As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not asking for everything. I'm asking for the single most important thing ever.

Frosteey on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ohohoho, fun with the character creator:

magestrold6.png

I...I think I like it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, Archer is the most boring thing in the fucking world. So I made a warefox :3

send a guild invite when you get the chance to :Tantrum:

I tried Tantrum :3 but it was taken T_T

Oh man, you can edit your avatar after creation. I love this game. I constantly reroll after playing for 3-4 hours in a game until i find a look I like.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Been playing a Werebeast for the past few hours, after leveling as a Priest, this no nonsense melee stuff works fairly well.

Seg on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bendery wrote: »
    Oh man, you can edit your avatar after creation. I love this game.
    For a limited time only, but yes.

Glal on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Bendery wrote: »
    Oh man, you can edit your avatar after creation. I love this game.
    For a limited time only, but yes.

You CAN change it after two days, it just isn't free anymore.

Every MMOG needs a character editor this robust. You can make anyone; celebrities, yourself, or the most horrible creation known to mankind. I wish WoW had something like this.

Here's my revised look, I needed to be a bit more sinister:

magestro2wb5.png

I chose human, but I prefer Djini.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got bored =-/

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. Don't think I like this game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2008
    I even used a hex editor to set a certain 1 to stay at 1 whenever i did a specific action, like say jump. So that i could repeatedly do said action till i reached ungodly high altitudes.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    magestro2wb5.png
    I chose human, but I prefer Djini.
    ...your weapon is a spine. Want!

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    ...your weapon is a spine. Want!
    Available at the local blacksmith for a few g. :P

Aldo on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll play this game for the lulz.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone send me a guild invite when they can. I don't think I've gotten one yet. Haven't been on much the past couple of days though.

EDIT: Nevermind this, it's been taken care off.

ANOTHER EDIT: Just came across this. http://pw.rob-soft.com/m1my.php Seems like a database for creatures and such, so it could be useful for finding what monsters drop what loot.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i'm installing this now

FrylockHolmes on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a pretty sweet deer antler staff that i won't be using, any mages (need to be lvl9) that want it are free to it.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I'm just curious.

And I'm not trolling, honestly.

But did NCSoft (arena.net) sell most of their assets to some Korean companies? Because most of the models I've seen in the screens for this game are literally identical (with slightly different skins) to many Guild Wars character models.

I guess what I'm asking is what is arena.net/NCsofts relationship to the company who made this game?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    None whatsoever, the reason why they might seem similar is because the character is practically 100% customizable. You can make the face look any way you wish through sliders, and change the size of body parts as well. So... the reason they look a lot like them? Cause peopled tried to copy from them I guess.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • NidaNida Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But did NCSoft (arena.net) sell most of their assets to some Korean companies? Because most of the models I've seen in the screens for this game are literally identical (with slightly different skins) to many Guild Wars character models.

I guess what I'm asking is what is arena.net/NCsofts relationship to the company who made this game?
    As far as I can find (wiki/Cubinet website/English fansites) there's no relationship between the two companies.

Kind of hard to believe though they appear so identical considering you can just about customized the size and shape of almost every part of their body (especially the face).
    Well, Werebeasts excluded. Their customization sucks balls.

Maybe it's just our taste that resembles it? XD

Ooo, just for fun, a comparison since I have characters on both:
    Perfect World < - - - - - - - - - - > Guild Wars
    2lxiihj.jpg2pqw5ms.jpg

Bah, I like my GW armor better -pout-
    You CAN change it after two days, it just isn't free anymore.
    It can still be free... in a way.
    I got a transfiguration scroll after completing one of my quests <3

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    I was going to find some screenshots to put up to compare but my 360 is eating all my bandwidth downloading videos of games I may or may not want to buy.

Oh well, it's not a big surprise whatever the connection. Most Korean MMO's tend to have that Lineage/Guild Wars/FFXI sort of model/texture look that is pretty damn similar. Probably because they're so popular.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited February 2008
    [strike]Korean[/strike] Malaysian =D

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    Oh, heh.

Dur.

Anyway, carry on. Nothing to see here.

>.>

The Dude With Herpes on

edited February 2008
    Truthfully the korean MMO's had that sort of modeling first if I remember, also Perfect World is technically a Chinese MMO =P. You have the people who try to make their characters the prettiest little princesses they can be, regardless of gender or you have my character:
    arthiloi7.jpg

I am one manly-man.

Arthil on
    edited February 2008
    There's always this >D
    np5lko.jpg

Which reminds me. Someone made the fatest werebeast evar!
    Compleely messed with all it's porortions. I wish I thought of it first.

