As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Arborist's Dilemma

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

The Arborist's Dilemma!

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Arborist's Dilemma

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    What's wrong with Willow? I enjoyed the first two episodes. I might even watch more!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I think a few folks were grumped that it didn't follow the books from the early 90s. Probably too dark for Disney to use as as source material though.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Jerry tweeted about it a few days ago. He didn't go into very much specifics, but from context it sounds as if it ignores and/or is not true to the original movie. I don't recall him mentioning anything at all about the books in his tweets. He said he gave up on it on episode 3.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Ah, that makes sense. I have no particular attachment to the movie, but I can clearly see why someone with a longtime connection could find that scene (and all the plot that flows from it) objectionable. It'd be pretty easy to give up on the series if you think the post-movie actions of the characters are completely out of character

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This is really unfortunate. I don't know Willow as well as I know something like The Dark Crystal, but I was hoping it would get similar praise for finding a way to make a satisfying continuation of the original.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Willow was huge for me. One of my earliest memories of falling in love with fantasy.

And I absolutely love the show. The TV thread some others have the same feeling so see how it feels for you. might be quite different than what Jerry is feeling.

Even rewatched the film with my SO before the show since she never saw it and we are both loving the show so far.

Its like ragtag DnD party, The Show. And explores the setting in all sorts of fun ways.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid. I guess I should give it another watch on Disney+ one of these days.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Willow was huge for me. One of my earliest memories of falling in love with fantasy.

And I absolutely love the show. The TV thread some others have the same feeling so see how it feels for you. might be quite different than what Jerry is feeling.

Even rewatched the film with my SO before the show since she never saw it and we are both loving the show so far.

Its like ragtag DnD party, The Show. And explores the setting in all sorts of fun ways.

Thank you for this! I might give it a try. Willow is a founding fantasy film for me, so I've been a bit stressed about staining it at all.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Tycho wrote:
    The main issue with Disney Plus shows in general is that they're incredibly uneven. Sometimes you don't even know episode to episode if the show you're even watching is good; there are outliers, but holy shit.[...] I mean the pacing and even the order of events doesn't reflect consideration or even enthusiasm. This is how you spend money when money doesn't matter. It's like a wise faerie is trying to teach them something about the limits of material wealth and they aren't getting it. The budget is not the problem, here. The problem is who they give the budget to and what those people do with it.

It's like… hm. I think the fourth episode of WIllow is better than the third episode, that's the one that came out today and is the best one yet, but their shows are always doing shit like this. I have no idea where I am in the arc. I think there are good pieces here, and little green sprouts of characters I want to know more about. I like the people in front of the camera, they're doing their level best. But based on what we have seen already, it's not up to them.

He could be describing the slate of Star Trek shows on Paramount+ here. At least Discovery and Picard; the others aren't going for overarching storylines.

Powers &8^]

LtPowers on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I liked the first two episodes but the third was so bad I've been firmly put off watching more.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.