As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Realistically, the games I played the most are probably Honkai Impact 3rd and Dissidia Opera Omnia

Aside from that, lesse...

Tactics Ogre Reborn
    Midnight Suns
    Persona 5 Royal
    Super Robot Wars 30
    Vampire Survivors

List feels pretty back loaded with Tactics Ogre and Midnight Suns on there, but I really hit those two hard during my vacation, and I've been feeling too burned out to play a lot of games that aren't on my phone this year

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I'm watching Giant Bomb's GOTY stuff, and has Jess ever explained her hate for Immortality? She is very vehemently against it but I don't think I've heard her say why.

• Options
    She hates Sam Barlow's games, has said previously that he makes the same game over and over again

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    My most played games this year are Fall Guys, Elden Ring and Apex Legends.

But lately I've been getting back into Spelunky.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    if I had to guess my top played games this year were Pokemon Scarlet, Gotham Knights, Midnight Suns, Lego Star Wars and...I dunno, SWTOR?

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Most played was elden ring this year with guilty gear strive and xenoblade 3 as runners up

• Options
    Oh shit, somehow I forgot about Elden Ring devouring a few months early in the year, uh yeah add that to my list

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I played a bunch of Monster Hunter Rise/Sunbreak this year, though I generally do a lot less Monster Huntering with each iteration. Also the power creep has been silly with the title updates, so I figure I'll wait a bit and let more stuff come out before I revisit it.

But no surprise, Project Zomboid consumed mostly all of my gaming time this year, helped tremendously due to the Steam Deck. I'm pretty sure PZ has surpassed New Vegas as my most played game on Steam.

Not bad for a $13 game that's still in early access.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Dwarf Fortress update: My tutorial fort is still chugging along, forgot to post any updates lately. I tend to play fairly cautiously, so it hasn't been super eventful.

We're a barony now, as of a year or two ago. Due to a high number of moods, we've actually exported some pretty expensive artifacts.

It's the beginning of year 6 and we just finally got around to making a little reservoir and a well now that we have a couple injuries and need a hospital.

We have one full squad with no armor, but we're absolutely swimming in various metal bars so we'll get to that soon.
    A crash ate my elaborate barracks I made for them, so I'll have to rebuild that soon.

The elves are pissed because of all the lumberjacking.

We have, I think, a goblin warrior of some kind residing in the fort, which is interesting.

Two major ongoing projects are: fortifying the hill we dug down into, and also walling off part of the caverns for farming and such. We have... a LOT of caged cave critters that I'm not sure what to do with yet.

We have a church on the surface I'm pretty proud of; it's behind the walls, and made entirely out of metal bars with a solid gold altar. It's to the God of wealth, so that seemed appropriate.

Despite some minor gripes and annoyances here and there I am LOVING DF premium. What a great game.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to see time played on Steam by year? I know I put time into games this year that weren't released this year, but time has folded over on itself and I'm not sure what was 2022 versus any other year.

Like I know I beat Yakuza 0 this year, but I'm pretty sure most of my 84 hours played were in 2021.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It's 2032, someone will ask their phone to generate Skynet.

The world ends.

have you seen what ai art looks like?

It'd be way too janky and sloppy to do anything.

That's why it will decide that instead of making its art more accurate to humans, it will make humans more accurate to its art.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Is there a way to see time played on Steam by year? I know I put time into games this year that weren't released this year, but time has folded over on itself and I'm not sure what was 2022 versus any other year.

Like I know I beat Yakuza 0 this year, but I'm pretty sure most of my 84 hours played were in 2021.

There is not, you just have to guess.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    My top played is definitely FFXIV, after playing through Shadowbringers post-patches and Endwalker.
    My PS5 recap says my most played there is fuckin Cyberpunk which feels shameful lmao, after I spent so long trashing it.

