As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    Paladin wrote: »
    We should treat billionaires such that people actively avoid becoming billionaires

We kind of already do, but being a billionaire is not near the top of the list of social ire just because there's so much other crap you can be that's more repulsive

We absolutely do not put the proper level of fear for their actual lives in billionaires, whatever joke of a tax they pay is not "fear"

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    Paladin wrote: »
    We should treat billionaires such that people actively avoid becoming billionaires

We kind of already do, but being a billionaire is not near the top of the list of social ire just because there's so much other crap you can be that's more repulsive

We absolutely do not put the proper level of fear for their actual lives in billionaires, whatever joke of a tax they pay is not "fear"

Have you considered the fear of someone yelling at them on the internet though

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    please remember that this is a publicly accessible and search engine scraped board, a thing I have definitely been justifiably modded about

y'all

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    please remember that this is a publicly accessible and search engine scraped board, a thing I have definitely been justifiably modded about

not true for se++ since november 29, 2022, technically. you gotta log in to see stuff here and google hasn't been able to scrape anything after november 28th

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2022
    but also i am too exhausted to care. the world is going fascist again, nazis are rising again, supposed allies are transphobic to me on the daily

saying "billionaires should die" is not a crime and even if it was i truly do not give a shit. their rules have gotten me nowhere by design. i know the consequences of my words and actions

Garlic Bread on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    for once I'm like "...well played, Chappelle fans"

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    well in that case it's time we got down to the real shit like the number of lizard men in Congress and how they're affecting the Illuminati's role in the true beacon of hope for our society, Wikipedia's secret drone fleet that's spreading chemtrails full of fentanyl which THEY don't want you to know is actually a harmless byproduct of UFO flybys.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Musk getting booed it's hilarious but I'm very curious about the mental gymnastics involved in being a Chapelle fan in 2022 but not liking Musk.

They're both rich assholes with crappy opinions..

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I would prefer not to lose a good place I genuinely enjoy hanging out at because of impotent death threats lobbed behind a veil of not giving a fuck.

I ate an engineer
  • neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Musk getting booed it's hilarious but I'm very curious about the mental gymnastics involved in being a Chapelle fan in 2022 but not liking Musk.

Dave's an ass, but he's also very good at making jokes. Elon is an ass and he's not funny at all.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Plenty of people are just straight unaware of the controversy around Chapelle or believe that it's mostly exaggerated and the shows are good besides some bits people are trying to be offended by.

Bringing Musk out is an obvious signal that Chapelle is actually, clearly leaning into the culture war in a way people might not have believed to be true or been aware of.

I ate an engineer
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think a federally mandated assassination would be a most condign demise for these boards, what you think its gonna last forever, cant you see the suns setting fast and just like they say nothin good ever lasts

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Chapelle mostly limits his shittiness to attacking trans people, which unfortunately is still broadly socially acceptable with many

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    but also i am too exhausted to care. the world is going fascist again, nazis are rising again, supposed allies are transphobic to me on the daily

saying "billionaires should die" is not a crime and even if it was i truly do not give a shit. their rules have gotten me nowhere by design. i know the consequences of my words and actions

Hear hear

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Bring back bringing spoiled produce to shows imo

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bring back bringing spoiled produce to shows imo

But most venues already sell alcohol

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2022

Chapelle has gone on the record as hating people quoting his old Chapelle Show skits back at him, especially the Rick James lines. So it’s an already tone-deaf thing to say on several levels, and the fans would likely not respond well to that. Especially since it’s played out in general.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    milski wrote: »
    I would prefer not to lose a good place I genuinely enjoy hanging out at because of impotent death threats lobbed behind a veil of not giving a fuck.

"i think it would be cool if the richest man in the world died" is not a threat, it is a cry of exasperation. as you said, it is impotent. it means nothing.

some of us can't afford to go "blood libel on twitter? nazis? attacks on minorities from every angle in the real world? let me post pictures of my pets!" i get wanting a break or distraction from the horrors of the world, but after a point that just becomes choosing ignorance

i would prefer not to suffer in silence and have people tell me to shut up because they want to post on the internet. in 4 months i will have been on these forums for 20 years, i've spent more time posting and talking to people on here than anything else i've done in my life, these forums have saved my life many times. the only way i know how to pay that forward is to try and stop the things that cause suffering. i'll fail and i'll die doing it, but hell, i will be doing something

respectability will cage me no longer

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

not true for se++ since november 29, 2022, technically. you gotta log in to see stuff here and google hasn't been able to scrape anything after november 28th

Isn't that just a delay in what looks like a monthly or biweekly refresh of the index?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    This is a video game forum, so I think that we're saying is that it'd be funny if he died in Fortnite.

https://youtu.be/YSFa_wOZPXg

rhetorical, deplorable
    historical and, all along, we called it normal

i am in second puberty you better believe im gonna post paramore

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with if instead of billions of dollars Musk had zero dollars, and his dick fell off and he cried about it.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'd be fine with if instead of billions of dollars Musk had zero dollars, and his dick fell off and he cried about it.

