumstances. All the time. Humanity has just had to adapt to the idea that each person's death is capable of setting off a matter/anti-matter nuke.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Well yeah but don’t invite it to happen.

edited February 4
    It's harder to tie somebody up in a way to keep them permanently restrained than otherwise, but with somebody like Sam he knows they will need to get loose later and so probably ties them up in a way they can escape. Though you can get just plain old guns and shoot bad guys to regular death, but it will cause Bad Things to eventually happen if you don't deal with the bodies.

And just like the Metal Gear series, there's a difference between "stunned" and "unconscious" enemies. If you tie up a stunned enemy they'll wake up shortly and start wriggling free, then get up in a minute or two. If you knock them out completely, then they'll stay reliably tied up.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Well yeah but don’t invite it to happen.

Nothing stops the mail. Not even nuclear corpses.

Even worse than nuclear! The BTs are antimatter so if they manage to contact matter (in the form of a dead body), it's a total conversion to energy for the mass involved instead of the fractional conversion from fission/fusion explosion devices.

Though the voidout craters they show on the map of the US would be impossible as some of them are large enough to punch right through the Earth's crust, which would probably depopulate a whole hemisphere if not the whole planet.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Wait, a Kojima game is scientifically inaccurate?!
    [stands up in alarm, sits down immediately]

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    no it is science who is wrong

obF2Wuw.png
    no it is science who is wrong

Objection sustained.

Funnily enough, I've played through the game twice, once the Director's Cut, and never personally had a voidout happen to me. Never killed a raider and never died, at least not outside sequences where dying means means simply a reload with no other option.

Avoiding death isn't that hard though. Stay topped up on blood and blood packs, don't drop too low before you refill, don't leave home without max blood packs, watch for blood packs dropped during boss fights.