Other games I played a ton of:
    • Me and my friends played a LOT of Among Us and the Jackbox Party Pack series, every friday we have game nights and play some combination of those and Codenames (via https://codenames.game/)
    • Similarly, me and a couple of my guys played Halo MCC and Infinite a bunch, we played Warzone for a while (though Warzone 2/DMZ never caught on), and started a Borderlands 3 run
    • Destiny 2 continues to probably be my most played game on Steam, though I really backed off it in the 2nd half of the year (got a lot to do this season though, before the next expansion hits, Witch Queen was GREAT)
    • Monster Hunter Rise I played a ton on Switch, but I still haven't beaten the expansion lol. I also bought Splatoon 3 which I have a very on again/off again relationship with, as my posts in the Splatoon thread can attest.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Most played would be Elden Ring for sure, followed by Ys 9 Monstrum Nox, and now Genshin Impact is occupying my attention for a spell

Three games in one year, that's actually pretty good for me.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Most played games:
    Scarlet Nexus: 100%-ing this was not an effective use of my time, but I kind of got stuck in at a certain point. Not awful, I enjoyed a lot of the visuals and combat once I got used to it, but the plot was just... bad. Which for an RPG full to bursting with cutscenes... is a bad sign. Some of the character loyalty episodes were well done, I'll give it that much.

Assassin's Creed Unity: A nightmare. It might have killed my affection for the series completely. The insult to injury was definitely the co-op being non-functional, despite that being the reason I chose to play it at this time. Not sure I'll ever want to move on to Syndicate.

Cyberpunk 2077: Decided to give this a chance for the first time because I loved the anime (this decision is so popular, it's kind of a cliche). It's both pretty good and pretty rough, all at once. It marketed itself as a choice and consequence game, and it mostly falls flat by that metric... except certain parts that got more TLC and are more impressive about that. Getting 100% turns this into a rather bad Ubisoft game (nowhere near as bad as Unity, though), I don't recommend going through with all the Scanner Hustles, stick to the major named subquests instead. Kind of want to write more about this one (I saved a bunch of screenshots), so I'll cut off the ramble here.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite: The year's co-op winner. Just sort of aimlessly shot the aliens while shooting the shit with the bro squad. A very 7/10 game elevated by using the license well (for once).

I played both Death's Door and Tunic this year, both similar but very much worth playing in their own ways. Come to think of it, Unsighted is kind of in this wheelhouse as well...

Other things of note: I spent the early months of the year going through Remedy's entire catalogue. Quantum Break, Max Payne 1 and 2, and Alan Wake, the DLC & American Nightmares. I LOVE their dumb obsession with cheesy podcasts, videos, puppet shows, bad television shows, etc. The best lore and collectibles in games, for my interests. Playing through all of them, you come to the shocking realization that the kind of iffy Jesse from Control is easily their most likeable, non douchey protagonist. Not that I hate all the leads (I enjoy all of them save the twerp from Quantum Break), but they're kind of uniformly edgy jerks who cause just as many problems for themselves as they solve. I played a lot of indie stuff, of those, AI Somnium Files and the two FAR games stand out. I played through all of Metroid Dread this year, but it feels like I played it much longer ago than that. I'm actually still gunning at my backlog before year's end, I might be literally the slowest person in the world for clearing Uncharted The Lost Legacy.

• Options
    Now my Mayor-Baron is meeting with a human chancellor...high up in a tree outside the fort, instead of in his fancy office.

The humans seem to really dig our whole deal, and the chancellor and our mayor seem to have found a mutual interest in parkour or something, so great. I'm all for it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Scarlet Nexus was the winner of the "Wait I'm Not Actually Having Fun Anymore So Why Am I Still Playing This" award last year for me wherein I suddenly realized I was not enjoying the game anymore and actively wondered why I was playing it when I could drop it and play something else. So I did.

I will endure obnoxious gameplay for a decent story and it couldn't even give me that.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Now my Mayor-Baron is meeting with a human chancellor...high up in a tree outside the fort, instead of in his fancy office.

The humans seem to really dig our whole deal, and the chancellor and our mayor seem to have found a mutual interest in parkour or something, so great. I'm all for it.

I made my Mayor the Baron, as well.

As the first Mayron, he has been afforded and elaborate iron tomb attached to the large non-denominational temple on the fifth level of our city.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

I made my Mayor the Baron, as well.

As the first Mayron, he has been afforded and elaborate iron tomb attached to the large non-denominational temple on the fifth level of our city.