Then he slipped on his dick and fell down the stairs face first into a toilet full of shit and drowned in it

JtgVX0H.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A head of lettuce

I noticed that I couldn’t see most of the channels when not logged recently (was connecting from a new machine)

Great change overall. Like, yeah sure someone could still create an account just for the purpose of scraping the forums, but at that point you are looking at someone with a specific axe to grind, and we are too small fry in the grand scheme of the internet for most anyone to care. So, that solves about 99.999% of scraping issues. Awesome!

Inquisitor on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    i am in second puberty you better believe im gonna post paramore

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Then he slipped on his dick and fell down the stairs face first into a toilet full of shit and drowned in it

also girls were watching and laughed at him

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Also, Elon isn't really funny. He hops on memes slower than a Slowpoke, and it always feels like your dad or some corporation trying to jump on trends that make you instantly cringe.

For example, his 'My pronouns are...' is sooooo old, that even the right wing doesn't use that joke much anymore. And using 'woke' just sounds like he's using internet lingo because he heard the kids these days used it. Next he'll be saying 'Based' and 'Cringe', without understanding the underlying meaning.

I’d say he uses woke lest because of that and more because the right has latched onto it now because “political correctness” as a term no longer holds any societal power

So they just appropriated “woke” from AAVE (since it was catching on from Black Twitter and filtering into mainstream twitter from there) and slapped the term onto their old usage of Political Correctness

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

Dave's an ass, but he's also very good at making jokes. Elon is an ass and he's not funny at all.
    Whatdoyamean? He was on SNL. Height of comedy there.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    the truly frustrating thing about the dr. fauci stuff is that he absolutely is a monster responsible for the deaths of millions, but that's all from his handling of the AIDS crisis and has nothing to do with whatever conservatives are mad about

Fauci might have been hobbled by the Trump Administration, but his saying as such meant that when Biden took over, he was lauded as a hero for saying how things should have been done differently... while nothing different was being done by the Biden Administration!

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

I saw that earlier and the wild thing to me was that Mudge was the one who whistleblew all this shit

If some significant cybersecurity thing is happening I swear Mudge is there

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    the truly frustrating thing about the dr. fauci stuff is that he absolutely is a monster responsible for the deaths of millions, but that's all from his handling of the AIDS crisis and has nothing to do with whatever conservatives are mad about

Fauci might have been hobbled by the Trump Administration, but his saying as such meant that when Biden took over, he was lauded as a hero for saying how things should have been done differently... while nothing different was being done by the Biden Administration!

vote blue no matter who

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Wow that Twitter whistleblower report…

Now I get why the entire security department got sacked (Pre-Musk).

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Twitter
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Wow that Twitter whistleblower report…

Now I get why the entire security department got sacked (Pre-Musk).

Yeah the lack of access control is pretty...yeeeeikes

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    While it is reassuring to know that some folks here know/trust those users, I have no idea who either are - can any context be provided around the twitter users being referenced for sake of legitimacy?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    While it is reassuring to know that some folks here know/trust those users, I have no idea who either are - can any context be provided around the twitter users being referenced for sake of legitimacy?

are you referring to the twitter whistleblower thread? It's a public document they are referencing, so I don't know what legitimacy they require. They're just taking parts of a huge document and highlighting them.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Twitter didn't monitor employee computers at all, it was not uncommon for employees to install spyware on work devices
    Twitter does not have separate development, test, staging, and production environments. At least 5,000 employees had privileged access to production systems.
    In 2020, Twitter had security incidents serious enough they had to be reported to the federal government on an almost weekly basis. Meanwhile, Parag Agarwal was lying about how secure Twitter was.
    On 1/6, Mudge (the whistleblower) wanted to take action to prevent potential sabotage by a rogue employee. He learned it was not possible for Twitter to secure its production environment.

holy SHIT

I've seen 5 people web shops with better devops and security. Musk basically blew his money on a complete dump

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Twitter didn't monitor employee computers at all, it was not uncommon for employees to install spyware on work devices
    Twitter does not have separate development, test, staging, and production environments. At least 5,000 employees had privileged access to production systems.
    In 2020, Twitter had security incidents serious enough they had to be reported to the federal government on an almost weekly basis. Meanwhile, Parag Agarwal was lying about how secure Twitter was.
    On 1/6, Mudge (the whistleblower) wanted to take action to prevent potential sabotage by a rogue employee. He learned it was not possible for Twitter to secure its production environment.

holy SHIT

I've seen 5 people web shops with better devops and security. Musk basically blew his money on a complete dump

He's going to use this to justify his crusade against the Woke Mind Virus

This discussion has been closed.