As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Yeah lifting is not good thinking time but that's kinda the point for me, tuning my brain out and focusing on my body and on high energy music is where it's at. I like the focus on a short amount of intense work, I've never been able to get into a mental flow state with running (and for context's sake I did one round of Couch to 5k and the accompanying 5k, because I told my wife I would), I just get bored and hate it.

I'm also the farthest thing from built for running, my body's always liked going fast and hard but not for long (phrasing), so nothing's suited me better than lifting.

Obligatory Eric Bugenhagen video, saying lifting is boring, the very idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PIVJ3t9A24

This is my thing. I like strength training because I can't think about other stuff. I'm focused on what I'm doing!

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My new Garmin watch has a neat feature where it suggest a running workout based on previous runs, how much rest it things I have and any races I have scheduled coming up.

My general training for running is usually "just pile on the miles" but I decided to see what it would have me do this week leading up to my marathon on Sunday.

It knew it was taper week but still has me do a last threshold run last night and it was a nice change to have a goal to work towards during my run.

I have another marathon in February and I'm going to try to follow it's recommendations 100% just to see what kind of results I get.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I used to find lifting boring but that was when I was only really given light weights and didn't see much of a physique difference with 'em

Now I absolutely love to see number go up

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Lifting basically turns your life into an RPG and if that isn't appealing to you on some level then I'm sorry but we can't be best friends.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    An RPG is the perfect analogy for me because I tend to bounce hard off rpg's where I don't enjoy the core loop, and I've always had trouble keeping with any lifting routine long enough for numbers to start going up.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    An RPG is the perfect analogy for me because I tend to bounce hard off rpg's where I don't enjoy the core loop, and I've always had trouble keeping with any lifting routine long enough for numbers to start going up.

Unskippable tutorials are the worst.

steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Lifting basically turns your life into an RPG and if that isn't appealing to you on some level then I'm sorry but we can't be best friends.

I mean, I totally agree and get that for lifting.

But you can do the same thing for running/cycling and other cardio. Like, right now I am working on getting my mile time better while not exceeding my zone 2 heart rate. It’s the same “numbers get better” feel to me.

(Climbing also really hits the videogame itch for me, but more due to puzzle solving).

Inquisitor on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    Rolling through the strength blocks for my programming and it’s becoming apparent that I’ve had a massively successful bulk this year, even after losing a few pounds to Covid. My estimated one rep maxes for squats and deadlifts are up by the tens, which is a lot for a lifter of my age, and my bench is up a bit, too. I’m heading towards reping weights I’ve never even lifted for singles, which is crazy. Very excited for my peak.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I'm pretty firmly in the running camp with some strength to help. I did start upping the numbers with my weights a few months ago and saw a difference in physique in the mirror, but I'm still Timothee Chalamet thin with rather defined arms and legs.

That is until almost a month ago. I did a 24 mile hike in one day which I did no prep for given the weight I would carry, followed by a half marathon 2 weeks after that. The combination of all that really messed up my hip, so I took a good long break from any activity, tried again, and still felt the hip pain hit me around mile 6 of running.

Fast forward to today and I've got a fever... fuck. I think I'm gonna be grounded for another week at this point and marathon training is supposed to be starting up!

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I've been training for my firefighter physical test by doing 170 step stair climb ascents with a 100 lb hiking backpack, and oh man is that spicy on the glutes

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    On the liver king side of things since I’m late to the party: no shit he was using gear

On the sensible side of things: yeah organ meats are super cheap and loaded with nutrients they’re just rather unappealing but millions of predators can’t be wrong about eating them first.

Just ignore the fact that most of the time they start with the asshole.

Like liver and onions is ostensibly a great meal! Just fried up, not raw like a douchebag with HGH gut

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Secured lifting shoes, went with the latest iteration of my old ones, the Adidas Powerlifts. The difference in feeling when squatting is dramatic.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Just curious and I thought that this would be the right place to ask. How much does equipment add to your lifts, for example, how much does a belt add to a deadlift/squat? How much do proper lifting shoes add to a squat, or is that more of a safety issue?

steam_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Any recommendations for a weight rack that would fit in a shorter ceiling? I'm in a place where the basement's like just barely 7 feet and my nice power rack doesn't fit at all.

It's very annoying, I feel like I could also just do this in a room on the second floor but then I worry about the weight. That's the whole point of a basement, to be a dank gray box that's a default weight room!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    A good lifting belt is the single best investment you'll make in terms of how much better you'll feel. It'll make it easier to lift bigger weights safely, it's the first thing you should buy when you start lifting. There's no direct "using it you'll lift x amount more" but you'll notice the difference.

Some people like to squat in squat shoes, some don't. The closer your stance is, the more likely you'll like them, but that's not a hard and fast rule. I prefer back squatting in flat shoes personally. Frylock can probably give you a better rundown of the benefits they provide, I haven't used them regularly in years.

Did my 4th marathon in a year this morning!

I wasn't aiming for a PR, instead wanted to fully run the marathon at a semi consistent pace and hopefully come under 4 hours.