I gave mine the fanciest digs I could with statues and floors of engraved silver and the like, but then I mass produced like ten shitty 1x1 tombs out of clay and gave him the first one.

They're all along the hall to his chambers. Shit maybe thats why he never goes in there. First thing he sees when he gets off the stairs is his own pathetic dirt tomb.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Most played game of 2022:

I got the Legendary edition of Mass Effect, so if that counts as 1 game then that one wins by a mile. I was running 2 characters in parallel to try out different choices and if it had had multiplayer, I probably would have played little else last year.

Second place is probably Trails for Cold Steel IV, which I played early in the year and is a long, long game.

Other games:
    Currently playing Persona 5 Royal, but just started, so not a lot of time in it. It will probably end up in 3rd place for the end of the year.

I went a couple of times through Tunic and Death's Door.

Started Caligula Effect, but lost interest so not a lot of hours into it.

Played and finished: Potion Permit, Norco, The Excavation of Hob's Barrow, Chorvs, Ruined King and Kathy Rain: the Director's Cut, but all were realtively short games.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Most played is probably either Being a DIK or REmake 3. There's a couple others in my Steam history with more hours, but I don't think all of those hours were gained this year.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Game: Probably Destiny 2, though there's been a lot of Slay the Spire and Satisfactory. Also a chunk of Monster Hunter Rise, Elden Ring and similar. Currently Midnight suns is seeing some good time

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    OFF STEAM

City of Heroes: Homecoming is still a dubiously legal fan-server, and I'm still going. They keep doing little updates; I've most recently been building a triform warshade and an inv/SS tanker (yeah, I know, but I never actually had one back in the day) and they've slightly tweaked power selection to give some choice in your original secondary and move the final powers down a tier or 2. Gives a little room to flex that I really appreciate.
    Genshin Impact continues to impact genshins worldwide. New country, new ziplines, new element, everybody wants to protect the radish, blah blah blah the big news here is that some mad lad said "but I can actually make Silent Realms work tho" and he was right.

ON STEAM

Strange Horticulture: use clues to identify plants and navigate maps to find more plants. Fun little deduction game.
    Rogue Tower: "roguelike tower defense" where the path extends and you get access to a random new tower or powerup after each wave goes down. Not visually fancy, very strategically fun.
    Sunshine Heavy Industries: not a game of this past year but something one of my youtube follows brought up as a forgotten game of years before. CAD up some starships to meet client requirements or just do SPACE MISCHIEF like sneaking a cloak drive out of somebody's starship while still keeping all the parts intact and cloaked at the end.
    Vampire Survivors: yeah you don't need me to tell you about this one. Throw around legally distinct from Castlevania weapons, annihilate a legally distinct from Castlevania horde, unlock powerful hidden forms, DOUBLE SUPER JACKPOT, now with a lore bible from James Stephanie Sterling.
    Orb Of Creation: an incremental-style game out from itch.io. Amass strange resources to do weird wizard things. Learn runes, cast spells, create new dimensions of space and time?
    Cat Cafe Manager: a cozy if simple restaurant builder which tries something interesting with six different barter currencies for the various ways you can expand your shop. Oh, and adorable cats for everyone to pet.
    CITIZEN SLEEPER: an excellent narrative game with a great aesthetic, the sort of early sci-fi where the grand constructions in the stars were dirty and greebly and lived-in.
    Nobody Saves the World: an isometric dungeon crawler where you transform into all kinds of crazy stuff, perform unique objectives to learn their powers, and mix and match them to become an unstoppable wave of destruction.
    Bear and Breakfast: a motel builder where you're a big ol' bear trying to bring the humans back to vacation with help from a trash-loving raccoon and an inflatable shark.
    Slaycation Paradise: a twinstick shooter with tower defense elements where dimensional travel is discovered but constrained to worlds where the apocalypse has already hit so you can't screw things up too badly, which is of course exploited for entertainment purposes by a dystopian megacorp.
    Dwarf Fortress: just when I was about to get out, they pull me back in

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Ive put a good few hours on Bannerlord this year, even if the game is not "new". And DooM Eternal, that I missed for some reason, loved it.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Lots of Destiny 2, lots of Gran Turismo 7 and a lot of Vampire Survivors.