And oh yeah, just cubinet is Malaysian. Whoops ^-^;

Nida on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    guy needs moar chops. personally, my bloke is a rather lithe lad. I did scale back the big blue anime eyes that I had on him originally, and I added a fucking sweet stache, but he's still as sexy as can be.

edit: Nida, what the hell that is hideous. It's like the gayrape creampuff of mmo's. I love it.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited February 2008
    I was going for a Homosexual Indian Bear look, but there needs to be body hair options -nodnod-

Nida on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I noticed this with monster design, as well. The ElderGoth outside of EtherSword are the Stranglethorn gorillas in WoW with blood added for effect.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited February 2008
    Eh that is generalizing a bit don't you think? Sure its a Gorilla, though WoW wasn't the first game to have Gorilla in their game.

Arthil on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the Taurens are pretty blatant, but I don't care. It isn't as if Blizzard created Minotaurs.

Seg on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Eh that is generalizing a bit don't you think? Sure its a Gorilla, though WoW wasn't the first game to have Gorilla in their game.
    I mean it's the exact same gorilla model and texture. Torn from WoW. And then re-painted.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited February 2008
    I'm taking a good look at the Gorilla model in WoW Model Viewer... and they aren't the same. The one for PW has got lots of extra bits to it and the face is completely different, not to mention the hands. Not too many ways to make a Gorilla really =/.

Arthil on
    edited February 2008
    The only ElderGoths I remember seeing had spiked armor shoulder pads and ponytails Owo

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    I killed them for close to twenty or thirty minutes straight and not only did the face look exactly the same, but the entire form and idle animations were basically identical. Here's a comparison shot. Not the greatest job ever(in fact, the quality is terrible), but you can see every single similarity that I'm talking about.

gorilla.jpg

From the beard, to the lips, to the teeth, the spot of blood covering up the chin goatee, the space on the sides, the swollen stomach, exact number of fingers and toes, with similar modeling and textures on each, to the knot of hair on the top of their heads. Eyes, lines in the face, everything. It's a palette swap, albeit it one with cosmetic "extra bits". Any differences in appearance are the fault of re-coloration and slight remodeling, like the hands behaving differently.

Christ, they even scratched their ass in the same way.

EDIT: I need a life.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited February 2008
    Forehead is different, the ones in WoW have tuft of hair on their head, the other one is a ponytail. Shoulderpads would be a part of the model... oh the placement of the brow is different too not to mention there is no beard is sight on the Eldergoth. Its far larger overall than the WoW Gorilla, bigger arms and a wider face. So pretty much posting those images just showed that you were wrong man, just because another games model of a 'Gorilla' looks like a WoW one does not mean they took the same model and messed with it.

Arthil on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hear the trees are green and leafy as well. Honestly Perfect World, what the hell?

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited February 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Forehead is different
    One line difference.
    the ones in WoW have tuft of hair on their head, the other one is a ponytail.
    Small extension to the hair.
    oh the placement of the brow is different too
    Not seeing it. I'm looking at the two models side-by-side on my screen and it's the same. The picture doesn't convey that very well. If there's any difference at all, it's miniscule.
    not to mention there is no beard is sight on the Eldergoth.
    That hair hanging down from its face? Beard.

Look, this isn't a denigration of Perfect World. But it's obvious that they've borrowed art and ideas from other games. This ElderGoth model here is a perfect example of that and whatever differences you pointed out were things I already conceded, because they're extremely small tweaks to make the creature look more intimidating. Tweaks do not a completely unique model make.

In any case, I'm not arguing anymore. Over gorillas. I think they look like a palette swap. Sorry if anyone else disagrees.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited February 2008
    I'm just trying to figure out how you think they both spawned from the same model, they didn't. They have similarities yes but... as I said, both are supposed to be Gorillas or look like one in Perfect Worlds case. There isn't much difference that can be made for a Gorilla, the models are obviously based on the actual animal so of course its going to look somewhat alike.

Arthil on
    edited February 2008
    I agree, they are quite similar, but if it was a rip, it's rather unfinished/imcomplete...
    They don't even open their mouths D:
    (at least as far as I've seen with the Eldergoth Marksman)

Are the other one's ranged too and run away from you on two feet?
    I hate the mobs that run, but not half as much as the one's that blow up in my face when they die.

Nida on
    edited February 2008
    I don't mind running mobs so much thanks to Dragon Emerge. It doesn't have a super long range, but most of the mobs I've fought don't run far enough to avoid it. Unfortunately, DE seems to cancel my auto-attack and I have to get back in there or else my character will just stand around like an idiot while this little thing with a glowy staff shoots fireballs at her face.

Moved from by above post: Are warriors the de-facto tanking class like in other games? They certainly have aggro-generating abilities, but will they use shields and so forth or their other gear to mitigate the damage? At level 10, I've noticed that my one "threat" skill hits pretty hard. So is it about gathering hate based on pure damage and +threat modifiers?

Liquid Ghost on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How big is this game to download? I might have to clear some space.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's 2.5 Gigs.

Nida on