I managed both! Ran around 8:50ish for most of it, with my last miles cooking closer to 9:30. I never stopped running though, even if I ended up literally limping across the finish line. And my final time was 3:57.

Also as someone that struggled with body issues most of their lives (and still do occasionally) it's hard to say this but I LOOK GOOD!1sc9mst6mh6c.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I wasn't aiming for a PR, instead wanted to fully run the marathon at a semi consistent pace and hopefully come under 4 hours.

I managed both! Ran around 8:50ish for most of it, with my last miles cooking closer to 9:30. I never stopped running though, even if I ended up literally limping across the finish line. And my final time was 3:57.

Also as someone that struggled with body issues most of their lives (and still do occasionally) it's hard to say this but I LOOK GOOD! *SNIP*

That's a great top dude.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    The raised heel on weightlifting shoes helps me a lot because I only front squat, which tends to involve more ankle flexion/need for ankle flexibility.

It also just makes me feel more stuck to the ground and stable.

@durandal4532 all of Titan Fitness's racks and squat stands come in short heights (82 inches) and they've got a t-2 that can be 71. I've been using one for seven years and it's held up just fine.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A good lifting belt is the single best investment you'll make in terms of how much better you'll feel. It'll make it easier to lift bigger weights safely, it's the first thing you should buy when you start lifting. There's no direct "using it you'll lift x amount more" but you'll notice the difference.

Some people like to squat in squat shoes, some don't. The closer your stance is, the more likely you'll like them, but that's not a hard and fast rule. I prefer back squatting in flat shoes personally. Frylock can probably give you a better rundown of the benefits they provide, I haven't used them regularly in years.
    I want to add a little nuance here. Belts help you lift more safely because they help you to brace. Bracing your core is the key to safe and effective lifting. A belt gives you something to expand your abdomen against and provide a tactile cue so you are 100% positive that you have stabilized your abdomen and are ready to lift. I personally have found having a belt invaluable for doing so, but there are many strong people who can effectively brace without a belt.

I don’t squat anymore without squat shoes (Nike Romaleos 4). I’m a tall lifter and I find myself much more comfortable using them, but this is totally dependent on your individual physiology. A more intermediate step is to buy some heel inserts and use them in your regular shoes (VersaLifts are what I tried first).

I also recommend knee sleeves, for support purposes. I sprained my LCL a few years ago in a gym accident, but have had no issues since moving progressively heavier weights, which I attribute partially to my sleeves.

@durandal4532 Rep Fitness sells 80 inch racks.

Gork on
    I’ve never used a lifting belt so there may be stuff to critique here, but RP’s info is generally quality in my experience

https://youtu.be/U-S-Tb7KNb4

Inzer single prong used to be the gold standard but selection's gotten better since I bought mine a decade ago. Generally there's no reason to buy double prong unless you're a masochist and I know some people prefer lever but I like the flexibility that a prong belt gives you, both in that you can decide more easily how tight you want it and you can more easily accommodate shifting waist size.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I did my squats yesterday, if I’d worn my belt I could have comfortably pushed for a couple more reps and another set.

But I didn’t so I just did a couple of triples and called it a day.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Every couple of years I think I'll start wearing a belt, but it always throws my lifts off. Just don't like the way it feels. Doesn't matter how hard I brace, I don't like the feeling of a ridgid piece of leather around my stomach. I love lifting shoes though, and wrist straps have made deadlifts so much more enjoyable.

Anyway, I worked up to 200kg deadlift today. New PR.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I hit a PR for bench press today. So that was nice.

Also - what kind of earbuds are people digging for weights and working out these days? I had a nice little wired wireless (you know, like the old mittens) pair that saw a few too many boat projects and I kinda killed them.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My bench press has really atrophied.

Actually most of my lifts have.

This is a Bad Thing.

https://youtube.com/shorts/h_qPxE3s74E?feature=share

12 second hang off my index fingers only I.e the monos

Pretty happy with that

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    This is just a ploy to stealthily flip us all off, isn't it?

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Also as someone that struggled with body issues most of their lives (and still do occasionally) it's hard to say this but I LOOK GOOD!1sc9mst6mh6c.jpg

You look great kyou. Everytime you post I get motivated a little more. And your fashion posts are spot on.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I hit a PR for bench press today. So that was nice.

Also - what kind of earbuds are people digging for weights and working out these days? I had a nice little wired wireless (you know, like the old mittens) pair that saw a few too many boat projects and I kinda killed them.
    Not earbuds, but on the subject of audio gear while working out I LOVE my AfterShokz Aeropex, which are apparently now called Shokz Openrun. Great sound, and most importantly they stay on my head. Earbuds always fall out for me even just walking and normal headphones fall off while running, but these things stay on like they’re glued in place. They’re also very water resistant; I’ve worn them through ninety minute runs in pouring rain, and they never hd the slightest issue. Also, they charge fast, and I haven’t found a way to accidentally destroy them yet.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Likewise, can’t keep earbuds in doing a light stretching session but AfterShokz stay on during an intense sprinting workout, while still letting me hear if a car is going to run me over. I’m a fan!

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I got those Samsung Galaxy Bud pros or some such when I got my phone and they've been surprisingly really great.

