As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - R2-KillU

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

R2-KillU!

Penny Arcade - Comic - R2-KillU

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    something something Torment Nexus.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the thing is, we already had Legally Sanctioned Murderbots.
    we regularly deploy murderbots with explosives attached to other countries. they fly, and drop the explosives.

the real slippery slope is the US police force slowly getting to do everything the US Army gets to do.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    At least with the military you get a sense that there's some responsibility, a chain of command. The buck with any police department seems to stop at the top of that department. That's too low a responsibility ceiling for murderbots.

SF might go 5 years without accidentally killing an innocent, and by that time how many other jurisdictions will have them? And then when it inevitably happens, the usual suspects will all go "okay that happened in ONE city"

• palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    I loved reading this comic, because immediately from just a glance I understood that gabe and tycho were undertaking a simple task that had good intentions and that it went awry because thats what happens when human beings do anything, it eventually fails in some way or another. That doesn't mean you stop doing it, but when it does fail, what is the size of the failure that could happen? That's the consideration. How many safety mechanisms are put into place. How could this thing that they're doing be hijacked. Could someone in another country make a phone call (or internet connection) to their work and cause Gabe to end up falling on his head.

Hrm, king of run away analogies here... soz

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    It's funny how many sci Fi stories start with, "foolishly we gave computers power over life and death! Now through their warped sense of justice they'll make arbitrary decisions with permanent consequences for the rest of us. They're too powerful for us to stop, and by the time any external authority realizes what they are doing, the damage has been done!"

As if that's a concept that requires computers to be at the helm...

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    palidine40 wrote: »
    run away analogies here... soz

Speaking of that phrase and the current topic matter...I wonder how many people remember this movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_(1984_American_film)

Overkillengine on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It's funny how many sci Fi stories start with, "foolishly we gave computers power over life and death! Now through their warped sense of justice they'll make arbitrary decisions with permanent consequences for the rest of us. They're too powerful for us to stop, and by the time any external authority realizes what they are doing, the damage has been done!"

Yeah it's the cops that I don't trust

Exploding robots are way down the list

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

The robots do what they're supposed to.

I feel like the people who say it don't think enough about the phrase "guns don't kill people, people do"

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm just shouting into the void here, but that Mike and Jerry are finally deciding to make a political strip speaks volumes.

26904.png
  • PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

I mean, it's cop-controlled exploding robots.

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    I think there is bipartisan opposition to killer police robots, so it's not that political

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I'm just shouting into the void here, but that Mike and Jerry are finally deciding to make a political strip speaks volumes.

It's not political; it's just common sense. If this comic is considered political, then it's far from being their first one.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It certainly speaks volumes when a person decides, after 24 years of Penny Arcade comics expressing opinions on just about everything, that any particular comic is the one that's "political".

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

This was 22 years ago

20000728-cLveYvuO-p1.jpg20000728-cLveYvuO-p2.jpg20000728-cLveYvuO-p3.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I want a story where humans create a god-like AI. The AI calculates every trajectory for humanity, and even the best case has a 99.999999923% chance that humanity is extinct in 300 years.

So it builds a really awesome spaceship, and just leaves.

Literally, "So long, and thanks for all the sentience."

And then the human race is left here on Earth, wondering what to do now that god has basically told them humanity is doomed.

The flaw in our thinking is feeling like we're important enough, smart enough, or even dangerous enough to be wiped out.

ironzerg on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The Culture gets halfway to that. Instead of leaving humanity behind AIs build giant ships, take humans with them, and keep them away from any important decisions.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    To be fair, if you were tasked with managing a daycare, you wouldn't put the infants in charge.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    LOVE DEATH +ROBOTS episode, When The Yogurt Takes Over is basically that. Except yogurt.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    If I was a minority in the US, I'd be much more comfortable having Terminators doing policing than what they have now. At least everyone would be being at risk of being murdered, not just them. And they wouldn't think they were better than you while doing it.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    If I was a minority in the US, I'd be much more comfortable having Terminators doing policing than what they have now. At least everyone would be being at risk of being murdered, not just them. And they wouldn't think they were better than you while doing it.

James Cameron made the T-1000 an LA cop for a reason.
    Quote for the article quoting a book quoting James Cameron:
    The Terminator films are not really about the human race getting killed of by future machines. They're about us losing touch with our own humanity and becoming machines, which allows us to kill and brutalize each other," he says. "Cops think all non-cops as less than they are, stupid, weak, and evil. They dehumanize the people they are sworn to protect and desensitize themselves in order to do that job.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

Nah. These aren't automated killbots, they're remote controlled. This is just shooting people without getting blood on your shoes.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    LOVE DEATH +ROBOTS episode, When The Yogurt Takes Over is basically that. Except yogurt.

We reference that episode a lot here.

"give us... Ohio"

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    If I was a minority in the US, I'd be much more comfortable having Terminators doing policing than what they have now. At least everyone would be being at risk of being murdered, not just them.

Don't worry, they figured out how to make algorithms racist, too.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    To be fair, if you were tasked with managing a daycare, you wouldn't put the infants in charge.

Maybe you wouldn't