As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's been increasingly difficult for me to justify games that take longer than 15-20hrs to finish for myself if I can't also play them with friends anymore. I thought I easily had 40 hours in the new God of War, I feel like I've been playing it all I can find the time for since it came out a month ago and apparently I've played like 27? What the hell!
    I just can't play overly long games, not unless they're something truly special. Generally 20 hour is the "this better have either a good mechanical loop or a good story hook" barrier, 30 hours is when most mechanics start feeling gamey and I need story/theme to carry me through, and anything past 40 is a miracle. I think XBC2 and Elden Ring were the only games that pushed past that this year.

I think this is why I bounce off most roguelikes, they're designed to be (re)played for dozens of hours and pure mechanics don't hold my interest long enough for that.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It's been increasingly difficult for me to justify games that take longer than 15-20hrs to finish for myself if I can't also play them with friends anymore. I thought I easily had 40 hours in the new God of War, I feel like I've been playing it all I can find the time for since it came out a month ago and apparently I've played like 27? What the hell!
    I just can't play overly long games, not unless they're something truly special. Generally 20 hour is the "this better have either a good mechanical loop or a good story hook" barrier, 30 hours is when most mechanics start feeling gamey and I need story/theme to carry me through, and anything past 40 is a miracle. I think XBC2 and Elden Ring were the only games that pushed past that this year.

I think this is why I bounce off most roguelikes, they're designed to be (re)played for dozens of hours and pure mechanics don't hold my interest long enough for that.

i'm way opposite; if the mechanics grab me i'll be at that shit for YEARS

if something's listed as like 4-7 hours i'll usually skip it completely

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Vampire Survivors DLC is live! Make sure to check out the various bundle options to save yourself a whopping $0.40 or so. It's the holidays after all, and every little bit counts.

HOLY CRAP MICROPROSE IS DOING A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE XCOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GyA_wCnR4k

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

That's an unfortunate (or hilarious) title if you speak French

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    One more new release for today
    https://youtu.be/A_wPGkUTJJI

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Oh I have RCG2 as a Friday release

edited December 2022
    Not gonna lie, for a while I thought Pentiment was this game and was very confused when people spoke about solving mysteries.

Glal on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vampire Survivors DLC is live! Make sure to check out the various bundle options to save yourself a whopping $0.40 or so. It's the holidays after all, and every little bit counts.

I dunno, is there a way to send them more?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Odin wrote: »

thank goodness no one does

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I completely forgot how much Vampire Survivors and Overwatch 2 I played this year lol, that's a lot of each

Amazon Games Will Publish Crystal Dynamics' Next Tomb Raider Game gameinformer.com/2022/12/15/ama…

"The as-yet-untitled new Tomb Raider is a single-player, narrative-driven adventure that continues Lara Croft's story in the Tomb Raider series."

I'm not sure what the Embracer->Amazon connection is here

thank goodness no one does

edited December 2022

Epic Games Store Holiday Sale (includes unlimited 25% off coupons that applies on spending $14.99+ on games) bit.ly/3Fz87x9

Coupon: bit.ly/3V1T44T

use creator code Wario64 on checkout if you want to support, or some other code to support any other creator #ad
    Bloons TD 6 is free on Epic Games Store. another MYSTERY GAME will be free tomorrow (see image for clue) bit.ly/3qQwIr3

Brolo on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I follow a couple streamers who are obssessed with Bloons once every couple months, it looks kinda fun? But for free I'll take it

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I follow a couple streamers who are obssessed with Bloons once every couple months, it looks kinda fun? But for free I'll take it

I love Bloons 6 on my phone. The Bloons series are pretty good tower defense games that the devs support for a looooong time.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Guess I'm playing more Vampire Survivors tonight

Maddoc on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Most played games time wise probably end up being:
    Elden Ring, which I really liked but didn't and probably never will get around to finishing 92 hours of solid entertainment for me.
    A gaggle of strategy games (triangle strategy, diofield chronicles, midnight suns, expeditions rome, mario rabbids which I paused on)
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was great and long.
    Also enjoyed God of War Ragnarok for what it was.
    And started the year off with FF7 remake which worked well for me despite not having history with the original.

Shorter stuff I also quite liked this year:
    Citizen Sleeper
    Immortality
    Return to Monkey Island
    The Quarry
    Pentiment/Case of the Golden Idol/Centennial Case holding down the mysteries.

And Vampire Survivors and Marvel Snap for time sinks.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There were a few smaller experiences I would not put on my "most played" just because by hours count they weren't, but Citizen Sleeper, Norco, Pentiment, Return to Monkey Island

It's been a fucking good year for adventure games

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Is there a way to see time played on Steam by year? I know I put time into games this year that weren't released this year, but time has folded over on itself and I'm not sure what was 2022 versus any other year.

