As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Science thread for space and earth and life and just all of that

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the angles these atoms are going are so hard to measure, I think we need a nuclear protractor

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Why would we need a nuclear butt doctor?!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

atomic wedgies

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Somebody's got to take care of the bottom quarks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Found out my butthole is ticklish when a butt doc put his finger in my butt and I couldn't stop giggling.

JtgVX0H.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This is very good! Between this and Quaise’s pretty aggressive timeline, we might have solved fossil fuels in a generation!

Some big hurdles still for fusion and large-scale geothermal, but this is good!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Elvenshae on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    And that's a wrap (except for the technical panel)!

Key takeaways: it's not ready to be plugged in to the grid just yet; it took ~300 MJ (?) from the wall to power 2 MJ of laser to drive 3 MJ of fusion, but that last part wasn't possible before. They're working with 1980s-ish laser tech, too, so now the focus is on 1) Can we do this more than once a day?, 2) Can we do this more easily and efficiently?, and 3) Seriously, how cool is this? Because now it indicates that this is possible, and advances here could also feedback into advances in magnetic fusion (the other main branch) and advance the whole thing. Lots of work to be done - no longer 5 decades away, as it has been since the 60s - but there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Some idiot journalist (Bloomberg News) asked why, if the ignition happened last week, we were just hearing about it now. Director of the Lab had a great comment that it's because the data isn't easy, they pulled in all of their experts to review it, and then they peer reviewed it with an outside team before releasing info because it was important to get the facts right before they shared them.

Had some good commentary from a gentleman whose name I didn't catch on how us making advances here reassures our allies around the world that we still know what we're doing WRT nuclear research, and therefore it supports our deterrence and nonproliferation aims (ahem, Russia).

Elvenshae on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    https://youtu.be/Eke5PawU7rE

YouTube Conference archive

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    And that's a wrap (except for the technical panel)!

Key takeaways: it's not ready to be plugged in to the grid just yet; it took ~300 MJ (?) from the wall to power 2 MJ of laser to drive 3 MJ of fusion, but that last part wasn't possible before. They're working with 1980s-ish laser tech, too, so now the focus is on 1) Can we do this more than once a day?, 2) Can we do this more easily and efficiently?, and 3) Seriously, how cool is this? Because now it indicates that this is possible, and advances here could also feedback into advances in magnetic fusion (the other main branch) and advance the whole thing. Lots of work to be done - no longer 5 decades away, as it has been since the 60s - but there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Some idiot journalist (Bloomberg News) asked why, if the ignition happened last week, we were just hearing about it now. Director of the Lab had a great comment that it's because the data isn't easy, they pulled in all of their experts to review it, and then they peer reviewed it with an outside team before releasing info because it was important to get the facts right before they shared them.

Had some good commentary from a gentleman whose name I didn't catch on how us making advances here reassures our allies around the world that we still know what we're doing WRT nuclear research, and therefore it supports our deterrence and nonproliferation aims (ahem, Russia).

Did they elaborate more on the “1980s-ish laser tech”? Is that something that could be upgraded in the near term, would it drop the power requirements coming in to power them for a similar result, etc?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s true though that the 80s are when the raddest lasers come from

Wait if it took 300 MJ of power to run the reactor to produce 3 MJ of energy from a fusion reaction in what sense was it net positive

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    thats a weird moniker "80s laser technology"

my car drives on like... 60s tire technology.... there's just not many places to go from there...

is there a super duper modern laser just sitting on the lab floor somewhere?

does the tech come in and its like "hey you want to use this obviously better laser? the fate of human kind is sort of on the line here?" and the director just says nah maybe later

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    It’s true though that the 80s are when the raddest lasers come from

syFASgx.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Wait if it took 300 MJ of power to run the reactor to produce 3 MJ of energy from a fusion reaction in what sense was it net positive

As I understand it, it was 300 MJ in startup, and then a 2MJ injection to produce 3MJ. Why that matters is that if one of these could be made that would run continuously, it would make back the startup 300 MJ energy cost.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    300MJs??

I thought this was the science thread, not the movie thread where the new into the spider verse trailer is being discussed!!!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The main problem is that so far it only produces that crawly bright blue 80s electricity, which isn't compatible with most modern devices.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

As I understand it, it was 300 MJ in startup, and then a 2MJ injection to produce 3MJ. Why that matters is that if one of these could be made that would run continuously, it would make back the startup 300 MJ energy cost.