The only exercise I can't do without them falling out are like, burpees. They stay put for 99% of everything else I do including going for runs.

schuss wrote: »
    This is just a ploy to stealthily flip us all off, isn't it?

You caught me ;)

I'm trying to mix up my grip positions in hangs at the moment. Makes it more fun and probably will target some weaknesses

edited December 2022

You look great kyou. Everytime you post I get motivated a little more. And your fashion posts are spot on.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

It's cliche and corny but I like to think I'm an example of it's never too late. I just turned 40 and I have never felt as good and confident in myself v as I currently do.

It's not just appreciating what I look like but what I can do. I went lead climbing at my gym yesterday and for a moment thought how wild it was that I was on the walls two days after a marathon.

Kyougu on
    I got stitches in my neck and back last week and not being able to lift weights or run or climb is driving me batty.

I get them out in another week but I miss working out

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I got stitches in my neck and back last week and not being able to lift weights or run or climb is driving me batty.

I get them out in another week but I miss working out

At first I thought you meant stitches like how you can get side stitches when running and I was trying to figure out how you managed to do that lol

JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2022
    The Washington Post has a series of articles about bodybuilding and some of its problematic elements, including the sexual exploitation of female competitors and the dangers of the PED use and the ugly reality of the business of the NPC, it's pretty well reported and eye opening.

Edit: paywalled, I know, but you get a few free each month.

Peen on
    My bouldering strength is higher than ever right now, but my base strength has definitely dropped a bit

Time to rebase in the new year I think. Bench Press, Weighted Pullups, Deadlifts and Overhead Press in January. Probs bicep curls too cos you know. Gotta look juicy :D

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Starting to get through the clothes definition to my arms!
    yy8yeasce0wy.jpg

Not feeling too shabby at 34, especially considering how I started 30.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    So I just had an appointment with my surgeon and locked in my surgery date

4 weeks from today I'm getting a Roux En-Y gastric bypass.

I am dropping into this thread I never visit with an update!
    A week after this post I started the surgery prep diet to shrink my liver in time for the surgery (Almost all the mass lost during times of very rapid weight loss comes from the liver and shrinking it down as small as possible moves it out of the way of the surgery site and significantly lowers the probability of complications). I ate 600 calories a day, mostly in the form of protein shakes or bars, but some simple snacks like a boiled egg or some lunch meat, and 1 real meal a day of 3 cups of vegetables and 120g of lean meat with a couple tablespoons of fat. By the end of those 3 weeks I was absolutely reveling in a giant bowl of riced cauliflower and garlic corn cooked with a knob of butter and a sliced sautéed chicken breast. Lots of people who I've talked to about the surgery called the prep diet the worst part, but I didn't mind it at all.

I went under for my surgery on the morning of Wednesday December 14th, woke up 5 hours later in recovery and spent 3 nights in the ward weening myself off Hydromorphone and trying to sleep. The MOMENT I woke up I was able to comfortably swallow water and later that same day I could drink clear broth and eat jello, drink enough water to take all my pills and stand up out of my bed to walk to the bathroom and pee by myself. I honestly don't know how my surgeon was able to do what she did so cleanly.
    TW Description of Surgery
    She cut my esophagus off my stomach and attached it directly to my intestines, then plugged my stomach at the top and hooked the bottom up further down so the acid it makes can still dissolve what little food I can eat, then she stapled it all together using a fucking ROBOT
    , and after all that bullshit, you could tell me they forgot to actually do the bypass part and I would believe you. The only discomfort I have is from the wounds on my stomach and the trauma to my abdominal muscles. It's WILD.

Anyway I've now been home a few days and feel much better, I can do pretty much everything myself except sit upright from prone, for that I still need my wife's help. And every time I stand up and walk around it's easier than the time before. I really REALLY wish I could roll over onto my tummy to sleep, or even my side. I can't stand sleeping on my back - because of that my sleep has been kind of garbage even since I got home. The first night I can roll onto and sleep on my side is probably going to be the most blissful sleep of my life so far.

So, here are some numbers:
    Highest weight: 413lb (187kg) December 2021
    Approved for surgery: 383lb (174kg) May 2022
    Starting prep diet: 373lb (169kg) November 2022
    Surgery day: 358lb (162kg) December 2022
    Surgery day +5: 351lb (159kg)

There are a bunch of calculators of how much weight I should lose based on my height, weight at time of surgery and sex, and they're on a bell curve.
    Right smack in the middle of the bell curve puts me at 223lb 18 months from now, which is when most people have fully settled into their new diet and routine and most people start putting on weight again. Everyone regains some of the lost weight, but again it's on a bell curve and 90% of patients never regain more than 50% of the weight lost.

I'm very much looking forward to having healed enough to start exercising in the spring. Even while I was on 600 calories a day during prep I found I had way more energy and stamina for simple activities being 60 pounds lighter then I was. Being 100 pounds lighter is going to feel like I've gained super powers.

Anyways, I'm doing very well and feeling super positive, if sore and exhausted. My wife and 5 year old are gonna go spend Christmas with my in-laws and give me the place to myself for a few nights during which I think I'll knock out God of War Ragnarok.