Like I know I beat Yakuza 0 this year, but I'm pretty sure most of my 84 hours played were in 2021.

Yeah I checked Steam; Xenoverse, Mass Effect Legendary, and Guardians were all last year lol.

Looking through Steam/Gamepass: I played Stray which was a very enjoyable game that I loved. I tried Lost Ark as the animations were really great. But most classes were not really great with a controller and with the massive amount of MMO trappings, I couldn't make it through the story. Also played The Riftbreaker, which was right up my alley and I loved. Currently finishing up Grounded, which has been really fun and I can't wait to dive back in with friends.

It's been a busy year, so not too many 40+ hour games for me. A lot more co-op games with friends, Deep Rock is still going strong, one of the better "hang while doing stuff game". Aliens Fireteam was excellent from a gameplay/theme standpoint. Gunfire Reborn kind of fell off as the new boss was just too annoying for our group. WH40k: Gladius sees a ton of play still as well with them continuing to add factions, just requires a longer play session that's planned out.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Might be time to give Vampire Swansong a try.
    I wouldn't call The Council good, but it was an experience.

Trying to think what else I've forgotten about in Epic. Maybe Stranger in Paradise or Solar Ash. Probably not right now.
    I feel like the list of games I didn't play this year that are still on my list of things to try and get to is overly long.
    Tunic
    Devil in Me
    Chained Echoes
    Metal Hellsinger
    Chinatown Detective Agency
    Card Shark
    Vampire Swansong
    Neon White
    Live a Live
    Frog Detective 3
    As Dusk Falls
    Stray
    Cult of the Lamb
    Atari 50? Maybe. Sounds cool but not sure I have enough requisite nostalgia
    Signalis
    Tactics Ogre
    And if the right mood hits maybe Harvestella.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

i'm way opposite; if the mechanics grab me i'll be at that shit for YEARS

if something's listed as like 4-7 hours i'll usually skip it completely

Yeah I'm watching a big mechanics person I'll often get annoyed at things like story getting in the way

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I can't vouch if this is entirely correct but people have figured out evolutions for the new weapons in VS. Spoilered, of course;
    Silver Wind - evolves with max pummarola
    Four Seasons - evolves with candelabrador and spinach
    Summon Night - evolves with duplicator
    Mirrage Orb - evolves with attractorb
    Night Sword - evolves with max stone mask
    Mille Bolle Blu - evolves with spellbinder
    108 Bocce - no evolution ?

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I love long games, especially ones with replay value. With all the games getting pushed to 2023, been a lot of playing prior year releases like Civ, Snowrunner, Cyberpunk. Longer games of 2022 have been Chaos Gate, Dinkum, Midnight Suns, Marvel Snap, Lost Ark.

It's been a weird year so no GotY for me (not into Elden Ring or God of War).

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I speak French and I don’t get what you’re saying. Is it just lol cul?

no one speaks french

they just exist. frenchly.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

no one speaks french

I don’t appreciate the joke.

edited December 2022

no one speaks french

Je n'apprécie pas la blague.

QUE?!?

Magic Pink on
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    She hates Sam Barlow's games, has said previously that he makes the same game over and over again

I could kind of see this argument for her story/telling lies, like those games are very similar even though they have surface level differences (and TL has more characters).

Immortality though is...so different from those games. Other than being you interfacing with FMV sequences, they are so different mechanically and subject matter wise

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    haaaaaaaaaaaaa

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Sekiro

is there a point where I can purchase divine confetti or acquire it from enemies?

Tamin on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    my only real exposure to the WoW community was The Great Shadowbringers Migration so I'm curious how folks are reacting to that news

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.gamedeveloper.com/blogs/let-s-revisit-all-the-big-claims-about-blockchain-games-from-2022
    Opinion: Let's revisit the big claims about blockchain games from 2022

Was there any merit to the earth-shaking claims made by the blockchain games crowd in 2022? Let's look back.

The answer is no.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If I were Blizzard I would hire someone new and good as Leadership Team Creative Advisor instead of someone old and shit

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Sekiro

is there a point where I can purchase divine confetti or acquire it from enemies?

yes, to both but I don't know which ones you can farm for it (its still a low drop rate)

beating a certain boss will open it up at the merchant

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    it is my fervent hope that every last blockchain fucker is stomped on the balls every time they try to shill their bullshit

“I knocked him down and I kicked him in the balls, and I kept kicking him there until he was dead,” Hot Pie boasted.

“I kicked him all to pieces. His balls were broke open and bloody and his cock turned black."

This discussion has been closed.