As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warframe] WHEEE x69

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So, not very impressed with the Perigale.

12 round mag on a sniper rifle isn't bad, but it shoots in four round bursts so you really only get three shots. Ammo max is 24 for everyone except Voruna who gets 48. Four consecutive headshots (including multishot) procs 100% ammo efficiency for four seconds.

Sounds not bad, only unless you are in Steel Path the enemy is probably dead from your teammates AOEs by the time your hits land, so I hope you enjoy the interminable three second reload.

For solo it's not too bad, but I wouldn't use this on any frame but Voruna for the Sniper Wolf memes.

Four consecutive headshots. Or a headshot kill.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the perigale. Super fun, but I go for headshots almost constantly regardless of situation. I imagine in a public mission using a conditional sniper is less than ideal.

I just listed to Vorunas Leverian entry for the first time. At the end they say she is now the "Heart of the Pack" Is that a reference to Burrich from the Realm of the Elderlings series? Tugged at my heart when I heard that. If you had read them you'd for sure cry from the reference and how well it fits.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    kralizecc wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the perigale. Super fun, but I go for headshots almost constantly regardless of situation. I imagine in a public mission using a conditional sniper is less than ideal.

I just listed to Vorunas Leverian entry for the first time. At the end they say she is now the "Heart of the Pack" Is that a reference to Burrich from the Realm of the Elderlings series? Tugged at my heart when I heard that. If you had read them you'd for sure cry from the reference and how well it fits.

I wonder how many people caught that
    the child that Voruna saved on Lua was her own Operator, because I missed the first time.

Hellbore wrote: »

I wonder how many people caught that
    the child that Voruna saved on Lua was her own Operator, because I missed the first time.

It seemed pretty blatant
    What other reason for a child recognizing a warframe, personally, could there be. The link to burrich seemed deliberate as well, though I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with each other. Burrich standing in the way of a body swapping evil dude who inhabited a stone dragon, who was after his child, standing in its path and dropping it just before he was brought down, and also being known as heart of pack by his loving doggos was pretty a pretty heart wrenching vision doubling.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    In the Voruna splash screen is that Nezha (Prime) in the background?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There's one thing I must have missed during my long break. I did The Sacrifice back when it was new and shiny, and then (spoilers up to The New War)
    When did Ballas get weirdo Sentient legs? Feels like he just showed up with them all of a sudden. Did I miss some live event?

Echo wrote: »
    There's one thing I must have missed during my long break. I did The Sacrifice back when it was new and shiny, and then (spoilers up to The New War)
    When did Ballas get weirdo Sentient legs? Feels like he just showed up with them all of a sudden. Did I miss some live event?
    At the end of The Sacrifice we, as Excalibur Umbra, stab him to death. Lotus-as-Natah comes and picks up his body and escapes with it. The next time we see him, in the Chimera Prologue, Natah has resurrected Ballas using Sentinent technology and he's the Sentient-Orokin-hybrid-Ballas that we hate just as much as the old Ballas

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's super unclearly told, a big problem I have with the warframe story stuff

BahamutZERO.gif
    it's super unclearly told, a big problem I have with the warframe story stuff

I like that part.
    a. It makes me feel clever when I figure it out. Even the small stuff like "Oh shit. It's the man in the wall. AND HE'S MISSING A FINGER!"
    b. It keeps the warframe lore nerds on their toes (and has provided us with some amazing theorycrafting over the years).
    c. It makes the story feel more real to me. Things never fit neatly together except in movies and crime novels. There are always pieces of the puzzle missing where you have to use reasoning and assumptions to fill in the blanks.

I totally agree. I love nitty gritty details that like real life don't have an even or logical distribution. The more the better, I want to experience a world that's obviously bigger than my expectations or ability to easily plot out myself, I want things to not make sense but in a good, creative way that illustrates a style I love while still telling a story I want to keep reading.

I also like all those things in the systems and mechanics games have. The longer it takes me to figure things out thoroughly enough to start being a munchkin, the better.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    This is one of the few games that doesn't cutscene exposition absolutely everything, and I really appreciate it. I don't need things to go full FromSoft "not telling you anything" but I really do like piecing some things together myself, and not just listening to Monologue #34211-A.

There is a vast gulf between fromsoft's vague connect the dots yourself storytelling and DE's schizophrenic nonsense IMO.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I like DE's stuff generally but The New War reeked of being too long in the oven.
    Like I don't need my fiction to be 100% grounded, but eternalism is so nebulously and inconsistently applied to the world that it honestly just feels like an in-universe excuse for why you can kill the same bosses multiple times or a get-out-of-jail-free card for any deaths, which is lame.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I like DE's stuff generally but The New War reeked of being too long in the oven.
    Like I don't need my fiction to be 100% grounded, but eternalism is so nebulously and inconsistently applied to the world that it honestly just feels like an in-universe excuse for why you can kill the same bosses multiple times or a get-out-of-jail-free card for any deaths, which is lame.

That's kind of a weird read on it, it's pretty much just many worlds theory with a new label. It also hasn't touched any of the game except for the new stuff, it's not some kind of post hoc handwave for anything.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think it's intended to be an excuse for any of the Standard MMO Bullshit; you're (still) just supposed to ignore that stuff for the sake of story.

Aw man they fixed the Wolf Sledge so that it can no longer infinitely spam heavy.

while I'm not a fan of the asymmetric aesthetic at all and Xaku's is taken to the nines... the kit itself is nice. I look forward to the oxymoron that would be Xaku Prime. All the finest pieces and tech, mashed together in a single disjointed looking frame. wooo? :V

So I got a buddy into Warframe two days ago and he likes the stealthy snipey playstyle a lot (even though most of Warframe is GOTTAGOFAST). Today I told him that maybe Ivara might be something to look at, showed the Ivara reveal trailer, happened to mention that Ivara Prime is available right now, and five minutes later he bought her.

I'd tell him to maybe hold his horses a little bit but I know he's a software engineer with chonky disposable income. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xaku is crazy good, like revenant if you keep on top of his power timer synergy. That aoe full armor strip is So Big, and you can have two of them going at once. I think he was the second frame I put an umbral forma into. Went five forma deep on him as soon as he was baked. I am a big hater on asymmetry and cloth or soft textures mixed with armor, but I do like glowy bits and his tubes are cool. Not a fan of his delux skin, I like the theme they went with, it's an art/craft I enjoy but I'd like it more if it was just full ceramic armor with asymmetric golden weld lines all over.

I'm a big fan of the everettian interpretation of quantum mechanics, I think it describes things as well as we can hope to do so with current technology and am happy they used it to flesh out the magic world of warframe. I just wish they'd do some exposition on how it actually works, linking it to the current (theoretical) science behind it and where the warframe magic breaks the rules and how.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Xaku is crazy good, like revenant if you keep on top of his power timer synergy. That aoe full armor strip is So Big, and you can have two of them going at once. I think he was the second frame I put an umbral forma into. Went five forma deep on him as soon as he was baked. I am a big hater on asymmetry and cloth or soft textures mixed with armor, but I do like glowy bits and his tubes are cool. Not a fan of his delux skin, I like the theme they went with, it's an art/craft I enjoy but I'd like it more if it was just full ceramic armor with asymmetric golden weld lines all over.

ah, kintsugiframe.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    All I know about Xaku is that he's the "I steal all of your guns" frame and as such I absolutely loved him.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So I got a buddy into Warframe two days ago and he likes the stealthy snipey playstyle a lot (even though most of Warframe is GOTTAGOFAST). Today I told him that maybe Ivara might be something to look at, showed the Ivara reveal trailer, happened to mention that Ivara Prime is available right now, and five minutes later he bought her.

I'd tell him to maybe hold his horses a little bit but I know he's a software engineer with chonky disposable income. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's how I got into Warframe, and thank God I did. If I had forced myself to use my starter for any length of time, I probably would have bounced off the game and never come back. Instead, I spent $5 on a more specialized frame that matched my preferred playstyle right after the very first mission, before I was even finished with the tutorial quest, and fell in love with the game for years.

I suspect DE knows a significant amount of players have this mentality, which is why a 75% off plat coupon is always the first log-in reward. Some people are always going to be willing to pay a little bit of money to get exactly what they want right away, rather than settling for something else just because it's free.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

That's how I got into Warframe, and thank God I did. If I had forced myself to use my starter for any length of time, I probably would have bounced off the game and never come back. Instead, I spent $5 on a more specialized frame that matched my preferred playstyle right after the very first mission, before I was even finished with the tutorial quest, and fell in love with the game for years.

I suspect DE knows a significant amount of players have this mentality, which is why a 75% off plat coupon is always the first log-in reward. Some people are always going to be willing to pay a little bit of money to get exactly what they want right away, rather than settling for something else just because it's free.

My preferred play style was "shoot things with guns," so the frame I used didn't matter much. I didn't build another frame until I was like, most of the way through the star chart. Even then it was just Oberon lol

JtgVX0H.png
    I lucked out in that excalibur was basically my favorite from the start lol

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited December 2022
    Xaku has a mind control ability which, unlike those of Nyx and Revenant, scales the number of targets that can be effected to your ability strength. This technically makes Xaku the best army builder in the game. A squad of four Xaku built for strength and range can easily convert over 100 enemies to their side.

Of course, there are caveats that make this impractical. The effect will only last 11.6 seconds unless some strength or range is sacrificed to buff duration. Unlike Nyx's thralls, Xaku's thralls are still susceptible to friendly fire. The Thralls' damage isn't buffed at all, making their offensive potential against their former comrades increasingly limited in higher level content. The opportunity cost from using Xaku's other abilities less is considerable.

But it's a fun theoretical possibility to imagine.

Ivan Hunger on
    Yeah, Xaku combines a lot of things I do with other frames I play often into one messy looking frame (Nyx and Rev are frames I play a lot in particular).

Though in the long haul I'll probably only end up using for smashing boxes since it gives me the smash without the Rift plane mechanic. :V

Xaku has a LOT of attrative features. The passive gives you 25% damage reduction (25% chance of dodging projectiles, -25% AoE damage). 1 gives bonus damage to guns (and void is great). 2 gives gun-stealing for passive damage and some CC. 4 puts all other timers on stasis, breaks crates in a large radius, damages&CCs enemies (damage, void damage vulnerability and slow) and ups the defensive dodge to 75%.

3 is also very useful, but very unintuitive. The Gaze ability is not the one that shoots beams (that's Deny). No, the Gaze ability turns an enemy into an AoE Shield/armor debuff. Deny is pretty straight forward, shooting beams (plus extra beams for stolen guns). Accuse is also pretty unintuitive in that you need to aim at the floor to position the effect (if you aim at enemies you might not hit at all).

also kind of wish voidshell worked more like Anthem's materials and I could just apply them to all the skins I had. :Λ

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Xaku is "Mr. Steal Your Guns", and I just don't see why I'd want to do anything else.

Apart from run around like a spooky skeleton and hope I find someone dressed like David S. Pumpkins. That's also good.

I use him to swipe weapons and obliterate everything without actually playing. If built for it, he devastates steel path with his armor strip and 15 or so guns, 19 if I lose some other stats. He's surprisingly good at nearly every mode, just wish he had a skin I really liked.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    not to be That Pronouns Guy about Fictional Characters, but Xaku's a "They/Them." They're literally 3 warframes glued together. They're a they. There's three of them (held together by space duct tape).

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    I use him to swipe weapons and obliterate everything without actually playing. If built for it, he devastates steel path with his armor strip and 15 or so guns, 19 if I lose some other stats. He's surprisingly good at nearly every mode, just wish he had a skin I really liked.

Xaku is a fun frame to play when you have the map up to ignore the looks. :V

not to be That Pronouns Guy about Fictional Characters, but Xaku's a "They/Them." They're literally 3 warframes glued together. They're a they. There's three of them (held together by space duct tape).

Like Venom from Spider-Man. If Xaku could talk, they would definitely use "We" and "Us" as their first person subjective and objective respectively.

I see xaku as more like voltron. On top of me not likeing the asymmetrical aspect of the delux skin, the ephemera that comes with it seems to be immune to color changing. the physical looking bits are black, which I like, and the shiny portion is white which fits my normal black and white theme, but I prefer to use mixes of electric blue, green, and magenta for emmisive and energy looks.

also kind of wish voidshell worked more like Anthem's materials and I could just apply them to all the skins I had. :Λ

They'd have to do a lot of rework to add the texture layers to existing skins, but on the other hand now that they have the tech I'd expect more skins in that vein in the future.

So far it's just been the default skins in voidshel, but I imagine they'll turn those tools loose for tennogen at some point if they haven't already

Oh look it's an Ayatan sculpture.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmIOMEKtHSU/

edited December 2022

They'd have to do a lot of rework to add the texture layers to existing skins, but on the other hand now that they have the tech I'd expect more skins in that vein in the future.

They could in theory handle it like the PBR treatment*. Even if it were restricted to DE skins (Immortal, Deluxe, etc)... it'd feel less meh than the offering as it is. Hopefully all new official skins they make will support voidshell by default.

edit: where here you would buy access to voidshells per warframe and then the skins that support it would be available to customize. basically like a palette.

tastydonuts on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Im hoping to group up and test crossplay between my PS4 and some PC friendos... I take it we cant visit each others Dojos, or add each other as friends, but squadding up shouldn't be an issue?

Witchsight.png
    Well, another hotfix today, and still no fix for their screw up of Prolonged Paralysis. At this point, going into the Christmas break, doesn't seem like they're going to fix it - it'll just become another in a long string of 'we can't spend development time on a thing we broke but not many people use.' I'm feeling pretty fed up at this point, because this isn't an isolated thing, and lack of QA and testing has seemingly become the norm.

This discussion has been closed.