Played a bit of Elden Ring, Returnal and Horizon Forbidden West, but not really enough to form an opinion on any of them.

Played through Fallen Order, that was alright.

Played some Tunic and Deaths Door, kinda meh on both of them.

Oh, FIFA 23 and eFootball whatever.
    Both are garbage.

edit: Stray. Stray was cool while it lasted, but the fact this is an edit is probably telling.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I loved Wylde Flowers, played a lot of Earth Defense Force and Warhammer 40k Martyr, RE:Legend and...

uh....

well hell i don't know. i tend to buy a game, play it for an hour or two and then buy another one and never go back

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Spent about a month total on the Quest For Glory franchise. "Trial By Fire" and "Shadows of Darkness" are the best entries, imo, with the former edging out the latter.

Made some progress in Heroine's Quest, but ultimately fell off part-way through. The combat element was overly complex and that's fine when it's mostly optional, but HQ's devs seemed to think it's the best thing and everyone should do it all the time. It's weird how I'm willing to learn e.g., the Snake Eyes Shirahagi fight but not a random Frost Giant encounter.

Sekiro is starting to take up some time. I'm not sure if I'm on a tangent; but instead of trying to head into the castle I took a hard left and fought Lone Shadow Longswordsman and now I'm off in some forest. Defeated a Mist Noble who died suspiciously fast (which concerns me) and now I'm circling back to Tokujiro the Glutton.

Realm Grinder is always running, but I consider that more of a toy than a game. I did dabble with several other idle / clickers: NGU Idle, AdVenture Capitalist, and Cell to Singularity; but can't really recommend any of them.

Replayed (with DLC) Outer Wilds. Still missing the "complete the ship log" achievement, which confuses me. I did end up getting "Mica's Wrath" and "From the Hearth to the Moon"; neither of which were as hard as they sound. They felt kinda weird, tbh.

Replayed Shipbreaker on the one-life mode. Save-scummed a couple of times when the game did something atypical; and once during Industrial Action to try it a different way. Technically I haven't finished it: I haven't ended the contract yet. I want to fill out the Data Miner log, but between being random and at-odds with how I prefer to play, that's gonna be hard.

Despite my many misgivings with the game, I do return to Satisfactory and dump days into it. Blueprints help, but it's difficult for me to work out an extensible model.

Did a nearly-complete run-through of Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey. Haven't quite hit the button to finish the game; iirc I still have a few feats to finish.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=retFTgfSz1A
    Be ready to experience the most explosive and cinematic visuals in any fighting game yet. Rage Night delivers massive explosions, stunning particle effects, and cinematic camera angles for true PvP combat like never before.
    20221215 Rage Night (Action Sports 3D Fighter Beat 'em up 3D )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrjk22GCcIw
    Metro Simulator 2 is a unique game featuring recreated Moscow Metro and realistic train controls.
    20221215 Metro Simulator 2 (Early Access Simulation First-Person 3D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_zlT1SB-sE
    Forge the legend of Baba Yaga, a girl accused of witchcraft and expelled from her home. Live out the origins of the Slavic myth in this one-of-a-kind blend of intense archery combat and dark storytelling set in a vibrant fairy tale world.
    20221215 BLACKTAIL (Story Rich Action-Adventure Archery Mythology )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZpQXskebDo
    Noun Town: VR Language Learning is the new way to learn a foreign language! Pick things up, listen, read, and speak your chosen language in a world that regains color as you learn. Test your skills with mini-games & talk to the local villagers. Learn Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, and more…
    20221215 Noun Town: VR Language Learning (VR Simulation Education Casual 3D )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4zb1yiFlQo
    Immortals Fenyx Rising brings grand mythological adventure to life. Play as Fenyx on a quest to save the Greek gods.
    20221215 Immortals Fenyx Rising (Action Adventure RPG Action-Adventure 3D )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTks5ptQEX0
    Melatonin is a rhythm game about dreams and reality merging together. It uses animations and sound cues to keep you on beat without any intimidating overlays or interfaces. Harmonize through a variety of dreamy levels containing surprising challenges, hand-drawn art, and vibrant music.
    20221215 Melatonin (Indie Rhythm Action Hand-drawn Colorful )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYJwXfsPG8
    An ultra-precise 2D platformer where you give robots instructions instead of directly controlling them. Master the campaign levels or create and share your own. “It’s Mario Maker with coding” - Lewis Brindley, Yogscast.
    20221215 Bots Are Stupid (Casual 2D Platformer Robots Programming )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT84cIosX68 After the empire invented the airship, people finally became able to fly across float continents and islands. And thanks to that, the empire expands rapidly.The top hunter, Erza, leads an exploration team to explore the savage frontier where the empire can’t reach.
    20221215 Frontier Hunter: Erza’s Wheel of Fortune ()