Ah I see. Ok so proof that it can hypothetically work if they can refine the thing to run continuously. Still a long way to go.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

my car drives on like... 60s tire technology.... there's just not many places to go from there...

does the tech come in and its like "hey you want to use this obviously better laser? the fate of human kind is sort of on the line here?" and the director just says nah maybe later

The NIF was designed and first started construction in the mid 90s, so yes it was designed with the "1980's laser" tech available at the time. There are modern laser designs that have 1000-100000 times more peak intensity, but to utilize them would require rebuilding the whole facility. It's a bit like saying a jet engine would make your car faster and while true it's not exactly a drop-in replacement for the gas engine that's there. There are other facilities around the world that use these more powerful lasers, though I'm not sure if any are currently being used to study inertial confinement fusion.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Jasconius wrote: »

The NIF was designed and first started construction in the mid 90s, so yes it was designed with the "1980's laser" tech available at the time. There are modern laser designs that have 1000-100000 times more peak intensity, but to utilize them would require rebuilding the whole facility. It's a bit like saying a jet engine would make your car faster and while true it's not exactly a drop-in replacement for the gas engine that's there. There are other facilities around the world that use these more powerful lasers, though I'm not sure if any are currently being used to study inertial confinement fusion.

Does this new step forward provide enough potential for this process we might see investment in a new facility that uses modern lasers?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    hL6sfbBl.png

Text:
    It's been a big year for the clitoris.

In January, scientists discovered bottlenose dolphins have a large S-shaped clitoris that might be better placed for pleasure than our own species' version.

And just last month, researchers realized they had once again underestimated the female sex organ, when a study showed more than ten thousand nerve endings innervate the human female erogenous organ.

https://www.sciencealert.com/now-that-theyve-actually-looked-scientists-discover-snakes-have-two-clitorises

Snake Cliiiiiiiiiiiiits

Brolo on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0TuIPoeBs

Very cool materials science stuff.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Remember Biogen's drug, Aduhelm? The horribly expensive boondoggle that doesn't help Alzheimer's patients but was approved by the FDA somehow despite the lack of efficacy?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/fda-official-behind-alzheimers-drug-scandal-steps-down/

edited March 2023
    https://science.anu.edu.au/news-events/news/bouncing-seismic-waves-reveal-distinct-layer-earths-inner-core
    Data captured from seismic waves caused by earthquakes has shed new light on the deepest parts of Earth’s inner core, according to seismologists from The Australian National University (ANU).

By measuring the different speeds at which these waves penetrate and pass through the Earth’s inner core, the researchers believe they’ve documented evidence of a distinct layer inside Earth known as the innermost inner core – a solid ‘metallic ball’ that sits within the centre of the inner core.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    https://science.anu.edu.au/news-events/news/bouncing-seismic-waves-reveal-distinct-layer-earths-inner-core
    Data captured from seismic waves caused by earthquakes has shed new light on the deepest parts of Earth’s inner core, according to seismologists from The Australian National University (ANU).

By measuring the different speeds at which these waves penetrate and pass through the Earth’s inner core, the researchers believe they’ve documented evidence of a distinct layer inside Earth known as the innermost inner core – a solid ‘metallic ball’ that sits within the centre of the inner core.

What about the mole people

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    What about the mole people?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Exactly

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    we had a mole man, he died though.

he lived way out in the woods. according to the cops, in a network of like, Viet Cong tunnels he dug.
    oh, I should mention he was very crazy. he was nice and a very good woodsman, but odd as a duck and completely lacking social skills

I met him a few times, he was like a druid. on weekends or after storms, he'd hang out near the lot you park in to access those woods, and give hikers directions around washed out trails, and recommend cool spots. one time he brought me to this little creek that turned into a little waterfall that poured into a little hole. I threw some rocks in the hole but didn't even hear a splash.

I guess what I'm saying is, mole people are cool. it's those dang sleestaks you gotta watch out for

How embarrassing

Innermost inner core?

None more inner?

I call this inner core that has surpassed the inner core, or inner core 2 for short

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    inner co2e

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I saw a thing on Instagram of all places, which showed "the solar system how we usually think of it" which was the standard 2D image of planets orbiting around the static sun, and then "the solar system as it really is" which was a 3D graphic of the sun flying through space with all the planets spiraling around it, and I've never really thought about how the sun is moving around the galaxy like the planets are moving around the sun, and it's made me feel very small.

If you want to really blow your mind, the galaxy is ALSO moving

But yeah it just depends on your reference point

BahamutZERO.gif
    The galaxy is moving around too

It’s moving around your butt

My butt??

BahamutZERO.gif
    YOUR butt.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    PBS Space Time, which is a show that I love and watch regularly even if I often have to watch an episode a few times to fully grasp it, has an excellent video about how the solar system moves around YOUR butt.

https://youtu.be/1lPJ5SX5p08

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Bzero can you shuffle closer to that great attractor so we can take a look and astrophysicists can shut up about it

5gsowHm.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If you want to really blow your mind, the galaxy is ALSO moving

But yeah it just depends on your reference point

I keep imagining the planets losing grip on the sun and being left behind as it wooshes away and having little anxiety attacks

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The lack of universal reference frame and all motion being relative leads to an amusing conclusion - you can say the earth is the center of the (observable) universe and be right, everything does revolve around it. (Doesn't stop the math being simpler when you fix the sun in place instead!)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy