As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - For The Birds

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

For The Birds!

Penny Arcade - Comic - For The Birds

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Damnit, Jerry Tycho, no. Your offspring are people (at least in potentia), not blank slates to write upon, mere extensions of yourself, or experiments. And definitely not victims for your word crimes.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    All of their kids now being old enough to have conversations really makes me feel old.

What is this I don't even.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Cloacas is what Penny-Arcade needed to reel in that zoomer demographic.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    All of their kids now being old enough to have conversations really makes me feel old.

It is kinda strange that the adults are frozen in time like your typical animated sitcom family, but the kids are aging mostly in real time? Not sure of any other comic/cartoon where time works like this.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    The most shocking thing is that both PA Archive search and pipefour could only find one cloaca strip prior to this one.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Dirty wrote: »

It is kinda strange that the adults are frozen in time like your typical animated sitcom family, but the kids are aging mostly in real time? Not sure of any other comic/cartoon where time works like this.

There was a period of Mike's refining his art where Gabe (the father) was getting younger looking while his kids aged. There are some comics where Gabe (the father) looks more like a big brother than a dad.

YoungFrey on
    edited December 2022
    I am curious what the approach to them will be when the real life kids are as old as Gabe and Tycho appear to be drawn as. I see 4 options.
    • Freeze the kids at the early teens to maintain some kind of age difference
    • Give G&T some gray hair and wrinkles
    • Depict G&T and their kids looking the same age, and perhaps making meta-jokes about it
    • Retire

Dirty on
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Somebody was flexing their long shiny hair drawing skills.

It's great that the other characters evolve while they stay the same.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Impressive mirror tech. It really captures the subject in detail with no loss of quality.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Impressive mirror tech. It really captures the subject in detail with no loss of quality.

RTX enabled.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean it makes sense Gabe and Tycho don't age as that's the comic, but when Mike and Jerry show up in the strips they look more their actual age.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Obviously Tycho's daughter being part bird is ridiculous

...because we know he has a thing for giraffes

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

el_vicio wrote: »
    Obviously Tycho's daughter being part bird is ridiculous

...because we know he has a thing for giraffes

Ahem.

mog63wfh2shm.png

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    Man, at first glance I thought that was Ann.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    I think Jerry had a post about her wedding.

Not feeling old enough yet? That post was like five years ago.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2022
    Sterica wrote: »

I mean... she's imaginary. Given the continuity of the strip, where Gabe and Tycho are both married (separately) with children, unmarried and live together, unmarried and live in separate houses, or where Jerry and Mike also exist and have the same children... it's hard to really make much of that.

dennis on
  • MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/06/24/nightlight

This one? 7 years ago ugh

MaryAmelia on
    edited December 2022

I can think of at least two comics where time works differently for characters:

Peanuts - Sally Brown went from being born to being of school age while the rest of the crew didn't age.

Mafalda - Guile went from being born to speaking and walking normally while the rest of the crew aged one year.

Djiem on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Apu's octuplets were conceived, born and reached walking age while no other kids on The Simpsons aged at all

Also a horse in the episode where Bart uses voodoo to help couples conceive

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    dennis wrote: »

I mean... she's imaginary. Given the continuity of the strip, where Gabe and Tycho are both married (separately) with children, unmarried and live together, unmarried and live in separate houses, or where Jerry and Mike also exist and have the same children... it's hard to really make much of that.
    This post was about the real-life inspiration. I’m sure it’s not 1:1.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2022

This post was about the real-life inspiration. I’m sure it’s not 1:1.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the real life inspiration for how she looked.

I'm more shook by the ages of their kids, who I can remember being born. Especially Gabe.

dennis on
    Djiem wrote: »

I can think of at least two comics where time works differently for characters:

Peanuts - Sally Brown went from being born to being of school age while the rest of the crew didn't age.

Mafalda - Guile went from being born to speaking and walking normally while the rest of the crew aged one year.

Good examples. I didn't know Sally wasn't one of the original Peanuts gang. I had never heard of Mafalda before this comment.

Though this did make me think of a similar example on the show Rugrats. They introduce a little brother for Tommy, but the other babies don't seem to age at all over the course of the pregnancy and birth. I know we're only talking months, but we're talking about babies, where a few months can be a huge difference.

• PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the real life inspiration for how she looked.
    I dunno about that, the post mentions that the wedding dance involved a lightsaber duel.

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular

Not just Sally. Lucy, Linus, Rerun, and Schroeder all debuted as infants.

Powers &8^]

edited December 2022
    LtPowers wrote: »

Not just Sally. Lucy, Linus, Rerun, and Schroeder all debuted as infants.

This makes it especially amusing that Linus and Charlie Brown are in the same classroom, implying they are in the same grade. Either Linus is a child prodigy or Charlie Brown got held back.

Wanna feel old? If the cast aged in real time, Rerun would be 50 years old right now.

Djiem on
    Bart and Homer Simpson would be 45 and 69 if they aged in real time from their debut on The Tracey Ullman Show.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Nice

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This PvP comic is my favorite commentary on the weird nature of time and comics (made 13 years ago):
    abgd87ynruop.png

Fun thing I learned today: only the last 2 years of PvP are viewable for free anymore. So as much as I'd like to link that comic, I can't.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Bart and Homer Simpson would be 45 and 69 if they aged in real time from their debut on The Tracey Ullman Show.

I've never been pro-death penalty until now

• Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    About the last panel, honestly, it suffice that someone in her class know that her Dad write a webcomic. If someone, in someway learned about that, then someone (not necesarilly the same someone) will end up looking it up to see what it's like. Especially if they're aware that some comic mention her.