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Microsoft won't tell its players what games they played the most this past year.

But if I had to wager a guess? I think maybe Full Throttle?

Part of me suspects it could be Overwatch 2 and if that is true, I am blaming @Cello.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mine is almost assuredly OW/2.
    Star Valor
    Elden Ring
    Gems of War
    Binding of Isaac
    And Genshin probably make up the rest of the top.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Best game I played this year was Disco Elysium

Most played is Cities Skylines. But that's not really a game, more of a personality disorder.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Most Played:

FFXIV (I think I might actually be doing the opposite of coming around on this game, I'm starting to find it ... really repetitive and haven't enjoyed the patch content at all? I've been playing nonstop for two years straight so maybe that's it.)
    WoW Classic.
    Uh, God Of War Ragnarok? That game is fucking long.
    Destiny 2
    Elden Ring

Top 5:
    Signalis
    Elden Ring
    Splatoon 3
    WoW Classic (I don't even have nostalgia for WOTLK, it's just good!)
    Immortality

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Most hours is probably Destiny 2, like a day after a friend got me into it they announced a pirate-themed season so I jumped from 'trying out this free thing' to 'grab a season pass and grind out every achievement' in record time.

But Vampire Survivors is probably a close contender thanks to being able to put it on during slow periods at work.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Most played is Cities Skylines. But that's not really a game, more of a personality disorder.

Cities Skylines is definitely a disease, I get the itch sometimes, but instead of reinstalling it I go watch some videos about it.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Elden Ring was 100h for me.
    Apex is probably in the same realm.

After that a pretty big gap, didn't completely fall for anything else (unless you count running Increlution for hours on end in the background, doing a few clicks at the end of runs).

Vanpire Survivors is probably 60h or so, nearly 100%

I like Midnight Suns, meh'd at Gotham Knights, I liked Cult of the Lamb, I played and not finished a few jurps that left little impression

It all felt like there was a lot of decent quality but not a ton of outstanding games, at least in the niches that I like to play (I love the idea of Pentiment much more than playing it)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    It's been increasingly difficult for me to justify games that take longer than 15-20hrs to finish for myself if I can't also play them with friends anymore. I thought I easily had 40 hours in the new God of War, I feel like I've been playing it all I can find the time for since it came out a month ago and apparently I've played like 27? What the hell!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Cities Skylines is definitely a disease, I get the itch sometimes, but instead of reinstalling it I go watch some videos about it.

I just recently got into workshop mods and assets in a major way after being inspired by some youtubers I watch who showed me you can do things I never would have thought of by myself. I used to start a city and get bored after a couple of hours but it turns out I just needed to get deep into detailing and I can actually make things I like.
    fbqp02xy90kb.jpg

thl2oyx62ai2.jpg

kfyt2fkjeqss.jpg

vee9sy1qdh4z.jpg

1xy5ynrfh97g.jpg

This is also why I ultimately decided against getting a Steam Deck. Daddy needs more RAM.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Daddy needs more RAM.

i want this shirt

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Let's see, this year I think I played:

Lord of the Rings Online
    Dragon's Dogma
    Hyper Demon
    Minecraft
    Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord
    Morrowind
    Dwarf Fortress

Probably other stuff too but my memory is poopoo

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I just keep playing boatloads of Skyrim and Fallout 4.

I’ll finally buy Cyberpunk when the expansion comes out.

sarukun on
This discussion has been closed.